Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

FYI for those who live near a Microcenter, they have late-2018 128gb Macbook Airs for $799, which has to be one of the best deals on a new Mac I’ve seen.

edit: Also, if they were that price all the time, Apple would utterly dominate a huge chunk of the laptop market.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IuniusBrutus posted:

FYI for those who live near a Microcenter, they have late-2018 128gb Macbook Airs for $799, which has to be one of the best deals on a new Mac I’ve seen.

edit: Also, if they were that price all the time, Apple would utterly dominate a huge chunk of the laptop market.,

Airs for everyone

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We haven’t talked bags/cases in a while, what are people using?

I have an STM jacket from my 2010 MacBook Pro, which I love but the current design is so much smaller, there’s so much extra room in the bag instead of fitting snuggly. I like having the zippered pouch to keep a cheap pair of headphones in along with a dongle or three.

Wouldn’t mind a recommendation of something that fits better. I have a Booq sleeve for my 2013 15” that is perfect but it doesn’t have any storage pocket.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I’ve used a Tom Bihn backpack since 2012 and it’s held up to everything and looks (mostly) new.

It’s the only bag I’d ever recommend anyone buy (Synapse 19 or 25) at this point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had one of these for years (cargoworks EDC MacBook bag):

It was great for carrying the barest minimum. I couldn't even squeeze in a charger.

I switched to a Timbuk2 Spire when I needed more room and didn't have a small laptop anymore, but still wanted those molle straps.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I’ve used a Tom Bihn backpack since 2012 and it’s held up to everything and looks (mostly) new.

It’s the only bag I’d ever recommend anyone buy (Synapse 19 or 25) at this point.

Had a ristretto 11 for my air since 2012 and it’s held up with zero issues. For a new MacBook switched to the synapse 19 and transferred everything over it’s amazingly compact yet can hold a Costco water bottle in center pocket. It’s the perfect size up from the messenger bag without being bulky.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Penisaurus Sex posted:

They have a modified version coming out in the next month or so called the Synik that's basically the Synapse but has a laptop sleeve built in, softer shoulder padding, and a clamshell design for easier packing.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I have a Synapse 25 and don’t really like it, I think I’m broken.

I have a Filson original briefcase that is the perfect size to hold everything and discourage overpacking, and helps me blend into my hipster town.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was gifted a Filson Briefcase and I'd love it if it didn't weigh so much. I think I hate leather and prefer pure synthetic lightweight cordura.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

That's good to know other people are running into it (at least I'm not alone and I don't need to replace my monitor because I really like it). Monitor doesn't have DVI (just HDMI and DP). I'll see if I can find a HDMI to Displayport nearby, but I'll also try out the Beta... Thank you!

Wanted to follow up here - thanks for the help everyone. I'm running the latest Catalina beta (I figured I wanted to get the jump on all the new Xcode features) and the issue has gone away. That's a pretty bad bug for macOS to have, so makes me feel a lot better about my setup.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

eames posted:

:v:

I do agree that Nvidia support does seem extremely unlikely. AMD is doing alright in the compute department, Intel dGPUs are out next year and Apple's own GPU in the A12 is also extremely impressive for what it is. They could drop an A13/T3 chip into the next MBPs and it'd play most Apple Arcade games at native resolution and 60fps if they wanted to go that route.

I'm really hoping Apple does something interesting with the T3 chip in the next MacBook Pro refresh - T2 video encoding is really cool and I'm not even sure if any other laptop makers are doing anything similar?

A ProMotion display on MacBook Pros would be pretty great too - there are rumors that the 2020 iPhone will have a 120Hz display:https://twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1152928927037308928

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 21, 2019

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Am I the only one that really wants to see a 20"+ iPad?
With sidecar I could finally give Wacom the middle finger.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

By the way, today's 10.14.6 Mojave update:

Apple posted:

- Fixes an issue that may cause fullscreen video to appear black on Mac mini

So if you were one of those peeps who couldn't get their 2018 Mini to speak to their monitor properly, try the update.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also according to an email I got, MicroCenter is selling those 2017 MacBook Airs with 1.8 GHz i5s, 8GB RAM / 128 GB SSDs for $729 now.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Having a hard time searching for this, I'm wondering if anyone's ever heard of it: twice this week my 2018 Macbook Pro has slowed and practically come to a halt, only for me to see too late that the battery is dead or super low. The other day it restarted on its own and gave me a black-screen "Your computer restarted because of a problem" message - when it restarted the battery was at 0%. Today it slowed and got all the way to the point where I couldn't click anything, and I finally noticed that the battery was at 2%. Both times I've unplugged the charging cable at the laptop and plugged it back in, and that's fixed the issue. It's not easy to notice because the computer thinks it's charging, so I get no warning at 5% like I should when the battery is almost dead.

