Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Polsy I wanna cry, I wanna die, I wanna fly (off a building).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I'm glad we could experience this together

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tae finally smiles.

The storm has passed.

She has been scarred and traumatized, but she will heal and move on.

Only to join their loving band.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I couldn't livepost this in a thread so here's a collection.

quote:

!tell Cant Oh God.

quote:

!tell Cant OH loving GOD.

quote:

!tell Cant SHE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ANY loving MUSIC.

quote:

!tell Cant IT'S JUST HER SINGING INTO A MIKE.

quote:

!tell Cant CAN'T HELP.

quote:

!tell Cant HELP.

quote:

!tell Cant I NEED TO PAUSE EVERY FEW SECONDS, I CAN'T loving DO THIS IN ONE TAKE.

quote:

!tell Cant SHE loving STOPPED MID-SONG, WHAT THE loving gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress IS THIS loving poo poo.

quote:

!tell Cant SHE JUST loving WALKED OFF STAGE.

quote:

!tell Cant HEIOUFAYFO&AYEILFAHEIFUAGEHLFIAJEF

quote:

!tell Cant loving CASANETS, SHE GAVE ARISA CASANETS, WHERE DID SHE EVEN loving FIND THE CASANETS.

quote:

!tell CANT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ARISA GOT DRAGGED INTO IT.

quote:

!tell Cant SHE'S SINGING AGAIN LIKE NOTHING HAPPENED.

quote:

!tell Cant gently caress, SHE'S CLAPPING TO TELL ARISA TO USE THE CASANETS, OH MY GOD, WHY.

quote:

!tell Cant I'm banging my head against my chair, I'm so anguished right now.

quote:

!tell Cant NO! loving NO! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! RIMI I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO GET MOVED AND INSPIRED BY THIS TRAVESTY.

quote:

!tell Cant gently caress SHE'S JUST REPEATING THE SAME SONG OH MY GOD WHY WOULD SHE DO THIS loving CHRIST JESUS loving HELL WHY WHY WHY WHAT IN GOD'S loving NAME WOULD INSPIRE HER TO JUST loving START OVER AGAIN SHIOEFLHSIEF gently caress NO NO NO NO EGHOSAPEIHAEUGOLI:AOHFGVAF.

quote:

!tell Arisa ARSIA NO DON'T loving DO IT.

quote:

!tell Cant OH GOD SHE'S TRYING TO GET ARISA TO SING WITH HER JESUS CHRIST WHY.

quote:

!tell Cant OH GOD THE AUDIENCE IS LAUGHING, IT'S LITERALLY MY WORST loving FEAR EVER, GOD loving DAMMIT THIS IS GONNA TRAUMATIZE ME.

quote:

!tell Cant Oh loving Christ Rimi is gonna run out there and sing with them, isn't she, oh gently caress oh Christ oh Jesus oh Buddha oh God kill me now.

quote:

!tell Cant Oh good, Rimi didn't.

quote:

!tell Cant WHERE THE gently caress DID RIMI JUST UP AND PROCURE A GUITAR AND WHY THE gently caress IS EVERYONE ELSE GONE FROM THE BACK CURTAINS, DID THEY HAVE ENOUGH OF THIS TRAVESTY BECAUSE I SURE DID.

quote:

!tell Cant They're just loving, like, talking to one another on stage without a proper plan, they're literally just !telling the entire audience that this is all just a sham, a fraud, a buncha bullshit.

quote:

!tell Cant I wonder what the loving audience must be thinking as this is taking place, Jesus Christ.

quote:

!tell Cant OH MY GOD SHE GOT THE TUNING WRONG gently caress.

quote:

!tell Cant At least they've hit rock bottom, there's no-

quote:

!tell Cant OH MY loving GOD KASUMI JUST STARTED MID-SONG AGAIN, WHY WOULD SHE DO THIS, WHAT THE gently caress GOES IN THAT DEMENTED MIND OF HERS, HOLY poo poo.

quote:

!tell Cant I'm sobbing grossly right now.

quote:

!tell Cant NO. gently caress YOU RAN AND MISAKI AND MOCA YOU 3 WILL NOT START GETTING INTO THE GROOVE, I WON'T ALLOW THIS.

quote:

!tell Cant WHY ARE PEOPLE WALKING BACK INTO THE VENUE INSTEAD OF RUNNING OUT, I DON'T GET IT.

quote:

!tell Cant YOU CAN BARELY HEAR THE GUITAR!

quote:

!tell CANT THEY'RE loving CLAPPING, KASUMI'S PERFORMANCE HAS LITERALLY GIVEN EVERYONE BRAIN DAMAGE TO THE POINT WHERE THEY SOMEHOW ACCEPT THIS.

quote:

!tell Cant My ability to enjoy music is dead.

quote:

!tell CANT OH MY GOD GLITTER GREEN IS PLAYING THE SONG.

quote:

!tell CANT WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS?

quote:

!tell Cant Kasumi is singing better now but my heart is dead and I can't appreciate it.

quote:

!tell Cant OH MY GOD ARE THEY loving USING THIS AS THE ED FOR THE EPISODE? I SWEAR TO GOD IF THEY DO THIS I'M GONNA DIE.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kasumi has weird movements.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bonus:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ah, the secondhand embarrassment.

Still, led to this at an Anikura event DJ’d by friends at the Lumica booth at AX:
http://twitter.com/anisongparty/status/1148057425536151552

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Does this shop only sell star-themed goods.

