Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So I guess this is a good time to practice slight of hand or whatever now. Either to get good at spotting it or just rack up the free wins due to no judges being around to catch you cheating (everyone will do this one btw). Honestly theres more reasons to cancel paper tournaments than to have them. Pretty much the only thing in favor of them is nostalgia. People can still have conventions about games that are entirely online and I think that's what will take the place of the biggest tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The mid-level paper events were a huge headache and mostly resulted in an extermely diffuse prize pool that got almost no benefit for anyone except grinders so i think WOTC would prefer it just be SCG/CFB doing the mid-level stuff so WOTC can run big, showy events and small-scale marketing-friendly FNM/prerelease stuff.

The big pool of L1 judges don't really fit in that ecosystem and that's probably why they're getting the axe.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

quote:

Renewal cost of a license to practice law is $430 in the State of California, comparable to your L3 certification at $400. That license allows an attorney to continue practicing law, which allows for a salary that will typically provide around $50,000 (or much more depending on experience) and allows for the many privileges of being a lawyer and creatively interpreting or possibly influencing public policy.

Renewal cost of a Professional Engineering license is $115. In addition to allowing an engineering salary that starts at $80,000, Professional Engineers have the principal privilege of building infrastructure and the principal responsibility of making sure it doesn't collapse.

Renewal cost of an EMT certification is $62.50 ($125 every two years). Note that while EMTs make only $34,000 (which is a shame considering what they do), they're also responsible for maximizing the chance that their patient survives life-threatening trauma.

A lead judge, typically an L3, makes $500 a day working a GP. They'll be scheduled for two days, so $1000 per weekend. If they do a GP per month, we'll add $12,000 to their day job, minus travel and lodgings where required. They have the privileges and responsibilities of being a judge, which include providing rulings, ensuring Magic events run smoothly, and acting as an authority to the wider Magic community. Note also that L2 Judges and lower will make much less.

If the cost is going to be $100-400 per year to maintain a judge certification, are we expecting that the certification will provide income enhancement, benefits, responsibilities, and support for said responsibilities comparable to actual professions with comparable certification maintenance costs?

quote:

JA: This is an interesting way of framing this idea in a way that honestly we had not considered before reading it here.

:laffo: oh my god this just keeps getting better.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

axeil posted:

:laffo: oh my god this just keeps getting better.

you just loving know that's the sound of the brainworms going "WOW this makes our judges just as legitimate as EMTs, lawyers and engineers!!"

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I said like 2 weeks ago that it seemed like paper Magic was on it's way out and eas mocked for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh, hah, it wasn't just some SCG rando, it was their general manager.

This is sure something alright. :allears:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wasn't the entire value of the judge foils that A) they were good cards and B) the supply was quite limited? This seems to mitigate B entirely

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I said like 2 weeks ago that it seemed like paper Magic was on it's way out and eas mocked for it.

WotC/Hasbro continuously loving up competitive Magic doesn't equal phasing out paper Magic.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AceClown posted:

you just loving know that's the sound of the brainworms going "WOW this makes our judges just as legitimate as EMTs, lawyers and engineers!!"

One of the replies is gold too.

quote:

How can that possibly be?

I mean that as a serious question--accrediting and certification organizations have existed in America and around the world for decades, and anyone who's owned a car is aware of the existence of ASE as a certification organization. When you sat down to set up Judge Academy, how could it possibly have been that the very first thing you did wasn't to research other accrediting organizations, to see how to do it right?

Your answer here really only leaves two possibilities:

-You have not done your corporate due diligence in preparing to act as a certifying organization. If this is true, it leaves me gravely concerned about your ability to actually supply and service the certifications you're promising.

-Your claim to have not considered parallel examples of similar organizations is an outright lie. If this is true, it leaves me gravely concerned about your ability to be trustworthy as an accrediting/certification organization.

They absolutely did not research other accrediting organizations because the entire point of this is to put :10bux: into WoTC's pockets while killing off the competitive paper magic scene.

quote:

Question: Are you seriously, with a straight face, claiming that Judge Academy has more administrative costs than the organization which certifies and staffs EMTs? If you don't even exist as a corporate entity yet and you already are faced with such administrative bloat, I shudder to think what you'll look like in a year or two or five.

:laugh:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh, hah, it wasn't just some SCG rando, it was their general manager.