Does this sound like a charger issue, or a usb-c port issue, or is there no way to tell without testing another charger for a few days?

eames
May 9, 2009

Try a SMC reset

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295#t2

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just cause it might matter, what charger are you using?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Awesome, thanks

japtor posted:

Just cause it might matter, what charger are you using?
That's a good question because lately I've bounced around between a few. We had an extra at the office that I grabbed to use at home, and it could be my wife grabbed my charger instead of her own, since they're both usbc. I'll do an inventory and see which one's causing me issues and make sure it's the one meant for this computer.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Next question, because apparently I'm just having all sorts of issues lately: what's the trick to using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard with two computers?

For work I've got a mbp, and at home I plug it into a monitor and use a bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse. It's always worked great. But then a few weeks ago for personal stuff I got a Mac Mini, and it's a real hassle getting it to work. It never wants to find the bt keyboard (Logitech k780) or mouse - a lot of the time I have to wake up my mbp and turn off bluetooth completely before the mini can find anything. And vice versa - once something connects to the mini it's hard (as long as they're near each other) getting the mbp connected back to them. Is this just a thing bluetooth hates to do? Is bluetooth...monogamous?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jackpot posted:

Is bluetooth...monogamous?

Yes.

There are a few devices that aren’t but in general they aren’t cheap. My Bose QC35s will connect to multiple BT sources but it’s rare to find that.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ok then, that's what it was feeling like. I'll just have to figure out a system of manually turning everything off and on in the right order. You'd think as long as I'm not trying to use them on different computers at the same time it should be easy, but apparently not.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jackpot posted:

Ok then, that's what it was feeling like. I'll just have to figure out a system of manually turning everything off and on in the right order. You'd think as long as I'm not trying to use them on different computers at the same time it should be easy, but apparently not.

Logitech has both keyboard and mice that can be paired with up to 3 different devices via a selector switch. They have models of both for around $30-40.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

jackpot posted:

I’ve hated this about Bluetooth since 2003. It’s probably the number one thing holding me back from going wireless for headphones. I have a lot of devices and want to switch between them without bullshit hassle

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I’ve hated this about Bluetooth since 2003. It’s probably the number one thing holding me back from going wireless for headphones. I have a lot of devices and want to switch between them without bullshit hassle

Since this is the Apple thread....

That’s what the w1 chip does. Incredibly handy to switch between every Apple device including my Apple TV. It completely solves the problem.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MarcusSA posted:

That’s what the w1 chip does. Incredibly handy to switch between every Apple device including my Apple TV. It completely solves the problem.

Yeah well, my AirPods make me do the “Bluetooth -> Disable” / “Bluetooth -> Connect” dance to use it with two laptops.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jackpot posted:

Next question, because apparently I'm just having all sorts of issues lately: what's the trick to using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard with two computers?

For work I've got a mbp, and at home I plug it into a monitor and use a bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse. It's always worked great. But then a few weeks ago for personal stuff I got a Mac Mini, and it's a real hassle getting it to work. It never wants to find the bt keyboard (Logitech k780) or mouse - a lot of the time I have to wake up my mbp and turn off bluetooth completely before the mini can find anything. And vice versa - once something connects to the mini it's hard (as long as they're near each other) getting the mbp connected back to them. Is this just a thing bluetooth hates to do? Is bluetooth...monogamous?
So uh, I’m guessing you don’t know this going by your post, but your keyboard supports multiple pairings at least. See those 3 white keys on the upper left? Those are for 3 different devices! I forget exactly how it works, but I think you just hold down one of the buttons to enter pairing mode for that key, or just tap it to connect to that device once set up.

Mouse wise, it’s probably not too hard to set it to pairing mode every time, but might be tricky or at least annoying to connect on the Mac mini...cause you don’t have a mouse built in to go to the Bluetooth menu and hit connect.

MarcusSA posted:

If only they’d use for their drat computer input peripherals :argh:

Data Graham posted:

Yeah well, my AirPods make me do the “Bluetooth -> Disable” / “Bluetooth -> Connect” dance to use it with two laptops.
Are they both Macs? Cause the whole multi device connection magic they do is only with Apple hardware, software dependent too but I forget what OS version is needed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

As japtor mentioned, your keyboard can already be set up to easily switch between up to 3 devices with the push of a button on the keyboard.

