Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Iymarra posted:

Okay, I keep struggling over what routes to take people down

Protag - god of war, jesus. I'm level 21 and everyone else is 13
Edel/Count Miserable - not concerned.
Dorothea - Gremory?
Petra - Axe monster? Was gonna make her dancer but I really dig the axe maiden vibe.
Sleepyboy - not a gosh darn clue.
Caspar - Punchmans
Poached Sylvain - Horsemans
Ferdinand - An alternate dancer? I'm really not feeling the guy

Thoughts? Anyone done anything similar?

So far, I've got:
Byleth - Assassin until she gets her exclusive class
Edie - axemasters until she gets her exclusive class
Hubert - Dark Bishop
Dorothea - Dancer
Petra - Assassin
Lindhart - Bishop / Gremegory
Caspar - Benchwarmer
Sylvain - cav
Ferdy - cav
Bernie - sniper, but training her in lances and riding looking forward to a Bow Knight.

Ingrid makes a pretty good poach target since she's a peg knight and otherwise one of the more available units, since Flayn's the only other real option without investment. I've also got Ashe as a pure Archer, Mercedes as a magician. I don't see much of a reason, if you're going to make a mage unit, to not go all the way and teach them Faith and Reason. Nobody looks bad with Physic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I ran El as a Mage into Mortal Savant and had no complaints. Being able to smash res at will is incredibly powerful for anyone.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bogart posted:

So far, I've got:
Byleth - Assassin until she gets her exclusive class
Edie - axemasters until she gets her exclusive class
Hubert - Dark Bishop
Dorothea - Dancer
Petra - Assassin
Lindhart - Bishop / Gremegory
Caspar - Benchwarmer
Sylvain - cav
Ferdy - cav
Bernie - sniper, but training her in lances and riding looking forward to a Bow Knight.

Ingrid makes a pretty good poach target since she's a peg knight and otherwise one of the more available units, since Flayn's the only other real option without investment. I've also got Ashe as a pure Archer, Mercedes as a magician. I don't see much of a reason, if you're going to make a mage unit, to not go all the way and teach them Faith and Reason. Nobody looks bad with Physic.

Remember Gremory is female only. So if you ever want Lindhart or Hubert to have more than 4 move you need them to go into Dark or Holy Knight. Or Mortal Savant I guess

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Zore posted:

Remember Gremory is female only. So if you ever want Lindhart or Hubert to have more than 4 move you need them to go into Dark or Holy Knight. Or Mortal Savant I guess

god. whyyyy

I do have Hubert learning lances and riding for that, but still, c'mon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My Byleth was a sword mage murderess. Made her a monk then a mage, she can murder everyone with swords and when the armored guys pop up she murders them with fire.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I completely forgot Hero exists in this game, because my males have been either warriors, grappler, or cavs.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Is there any benefit to playing gotta-catch-em-all with the other house's students? I've only poached one or two characters because that's all I can see myself realistically deploying - is there some reason I see people picking up like 7+ extras?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I really wanna poach Alois. He performed excellently in his / Shamir's paralogue. Sure, he only got one hit, but it hit for 40 and the enemies just bounced off him. Also, he's a good guy. :shobon:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

psy_wombats posted:

Is there any benefit to playing gotta-catch-em-all with the other house's students? I've only poached one or two characters because that's all I can see myself realistically deploying - is there some reason I see people picking up like 7+ extras?

Access to more Paralogues( you also only get paralogue rewards for character you've recruited even if the paralogue is for 2 people) and they all get unique dialogue during exploration in Part 2.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Tae posted:

I completely forgot Hero exists in this game, because my males have been either warriors, grappler, or cavs.

Same but forgot that most classes exist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

psy_wombats posted:

They like the characters better

Cross house supports

Paralogues, which some are cross house

I have 9 activity points and everyone is at their support limit, I have nothing else to do

unique dialogue from poached students in part 2

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
You also avoid having to fight them in part 2.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Bogart posted:

I really wanna poach Alois. He performed excellently in his / Shamir's paralogue. Sure, he only got one hit, but it hit for 40 and the enemies just bounced off him. Also, he's a good guy. :shobon:

you dont get the option to recruit him until near the end of the school section; but teachers/knights are basically a free poach so you should be good

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

McTimmy posted:

You also avoid having to fight them in part 2.

They are replaced with generic units that have the same stats the enemy version would have. You can always tell because the generic will have the little boss shield on the overworld and just ridiculous stats.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bogart posted:

He's absolutely not a good guy

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Do you never get to deploy more than 10 characters? Adjutants are an alright way of leveling up the bench but I'm wondering if I should train more people if there's going be that chapter where you can deploy literally everyone.

Those large, defend the throne stages like Radiant Dawn Part 2 Endgame are my favorite type of maps.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zore posted:

They are replaced with generic units that have the same stats the enemy version would have. You can always tell because the generic will have the little boss shield on the overworld and just ridiculous stats.

Yeah, but you don't feel bad about murdering generics.

Of course trying to avoid killing some units can be quite an interesting challenge... It took quite a bit for me to keep Bernadetta alive in the map she shows up... but she is one character I would be really uncomfortable killing...

