Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Kyte posted:

I've grown tired of the chiptune-y era of music. If they remastered those I'd be all over it.

It's all General MIDI, I've been able to swap in a higher quality soundfont and get pretty decent results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kyte posted:

I've grown tired of the chiptune-y era of music. If they remastered those I'd be all over it.

xergm posted:

It's all General MIDI, I've been able to swap in a higher quality soundfont and get pretty decent results.

I recorded a bunch of it fresh from an original Sound Canvas. Game played via DOSBox, music played through MIDI-out to a hardware synth. This is how it was always supposed to sound. In defense of the SimCity 2000 sound track

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TorakFade posted:

also, I'm not sure I like this "milestones" thing. Great as a "tutorial", but after a couple cities made now when I start a city I'd just like to lay down the groundwork already without having to unlock everything bit by bit :(

I forget if it's one of the ones from the base game or it's on the workshop but there's a mod that unlocks all milestones, I always play with that now

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

I forget if it's one of the ones from the base game or it's on the workshop but there's a mod that unlocks all milestones, I always play with that now

That's in the base game options/mods. I really should turn that on one of these days.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

um excuse me posted:

donoteat01 talks about parking in cities, stating there were laws mandating a rediculous amount of spots per person at one time, but are now archaic due to public transportation. You need parking, but not vast wastelands of it, unless you're designing around cities built 30 or so years ago.

Anyone know if donoteat is OK? Not seen him post or upload anything in ages.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

AceClown posted:

He tweets all the time

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AceClown posted:

He's too big for SA now but he's always updating his twitter and posting updates on patreon and stuff. He's been on vacation in Newfoundland recently.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

dogstile posted:

This game not making me require a ton of parking is my biggest complaint tbh.
Traffic Manager has an option to disable pocket cars and have parking for every cim. Demand naturally fluctuates based on your public transport.

nielsm posted:

I recorded a bunch of it fresh from an original Sound Canvas. Game played via DOSBox, music played through MIDI-out to a hardware synth. This is how it was always supposed to sound. In defense of the SimCity 2000 sound track
That does sound pretty great! You can still tell it's a midi or equivalent, but the only way to eliminate that is with a real recording.
Do you have it in split tracks?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kyte posted:

That does sound pretty great! You can still tell it's a midi or equivalent, but the only way to eliminate that is with a real recording.
Do you have it in split tracks?

Don't have it split, sorry. I don't know any tools to extract the MIDI data from the game, and triggering all the various music is difficult.
Thing about the SC2k music is that it's not simply continuous, but rather various tunes trigger at random when you do something. E.g. there's budget window tunes, some that trigger on selecting various tols, and possibly also occasionally when a newspaper pops up. There's also several variarions of some, typically shortened or some instruments removed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kyte posted:

Traffic Manager has an option to disable pocket cars and have parking for every cim. Demand naturally fluctuates based on your public transport.

Yeah, i ended up using that. I should have specified that it bothered me that it wasn't a vanilla option.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

AceClown posted:

Glancing at his patreon, it seems like he's pulling down over 4k/mo and releases a video every couple of months.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

nielsm posted:

Don't have it split, sorry. I don't know any tools to extract the MIDI data from the game, and triggering all the various music is difficult.
Thing about the SC2k music is that it's not simply continuous, but rather various tunes trigger at random when you do something. E.g. there's budget window tunes, some that trigger on selecting various tols, and possibly also occasionally when a newspaper pops up. There's also several variarions of some, typically shortened or some instruments removed.

Bring back madlibs-and-music-licks newspapers, I say.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mutata posted:

Bring back madlibs-and-music-licks newspapers, I say.

And power plants exploding every 50 years!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

TorakFade posted:

Oh dear. I really really need an intermediate-level guide, but all I can find are either "stupid" guides (make sewers downstream of water pumps, make powerplant, zone a little at a time, profit, DURRR) or ultra in-depth guides on how to make the perfect 5-story-high intersection of 3 highways with 20 onramps which is way beyond what I need right now - which is, how to arrange services, districts and roads in a way that covers all my city and without causing immense traffic, how many schools should I have, etc

also, I'm not sure I like this "milestones" thing. Great as a "tutorial", but after a couple cities made now when I start a city I'd just like to lay down the groundwork already without having to unlock everything bit by bit :(
So the thing is that roads inevitably get clogged. You can mitigate that somewhat; if you're building a gridded city like you have here, you need to develop a hierarchy. Previously you needed to have a suburban style feeder-arterial system, but now you can use the junction tool to make grids functional. I make sure that every two lane road that crosses a four-lane gets a stop sign, with no obstruction on the four lane - the default is a stoplight which will gently caress up traffic miserably. (Don't use six-lanes; unless the logic has changed dramatically cars don't use the whole road and it's a waste of money.)

