Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

cheetah7071 posted:

You attack twice when your effective speed (listed as "AS" in menus) exceeds the enemy's by 4 or more. It should display as a x2 on the attack preview. The formula is something like speed + atk/5 - weapon weight.

And if it's 8 do you get the x4 attacks or is that just a brawler thing?

I mean I see the X2 and stuff I just really didn't know why it happened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zoran posted:

Leonie is so loving OP

she rules

Leonie is my strongest non-Byleth character except maybe Catherine, but Catherine is kinda cheating with that relic and early Swordmaster class.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Taear posted:

some weapons, including all fists, all brave weapons, and catherine's thunderbrand, will automatically attack twice on player phase. If you also outspeed the enemy by enough, that x2 turns into a x4.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Taear posted:

brawlers will inherently get x2 attacks, so if they have 4+ AS on an enemy, they do x4 attacks instead.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Question about the Golden Deer time skip and something that was in the thanibomb leak way back when:
So like the big leak that was right about everything said that Lysithia dies in every route before the time skip, and A Lot of her supports have her vaguely mentioning she doesn't have a lot of time left, but I know she has a post time skip design because she was one of the first post time skip characters we officially saw in Famitsu. Is there something I need to be doing to keep her alive, like getting her support up to a certain level, or? I'd rather not lose my tactical nuke before going into the War Phase, you know?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Finally getting my hands on brave weapons :madmax:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

whoa, that is really something. If anything I'd have expected them to reveal that people from Atlus had worked on this because this really does feel like a Persona game in miniature in many, many ways. th
Very late reply to this but Tecmo Koei literally invented the time management dating sim genre with the very first otome game, Angelique. That's what this game is drawing inspiration from, not Persona.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the other key difference is that the character writing in this game is good, unlike 90% of modern persona

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Question about the Golden Deer time skip and something that was in the thanibomb leak way back when:
So like the big leak that was right about everything said that Lysithia dies in every route before the time skip, and A Lot of her supports have her vaguely mentioning she doesn't have a lot of time left, but I know she has a post time skip design because she was one of the first post time skip characters we officially saw in Famitsu. Is there something I need to be doing to keep her alive, like getting her support up to a certain level, or? I'd rather not lose my tactical nuke before going into the War Phase, you know?
I don't think the leak was right about that. I only had C support with her with Byleth and she was fine, and there was no paralogue for her that I did or anything. My best guess is that her character ending has her dying and the leak got confused.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Starting chapter one

Manuela is Bestuela

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TurnipFritter posted:

No that seems to have been changed a bit.

She doesn't die in game but her endings have her die very young unless she's paired up with Lindhart or Claude

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

dmboogie posted:

brawlers will inherently get x2 attacks, so if they have 4+ AS on an enemy, they do x4 attacks instead.

Ahh thanks to everyone who answered that.

I'm sure the game tells you but I dunno, some stuff never quite seems clear

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Endorph posted:

I don't think the leak was right about that. I only had C support with her with Byleth and she was fine, and there was no paralogue for her that I did or anything. My best guess is that her character ending has her dying and the leak got confused.

According to the wiki yeah she has character endings and her ending with Byleth is pretty much they retire to run a bakery Cincinnatus style so she’s evidently going to at least live through the duration of the game

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are there specific things the different houses are better suited for, playstyle wise, or is it entirely a plot choice

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ok, thanks y'all. I figured if there was actually something to it then people would either be hinting around that it happens or would be all "What the gently caress that's bullshit" but since I'm rapidly approaching the end of part one I wanted to make sure.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Are there specific things the different houses are better suited for, playstyle wise, or is it entirely a plot choice

Its mostly a plot thing since you can get most of the cast on any route. And even then almost every house is general enough to have a wide spread of classes among its members.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zore posted:

Its mostly a plot thing since you can get most of the cast on any route. And even then almost every house is general enough to have a wide spread of classes among its members.

Ok cool, I was just worried that like, I'd end up with an army of magic users when I want to Sword things

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, 4th tier has Holy Knight and Dark Knight. They need C Lances, A Riding and B+ in Faith or Reason respectively.
Thanks! Follow up: if someone is a cav/paladin do they they get riding rank while they fight?

Also I'm on golden deer. Thinking about making Lysithea my dancer. Just seems funny to me plus she has some sword hidden skill (for getting three stars). But she is currently my best fighter with Raphael.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Thanks! Follow up: if someone is a cav/paladin do they they get riding rank while they fight?

