Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SubNat posted:

' Previously defeated pirates will now bring a small fleet instead of a single ship upon their return to the game. It now takes them 30 minutes to rebuild. '
I presume that means that they have to chill with their fleet for 30 minutes in the pirate cove before it pops back up, good.

Appreciate this since it was so annoying that a flaming pirate ship with 5 HP getting through your blockade was enough to instantly make the fortress spring back into existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
They released a 30-40% done game then are using DLC over the course of a year or two to make it a 70-80% done game. Sad, really.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I had a lot of fun with the early game, but I'm starting to feel the same way. Between the DX12 crashes I'm still seeing(DX11 at comparable setting has pitiful performance) and the lack of stats buildings, I'm starting to think I should have picked this up a year from now. I've put more than 80 hours into it, after paying ~$51 for it, so it's hard for me to say I feel like I have not gotten my money's worth, but still.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I agree as well. I think there is a really good game here eventually but holy moly some of the most fundamental elements of the series are bizarrely even more clunky than previous iterations. I swear the idea of having ships go in between maps as discreet ships was never even play tested, and the new world island maps are not challenging as much as annoying.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It’s in the same state as the previous games first releases. They always do the same thing. :shrug:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Patch and dlc are out.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yup, though I think if you have steam it'll be a few more hours until they push it.

As for those with Dx12 crashes.
I tried to play it, got a crash after 20-30 min.
Updated my driver.
Crash after 20-30 min.

But some people have mentioned overlays being a possible issue.
So I closed/killed discord, and disabled all uplay notifications + overlay.
Now I'm 2 hours in without a crash, so hopefully that might fix it. Though hard to know without more hours of testing/playing.

e: Nevermind, still ended up getting a crash, though after the game was on for ~3.5 hours.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 30, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

SubNat posted:

Yup, though I think if you have steam it'll be a few more hours until they push it.

opening the game in steam just launches the ubi launcher anyway, you're not patching it through steam

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The DLC should be out now for all users - there was a delay between people who had purchased direct from ubisoft and those who used Steam as they had to wait on Steam to do something to push things live. That was scheduled to be around Noon EST so it should be done by now.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

boar guy posted:

opening the game in steam just launches the ubi launcher anyway, you're not patching it through steam

Yeah, but the issue was that Steam wasn't pushing the 'this account owns this DLC' to uplay until their usual update/go live time.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

SubNat posted:

As for those with Dx12 crashes.
I tried to play it, got a crash after 20-30 min.
Updated my driver.
Crash after 20-30 min.

But some people have mentioned overlays being a possible issue.
So I closed/killed discord, and disabled all uplay notifications + overlay.
Now I'm 2 hours in without a crash, so hopefully that might fix it. Though hard to know without more hours of testing/playing.

I haven't tried this yet. Next time I get the itch I'll give it a try, but Satisfactory has been keeping me satisfied(sorry).

I know its hard to compare the genres, but SF dropped back in March as Early Access and it scratches a lot of the same optimization and supply chain management challenges. On top of that my experience since buying 2 weeks ago has been super smooth. There are a few items that are visibly marked WIP in the game, but other than that, my 80 hours in SF has been much smoother than the release version of Anno 1800. (Note that I have an i7-8700K. Some users with older CPU's have reported issues in the end game, due to item production threads being single threaded.)

If you can stomach the Epic store, I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 30, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I haven't tried this yet. Next time I get the itch I'll give it a try, but Satisfactory has been keeping me satisfied(sorry).

I know its hard to compare the genres, but SF dropped back in March as Early Access and it scratches a lot of the same optimization and supply chain management challenges. On top of that my experience since buying 2 weeks ago has been super smooth. There are a few items that are visibly marked WIP in the game, but other than that, my 80 hours in SF has been much smoother than the release version of Anno 1800. (Note that I have an i7-8700K. Some users with older CPU's have reported issues in the end game, due to item production threads being single threaded.)