Still, even with a logical network and multiple routes, traffic builds up. Around the time you unlock trains (9K residents? ) is around where you actually start to need a healthy public transit network. Try to have a long-distance option like trains or monorail, and a short distance feeder system like buses or trams. If it makes you feel any less weird about sticking a metro in a small city, I'm in Scandinavia right now and there are towns of like 50K people with viable commuter rail networks here.

For me the early game is a bit of a slog; when you're in the tens of thousands of residents and figuring how to a) connect whole districts and b) make those districts feel unique, that's when the game gets fun. I should be playing with milestones off but every time I think to do so I've got a new expansion and it feels like 'cheating' to have my whole industrial area unlocked, at least the first time I use it.

One key mod is either 25 or 81 tiles unlocked; the original 9 tiles isn't enough to let a city breathe. As for tutorials, there's a great one on the steam forums where this person explains how and why you should have separate cargo and commuter rail networks. Fun to build too.

Edit: this is the article in question. I think it's intermediate level like you'd asked for : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408643569

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 9, 2019

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

nielsm posted:

This explains why there's one track I associate with "your entire city is on fire."

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Suspect Bucket posted:

Fortunately, Cims love to bike and walk, and will happily take the lovely senic paths you lay out for them. My beachfront promenades are very popular, and it makes me happy to see Cims bustling about on them. Meanwhile, IRL the only way to make people walk is to eliminate or centralize parking.

A funny thing about SC4 was needing to get a mod to manually override the "North American" commute mode preferences. You can set things to "European" and suddenly people start walking and using public transit.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Bold Robot posted:

Glancing at his patreon, it seems like he's pulling down over 4k/mo and releases a video every couple of months.

He's part of the patreon bourgeois now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sex Robot posted:

He's part of the patreon bourgeois now

Honestly I'm glad patreon exists, there are some people pulling down north of $10k/mo it's amazing how much money content creators make when you cut out the studio and management. Also their content is tailored to the audience and not the lowest common denominator.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I got a bug to build cities again, last time I played was at release, and I seem to have forgotten everything and am terrible at this game that deserves a better class of player than me.

I think by now there's probably a mod for every problem I have, but there's so many to look through (and a of the ones on page 1 of the thread no long exist or are no longer working).

How do I do trams without having too many on the line? I put down two routes that have to overlap somewhat and it immediately causes a tram traffic jam.

I got some farms up, deleted all my industry but the farms keep complaining they don't have enough uneducmecatedtrumvoters to work at slave wages. Will higher educated workers still work there? The game seems to be telling me to not build schools, so I hope I'm reading that wrong.

Am I correct in seeing that farms (and I'm guessing forestry) makes more money than industry does? Maybe I didn't keep enough of it, but the game seems to be telling me to get rid of all the pollution and just make farms instead.

Simcity for all it's faults allowed me to see at a glance what was what based on the art direction. The Skylines buildings all merge into a sameness that I can't see what's a commercial, house, fire station, park or whatever without using an overlay. Is there a mod that has a closer to Simcity 2-3-4 art direction for the buildings? Maybe I'm just missing having low/med/high density buildings, I've not got a city built up enough yet to get higher density buildings.

Is there a mod that allows me to put down lots of trees at once rather than clicking each one by one. Or even better, allows me to put down a mix of different trees all at the same time.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 28, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Forest brush
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1658679290

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Comstar posted:

I got a bug to build cities again, last time I played was at release, and I seem to have forgotten everything and am terrible at this game that deserves a better class of player than me.

I think by now there's probably a mod for every problem I have, but there's so many to look through (and a of the ones on page 1 of the thread no long exist or are no longer working).

How do I do trams without having too many on the line? I put down two routes that have to overlap somewhat and it immediately causes a tram traffic jam.

I got some farms up, deleted all my industry but the farms keep complaining they don't have enough uneducmecatedtrumvoters to work at slave wages. Will higher educated workers still work there? The game seems to be telling me to not build schools, so I hope I'm reading that wrong.

Am I correct in seeing that farms (and I'm guessing forestry) makes more money than industry does? Maybe I didn't keep enough of it, but the game seems to be telling me to get rid of all the pollution and just make farms instead.

