Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stanyer89 posted:

Here's my attempt in painting up the first of my new plastic mechs:

Working on my Locust next :D

This is insanely good and should be used as an example of what you can do with the new minis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Seeing stuff like this definitely gets me more excited about the new minis

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Stanyer89 posted:

Here's my attempt in painting up the first of my new plastic mechs:

Working on my Locust next :D

This is really good. Like it alot. However, I think your primer has gone to poo poo. Can see the primer texture on here.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
After reviewing the survey, here's some CGL-proposed changes to the Lance packs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15gzi0ah_F2xKHcsN1KNnArS0kb38f_UZIbYEi5kcfuo/edit#gid=0

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'd prefer the berserker but it a post invasion mech.

A friend of mine would really love them to include the Emperor.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Extremely sad at the Battletech community for not being totally on board with the Berserker. Just shameful.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm happy with 75% of these changes, and at least one of them is me being mad at losing the Fire Falcon because I actually like that 'Mech and I'm 90% sure people voted it off due to looks, which is what this was supposed to solve.

I guess I'll have to be happy with even more heavies instead. :sigh:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Strobe posted:

I guess I'll have to be happy with even more heavies instead. :sigh:

My Ice Hellion force cries out for more light and medium mechs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
e: I'm an idiot

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 29, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Someone on Reddit put together an album with images showing exactly what comes in each backer tier level (current as of today-ish, presumably?). Really helps to visualize what you're getting with your pledges, since the KS page itself doesn't make it super easy to find all the info at-a-glance taking into account stretch goals etc.

https://imgur.com/a/tO7ePl4

Still haven't backed, but looking at Star Captain still.

I didn't get the new Game of Armored Combat boxset that came out last year... is there anything in there besides the IS mechs that I would be missing out on? I assume the rulebook is going to be the exact same. Otherwise I might add the Game of Armored Combat box as an add-on.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 29, 2019

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Drone posted:

Someone on Reddit put together an album with images showing exactly what comes in each backer tier level (current as of today-ish, presumably?). Really helps to visualize what you're getting with your pledges, since the KS page itself doesn't make it super easy to find all the info at-a-glance taking into account stretch goals etc.

https://imgur.com/a/tO7ePl4

Still haven't backed, but looking at Star Captain still.

I didn't get the new Game of Armored Combat boxset that came out last year... is there anything in there besides the IS mechs that I would be missing out on? I assume the rulebook is going to be the exact same. Otherwise I might add the Game of Armored Combat box as an add-on.

Cheaper to buy AGoAC from online retailer than getting it as an add-on.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mugaaz posted:

Cheaper to buy AGoAC from online retailer than getting it as an add-on.

The add-on is 50 bucks, and the cheapest I can find AGoAC online here in Germany is 70 Euros, since there is no stock apparently anywhere and so the price gets jacked up. Shipping from the States is an option but then I'm at or above the 70 bucks that Amazon would cost me anyway.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 29, 2019

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know if the old mech duel rules from the Solaris VII box set were ever reprinted or revised for the latest Battletech edition?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Pussy Cartel posted:

Does anyone know if the old mech duel rules from the Solaris VII box set were ever reprinted or revised for the latest Battletech edition?

They were not. After some support in a couple of supplements, they were abandoned.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

2nd mech done. Love this little Locust.

I still have a few touch-ups to do but this was done with about 6 hrs of actual work put into it.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Looking good. I've been very happy with the Classics reimaginings -- just light-years ahead of the Reseen takes. The Locust manages to get the general form down with being quite so comically spindly.

I'm sad we're no longer getting a new Berserker, but I'm pretty excited to see things like the Cataphract, Longbow, Crusader. It's also great that they're designing them side-by-side to scale with one another, so you won't get crazy sizing deviations any longer.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm pretty sure at least someone who can fiddle with the renders is checking the relative sizes with a density tool. So far everything has been consistent in a way I couldn't have dreamed of five years ago.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I was chatting with Shimmy and he showed me that sort of thing, so yeah, it's all being calculated digitally as a whole instead of just eyeballed like the old days.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stanyer89 posted:

2nd mech done. Love this little Locust.

