Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotor posted:

I can't belive i'm in yospos

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

rotor posted:

make better choices, yospos

Your Posts, My screen, -

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
dc is better than bc.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
truth is, i don't use an rpn calculator for my normal calculation needs

i use a ti-89 because it has a full symbolic math package

it would be easier to use if it were rpn but afaik hp never made a calculator with this much software crammed in. i could easily be wrong. i havent bought a calculator in many, many years, because the ti-89 hasnt broke

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

truth is, i don't use an rpn calculator for my normal calculation needs

i use a ti-89 because it has a full symbolic math package

it would be easier to use if it were rpn but afaik hp never made a calculator with this much software crammed in. i could easily be wrong. i havent bought a calculator in many, many years, because the ti-89 hasnt broke

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The TI calculators were clearly the best ones because they let me play Tetris and DopeWars instead of learning anything in math class

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

r u ready to WALK posted:

The TI calculators were clearly the best ones because they let me play Tetris and DopeWars instead of learning anything in math class

When I was in class playing video games for 90 minutes straight I probably thought it looked like I was just doing a really complex equation.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tfw you beg your mom to buy that cable for the TI that lets it copy over stuff from a computer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I played a far more faithful reimplementation of Tetris on my HP 48SX once I spent my allowance on the link cable and started using the ftpmail gateway to get games over UUCP

I also hooked a cute girl up with it over infrared when I was at a math competition

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The first professional programming work I ever did was writing TI-83 macros in 11th grade math class to automatically do stuff like the Newton-Raphson method and then selling them to my classmates for 5 bucks each

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fun that I learn HP had a full symbolic math package four years after they kill the product

gg me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
do you seriously not have an HP 48?

shameful

this is something you can and should rectify pretty quickly

(one thing that’s cute is that the HP 95LX uses the same style of keys, also happens to run Gold Hill Common Lisp 1.x pretty well given that it’s an 8088 machine)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

setup on the VT240 requires use of the enter key, not the return key

did you strap your monitor to the top of your pickup truck?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
BORAT VOICE MY FATHER had one of those Business Analyst calculators from HP when he started an MBA (never finished it because BORAT VOICE MY MOTHER went back to finish her PhD), it was real nice.

I had Ti-83, 86, then 89.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

did you strap your monitor to the top of your pickup truck?

lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The first professional programming work I ever did was writing TI-83 macros in 11th grade math class to automatically do stuff like the Newton-Raphson method and then selling them to my classmates for 5 bucks each

TI-BASIC was my first programming language

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the ti-92 / ti-89 calculators were the only vaguely ok TI calculators, the rest were crippled trash for children

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

do you seriously not have an HP 48?

shameful

this is something you can and should rectify pretty quickly

(one thing that’s cute is that the HP 95LX uses the same style of keys, also happens to run Gold Hill Common Lisp 1.x pretty well given that it’s an 8088 machine)

i seriously don't and i am thinking about rectifying it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the ti-92 / ti-89 calculators were the only vaguely ok TI calculators, the rest were crippled trash for children

The Ti-85/86 family (the ones with an extra row of function keys below the screen) were objectively better than the 82/83 but I don’t know if the 85/86 family had an 89 equivalent.

I think the 92 was just the full keyboard version of the 89?

:shrug:

E: Actually, maybe the 89 was part of the 85/86 family?

E2: Never mind, the 85/86 didn’t have two rows of function keys. I thought they did?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 30, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i only ever had an 83 because i borrowed it on a semester basis from the school. not one of those overachiever kids who had their own personal calculator. it wasn't even a plus model -- still had the square case and angled screen

later i found an 83+ at value village for 10 dollars because it wasn't working but i opened it up and it was just corroded batteries. still use it to this day.

ok thanks for reading, like and subscribe

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

The Ti-85/86 family (the ones with an extra row of function keys below the screen) were objectively better than the 82/83 but I don’t know if the 85/86 family had an 89 equivalent.

I think the 92 was just the full keyboard version of the 89?

:shrug:

E: Actually, maybe the 89 was part of the 85/86 family?