If you can stomach the Epic store, I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.

Satisfactory is too big. Everything is gigantic and has been hard for me to place properly. I understand why people like it but I definitely like Anno better because it's easier to do stuff. Another game that I'm also enjoying in this space (although it's EA) is Factory Town.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Satisfactory is too big. Everything is gigantic and has been hard for me to place properly. I understand why people like it but I definitely like Anno better because it's easier to do stuff. Another game that I'm also enjoying in this space (although it's EA) is Factory Town.

That was an initial complaint of mine as well, but the fact that they unlock the lookout tower early on means they intend for you to have a height advantage while building, and in secondary games you start planning for verticallity early on.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Nevermind, I ended up getting a crash, though after ~3.5 hours.
As for satisfactory, I tried it around launch with a friend, but we decided to let it lie until it got a couple more updates.

Whenever I want a giant factory, I'll just do Factorio after all.
Though I could probably settle into satisfactory if I gave it another swing.

e: The continental island is ludicrously large. I wonder how many millions of people you can house on it once you cram it full.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 30, 2019

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
"The Colonists" has a terrible name but has basically replaced 1800 for me since everything doesn't take a million years to do (having the ships move between old and new worlds in real time was the worst decision ever). It's a little lower level with individual goods being individually transported instead of 1t units that are distributed to houses automatically, and the basic loop is slightly different in that houses use goods to make batteries, which are necessary to harvest resources, which build buildings. It hits the same part of my brain that anno does and that factorio didn't quite do, so I highly recommend it. Also it has easily accessible statistics for everything!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

"The Colonists" has a terrible name but has basically replaced 1800 for me since everything doesn't take a million years to do (having the ships move between old and new worlds in real time was the worst decision ever). It's a little lower level with individual goods being individually transported instead of 1t units that are distributed to houses automatically, and the basic loop is slightly different in that houses use goods to make batteries, which are necessary to harvest resources, which build buildings. It hits the same part of my brain that anno does and that factorio didn't quite do, so I highly recommend it. Also it has easily accessible statistics for everything!
Oh wow, is that game actually good? It looked absolutely adorable, but it also looked like a kind of janky early access game, and I think I read something about it not performing well or being fiddly or something. If it's actually user friendly and feels good to play, it looks like exactly my kind of game. (Even thought it doesn't have co-op...)

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I haven't had any issues, but I just got it recently so they might have fixed a lot of that since release. The way roads work can get fiddly, especially if you have a bottleneck somewhere, but it hasn't been annoying enough to bother me yet. The worst part of the game is the combat which is super tedious, but I've just been playing the non-combat missions and getting plenty of enjoyment out of those

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Someone please tell me how Ubisoft is out of stock of a digital product.

Also, when are they gonna drop the price of Anno 1800.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 31, 2019

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I've been dicking around with the new DLC all day today. It's pretty sweet.

-Huge new island in a new session. My island had 9 iron reserves. It's huge.
-New guy, Nate, makes items out of scrap and other ingredients. Pretty interesting so far.
-Diving bell ship gives you some poo poo to do around the map.
-Some new story stuff involving the new session.

It's not bad. I think it could have been better in a couple of aspects. For one, the huge island is not going to be good for co-op (if it exists or will ever be implemented). One person gets the huge island and nobody else does. That's not fun if you are trying to co op. I think there could have been a new session with multiple big island spawns. Hand-craft 3 to 5 new big islands and place them in the new session so a full 4 players can have access. Or make it so the big islands can be enabled in the old world, too. But still, 4 huge islands and then a couple of old starter sized islands along with a smattering of little islands in the new session would have been possible.

That's my gripe so far.