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Taear posted:

He's absolutely not a good guy

how, he's like everyone's cool uncle

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lord Ephraim posted:

Do you never get to deploy more than 10 characters? Adjutants are an alright way of leveling up the bench but I'm wondering if I should train more people if there's going be that chapter where you can deploy literally everyone.

Those large, defend the throne stages like Radiant Dawn Part 2 Endgame are my favorite type of maps.

Just 11 at most iirc

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Dorothea seems to make a really good dancer who can just pop in and drop a meteor or a sagittae when you desperately need it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

dmboogie posted:

how, he's like everyone's cool uncle

He sure likes making friends with loads of kids
And demanding to judge dancing competitions

And etc etc

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Taear posted:

He sure likes making friends with loads of kids
And demanding to judge dancing competitions

And etc etc

dude :catstare:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think the most deployment spaces I ever had was 12. But I only had 10 units.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Ignatz is probably my worst combat unit but I loving love his supports, he is the most wholesome boy

Also he and Marianne are perfect for each other. Even their C support was the cutest goddamned thing :3:

I've got all the Golden Deer at least at C rank with each other, and that support was the only time so far I've seen Marianne approach anything remotely near content and happy, so I have to pair those two up now.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

let me recruit the one knight standing next to the gatekeeper who makes fun of him every now and then
Where exactly is this gatekeeper? I feel like I've heard so much about them but haven't found them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Front of the entrance hall, near where the marketplace is. He has something unique to say on pretty much every new chapter and has a delightfully dopey voice.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
There’s no way to see stat sheets for those not in your house, right? Is there a good way to see their skills in game so I know who to poach or who like what so I know who gets what gifts/lost items?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I like Fire Emblem but this game is riling up my weird anxiety, I cant figure out how to "plan" my characters, not even in a min-maxing way but like each new Fire Emblem game has been "every character can be whatever or so anything" but you still only kind of get a limited amount of experience so you cant grind or whatever, so you still have to kind of plan your team and who you want to be what. And I dont even really know how to tell who would be more easily suited for what class, especially if I want to get guys from outside of my house. And what classes are good, what do they use, what types are there to plan for? And you have to train them to pass that class, so again you have to plan.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Ignatz is probably my worst combat unit but I loving love his supports, he is the most wholesome boy

Also he and Marianne are perfect for each other. Even their C support was the cutest goddamned thing :3:

killing the poo poo out of him in the first black eagle strike force mission was cool. I never really cared for his character. This is war, nerd. Quit being happy.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

let me recruit the one knight standing next to the gatekeeper who makes fun of him every now and then

Gray Wolves path will be entirely NPCs teaming up with let's say the Cipher OCs

can Gatekeeper finally defeat the Boundless Chaos....and still report back to his post every month?!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

just about near the end of part 1 (it's January, so I think I'm almost there), the team so far

Byleth: Swordmaster, planning to switch between the exclusive class and Mortal Savant
Edie: Swordmaster
Hubert: Dark Mage, planning for Dark Knight
Linhardt: Priest, not sure what to put him in for master class
Petra: Assassin, soon to be Mortal Savant
Dorothea: Dancing Queen, probably Gremory or Mortal Savant
Bernie: Sniper, planning for Bow Knight
Ferdinand: Armored Knight, planning for Great Knight
Caspar: Brigand, planning for either Warrior or War Master

the poached:

Felix: Merc, planning for Mortal Savant
Leonie: Cavalier, planning for Bow Knight
Ingrid: Peg, planning for Falcon Knight
Sylvain: Cavalier , planning for Wyvern Lord
Lysithea: Mage, maybe if there's enough time I can make her another Mortal Savant

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I wish Sylvain had A-level supports with characters that correlate to his more wholesome links, like Lysethia or Marianne. His supports with Dorothea just feel too obvious in terms of dynamic, and from his conversations with Professor and the paralogue he's actually a pretty interesting character

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Didnt optimize gifts or anything in my first black eagle run so i only came out of the timeskip with Leonie, Hanneman, Shamir, Manuela, alois, felix and ashe. I feel like i coulda gotten a few more but oh well. I really like my Felix, he's basically become a Karel-esque dodge tank who crits every round

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a list of who likes what gifts?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a list of who likes what gifts?

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/8751-fire-emblem-three-houses-gifts-and-flower-guide

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I could've got more people but since missions seem to only have around 10 or 11 deployment slots I end up with a lot of people I just don't use. I swap lower level people in or set them as adjudants regularly. Except Hanneman, he's perma benched because he still only has 12 speed at level 31.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Spoiler for mission that takes place after the dance. I was so happy to see Byleth try to use the divine pulse to stop Jeralt from getting stabbed. It didn't work but still it was nice to see a game protagonist attempt to use game powers to stop plot scene bullshit.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Noticed that blue house is full of mostly normal people with hair colors that humans can have (not sure why ashe has grey hair at 16), meanwhile red and yellow are full of loving weirdos.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Ashe is like that super nice guy in high school who's absolutely gonna be a church youth group pastor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The school dance is funny because you've got the occasional JRPG anime protagonists intermixed in a crowd of normal humans

oh gently caress also quick PSA in case you're a dumbass like me, if you're using a ranged unit vs monsters you can manually select any of their tiles in range, so you can break those shield tiles on their back without needing to do some aggro bullshit where you try to lead monsters out from against a wall

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 31, 2019