This is sure something alright. :allears:

lol, wonder if there's anything stopping people just registering randos from the phonebook or just all your family and friends as judges to get the foils? (assuming the foils are worth more than the fees)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elyv posted:

IANAL, but the one thing that isn't clear to me is that I don't understand why this would protect them from past labor violations.

agreeing they’re now employees and paying them would be a bad fact when it came to any future lawsuits. no idea how completely winning the previous lawsuits foreclosed new ones though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so what happens when this totally-not-affiliated-with-WotC judge company gets sued for wage theft? Even a smattering of lawsuits seems more than sufficient to completely drain any coffers they have.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

AceClown posted:

lol, wonder if there's anything stopping people just registering randos from the phonebook or just all your family and friends as judges to get the foils? (assuming the foils are worth more than the fees)

Considering you pay $100 for a set of 8 foils, no matter what level you're at, I'd say they cost exactly $12.50 each to buy directly from the manufacturer. And if the resale price is too high, hell, just go be a judge and get your own at wholesale rates! Making a bunch of fake L1 accounts seems a lot easier than getting to L3.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AceClown posted:

To get certified as an L1, you need an L2 to put you forward for it, after an in-person interview.

Theroetically, if you get an L2 to start doing fraudulent certifications, that L2 will get decertified themselves, but who knows, since that would be directly profiting this new company.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A big flaming stink posted:

so what happens when this totally-not-affiliated-with-WotC judge company gets sued for wage theft? Even a smattering of lawsuits seems more than sufficient to completely drain any coffers they have.

Ah, but you see, they do not provide employment services - that is on you, the dumbass rube independent contractor.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

axeil posted:

WoTC was staring down the very unpleasant prospect of having to pay for possibly decades of unpaid wages to their judges. Rather than just...paying them they came up with this system. It also has the added benefit of effectively being a massive cut to the existing number of judges out there. Pretty soon you'll see events either cancelled ("Sorry, we couldn't get enough judges to do this tournament") or the quality of play will drop well below what you get on Arena because the judging will be inadequate. This whole time they're making money from the remnant of old judges that decide to pay for the privilege of working for WoTC.

Now, normally, this would be absolute suicide for a card game like Magic, but WoTC has Arena and Arena is finally exiting "beta" at the end of this quarter. Arena will do all the judging and rules following for you and has the added benefit of not being a human that wants pesky things like "wages" and "reasonable working conditions", it's all automated.

So slowly we'll see things shift. A few months from now maybe they make a breathless press release about how FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER they're going to do a Grand Prix-like event in Arena. Then it's suddenly a Pro Tour-like event and pretty soon Wizards can just start quietly cancelling the paper versions because after all, all the playerbase is now on Arena!

It's a rather clever plan to move things into a system where they have far more control, but I think the way they've done it is transparent enough that people are going to be pissed.

edit: It would be sort of hilarious though if all this absolutely wrecks the secondary market and the "investment" of MTGFinance types. If high-level paper play went away the only cards that would still retain any value would probably be those on the restricted list or are otherwise hard to acquire.

Seems insane to risk the future of a game that's been successful in paper for 26 years by pushing those players towards a program that's been successful for like a year. I still have trouble justifying playing Arena at all since mtgo has real drafts and a secondary market so I'm not stuck with these rotating standard cards. Also has the formats I'm actually interested in. I'd think it'd be ideal to want both arena and paper to be successful since there's a massive chunk of the playerbase that has no interest in Arena or only uses Arena to get additional testing for paper events.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

freeman posted:

Seems insane to risk the future of a game that's been successful in paper for 26 years by pushing those players towards a program that's been successful for like a year. I still have trouble justifying playing Arena at all since mtgo has real drafts and a secondary market so I'm not stuck with these rotating standard cards. Also has the formats I'm actually interested in. I'd think it'd be ideal to want both arena and paper to be successful since there's a massive chunk of the playerbase that has no interest in Arena or only uses Arena to get additional testing for paper events.

I don't think wotc is trying to get rid of paper, but more to try to get the OP for paper into a more promotional mode, so it's cutting out the mid-tier events that don't really have a lot of purpose in that regard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Nothing to Wizards or Hasbro which seems to be the whole point?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Panzeh posted:

I don't think wotc is trying to get rid of paper, but more to try to get the OP for paper into a more promotional mode, so it's cutting out the mid-tier events that don't really have a lot of purpose in that regard.

That's an interesting situation; if your only options were to play FNM (with rules advisors) or to try and qualify online for the Mythic Championships, does the entire GP circuit just go away at that point? And if it does, that basically permanently kills off Modern and Legacy doesn't it? It's Standard, Limited, and all-cards-on-Arena basically for good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

That's an interesting situation; if your only options were to play FNM (with rules advisors) or to try and qualify online for the Mythic Championships, does the entire GP circuit just go away at that point? And if it does, that basically permanently kills off Modern and Legacy doesn't it? It's Standard, Limited, and all-cards-on-Arena basically for good.