I think that once we get the stats building things will be better. I think my wish list is:

stats building
co-op
(workshop) mod integration (workshop won't happen on steam because anno/ubi has abandoned steam)
better trade UI
ability to create custom islands and maps

I think those few things would go a long way to make this a classic. Sure not sure how 1800 will go down compared to 1404 and 2070. I never played 1404 but I did play 2070 and it seems like the systems were superior. The whole underwater expansion was huge and added a ton of neat stuff, beyond session changes. The combat felt more a part of the game than tacked on. I dunno.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

How do you get the new huge island? I bought the DLC and started a new game but haven’t seen any changes at all - no huge island, no new characters, etc.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
When you get 700 artisans you'll get an expedition to find the new lands.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Welp, I'm having that awesome Uplay bug where downloads start well then 10sec in go down to 0 B/s. Tried reinstalling Uplay, changing DNS options, deleted and redownloading, big loving fart.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Quantum Shart posted:

Welp, I'm having that awesome Uplay bug where downloads start well then 10sec in go down to 0 B/s. Tried reinstalling Uplay, changing DNS options, deleted and redownloading, big loving fart.
Having to source what you paid for from :filez: and point uPlay at the install folder to do anything with it is pretty much peak Ubisoft.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

By the way, mods have slowly started to emerge, thanks to someone making a good mod loader.

https://www.nexusmods.com/anno1800/mods/5
This mini-modpack contains a lot of loving things that should have been in the game, honestly. (everything toggle-able.)

Like different tiers of cargo ships having larger storage.
Enabling the commuter pier for the new world.
Re-enabling non-river New World islands, or even disabling the river ones.
Newspaper lasts 2x as long.
Oilfield radius increase, because it's loving always 2 tiles too small to cover all the oil patches.
Zoo/Museum placement by radius, instead of needing to be connected
It also adds a dynamic day/night cycle, which the game has support for, it's just not currently used. (Left over from 2205, I imagine?)

A lot of small things that might make the game easier, but more pleasant to play, honestly.

It's also worth noting that the game does actually have an internal python API, so it's possible that mods will be able to do a lot more with the game once people figure it out, compared to earlier titles.
But yeah, as someone mentioned, I really wish they'd push out some official mod tools for the game, or atleast an island editor. (Even though you'd need worldmachine as well to actually make the islands themselves.)

Also, I do appreciate that a pretty decent chunk of the new artefacts in the game actually get custom models in the museums and the like now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

With the new DLC, larger riverless islands aren't as important anymore.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man with the Sunken Treasures DLC I gotta say: rush a visitor pier on the giant island the queen gives you ASAP. The thing is so huge you get such a massive "untapped wilderness" bonus for it that it's basically a free 4K income for nothing.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Update from Gamescom 2019 details a number of coming additions and announcements for Anno 1800; notably the second of three DLCs under the Season's Pass will be releasing Tuesday, September 10th. Botanica includes a new modular building similar to the museum and zoo, and some additional expedition quests (I think) but no new maps. In addition to the DLC a patch will also be dropping that includes, among other things, a day/night cycle for the world. I guess it's a neat addition?

For the length of Gamescom (now until Aug. 25th) you can also play the game for free. It's not the full game though, it's similar to the open betas that were available before launch where the first 3 tiers are available but that's it, you can also use it to preview the new day/night cycle they're adding if you want. You can opt in through Uplay and EGS (which will just point you back to Uplay).

They also released a trailer which gives some details on upcoming additions, part of which includes the third DLC, Northwest Passage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UowsqoV0egc

Seems they are mixing in a little bit of steampunk with our industrial revolution since it will introduce the ability for you to build your own fleet of airships. Not quite the direction I expect it to go but could be cool if it's not just tracked on.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Still unable to process how much I'd like these things with the gulf in my heart that is lack of true coop, but I'm just wondering how these possibly interesting DLC work in multiplayer.

I mean, obviously they don't work very well now because there's no coop, but are these things done Paradox style where you get to use all the DLC that the host has, or will everyone need to buy the DLC for it to work?