Simcity for all it's faults allowed me to see at a glance what was what based on the art direction. The Skylines buildings all merge into a sameness that I can't see what's a commercial, house, fire station, park or whatever without using an overlay. Is there a mod that has a closer to Simcity 2-3-4 art direction for the buildings? Maybe I'm just missing having low/med/high density buildings, I've not got a city built up enough yet to get higher density buildings.

Is there a mod that allows me to put down lots of trees at once rather than clicking each one by one. Or even better, allows me to put down a mix of different trees all at the same time.

Trams: Improved Public Transport 2, control number of vehicles in a line directly. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928128676

Farms: Employ Overeducated Workers is the direct fix. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1674732053&searchtext=
Realistic Population and Consumption Mod also adjusts education levels, but is much more all-encompassing. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

I haven't seen industry making more money but maybe it's got to do with exports?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

he back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oeLnpAmmfI

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

city getting biggy!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enjoying the delicious hell center your city has.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea that industrial center is a bold choice. You'll find the traffic circles feeding it will become inadequate very soon, if they aren't already.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Yea that industrial center is a bold choice. You'll find the traffic circles feeding it will become inadequate very soon, if they aren't already.

people love the dark hole (just get rich enough to spam subterranean freight rail)

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 6, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Probably the most ridiculous functioning intersection I've made.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Needs a left exit somewhere

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Is anyone good with the editor? I keep trying to play with it, but it just crashes. I just want to make some dinky little park areas, like mixed use school sports fields. Where the football field/soccer pitch shares lawn space with the baseball diamond, and there's a basketball court and tennis court tucked in a corner.

I'm just sick of finageling parks behind my schools to get the look I want. Elementary school playgrounds are an important community resource. Does anyone know of a park set that does this, or could whip something up?

I use SchMod stuff a fair bit, as well as KingLeno's. but none of it really captures that scrubby badly mowed field out back of the school where you are your friends would play kickball, or dad showed you how to sprint the bases and you'd use the backstop as an improvised batting cage because neither of you wanted to run very far to fetch dingers from batting practice.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 22, 2019

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I stumbled upon this game through Youtube, it seems like something I'd enjoy.
However, I'm not sure if my laptop will run it... I've looked for a demo but haven't found anything.
By the way, seeing as this is a Paradox game, does it often go on sale? Like Crusader Kings?

EDIT: the Deluxe edition is ~9 EUR on Greenmangaming. It's downloading as we speak!

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 22, 2019

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

shut up blegum posted:

I stumbled upon this game through Youtube, it seems like something I'd enjoy.
However, I'm not sure if my laptop will run it... I've looked for a demo but haven't found anything.
By the way, seeing as this is a Paradox game, does it often go on sale? Like Crusader Kings?

EDIT: the Deluxe edition is ~9 EUR on Greenmangaming. It's downloading as we speak!
It's a RAM hog, even in the base game. Once you get into mods you definitely need some heft. How much RAM are you running?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Does this game have procedurally generated maps or win states or goals beyond what you make up for yourself?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Does this game have procedurally generated maps or win states or goals beyond what you make up for yourself?

No, no, no

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Albino Squirrel posted:

It's a RAM hog, even in the base game. Once you get into mods you definitely need some heft. How much RAM are you running?

It seems to run fine at the moment.
This game is both easy and hard. Woops, my city expanded quite a bit and suddenly the 2 lane road that was in my city centre can't handle all the traffic. Woops, can't upgrade that road because I didn't think ahead. It's quite fun so far.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

shut up blegum posted:

It seems to run fine at the moment.
This game is both easy and hard. Woops, my city expanded quite a bit and suddenly the 2 lane road that was in my city centre can't handle all the traffic. Woops, can't upgrade that road because I didn't think ahead. It's quite fun so far.

Eminent domain does not exist in Cities Skylines, bulldoze away

But yeah, you've started down a path that can only end in tears and a new interest in building the perfect highways exit.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
Hi hYeah nonunion b .

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

keirharder posted:

Hi hYeah nonunion b .

Agreed

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Them adding a 'move building' for plopable service buildings(possibly a mod) has been a godsend for demolishing entire neighbourhoods so I can put a highway through it

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

Them adding a 'move building' for plopable service buildings(possibly a mod) has been a godsend for demolishing entire neighbourhoods so I can put a highway through it

That's uh. That's been part of the game since it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

dragonshardz posted:

That's uh. That's been part of the game since it was released.

Yeah, remember that Cities: Skylines was created as a reaction towards SimCity 2013, which didn't have that function.