I think WOTC wants them to survive just because the big secondary market is part of the history and marketing of the game, but they don't want to pony up to run a huge GP circuit for people to grind modern/legacy when SCG and other third parties will do it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
WotC doesn't want to kill of Modern because Hasbro specifically called out Modern Horizons as one of the growth driving products during their earnings report. I have literally no idea what their goal actually is though.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I'm following along but still don't quite understand something; what exactly was the issue and outcome of the previous lawsuit? Why are they "facing" paying judges retroactively, apparently, based on this lawsuit, but not actually? It looks like there were two suits, one of which (by one guy) was dismissed but the other one (many plaintiffs) I can't find the result of. Did they win, but fear more related lawsuits?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol are they really encouraging L2s and L3s to recruit lower-tier suckers members, how is that not MLM behavior

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Afaik the outcomes haven't been disclosed, other than that if they don't change things by Oct. 1 then there are unacceptable repercussions to Hasbro.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

Afaik the outcomes haven't been disclosed, other than that if they don't change things by Oct. 1 then there are unacceptable repercussions to Hasbro.

Ok, that makes a ton of sense, slamming this bullshit into place as quickly as possible.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ItBreathes posted:

Toby Elliott posted that the alternative was a "smoldering crater".

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

A "smoldering crater" being "paying judges for the illegal labor we extracted from them plus damages" most likely.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

LifeLynx posted:

Judges would have been better off

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

A Moose posted:

So I guess this is a good time to practice slight of hand or whatever now. Either to get good at spotting it or just rack up the free wins due to no judges being around to catch you cheating (everyone will do this one btw). Honestly theres more reasons to cancel paper tournaments than to have them. Pretty much the only thing in favor of them is nostalgia. People can still have conventions about games that are entirely online and I think that's what will take the place of the biggest tournaments.

Just do the double nickel, it’s not at all hard to do and if the judge hasn’t heard of it it looks totally innocent. best effort/reward/risk ratio

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LifeLynx posted:

I'd pay 2 and cycle this program too, tbh.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Just do the double nickel, it’s not at all hard to do and if the judge hasn’t heard of it it looks totally innocent. best effort/reward/risk ratio

Do six piles of ten to count your opponent's cards.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

"mana-weaving is fine, I do it all the time. Can I borrow $100 for the next set of foils?" - Judges, 2020

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Make JA a "forgotten cave" by deleting posts about it and hoping we forget, and instead just paying judges like you fuckin should've, before paper magic becomes a "blasted landscape".

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
I mean, if this Judge certification protocol is now something that ANYONE can do, related to WotC or not, then I mean, aren't the floodgates just going to start opening?

What I'm saying is, can anyone help me set up a Kickstarter for Doobie's Judge House?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Make JA a "forgotten cave" by deleting posts about it and hoping we forget, and instead just paying judges like you fuckin should've, before paper magic becomes a "blasted landscape".

Can we also send Hasbro's entire board of directors to a remote isle?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Abhorrence posted:

I mean, if this Judge certification protocol is now something that ANYONE can do, related to WotC or not, then I mean, aren't the floodgates just going to start opening?

What I'm saying is, can anyone help me set up a Kickstarter for Doobie's Judge House?

There are no protocols. The new thing has set up (is setting up, as they dont appear to have any details yet) their own standards and levels, but there's no structure or system they tie into.

What the new thing does have is judge foils, and implied exclusivity to them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Can we also send Hasbro's entire board of directors to a remote isle?

They'd turn that "lonely sandbar" into a "polluted mire" before you could tap the sol ring and raze them.

I'd rather drown them in "fetid pools" by which I mean drowning them.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Magic as a whole was way closer to dying from BFoZ block to Kaladesh block, during that string of really bad standard formats. Yes, the new judge academy is bad and lovely for paper tournament players and absolutely reeks of WotC or Hasbro trying to dodge paying 26 years worth of wages for judges, but there are a ton of players out there this won't affect.

Sampatrick posted:

WotC doesn't want to kill of Modern because Hasbro specifically called out Modern Horizons as one of the growth driving products during their earnings report. I have literally no idea what their goal actually is though.
Wizards, and especially Hasbro wouldn't want to kill off paper magic when it (and MTGO) are the only way to play modern (once modern arrives on arena though...). The whole JA thing is likely an attempt to avoid paying 26 years of wages and otherwise make sure judges aren't considered employees.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
In WotC's defense, setting up judges as employees when labor laws vary between the many different countries Magic is played in and even within just the United States has got to be difficult.

But gently caress them because they had at least 20 years and millions of dollars to figure it out, and instead they just blissfully ignored it and benefited from "volunteer" labor until enough people caused enough of a problem for their corporate overlords that they were forced to take drastic action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

As long as Hasbro is making $infinity by selling paper cards, they will continue to support paper events.