E2: Never mind, the 85/86 didn’t have two rows of function keys. I thought they did?

the 80/81/82/83/84/85/86 are all closely related -- z80 chips, no useful software

the 92 and 89 are m68k, and they have a full math package. imagine mathematica, but in a hand calculator. to my abundant shame, until just the other day, i thought the hp48 series was crippled/lovely the way the ti-8x series is, but no, i could have had a full math package and rpn all these years

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just use the Wolfram alpha app on the iPhone

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I was sure the 86 had differential and integral poo poo built-in but it looks like that was 89-only.

Which, looking back, actually makes sense because I remember we started doing babbys first differentials at the end of Pre-Calc junior year (first half of 1998) and I quickly figured out how to make my brand-spanking-new 89 do all the work for me and went back to loving around with BASIC.

I still can’t do literally any math.

:(

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

explain this too me

mewse
May 2, 2006

vodkat posted:

explain this too me

what if i told you everything you know to be true is wrong

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fun that I learn HP had a full symbolic math package four years after they kill the product

gg me

I think the HP prime is the new version although I’ve heard it’s not as good as the HP 48/50.

of course there’s also the TI nspire cas II

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

vodkat posted:

explain this too me

It's a MacBook with Linux installed
On a standing desk adapter
Also one of these

e: and the laptop keyboard isn't fully working so I have to use the tiny monstrosity

dick traceroute fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 31, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

:worship:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dick traceroute posted:

It's a MacBook ... and the laptop keyboard isn't fully working

well of course

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

dick traceroute posted:

It's a MacBook with Linux installed
On a standing desk adapter
Also one of these

e: and the laptop keyboard isn't fully working so I have to use the tiny monstrosity

can you actualy use that tiny monstrosity?

(although I have to admit I like the look of the other tiny split boards they are selling)

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

vodkat posted:

can you actualy use that tiny monstrosity?

(although I have to admit I like the look of the other tiny split boards they are selling)

Not really, but it's a MacBook so

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ti-99/4a rules

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Schadenboner posted:

I was sure the 86 had differential and integral poo poo built-in but it looks like that was 89-only.

Which, looking back, actually makes sense because I remember we started doing babbys first differentials at the end of Pre-Calc junior year (first half of 1998) and I quickly figured out how to make my brand-spanking-new 89 do all the work for me and went back to loving around with BASIC.

I still can’t do literally any math.

:(

oh hi its me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

ti-99/4a rules

no

just, no

it was the very definition of “cocktail straw to RAM”

there’s a reason you can still find them new in box today, for cheap

Parsec was p cool tho, especially with the speech synth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

no

just, no

it was the very definition of “cocktail straw to RAM”

there’s a reason you can still find them new in box today, for cheap

Parsec was p cool tho, especially with the speech synth

i had to look this up

i knew the ti-99 was based on a pretty reasonable chip similar to a 6809, so i had previously assumed it wasn't any worse than its contemporaries, but as usual, eschaton is right

wikipedia posted:

Only the program counter, status register, and workspace pointer registers are on the chip; all work registers are kept in RAM at an address indicated by the workspace pointer. [..]

Although the CPU is a full 16-bit processor, only the system ROM and 256 bytes of scratchpad RAM are available on the 16-bit bus. All other memory and peripherals are connected to the CPU through a 16-to-8-bit multiplexer, requiring twice the cycles for any access and introducing an additional 4-cycle wait state.

it was not that weird, back then, to keep the register file in ram, because ram was fast compared to the cpus of the day

it's extremely weird and bad to have the register file at the wrong end of a multiplexer and 4-cycle pause for every request

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The brutalist of self-owns.

:sympathy:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yeah having a workspace pointer and register file in RAM is just fine and very much a minicomputer thing

(the TMS9900 was a single chip no-MMU implementation of the TI 990 minicomputer architecture)

but making you go through the video controller for “real” RAM was absolutely horrible for performance

and then of course everything was supposed to be written against a virtual architecture implemented atop the native one, which is why TI BASIC was so absurdly slow

some successor machines (and contemporaries) based on the same CPU were much much faster

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I have an HP-15C from 1982 and an HP-15C LE from 2012. The C LE is worth 4x what the the C is. How does this make sense?

e. Is there any source for (original model) screens other that broken donors? The screen on my 15C is cracked, but it doesn't obstruct any characters.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I've got a broken HP48 and a functional HP32 and someone gave me a 12 but idk where it went

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

I've got a broken HP48 and a functional HP32 and someone gave me a 12 but idk where it went

please update your excel spreadsheets as appropriate