Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Good to read people who've never read the comics appreciating the show; I think they made this at the perfect time.

People prob worn out on MCU poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

GD_American posted:

Why would you ever want anyone to read Crossed

I'm that guy who has the full run haha

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MoaM posted:

Coming out after Endgame was absolutely perfect for people like me who grew sick of this poo poo beyond the GotG movies

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

Coming out after Endgame was absolutely perfect for people like me who grew sick of this poo poo beyond the GotG movies

That's not me, i'm watching Endgame as we speak

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Boinks posted:

I'm that guy who has the full run haha

Crossed is what happens when someone says "okay, so take the Garth Ennis that made George Clooney drop out of playing Nick Fury, and turn him up to about...23 on a 10 point scale."

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
like others have said, after wiki-ing the original material the series seems like a great adaptation

Spuckuk posted:

Karl Urban accent is so bad I was convinced he was just using his natural kiwi one.

he basically was for about half his scenes. i've heard better british accents from people who've come back with one after living in the uk for a couple of years

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I will say that I liked Simon Pegg's accent, especially when compared to...whatever it is that Cumberpatch does as Dr. Strange. It's not perfect but I could at least buy that he wasn't from across the pond whenever he spoke

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
why didn't they just get old simon pegg to play hughie

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
In the interview they say they didn't want the Jack from Jupiter character in the Seven because they wanted to keep it grounded, but I'm pretty sure he was just a normal guy who could make his skin impervious (like translucent), him going yellow was a side-effect of that, and that's what made Vought come up with the alien backstory.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MoaM posted:

Good to read people who've never read the comics appreciating the show; I think they made this at the perfect time.

Reddit apparently hates it and I'm guessing it's the superhero obsessed types who can't handle it.

Truthfully, it just makes me like it more.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Reddit apparently hates it and I'm guessing it's the superhero obsessed types who can't handle it.

The sub for the show seems to be almost universally positive. Comic forums on reddit are a dumpster fire

Aya Cash is joining season 2 btw.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

where? Maybe dont read about it on The_donald or captured subs like Unpopularopinion

edit: I do see a lot of heavily downvoted comments from comicbros who think it's not edgy enough but otherwise

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 31, 2019

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
there's no jack from jupiter? why'd you kill me dog, jack? is probably the best bit of the series

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I hope translucent hid in Jimmy Fallon's locker room and then punched him in the dick

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

In the interview they say they didn't want the Jack from Jupiter character in the Seven because they wanted to keep it grounded, but I'm pretty sure he was just a normal guy who could make his skin impervious (like translucent), him going yellow was a side-effect of that, and that's what made Vought come up with the alien backstory.

I think they're trying to keep Vaughts cover origins for supes "grounded". The official backstory line from Vaught in the show is that supes are just born out of nowhere like the X-men, or gifted from god or whatever. Saying "and this guys an alien!" screws that up a bit and raises all sorts of questions (why is the first alien in human history punching bank robbers and not ambassador to Jupiter then?)

Although I reckon it could have worked if they'd just leaned into how ridiculous a cover it is and that no one really buys it, like pro wrestlers.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 31, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

massive spider posted:

Although I reckon it could have worked if they'd just leaned into how ridiculous a cover it is and that no one really buys it, like pro wrestlers.
ah that could have been funny

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Rocksicles posted:

That's not me, i'm watching Endgame as we speak

:lol: Same over here. I'm actually excited for what's new to come.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The Deep actor is very good at playing beta, they got to find more humiliating things for him to do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tino posted:

The Deep actor is very good at playing beta, they got to find more humiliating things for him to do.

they could give him a quiver of arrows and a bow

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

endgame evaporated from my memory the second i walked out the theater. i can't imagine people actually get hype for that poo poo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

endgame evaporated from my memory the second i walked out the theater. i can't imagine people actually get hype for that poo poo.

2.791 billion USD, someone enjoyed it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and avatar was the previous highest grossing film. it wasn't good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah the 22nd film in a shared universe that has dominated the box office for 11 years wasn't good. Total poo poo. Nobody liked it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Yeah the 22nd film in a shared universe that has dominated the box office for 11 years wasn't good. Total poo poo. Nobody liked it.

I, too, equate profitability with quality.

There's no way, NO loving WAY, that those two qualities aren't causally linked.

No.

Way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah why would people keep going back if they were lovely films.

Why the gently caress does it always have to be "THIS IS BETTER THAN THIS" over this poo poo. It's okay to enjoy the MCU and the Boys.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kanonvandekempen posted:

I do think it's strange that no one has questioned that all the supes started appearing a few decades ago and only in America and they all work for Vought. What an amazing coincidence. God works in mysterious ways :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Yeah why would people keep going back if they were lovely films.

Why the gently caress does it always have to be "THIS IS BETTER THAN THIS" over this poo poo. It's okay to enjoy the MCU and the Boys.

You don't get AVClub street cred by liking things.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

This. Both types entertain me. I can get all weepy when one of my favorite MCU characters dies and get some perverse enjoyment out of this gritty version of a superhero show.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

mycomancy posted:

I, too, equate profitability with quality.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VOUGHT posted:

I, too, equate profitability with heroism.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

You don't get AVClub street cred by liking things.

I sat through this poo poo at the comic shop for 13 fuckin years and I am over it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Crossed is what happens when someone says "okay, so take the Garth Ennis that made George Clooney drop out of playing Nick Fury, and turn him up to about...23 on a 10 point scale."

The true story behind it is Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis went to a con on one of the smaller British isles but ended up stranded there for a night when a bad storm rolled in. They ended up drinking all night in the hotel bar and started complaining about how boring and hackney zombie books are. Then they wagered on who could make a more hosed up zombie story.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
In terms of cynical superhero stories, I'm surprised Wild Cards. Given that it was written by George RR Martin you'd think they'd have a series of it on Showtime or HBO or something.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The true story behind it is Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis went to a con on one of the smaller British isles but ended up stranded there for a night when a bad storm rolled in. They ended up drinking all night in the hotel bar and started complaining about how boring and hackney zombie books are. Then they wagered on who could make a more hosed up zombie story.

Ahh so that explains Black Gas.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Let’s be honest though, Crossed totally beat Black Gas on that wager. I’m partial to the goon dad who gets his family killed because he thinks he figured out the zombies weakness.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Let’s be honest though, Crossed totally beat Black Gas on that wager. I’m partial to the goon dad who gets his family killed because he thinks he figured out the zombies weakness.

Do tell.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I mean it’s not good but I do get some kicks out of Ennis absolutely telling his readers that he loathes them and they’re terrible.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Panfilo posted:

In terms of cynical superhero stories, I'm surprised Wild Cards. Given that it was written by George RR Martin you'd think they'd have a series of it on Showtime or HBO or something.

It was edited by George RR Martin. It was an anthology series written by a New Mexico gaming group composed of published authors

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
And it is getting at least a pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Crossed is one of the lamest comic book series I have ever comr across and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you get paid to read it. it's maximum Garth Ennis at his absolute worst