I still have a few touch-ups to do but this was done with about 6 hrs of actual work put into it.

This looks real good!

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

This looks real good!

Thanks guy! Now I just need to figure out how to play this drat game. 15+ years of only playing Warhammer 40k/30k is going to make it hard to learn a new system.

Going to start out with Alpha Strike first though....

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Alpha Strike is solid and plays relatively quickly. It has a few oddities, but it really elevates a lot of units that would be marginal at best in standard play. Bookkeeping's light and you can get cards for every unit off the official Master Unit List so the only barrier for entry's the rulebook.

I suggest skill 3 pilots and play without any SPAs or lance SPAs to start out, and adding more mechanics as you get comfortable with moving and shooting and calculating ToHits.

The Clans are still playing Rocket Tag though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If you've only ever played 40k, it's going to make you think you need to do a lot more rolling than you need to. I can't speak to Alpha Strike, but in Battletech proper, there's only ever one roll to determine if an action is successful. Once that's established, it's a question of determining where the hit was. Defense is in movement and positioning and how the guts of the mech are designed.

Also, actions are resolved simultaneously so it's possible to blow a mech to pieces in the same turn that it makes you eat poo poo. It's quite refreshing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I am incredibly biased because I love Alpha Strike to death (and enough to run one of the big convention Alpha Strike events every year) but it's definitely my favorite way to play BattleTech. With a relatively very few edge cases exceptions, I think it's probably also the most balanced (in terms of point costs versus what you actually get on the table) ways to experience the entire franchise.

EDIT: in standard Alpha Strike with no optional rules it's literally just "roll to hit, do damage" because each unit has a pool of health.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strobe posted:

EDIT: in standard Alpha Strike with no optional rules it's literally just "roll to hit, do damage" because each unit has a pool of health.

Nothing wrong with this. I would hope that there'd be some things like as it takes damage it suffers penalties to at least recreate the simulator feel of CBT? I do like that you can neutralize specific threats in CBT, but it's definitely fiddly.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nothing wrong with this. I would hope that there'd be some things like as it takes damage it suffers penalties to at least recreate the simulator feel of CBT? I do like that you can neutralize specific threats in CBT, but it's definitely fiddly.

There's one row of pips for armor, another for structure. Whenever an attack damages structure, the unit takes a critical hit. The critical hit table is:

2: Ammo explosion
3: Engine hit (+1 heat/turn if you shot anything, the Alpha Strike heat scale is 0-4 where 4 is Shutdown; a second engine hit kills the 'Mech)
4: Fire Control Hit (+2 penalty to shooting, as if everything were one range band farther away)
5: Nothing bad happens
6: Weapon Hit (-1 to all damage you can do with anything except melee)
7: MP Hit (half movement speed, half TMM)
8: Weapon Hit
9: Nothing bad happens
10: Fire Control Hit
11: Engine Hit
12: You're Dead

It's not quite as granular; in Alpha Strike, it's probably better to think of the Lance or Star as the analog to a single 'Mech in Total Warfare. Instead of losing limbs you lose 'Mechs.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Reading through some of the rules I think the weirdest thing (compared to WH30k/40k) is going to be keeping track of the move modifiers for your to hit and your opponents along with different elevations and water.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stanyer89 posted:

Reading through some of the rules I think the weirdest thing (compared to WH30k/40k) is going to be keeping track of the move modifiers for your to hit and your opponents along with different elevations and water.