The Northwest Passage map, and other extra maps like that, would make coop a lot more fun. And honestly would probably only be fun in coop, as these things tend to overwhelm as you spend an hour fiddling on one map and totally ignoring everything else. Whenever I'm doing a lot of work in the New World I feel bad because time is passing and I'm not progressing my main island. It's a bad feeling, even if it isn't really a gameplay problem at the end of the day, that would feel a lot better with coop.

Not sure how I feel about airships. I mean, they're cool and all in principle, but they kind of change the feel of the game. It was never 100% grounded, and always just a Victorian coat of paint... but airships really change the historical feel of the game and I'm not sure that's good.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Eiba posted:

I mean, obviously they don't work very well now because there's no coop, but are these things done Paradox style where you get to use all the DLC that the host has, or will everyone need to buy the DLC for it to work?

I don't know about coop since nothing has been mentioned about it but I believe the official line from the devs is that in multiplayer all the players must have the DLC in order for it to be played. Having not played any multiplayer myself I'm not sure if you're locked to only playing with individuals with the DLC or if the game will disable the DLC if anyone in the lobby doesn't have it. I suspect the same would carry through to coop if/when it gets added as well.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So how'd this turn out? Saw a lot of excitement before release for a return to form after the future games, that pan out?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

victrix posted:

So how'd this turn out? Saw a lot of excitement before release for a return to form after the future games, that pan out?

For me, it is overwhelming. So much stuff to look at and figure out how to optimize. I play it in small bites because otherwise I literally get tired. Hopefully others who played with all options and NPC types on can add to this.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I'm still having serious performance issues in DX11. DX12 runs beautifully, but will crash every couple of hours. For reference i I have an i7-8700k and GTX 1080TI.

The game is really fun, but once things get big, performance drops to a crawl. Also, I think we're still waiting on the stats buildings and improved trade interface.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I very much like it, though there can be a lot going on, as Mayveena mentions.
With the DLC that recently popped you'll have to manage 3 different sessions at the same time.
Meaning that if you're quarreling with a couple of the NPCs it can lead to you getting spread pretty thin.

It does feel larger scale than 1404/2070, but unlike them there also a kind of paradigm-shift in the middle of the game, where unlocking oil and electricity can let you massively overhaul production.
I guess one sticking point can be that in the early-mid game, population/workforce is per island, so every production island needs a settlement to support the workforce.
Though later in you unlock a commuting pier that lets you pool together the workforce across the entire session.

Depending on where you are in the game, you might need to bounce back and forth between sessions, and it's kind of up to you how much of an issue that is.
(If your pc has the memory for it, swapping between sessions takes like 2-3 seconds.)

A big downside if you want coop is that they still haven't implemented it, despite the game supporting multiplayer. So you can't build up a massive imperium with your friends just yet.
I think it might be my favorite Anno so far, though I miss the Sci-fi settings and slick design. (Though to make up for it cities are pretty beautiful and full of life and detail.)

And if you just want to build a giant city, the newest DLC has an island that's on par with, if not bigger than the biggest maps in 2205.
(Static island, same every session, though some of the smaller islands on that map are randomized, I believe.)

e: ^^^^^^ Yeah, statistics is still not implemented, but is supposed to come as a free patch at some point, according to them. (Same as Coop.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 26, 2019

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've managed to put in almost 3 times as much playtime into 1800 as I did for 2205. I've enjoyed all the games that have come out in the series but 1800 really feels like one of the originals and keeps sucking me back in. Wasn't super pleased when they pulled the EGS stunt right before release but I would still recommend the game.

