Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kuros posted:

How dare you call me out!?

There’s no call out there my fellow discerning gentleman.

Also, where do I start with this Critical Role I’ve been hearing so much about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr Christmas posted:

YouTube and have several hundred hours to spare

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

They've made it available in podcast form now too. The first campaign has a lot of very bad melodrama, especially towards the end when they started developing inter party romances. But at the same time it was really cool to see them go through some actual heroic level d&d, fighting elder dragons and poo poo.

Thus far the second campaign has been much lighter on the melodrama but it was a bit slow to start since they all began at level 2.

E: in case it's not clear I recommend starting with the second campaign. I think the only reason I actually made it through the first one is because I'd been watching it since 2012 when they started and was invested enough to overlook the bad bits

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Jul 30, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skeletor is a ally.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx4osljrMkA

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phlegmish posted:

I'd like to play a game one of these days. One thing that kind of puts me off is, doesn't it take a really long time to calculate the effect of rolls and such? I'm used to D&D-based video games where the computer does that for you.

As others have said, not usually, if you've got a good DM and can do really basic math in your head.

On a players side you say " I swing my sword to attack the goblin" and roll a die. Then you add any bonuses that count. The DM then compares the number you say against a page full of numbers. If your number is higher, you hit the goblin with your sword - if not, you miss. If you hit, roll again to see how much damage you do. Repeat for every player. It doesn't take very long. In a real game, there's more nuance and the numbers are a little more complicated, but that's the basics.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

RFC2324 posted:

Without people like you who were strong enough to do it, people like me have had a chance to even discover ourselves

Wow thank you it really does mean a lot to me to hear that.

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

MageMage posted:

Wow thank you it really does mean a lot to me to hear that.

shut up bitch

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

I'd like to play a game one of these days. One thing that kind of puts me off is, doesn't it take a really long time to calculate the effect of rolls and such? I'm used to D&D-based video games where the computer does that for you.

Worth noting that there are RPGs other than D&D which are considerably lighter on the math and easier to pick up in a lot of ways.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

5e has no math

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

just use roll20

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Potato Salad posted:

5e has no math

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Whybird posted:

Worth noting that there are RPGs other than D&D which are considerably lighter on the math and easier to pick up in a lot of ways.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Like HERO

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Whybird posted:

yes, like FATAL

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

my halfling's anal circumference is wide enough to be used as a hat

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Phlegmish posted:

Fights tend to be pretty quick, really, especially if you have a couple powerhouses on your team. Combat is also usually a pretty small part of most campaigns and you’ll spend far more time chatting with NPCs, investigating problems, and arguing with your party about how best to solve this problem that you also caused. I had a session earlier today and we spent about five minutes killing two bugbears and then 2 hours asking their goblin slave questions and pretending he was our Dragonborn’s daughter after befriending him and taking him into town

Also our bard turned one of the bugbear’s scrotums into a hat

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Whybird posted:

WoW is very easy to get into. Too bad it's poop from a butt.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DiggityDoink posted:

WoW is very easy to get into. Too bad it's poop from a butt.

MMORPGs are not RPGs :can:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I used to play 2nd edition and I'm like the third stupidest person I know, so if 5th edition is even simpler than that you all have nothing to worry about.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

Like HERO

Hang on, let me break out my graphing calculator to figure out if my flying superhero can make this corner without smashing through the wall like the koolaid man. Oops, came in too fast, now i'm in somebodys kitchen. Should've taken that Enhanced Turning Radius Flight Modifier. Now to roll 14d6 and count it two separate ways to find out how much damage i took from the impact.

... i love hero system...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Try a round of Fiasco, everyone loves Fiasco.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

smh that you nerds have invented so many ways to avoid shame in the one true game: arm wrestling

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

On dnd chat, I had a group of 7 I was in who played together for like 3 and a half years and every week I made dinner (Sunday night was the only one that worked for every one) and charged 10bux a head. Usually I would make it so that the food costs actually ran close to that, and would often do something on my smoker or bbq for the ease of prep. I did make some p ridiculous feasts though, like korean fried chicken and korean style nacho dirty fries

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I love me some Powered by the Apocalypse; if you're really not into math but super into post-punk post-apocalyptic weirdness with super strong characterisation, Apocalypse World is real good.

One of the feats for the Gunlugger character is "NOT TO BE hosed WITH!!", which makes them count as a small gang in combat. Not multiple rolls, they just are so good at fighting that, on their own, they "outnumber" groups of less than 4 people.

I also think it's kinda un-meme-able because it's so enthusiastically genuine about how silly it is.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

McSpergin posted:

On dnd chat, I had a group of 7 I was in who played together for like 3 and a half years and every week I made dinner (Sunday night was the only one that worked for every one) and charged 10bux a head. Usually I would make it so that the food costs actually ran close to that, and would often do something on my smoker or bbq for the ease of prep. I did make some p ridiculous feasts though, like korean fried chicken and korean style nacho dirty fries

That sounds like an amazing time and makes me wish my own group hadn't imploded due to the DM being kind of unpleasant. :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Screaming Idiot posted:

That sounds like an amazing time and makes me wish my own group hadn't imploded due to the DM being kind of unpleasant. :smith:

The hardest and most complicated part of D&D is wrangling the players.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Also making sure the players are, like, not terrible human beings

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Also making sure the players are, like, not terrible human beings

Nothing like "how come you're fine with me murdering people but not with sexual assault?!" to make a session get really lovely really quick

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm in a D&D group that ostensibly plays weekly and in practice plays about once every four months which is the entire D&D experience.

Also the D&D memes are real good, only thing I could like more is if they branched out into Baldur's Gate.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
My god

This page is full of dorks

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Someone call the dorksterminator

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Someone call the dorksterminator

Here I am..now let me roll for initiative

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Gokuweed420 posted:

shut up bitch

You're an rear end in a top hat and it's not even ironically funny. It really does mean a lot to me to hear that the things I've done for other people has made a difference.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

We swapped DM every time we swapped campaign, so we played a few 40k ones and then 3.5e, 5e and pathfinder.

It was good, I worked with a few of them and the rest were their friends

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I got a regular dnd group going with friends and it owns. I DMed a beyond the wall mini campagn and a buddy is now doing a dnd starter campaign. So thanks for the million dnd memes, I've been spamming my group chat for days with em.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
I had to stop playing d&d because my wife hates it. So gently caress you, nerds.

I miss d&d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brewmaster posted:

I had to stop playing d&d because my wife hates it. So gently caress you, nerds.

I miss d&d.

So play without her