The people I play with use miniature red/white/green dice to track the movement modifiers. On maps it's a little hard to visualize strategy because different buildings/hills have different levels but you can lift up a mini and see exactly what they're on. We also use a straight line laser pointer to track line of sight with a defender's choice rule in case of disagreement (which can be in the defender's benefit considering how easy it is to miss versus limited heat sinks, so it's somewhat balanced)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can somebody explain clan rocket tag to me?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Rocket tag refers to any matchup where the first to land a hit wins. IS mechs either have enough armor or their weapons don't do enough damage that getting blasted isn't game over. Clan mechs are a combination of lightly armored and heavily armed meaning that who tags the other wins.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok, thanks. Are clans just unable to add armor and swap out weapons on their mechs? Dumb questions I know, but I've only played the digital games where building is a big mechanic.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BULBASAUR posted:

Ok, thanks. Are clans just unable to add armor and swap out weapons on their mechs? Dumb questions I know, but I've only played the digital games where building is a big mechanic.

It's mostly that the guns you can slap onto clan mechs are just the most powerful in the game and they have the heat management to handle it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I may be getting this all wrong.

So there's the Inner Sphere which are regular people and regular corps like Comstar (space Verizon) and then after the Succession Wars, there's the Clans on the fringes of space. They are genetically modified super soldiers who are very, very big into silly poo poo like honor and whatever the gently caress. Clanners in tabletop have a lot of special rules around being high/low honor and declaring 1v1 combat, etc. Sadly I always tried to play low honor and they never let me massacre civilians for some loving reason. Bummer.

To put it into Star Wars terms, the Clanners are like the A-Wing, and the Inner Sphere are like the X-Wing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Taintrunner posted:

I may be getting this all wrong.

So there's the Inner Sphere which are regular people and regular corps like Comstar (space Verizon) and then after the Succession Wars, there's the Clans on the fringes of space. They are genetically modified super soldiers who are very, very big into silly poo poo like honor and whatever the gently caress. Clanners in tabletop have a lot of special rules around being high/low honor and declaring 1v1 combat, etc. Sadly I always tried to play low honor and they never let me massacre civilians for some loving reason. Bummer.

To put it into Star Wars terms, the Clanners are like the A-Wing, and the Inner Sphere are like the X-Wing.

The Inner Sphere is the world map, for all intents and purposes. ComStar is a combination of both Space AT&T and the Space Vatican. In the late 3040s, the Clans invade from beyond the explored/colonized edge of the Inner Sphere, having not actually suffered a Space Vatican imposed dark age of technology.

To put it in Star Wars terms, the Clans are a souped up TIE Defender, and the Inner Sphere is a Y-wing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, that's what I meant to say! Thanks Strobe.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR posted:

This might be a bit TLDR, since it involves core game mechanics.

Alpha Strike is a different game from standard play. It's designed to let you play companies or even larger formations of troops easily, so it loses some of BattleTech's grit and granularity in favor of being streamlined and quick to play.

Alpha Strike uses fixed damage numbers, with damage calculated based on a 'Mech's damage potential in standard play. Because the Clans have high damage toys, Clan 'mechs invariably get high to very high damage numbers for their weight class. On average a Clan 'mech is doing 1-2 more damage per weight class than their Inner Sphere counterparts, but they usually pay for it because most of them use XL Engines to get that extra damage and in Alpha Strike an XL Engine reduces a unit's structure because the XL Engine is more vulnerable than a standard one.

Because of their high damage and (typically) weak structure, Clan 'mechs tend to be capable of one- or two-shotting other Clan 'mechs of the same weight class (or at least pushing them into forced withdrawal).

TLDR: engagements involving two Clan forces nearly always end very quickly (often as soon as one side gets a numerical advantage), thus: Rocket Tag.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also there's a fairly firm limit on how much damage a machine can soak. Several of the things that make a unit less susceptible to fluke kills are IS tech, plus the strongest type of armor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And then the Society bested the Clans at their own game.

Which makes sense, since it was Us, Clanners. It was the scientists all along!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

laughs in off-map pushing

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I knew what this was before I clicked on it.

The natural counter is even more hilarious for all of the opposite reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Alpha Strike will be more of what our group is looking at. 2 hours a game vs 6hrs to 3 days for a regular game.

I'd be down to do a campaign with the big boy rules though.