Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if Russia ever gets salty about being totally usurped by China on the world stage

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
That bear looks malnourished.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
ohhhh noooo two nations next to each other are teaming up!!! :ohdear:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
sounds like it’s time for canada to save the day :canada:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if only the OLD China-Russian partnership never broke down...

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder if Russia ever gets salty about being totally usurped by China on the world stage

Wait till you hear about the Sino-Soviet spli.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Known Lecher posted:

The "I spent a month in Beijing / 2 weeks at the Four Seasons in Shanghai / made a day trip to Shenzhen AND LET ME SHARE MY EXPERT INSIGHTS ON CHINA!!" op-ed/magazine writers are my favorite.

they are only my favorite when they validate my staunchly held belief system, and if they do not, the author is a know-nothing hack and a racist

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Galaga posted:

https://twitter.com/Spirit_of_17/status/1156009154344968193

It's true, I've been at the protests and I have personally seen hordes of these libtard expats directing student protesters and teaching them how throw bricks and launch a flaming cart at the cops. CIA collusion is very real and very strong,
yea and i'd imagine there are a fair share of white people at the protests because it's HK but i've never been there so what do i know

it's not like the CIA can't recruit chinese people

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my shifty eyes on the subway struck again and that article whines about how russia is the junior partner in the relationship

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

get that OUT of my face posted:

my shifty eyes on the subway struck again and that article whines about how russia is the junior partner in the relationship

Those inscrutable orientals should learn it's the white* man's job to lead!

*Well more like 0.5 white

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
was hanging around the other evening and was approached by a very brave and sharp young mainlander visiting the U.S. for a brief stint. he was trying to meet people and practice his english. i know how important it is to make local friends when you're visiting from another country so i showed him around, took him down to a cafe because he likes the american food.

when i probed into politics he immediately jumped into the robotic script: I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, I AM AN ORDINARY CHINESE STUDENT.

but he opened up.

he was actually to the left and liked marx, and liked xi's anti-corruption campaign (a very big deal and very successful in reducing corruption, which was rampant) but not the presidency-for-life business and general centralization of power stuff or some of the cheeseball propaganda like his on-the-spot visits broadcasted on CCTV (me: i dunno it seems nice in a kind of sappy way). makes me wonder if the presidency-for-life business is unpopular (it's apparently not discussed openly). he also didn't like anti-japanese sentiment in china, which he felt the government amplified to distract from people's economic problems, and that young people are far less anti-japanese than older generations because they like the anime. so chalk that up to a success for japanese soft power.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Jul 31, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also marxism classes in chinese schools are apparently very boring and just "stories," not really substantive. sounds like they've been stripped of their critique. talked about economic changes in the U.S. and china as well, and he paused looking for the english words, pulled out his huawei tablet and punched in the chinese characters for "SOVIET UNION" and showed it to me, and said china wanted to avoid their fate, but we both agreed that the collapse of the USSR was regrettable.

also discussed political polarization in the U.S., and he said "our right wings and left wings fight too, but online. not with guns." i showed him pictures of the red guards (mostly white guys) open-carrying guns here and carrying giant mao banners and he thought that was hilarious and weirdly kind of proud about that? fun times.

speaking of huawei, i told him the american government wants to ban huawei because it is superior to american products and they want to keep out the competition, and if anyone asks when he's back home, tell them that the american people are upset at their government and that they demand huawei

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

he also didn't like anti-japanese sentiment in china, which he felt the government amplified to distract from people's economic problems, and that young people are far less anti-japanese than older generations because they like the anime. so chalk that up to a success for japanese soft power.

I'd assume having some distance from ww2 also helps a lot. Still it's nice to see that attitudes are changing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

In that case, there is many strong signs that Russia has to actual defer to China in any serious sense beyond some investment in Central Asia and even then it doesn't seem have strongly shifted loyalties in the region, but its the Economist.

also discussed political polarization in the U.S., and he said "our right wings and left wings fight too, but online. not with guns." i showed him pictures of the red guards (mostly white guys) open-carrying guns here and carrying giant mao banners and he thought that was hilarious and weirdly kind of proud about that? fun times.

So I guess you were intentionally gaslighting him about “Red Guards” to see how he would react?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Jul 31, 2019

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

also marxism classes in chinese schools are apparently very boring and just "stories," not really substantive. sounds like they've been stripped of their critique. talked about economic changes in the U.S. and china as well, and he paused looking for the english words, pulled out his huawei tablet and punched in the chinese characters for "SOVIET UNION" and showed it to me, and said china wanted to avoid their fate, but we both agreed that the collapse of the USSR was regrettable.

speaking of huawei, i told him the american government wants to ban huawei because it is superior to american products and they want to keep out the competition, and if anyone asks when he's back home, tell them that the american people are upset at their government and that they demand huawei

Butterfly effect says this is going to result in a bunch of men in suits with briefcases full of Benjamins shows up at the next DSA convention

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i know personal anecdotes aren't evidence of anything except one person's perspective, but while we're on the subject, my ex in Shaoxing is generally cynical about politics across the world and that's no exception with China. she's also concerned about how expensive living and business space is, and felt like the economy wasn't really that great (this was almost two years ago before this completely unnecessary trade war bullshit started in earnest, seriously how does one person have the power to do this poo poo ajdifjadifjsadijfisdafj)

she's absolutely not a Marxist and is insanely bougie so feel free to adjust your concerns accordingly or dismiss them

