Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Funky Valentine posted:

Is there any child in this school who has a parent who is both alive and not terrible?

Alois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Funky Valentine posted:

Is there any child in this school who has a parent who is both alive and not terrible?

jeralt is a pretty caring dad, even if byleth is a robot

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

is it gonna be a problem trying to tackle this paralogue if my lorenz is noticeably behind the rest of the house

you'll just have to bring along one weak unit, should be fine.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Ingrid isn’t doing that bad parents wise.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lorenz has a paralogue that gives a hero relic that is a +2 range to all spells staff.

Put it on Lysithea and she is not so much a woman as a tiny god

Lysithea's personal skill also doubles her class mastery rate, so it's downright easy to put her through Mercenary, get Vantage, and become immune to all enemies

She's basically this game's Ophelia: looks frail but has such a busted loadout that nothing matters but her magic stat.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 30, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm a few missions into part 2 and even super defensive tanks with shields aren't working out too well. Mostly against enemy zerkers, because they have the speed+power to overwhelm and kill.

I would be in bigger trouble if I didn't dance Dorathea into multiple meteors to get some breathing room in.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
If my guess is correct, Claude's dad might be pretty cool? Non-zero chance of me being wrong, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RoyalScion posted:

Ingrid isn’t doing that bad parents wise.

I haven't finished her stuff, but it does seem like Dad at least is willing to listen to her based on his paralogue.

Also Lorenz seems to have a reasonable father. A very busy and civically-conscious one, perhaps.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
If my Byleth wasn’t already a teacher, she’d probably be a fisherman.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

jimmydalad posted:

If my Byleth wasn’t already a teacher, she’d probably be a fisherman.

Same, I weirdly enjoy the mechanics of the fishing minigame. It's super satisfying.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Same, I weirdly enjoy the mechanics of the fishing minigame. It's super satisfying.

I am salty that after fishing 50 times and getting all these five star fish in the fishing tournament, I cannot actually give them away as gifts.

I have 49 trophy fishes perfectly preserved in my pocket at all times. Teach isn't taciturn because of he's secretly a dragon robot or whatever, he's just bitter about being too good at fishing and being buried in fish.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I do love how you get into the rhythm as you go on and make consecutive perfects. Also, I’m on the day that has the increased haul bonus for fishing and the grinding you could do for Professor points and Platinum/Gold/Silver Fish is hilariously ludicrous.

EDIT: So I spent like an hour or two fishing and used up a whole lot of bait. However, I managed to get around 5000 Professor Points and 15,100G. I clearly underestimated the power of fishing.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 30, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hard to keep all my allies alive when they are idiots that Zerg rush the boss that can one shot them.

I was going to kill him next turn you idiot! You the away your life!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Hard to keep all my allies alive when they are idiots that Zerg rush the boss that can one shot them.

I was going to kill him next turn you idiot! You the away your life!

hubert's paralogue was real bad for this :v:

yeah sure, lord arundel, call me incompetent because your freaking mages killed themselves on the giant monsters they lost control of in the first place!! i could've killed them all on the next turn if you'd just stayed still and used a vulnerary for one goddamn minute :argh:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I got married yayyyyy.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

dmboogie posted:

hubert's paralogue was real bad for this :v:

yeah sure, lord arundel, call me incompetent because your freaking mages killed themselves on the giant monsters they lost control of in the first place!! i could've killed them all on the next turn if you'd just stayed still and used a vulnerary for one goddamn minute :argh:

You only need to keep more than half of them alive to get the reward, all that changes from saving all of them is text in the following scene

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Are there a lot of fog maps? I hate them.

They aren't even really that hard for me, I just did the first one and got rid of the fog in 3 turns, but still I loving hate this kind of map. I just want to see what is happening.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

They aren't even really that hard for me, I just did the first one and got rid of the fog in 3 turns, but still I loving hate this kind of map. I just want to see what is happening.

You can bring torches with you which are used like a vulenary or other item and it'll permanently reveal like ten tiles in any direction

given you spend no small amount of turns just walking somewhere and they're super cheap fog maps are pretty ignorable.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

That's been the only one so far and I'm in December. There's items you can buy to increase fog vision range so there will definitely be more though, but I haven't hit one yet in the main story and three paralogues

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Anyone have faculty marriage recs for MByleth?

Not sure who I want to pair him off with but I'm leaning towards Shamir for murder couple times

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Vantage Magic Staff Lysithea sounds like a great marriage candidate for Byleth

I just have to have her get 25? Battles as a merc

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Goddamn, I just got to the point where you can start buying equipment and items and I'm experiencing terrible analysis paralysis. How quickly do I need to figure out the paths I'm taking these characters down? Do I need to buy the crest things from the shop before the stock changes? Did I screw myself by fishing before today which is a big fishing day?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Swordmaster Lysithia and Assassin Marianne are working out a lot better than I thought they would.