Also I'm on golden deer. Thinking about making Lysithea my dancer. Just seems funny to me plus she has some sword hidden skill (for getting three stars). But she is currently my best fighter with Raphael.

Yeah, Fliers/Armored units/Mounted units get passive exp for those skills much like you get passive Authority exp for having a Battalion equipped.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Starting chapter one

Manuela is Bestuela

She's the best. First loving text bubble to my character she made it clear she's available. Couple of weeks later complained that she took a Knight back to her room and he bailed because it was too messy. Got an advice box question from someone saying they wanted to paint the human form and I answered Manuela will probably pose for you, and this was the right answer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zore posted:

Yeah, Fliers/Armored units/Mounted units get passive exp for those skills much like you get passive Authority exp for having a Battalion equipped.

So there's literally zero reason to not always have one equipped right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

So there's literally zero reason to not always have one equipped right?

Catherine and Felix (and maybe other people?) have personal skills that reward them for not having a battalion. Otherwise, no reason.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ok cool, I was just worried that like, I'd end up with an army of magic users when I want to Sword things

I'd kinda disagree because yea you can recruit more people but you'll have been playing a while by then.
Like Black Eagle has more magic users and stuff - it's minor, but it's there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was thinking of making Ashe a pegasus knight. Is that a decent idea or the worst thing he could possibly be?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was thinking of making Ashe a pegasus knight. Is that a decent idea or the worst thing he could possibly be?

It won't be an issue because boys can't be Pegasus Knights.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Catherine and Felix (and maybe other people?) have personal skills that reward them for not having a battalion. Otherwise, no reason.

And even then their skills don't really make up for not having a Battalion. Like Felix gets +5 damage for not having one but even at C rank in Authority he could instead have a Battalion that give him +5 damage, +2 def, +10 avoid and +3 res along with the Battalion's attack or support ability.

Taear posted:

I'd kinda disagree because yea you can recruit more people but you'll have been playing a while by then.
Like Black Eagle has more magic users and stuff - it's minor, but it's there.

They have 3 and the rest of the house excels in various physical classes. They're still all very balanced out overall.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Detective No. 27 posted:

dudes can't be Pegasus Knights, unfortunately. he can be a Wyvern Rider though

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

And wyvern rider is the next level which is... annoying?
Down with gender segregated classes

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
How do paired character endings work for ones that don't involve Byleth? Is it the first pair a character gets in that reaches A support?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cheetah7071 posted:

I hate Catherine anyway. I'm trying to win battles on my own and she keeps traipsing in and one shotting all these enemies I set up. That's stolen valor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I guess I'll do that. I now see why the generic term "flyer" is being used.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Pastrymancy posted:

How do paired character endings work for ones that don't involve Byleth? Is it the first pair a character gets in that reaches A support?

Whoever's the top support in their character panel.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

If you look on the Character Roster at someone's stat page there's a list of 3 closest allies which denotes the people who have the highest number of support points. Paired endings seem to be based on that since pairs that have paired endings will continue to gain support points after A rank.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I ended up choosing black eagle for the objectively correct reason: Dorothea has a cute hat

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
So what's the consensus on the game so far? I'm considering getting the game, but Fate/etc. turned me off the series because of the story and the whole sibling relationship stuff. How is it length-wise?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Karanas posted:

So what's the consensus on the game so far? I'm considering getting the game, but Fate/etc. turned me off story-wise and the whole sibling relationship stuff. How is it length-wise?

One route takes 50+ hours to do and there are better support scripts than fates. No idea about romance writing since I'm early in my playthrough

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Karanas posted:

So what's the consensus on the game so far? I'm considering getting the game, but Fate/etc. turned me off the series because of the story and the whole sibling relationship stuff. How is it length-wise?

This is such a stark contrast of quality with Fates that it's not loving funny. I've had people calling it the best fire emblem game ever surpassing their old favourites. The amount of care and effort gone into ensuring everything just hits the right beat is amazing. Quite frankly, it's a contender for one of the best ever made.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Karanas posted:

it's good as hell

length seems to be about 50 hours per route depending on how much time you spend faffing about in your home base/letting voicelines play/having animations on.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Annette's personal weapon may not be super practical, but it's very funny in theory. (Minor spoilers for adult versions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
What would happen if, theoretically, you purposely got every student in the game killed as quickly as possible? Has anyone tried a "get all students killed" speedrun yet?