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

So I guess you were intentionally gaslighting him about “Red Guards” to see how he would react?
i don't know what "gaslighting" means but i was interested in his reaction and it was in theme of talking about america's polarized / extreme climate that evolved naturally, so i didn't plan to spring any traps on him. he was very sharp and sophisticated and could handle these discussions, and i think found he found those maoists amusing. we planned to meet up again so i could take him out and show him some interesting sights

Venom Snake posted:

Butterfly effect says this is going to result in a bunch of men in suits with briefcases full of Benjamins shows up at the next DSA convention
mission accomplished

i know personal anecdotes aren't evidence of anything except one person's perspective, but while we're on the subject, my ex in Shaoxing is generally cynical about politics across the world and that's no exception with China. she's also concerned about how expensive living and business space is, and felt like the economy wasn't really that great (this was almost two years ago before this completely unnecessary trade war bullshit started in earnest, seriously how does one person have the power to do this poo poo ajdifjadifjsadijfisdafj)

she's absolutely not a Marxist and is insanely bougie so feel free to adjust your concerns accordingly or dismiss them
yeah cost of living in china was something else i heard, particularly housing. as far as marx goes, he was critical of marx too but you know, he's important, interesting, etc. and he understood marxist concepts when i was using them to talk about economics even when english is his second language which says something. like you said personal anecdotes are not evidence of anything but it reminds me of something guyovich might've posted where many chinese people, and young chinese people, happen to know a lot about him! like i can talk about alexander hamilton for a minute which he wants to know about but i want to know what he thinks about marx.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Jul 31, 2019

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Grapplejack posted:

I believe you'll find that time and time again Putin has stated that we are moving toward a "multipolar" world. So long as their country's assets aren't being handed over en masse to Browder-types, I think they'll be perfectly happy to have a relationship with China even if it's perceived globally as a junior partner relationship.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
China still pretend they are not as powerful as Russia in the Central Asia "*stan" countries and careful not step on the Russian toes. In this region Russians care more about their faces than the Chinese.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/adrianzenz/status/1156633970701983750?s=20

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreddout posted:

I'd assume having some distance from ww2 also helps a lot. Still it's nice to see that attitudes are changing

you're saying that workers liking the anime is good. gulag

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
okay took him and his friend shooting. it was successful to the extent that they managed to aim the weapons in the general direction of the target and fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Q2iyw5CgE

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
no, don't shoot at the ground...

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
That video makes me want to join the PLA. They look so badass and organised, and very handsome

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/alessabocchi/status/1156513770254012416

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

quote:

Beijing is home to at least 1,000 halal shops and restaurants, according to the Meituan Dianping food delivery app, spread across the city's historic Muslim quarter as well as in other neighborhoods.

It was not clear if every such restaurant in Beijing has been told to cover Arabic script and Muslim symbols. One manager at a restaurant still displaying Arabic said he'd been ordered to remove it but was waiting for his new signs.

Several bigger shops visited by Reuters replaced their signs with the Chinese term for halal - "qing zhen" - while others merely covered up the Arabic and Islamic imagery with tape or stickers.

The Beijing government's Committee on Ethnicity and Religious affairs declined to comment, saying the order regarding halal restaurants was a national directive.

this is lovely but also lol the government kind of sucks at this

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Lightning Knight posted:

this is lovely but also lol the government kind of sucks at this

china.txt

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Someone tell Hong Kongers about Juggalo face paint

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1156876049289891840?s=21

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a sign of things to come?

for context: this is a game against a team from Hong Kong, in the white, and a team in Shenzhen, in the red
that's pretty hosed
that's pretty cool

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thats cute

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So Chinese use ice hockey as an excuse to beat up each other too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tino posted:

So Chinese use ice hockey as an excuse to beat up each other too.
old time hockey! Toe Blake!

ice hockey is a very recent thing there, they got a Beijing-based team in the KHL three seasons ago or thereabouts. they had the first preseason games there two years ago- the LA Kings and the Vancouver Canucks, naturally. i think more people watched the Stanley Cup Finals this year than in the US. Jaromir Jagr and Alex Ovechkin have been tapped to be sport ambassadors to China. of course, this is all leading up to the 2022 Winter Olympics and there's zero chance the NHL is going to skip out on them like they did in 2018. even Gary Bettman isn't that stupid

still has a long way to go to catch up to soccer and basketball but should be fun to watch it grow and develop

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
ACAB on one hand, OTOH:

https://twitter.com/zeusFanHouse/status/1155982225281703936

Golly, whole lots of media coverage of these badass protests but not a peep about gilets jaunes/noirs and the Mauna Kea struggle :thunk:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

staticman posted:

ACAB on one hand, OTOH:

https://twitter.com/zeusFanHouse/status/1155982225281703936

Golly, whole lots of media coverage of these badass protests but not a peep about gilets jaunes/noirs and the Mauna Kea struggle :thunk:

Edit: I'm dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
hong kong protestors are pussies