Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

poo poo I just remembered my old dream water/storm: Baja Blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Gonna be honest, don't hate that guy. I mean, he's not necessary because there's basically no part of the game that isn't a cakewalk with an 8-man party these days, but his heart's in the right place.

True skill is figuring out where to stand to hit most if not all of the team on the go instead of slowing everyone down to gather around your dumb rear end and then inevitably one person lags behind or was just barely out of range anyway and you miss them so what was the point.

Dareon posted:

I just remember a troll someone did in a different game where they named their character something like Mister Descriptive and bound every single key to also play a text line saying what they were doing.

An old but pretty good prank in CoH was to slap a "Gather for Recovery Aura!" macro on a Tanker and then watch as the team swarmed them, hungry but ultimately confused when no RA ever came.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I know I posted this before, but since we're discussing drink-based heroes:

Water/Kinetics Corrupter. All of his powers are watermelon pink. The best part is that every time I select him in the character list, it makes a giant splash of watermelon juice.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
If I hit 4 people and myself with kin buffs then that's more than half the team and I'm making us win

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Judgement posted:

i hate that guy because he uses almost the exact same gimmick as one of my alts that i've been playing on and off for weeks, but more boring, and he...jesus he went from 1-50 in four days. guess that's what chain running the mothership raid will do for you. personally when I ran one it just made me want to kill myself when it was all over.

God, the Mothership Raid goes on for way too long. Nothing even happens on it, you just kill Rikti for half an hour. There's always a period in every MR where the Rikti start to win because people are just going AFK.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

HPanda posted:

Eh, sure, let's throw one on the pile:

Not sure whether to stick with that or go back to ridiculous cartoon purple.

Heck, I got enough costume slots I can probably just do both.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spectralent posted:

God, the Mothership Raid goes on for way too long. Nothing even happens on it, you just kill Rikti for half an hour. There's always a period in every MR where the Rikti start to win because people are just going AFK.

Yeah I've never really understood the appeal. Same with the Rikti invasion events that devolve into the same kind of gameplay (though at least there you're not wailing on hard purple mobs in a boring war of attrition I guess).

The only reason I ever participated in them back in the day was because they were the only feasible way to get Vanguard merits for those precious costume pieces. I did two for my big endgame runaround on Homecoming (the second time in particular to grind out some XP for another dose of Emp merits) but I don't think I'll bother again any time soon.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There were badges for going up on top of the hill next to the Talos tram and spamming for a group invite, at least.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I've never really understood the appeal. Same with the Rikti invasion events that devolve into the same kind of gameplay (though at least there you're not wailing on hard purple mobs in a boring war of attrition I guess).

The only reason I ever participated in them back in the day was because they were the only feasible way to get Vanguard merits for those precious costume pieces. I did two for my big endgame runaround on Homecoming (the second time in particular to grind out some XP for another dose of Emp merits) but I don't think I'll bother again any time soon.

I feel like the Invasion is better because it has better atmosphere, doesn't seem to last as long, and feels like it has distinct waves and phases to it. The Mothership is just an endless firehose of purple mobs.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
And the amusingly named U'kon Grei.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I had to try and explain why U'kon Grei was funny to a new player over voice chat and it was one of the most awkward conversations I've had in recent memory.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't get it

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Len posted:

I don't get it

The game mechanic that tells you how much of a threat a particular enemy is called "considering" (or "con" for short) and uses a color scale to denote threat. Purple is hardest/you will probably die followed by red, orange, yellow, green, blue and then grey, which is no contest/curbstomp material. The joke is that U'kon Grai is (I forget) a Giant Monster/Arch Villain class critter and therefore most players are grey to him. You Con Grey, get it?

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 31, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh jeeze, now i feel dumb for not getting it either

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

It also used to be the long running joke of why contacts would stand around doing nothing during things like Rikti invasions.

And then they fixed that! :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was thinking Yukon Grey and was really confused thinking it was a historical reference

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

spectralent posted:

Because everyone is getting three frames per second at best, it's absolutely impossible to tell if any given person is fighting or AFK.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gynovore posted:

Because everyone is getting three frames per second at best, it's absolutely impossible to tell if any given person is fighting or AFK.
Elec armor Tank pulling a train of Rikti is very Cathartic, but the last four ship Raids I was in the mood for I switched to my AR blaster for a reason, yeah.

Select allied Assault Bot or Vanguard warmech summon. Start hammering out grenades and buckshot like the Rikti stole your car keys when alien wizards are not a handy target.

Pets can be dumb at times, but god bless their endless blood thirst. "Oh the super stunner is rezzing. In five whole seconds I'll be allowed to target them-ooh, look at those zombies go!"

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
"TANKS AND BRUTES PULL MOBS INTO THE CENTER"
"what mobs? I don't see anything *walks forward five steps, at 10fps, twenty Rikti render around me* Oh. Huh."