The first DLC, Sunken Treasures, really changes things up as well. I was surprised by just how much it changes things from my original playstyle; would strongly suggest picking it up as well (with or without the seasons pass). Before it was a rush to get the New World unlocked, now I find the primary goal of the early game is to get Cape Trelawney unlocked so you can begin building your capital. I'm actually still playing my first game since the first DLC dropped and am still not satisfied with it - some 32K Investors later and I find the Old World map is being used to suck the world dry of iron, coal, copper and zinc so it can be refined and shipped to the capital for further manufacturing. The New World meanwhile is being turned into some steampunk hell world where islands are clear cut for endless fields of sugarcane, coffee beans and rubber. Production is augmented using specialists, chemicals/machines and those robotic workers you get in the expansion. I find I have to keep shifting things around as I try and figure out how to squeeze a few more tons of coffee or rum out of an island for the hedonists back home to drink themselves to death with. I have to keep a steady flow of exhibitions running to keep trying for new rewards to help augment production further so it's never ending bread and circuses for the people back home while the rest of the planet turns into a polluted, toxic hellscape. God knows what kind of environmental damage I'm doing but the capital is always hungry for more.

With all this going on I don't actually find it difficult to keep an eye on all 3 zones. Wars can be tricky but you just need to commit to where you're strongest, secure that then move on to the next map. It can be costly but wars that are a breeze are boring to fight anyway.

In a slight change from an earlier opinion of mine I do, however, find myself wanting the statistic building to be released sooner rather then later. Not something I would've found useful earlier but with now having so much production and so many production augmenting things on the map I'm losing track of what is where. All I can do for the most part is look at wearhouse and determine if something is going up or down then react. Knowing exactly how much I am making and how much I need would let me expand a lot less haphazardly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, the biggest issue I’ve run into thus far is fully understanding what the gently caress is going on as I start really spreading out. I didn’t know there was a statistic building though... I need to beeline for that. I’ve just about finished making my Artisans happy enough to upgrade them, but every time I go to the new world to try and sort out rum production, something goes tits-up elsewhere and distracts me.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 26, 2019

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
To clarify for anyone new - that statistics building is not yet in the game (it was something they had in 2070 though). It has been promised to us but the release date is still TBD with no timeframes given.

The next game update, and second of three DLCs planned so far, is due on September 10th and will not include the stats building.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Finally played to Engineers. How do you hook up the rail from the storage to the harbor storage?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mayveena posted:

Finally played to Engineers. How do you hook up the rail from the storage to the harbor storage?

From the building that maintains the oil derricks to the oil refinery on the coast? Hope you have a clear path. Remember that the rail way CAN cross a single tile of road at least.

From the refinery to the harbor buildings that just add +storage? You don't, those work the same way the normal +storage harbor warehouses work, they just give you a flat bonus.

The only buildings that connect to your rail lines are the oil collection one that maintains the oil rigs (and often explodes), the harbor and the power plants. On all of those, the tile that accepts the rail will be highlighted if you're currently building railroad tiles. Just build/drag rails into the building and you'll be cool.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Alkydere posted:

From the building that maintains the oil derricks to the oil refinery on the coast? Hope you have a clear path. Remember that the rail way CAN cross a single tile of road at least.

This was changed in a patch at some point, tracks can now cross multiple roads that are next to each other; just keep in mind that railway bridges cannot be directly adjacent to other bridges, tracks cannot run parallel directly down a street and placing a road directly in front of a connection will break the connection between the track and building (at least in my experience).

For the tracks themselves it's hard to describe and I can't get examples on my phone but basically you'll want to build loops. Avoid setups that have only a single lie between the storage dock and the oilwell (unless they are very close by). Either twin tracks where possible or run them around buildings/blocks so that trains can pass each other. There are no signals and trains will not stop between their origin or destination, the route must also be clear before they will depart. If anything is in the way they'll hold until the path they want to take is clear.

Running tracks through a city can be a pain if you didn't plan ahead. A bit late for that now but when first laying out a city I'll leave a gap between some blocks so I can run trains between two roads. This should help trains avoid making huge detours around your city, allows them access to city centers where you may need power stations and, most importantly, avoids making you do costly urban renewal projects to reaccrange everything after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here's the situation:

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do here. Thanks for the help.