That's almost entirely due to Levin swords, but I still get Lysithia ORKOing monsters and the like. 35x2 damage is great.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What level am I supposed to do tales of the red canyon at? It says 15 but the monsters can easily tear my frontline apart because they hit for ~20 damage twice. I can burst down like, 2 wolves but not them plus 3 of mobile birds that tear up by rearguard plus the reinforcements. my mc is level 17 and the rest of the crew is 14-15

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Eponymous posted:

Goddamn, I just got to the point where you can start buying equipment and items and I'm experiencing terrible analysis paralysis. How quickly do I need to figure out the paths I'm taking these characters down? Do I need to buy the crest things from the shop before the stock changes? Did I screw myself by fishing before today which is a big fishing day?

you have a bunch of time and it's hard to screw yourself over even if you're being a bit sub-optimal

and yeah the seals restock on a monthly basis so if you're going to be promoting a bunch of your dudes at once, it's best to stock up early

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Manuela and Hanneman's paralogue was nuts

got the Rapier out of it too which is cool

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Eponymous posted:

Crests don't go away, weapons don't become irrelevant (although training weapons kind of suck from the get go). Be liberal in your use of iron/steel/silver weapons, because you can freely buy the repair materials.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I wonder if the monastery area was rushed, since it never changes and even after time skip when it should be in rubbles it's still the same with a few added scaffoldings. There are still students and people calling you the professor when you pass by. Also the sauna building which can't be accessed but the name pops up on screen when going near.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Eponymous posted:

Fishing is basically worthless except in the incredibly early-game where you can get professor points out of it. Otherwise, you'll occasionally get fish you can sell for like 500g but it's mostly catching fish to make stat-boosting dishes. I did this like once to get my stat above a certain threshhold for recruiting so don't worry. You might be worried about decisions involving time but eventually you'll get like 8/9 time units to use and nothing useful to spend it on so you just level stats

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Okay, I think I just ran into the story split vis-a-vis Edelgard. Regardless of what my choice is here... will this end the month? I recall someone saying something about that and again, I don't want to waste several weeks of studies for no reason. It's the first week of February.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't like this loving church or these loving knights, as of the end of chapter 3. Don't know if they intended me to not like them this early.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay, I think I just ran into the story split vis-a-vis Edelgard. Regardless of what my choice is here... will this end the month? I recall someone saying something about that and again, I don't want to waste several weeks of studies for no reason. It's the first week of February.

This isn't the story split yet; it just lets you choose your route later if you go with her. Also, it doesn't end the month - just your exploration session; so make sure you spend all your points before you talk with her.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

that isn't the split yet, but it is required to go with her to the Empire for the option to pick her side in the split to be available later. It will spend you about a week, so you miss on a monday training and whatever else you had left to do in that exploration session (so, finish everything first!)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh what the gently caress. I have been playing this game for 30 hours at this point and just by accident discovered fast travel.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't like this loving church or these loving knights, as of the end of chapter 3. Don't know if they intended me to not like them this early.

How much you like the church is pretty much going to be dependent on your route. The differences between the story of the routes is figuring out why each faction is going to end up doing the thing it's doing, so if you're not on a route where you learn all about the churches motives, yeah, they're gonna seem bad. But, so will all the other factions once you start encountering them as antagonists.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Eponymous posted:

If you have the spare cash you should probably invest in a couple of Intermediate Seals when you get the chance since the shop only carries 3 a month until your Professor Level is higher/your characters are strong enough to change into Advanced Classes/a certain month/whatever the actual trigger is for more inventory to be added to shops.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

How much you like the church is pretty much going to be dependent on your route. The differences between the story of the routes is figuring out why each faction is going to end up doing the thing it's doing, so if you're not on a route where you learn all about the churches motives, yeah, they're gonna seem bad. But, so will all the other factions once you start encountering them as antagonists.

Oh that's pretty loving interesting

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
The church seemed weird and creepy and gaslighting from the get go

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

DrManiac posted:

What level am I supposed to do tales of the red canyon at? It says 15 but the monsters can easily tear my frontline apart because they hit for ~20 damage twice. I can burst down like, 2 wolves but not them plus 3 of mobile birds that tear up by rearguard plus the reinforcements. my mc is level 17 and the rest of the crew is 14-15

I did this at around the same level and it was the most difficult thing I've seen in game so far (used all the pulse rewinds I think) but also extremely fun. strategy the hawks do practically nothing to high defense units and can be distracted with one tanky guy until you're ready to deal with them. For the wolves (and any hawks near the backline), gambit abuse ensures they don't attack anyone you don't want them attacking on the enemy phase.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Does anyone know why Blue Lions can recruit Hilda but Black Eagles can't?

It's really weird to me that Blue Lions don't get the items for Hubert and Black Eagles don't get them for Dedue but we both get the Hilda items yet I can't actually give them to her!!

Cluttering my inventory :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Taear posted:

Does anyone know why Blue Lions can recruit Hilda but Black Eagles can't?

It's really weird to me that Blue Lions don't get the items for Hubert and Black Eagles don't get them for Dedue but we both get the Hilda items yet I can't actually give them to her!!

Cluttering my inventory :-/

As far as I know you actually can recruit Hilda in Black Eagles, but only in February right before the big plot shift