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Rikti Raids are still like that even on newer computers?

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
yeah, unless I just don't know the One Weird Trick to getting playable frames. tried lowering resolution, geometry detail, texture detail, particle effects, shadows, and the best results were still only a gain of maybe 5 frames.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Brave New World posted:

Rikti Raids are still like that even on newer computers?

you can turn it down to toaster graphics and get ok fps but the game looks like this

Doon
May 4, 2005
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

HPanda posted:

Does this count?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

noooooo

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

hup posted:

noooooo

Yaaassssss!

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms

Doon posted:

Does this count?

Glad you took that idea 🙂

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bieeanshee posted:

There were badges for going up on top of the hill next to the Talos tram and spamming for a group invite, at least.

There are badges for mothership raids, but like everything about why that raid exists they're insultingly grindy. You have to kill U'Kon 10 times for a badge and plant bombs 10 times (originally 25!) to get some badges.

Also the final RWZ exploration badge (originally needed to unlock the SG base teleporter beacon, then the zone exploration accolade) is only available when the shields are down.

There's also a newly-added badge for taking down the Rikti patrol ship that spawns once the shields go down and customarily it gets knocked out as a cap on the mothership raid.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 31, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I forgot about those. RWZ was where I really started to tune out. I think I might have earned enough box-tops for a belt.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just hit 27, it's probably a little too early to start worrying about end-game IO setups. I have been slowly swapping the sets I do have for their attuned versions, since I learned the AH has both at the same price and in the same numbers (I don't know what witchery had to be done to make that happen, but I'm ever so grateful), but just today I had to back myself off from trying to obtain a Luck of the Gambler recharge enhancement. It costs about twice my on-hand inf, so my plan was to buy one from a less-expensive Defense set and out-of-set convert until I hit LotG, then in-set convert until I got recharge. I'm not even sure I have any powers that will accept Defense sets.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Dareon posted:

I just hit 27, it's probably a little too early to start worrying about end-game IO setups. I have been slowly swapping the sets I do have for their attuned versions, since I learned the AH has both at the same price and in the same numbers (I don't know what witchery had to be done to make that happen, but I'm ever so grateful), but just today I had to back myself off from trying to obtain a Luck of the Gambler recharge enhancement. It costs about twice my on-hand inf, so my plan was to buy one from a less-expensive Defense set and out-of-set convert until I hit LotG, then in-set convert until I got recharge. I'm not even sure I have any powers that will accept Defense sets.
Combat Jumping. Or Hover, if you're using flight.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Dareon posted:

I have tried buying cheaper parts of a set and converting. Its plain gambling, it takes a lot more converters than you think it will.
Remember once in set it will take 3 converters per conversion.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Combat Jumping. Or Hover, if you're using flight.

I'll probably pick those up eventually, but my only movement power is Super Speed, and I got that at 22 when I got tired of being shot in the back from several blocks away because I ran too close to a mugging. I was using Beast Run+a prestige sprint before that (And after, too, because it's in theme), I'm not completely insane.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dareon posted:

I'll probably pick those up eventually, but my only movement power is Super Speed, and I got that at 22 when I got tired of being shot in the back from several blocks away because I ran too close to a mugging. I was using Beast Run+a prestige sprint before that (And after, too, because it's in theme), I'm not completely insane.

CJ+SS is very nice, I use that on my dark/dark controller

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

super jump + super speed loving rules, just switch to combat jumping when the fighting starts (keep super speed on bc its a stealth layer which is useful)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I'm a little late on the drink-based superheroes, but I got one figured out.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
edit: Manifest server outage.

Now fixed

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 4, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For those who have played the new Savage Melee set, what are your thoughts on a Savage/Shield Scrapper/Brute?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kheldarn posted:

For those who have played the new Savage Melee set, what are your thoughts on a Savage/Shield Scrapper/Brute?

Go Brute for sure. The DoTs benefit from rage or whatever so you'll be bleeding people much harder than a Scrapper.

I don't think Scrapper dots can crit and even if they did, it wouldn't be neeeeeearly as good as a Brute.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Stop Hitting Yourself (And Everyone Else), a very dumb mission architect arc is now available for your enjoyment (on Everlasting since i think this is all split up per-server?). ARC ID 12885
Contains: all the enemy groups it possibly can. also you! there's a lot of you.
Play Today™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
So I got this crazy idea to try out Kinetic Melee, and I'm even thinking about doing it on one of my least favorite ATs: Scrapper. What I'm hearing about KM on Scrappers doesn't sound too good, but KM might be good on Stalkers(which doesn't fit my theme very well). Has anyone around here tried KM on a Brute?

I'm thinking about pairing it with Eng, Ele, or Rad.

Any thoughts on Kinetic Melee in general?