Logitech makes a ton of mice that can do the same thing for 2 or 3 devices. Many of them will also transfer files from one computer to another using storage on the mouse, but I don't use that feature since I don't trust it to be locked down. Just don't install Logitech's software it will pair just fine without it.

Here's one that can switch between 2 computers for $30

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Multi-Device-Cross-Computer-Graphite/dp/B072M4YLN6/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

japtor posted:

Are they both Macs? Cause the whole multi device connection magic they do is only with Apple hardware, software dependent too but I forget what OS version is needed.

Both recent-ish MBPs on current OS.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Both recent-ish MBPs on current OS.

should just be able to select the airpods in question from the volume icon in the menu bar, audio settings, or bluetooth settings of the laptop you're currently using without disabling bluetooth at all. although the process isn't as smooth as it is with iOS devices for whatever reason (software stack probably isn't as great on macOS)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

should just be able to select the airpods in question from the volume icon in the menu bar, audio settings, or bluetooth settings of the laptop you're currently using without disabling bluetooth at all. although the process isn't as smooth as it is with iOS devices for whatever reason (software stack probably isn't as great on macOS)

Yeah that’s how it should work and yeah it’s not nearly as smooth as iOS / tvOS.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

japtor posted:

Mouse wise, it’s probably not too hard to set it to pairing mode every time, but might be tricky or at least annoying to connect on the Mac mini...cause you don’t have a mouse built in to go to the Bluetooth menu and hit connect.

CTRL-F8 (and fn if you need it to bypass media keys or whatever) will get you to the menubar items. Might need to press ctrl-f1/turn on the shortcuts in system preferences > keyboard > shortcuts > keyboard

Incidentally, F2 is the menubar itself, F3 is dock

It’s nice that you can more or less navigate OS X by keyboard, but you can tell it took apple ages to allow it by the rather awkward keyboard shortcuts.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zenostein posted:

CTRL-F8 (and fn if you need it to bypass media keys or whatever) will get you to the menubar items. Might need to press ctrl-f1/turn on the shortcuts in system preferences > keyboard > shortcuts > keyboard

Incidentally, F2 is the menubar itself, F3 is dock

It’s nice that you can more or less navigate OS X by keyboard, but you can tell it took apple ages to allow it by the rather awkward keyboard shortcuts.
Yeah I know it’s possible, but hell if I can ever remember how off the bat. Wonder if you could just script something to connect to the mouse or something else you could just call up with Spotlight.

Alternative joke answer, learn to love the trackpad life, just stick with the built in one on the MBP and get a Magic Trackpad for the desktop.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I need to replace the battery on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-Inch, Mid 2015) but I'm having difficulty determining the correct battery for the computer using the serial number. Is there a decent website (not Apple) where I can unequivocally determine the correct replacement battery?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Why not plug the serial number into Apple's website and see if you qualify for a FREE replacement?

https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

If you do then you don't have to worry about which battery to get as Apple will do it for you.

BTW, this will get you a new keyboard and trackpad as the top case assembly is all one piece, including the battery.

eames
May 9, 2009

Some new 16” MBP rumors:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/07/29/16-inch-macbook-pro-price-specs-more/

New rumors make it sound like the body will stay the same as the current 15” but the bezels will shrink to fit a 16” screen with slightly higher resolution. The new machine will also get he new scissor mechanism keyboard.

I think this makes sense, it’s looking more like a major refresh to the current MBP rather than an all new design.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If a 13" analogue appears with the non-butterfly keyboard I am super sold, especially if it launches a while after the bigger version. Hell, I'd buy it even if they don't seize on this chance to finally kill the touch bar.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They'll force the touch bar on people until the bitter end. Steve Job's legacy is absolutely hating the traditional function keys.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Using a brand-new 15" MBP with touch bar which was given to me by work.

Thanks, I hate it

*brushes software Esc key, thinks back to 2nd generation iPod with touch buttons you couldn't orient your fingers on without pressing them, sighs*

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You would have brushed the hardware escape button as well because you're fat and uncoordinated. Stop blaming Apple for all of your life's problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eames posted:

Some new 16” MBP rumors:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/07/29/16-inch-macbook-pro-price-specs-more/

New rumors make it sound like the body will stay the same as the current 15” but the bezels will shrink to fit a 16” screen with slightly higher resolution. The new machine will also get he new scissor mechanism keyboard.

I think this makes sense, it’s looking more like a major refresh to the current MBP rather than an all new design.

That’s how most of the 14” PC laptops are on the market now. Same 13.3” form factor as before but thin bezels that fit a 14” screen.