Also Zep, doesn’t the name of the pawn shop/warehouse literally have something to do with shooting stars? Hence the star theme, but I might be misremembering.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
never before have I had any sympathy for zep, ever, but...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kasumi is the Can't of Bang Dream! Girl's Band Party.

This was before the incident.

Incidentally Chubbs is probs a Yukina or Ran.

Oreos is a Lisa or Hina.

Star Lines is a Sayo.

Polsy is a Chisato or Tomoe.

astro is a Misaki or Maya.

Incidentally I have only ever watched Garupapico, the first 3 episodes of Bandori S1, and the 1st Roselia story.

That is the extent of my Bandori knowledge.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nemesis is Kaoru.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
chubbs is definitely aya

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Still, led to this at an Anikura event DJ’d by friends at the Lumica booth at AX:

Incidentally Zep, you probably know the majority of the people in this vid who are front and center, including the DJ, as they’re all in the Eventer Discord you ran into me on.

For ex, DJ Dekimasen is the guy right in the middle in red with the happi on at the beginning, danielguo is the guy in the green HK shirt with the Kasumi face sign, Crumbs is in there somewhere, as is Dan-chii (pretty sure he’s either the guy in the tiger hat or the guy in the happi with the flame designs), Midnight Aeria is the guy starting the Tiger chant from the front of the crowd when Star Beat spins up in the blue plaid shirt, etc etc.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 27, 2019

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

I regret missing out on this (I think I walked over much later when they were finishing off the BanG Dream songs, depending on what day this was)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

KariOhki posted:

I regret missing out on this (I think I walked over much later when they were finishing off the BanG Dream songs, depending on what day this was)

Pretty sure this was either Sat or Sun, I forget. And yeah, the Lumica booth is always a good time at cons. I’ve only been to the one they didn’t at AnimeNYC, and only when I wasn’t on shift, but I live vicariously through their Twitter videos and also their NY events, both of which I’ve been to. Also, I see them on the regular at NY DV events and such, plus whichever other cons I go to, as well as Discord.

Wish I could go to more, but $$$, I guess. They’re at Otakon right now too.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
oh man, I know midnight aeria from FT

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

graybook posted:

oh man, I know midnight aeria from FT

FT?

And yeah, he’s a good dude. He streamed the wotagei panel from Otakon last night on Twitch that was DJed by people from Aniparty, and I see him all the time at Aniparty events and DVs. Likes to break out a parasol covered in UOs for when Maware is spun up, and is great at the wota when he isn’t dekimasening, which we love to make fun of him for.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

when Maware is spun up

:golfclap:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Inadvertent pun, but it worked so I kept it! Love the double shot of Maware followed by Hamtaro, unfortunately neither was played last night.

He did get lifted during Snow Hala though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
TIME TO WATCH EPISODE 4.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay I know I said no liveposting but what the gently caress is the point of this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, now that I'm done with episode 4, time to talk about episode 3 and 4 while the ED plays.

Episode 3

The episode starts off cute and okay and then does a loving 540 swerve (that's a full circle and then 180 degrees on top of that) into why the gently caress would you do this to me.

Rimi's reasoning for not wanting to join the band is incredibly easy to understand for viewers, since stage fright is a very real thing and even if you're not a major shybaby like Rimi, it still requires a good amount of courage and determination to put yourself out there at the mercy of your audience. So the barebones outline of the episode itself isn't a bad idea; Glitter Green being delayed because they just happened to go on a school trip and it just so happened to storm before they were set to get back is a bit contrived, but it's within the realm of possibility, and Rimi being motivated by the sight of Kasumi mustering up the courage to perform and buy time in desperation for Rimi's beloved sister is very believable. Sure, it's a bit generic, but I watch MCU movies, basic doesn't bother me as long as I enjoy the execution.

Sadly, Bang Dream's execution killed me, and now in a good way.

I remember making fun of Can't's dislike for the song and jokingly threatening to use it as an alarm clock when I stayed over at his hotel in AX for a night; I now know that I was a petulant child who knew nothing of true terrors, and that I was but an fool bolstered by the blissful bravado bestowed upon me by my own ignorance. I'm sorry Can't. I hope you can forgive me.

Anyways I don't think I need to go on about how much I hated that loving segment when my DIscord posts tell the full tale so I'll leave it at that.

Worst episode in the history of mankind, -10000000000000000000000000/100, I want to cry.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 4

Oh hey, look, it's an actual good episode!

This episode is a neat mix of drama and humor and friendship building sweetness.

Kasumi-Tae Friendship: The episode highlights that Kasumi and Tae are sorta alike, though Tae trades Kasumi's hyperactive enthusiasm for a single track mind for stuff she's interested in with a dash of out-of-it-ness. The scene where the two (idiotically) convince themselves that there's a loving bug as a result of Kasumi being surprised by Tae is the funniest scene in the anime so far because Kasumi just takes Tae's question for truth and then Tae immediately buys into it as well. It's so deliciously dumb and adorable. Tae taking up the mentor position and getting to share her passion with someone while Kasumi finally gets to learn how to play the guitar is nice. Tae herself is really sorta, like, out there. Like wondering if Kasumi drinks and does drugs and then when asked the same question, she goes, no, I'm a minor, why would I do that but KASUMI IS THE SAME AGE AS YOU, YOU KNOW????? Anyways given that we didn't really get too much into Kasumi's relationship with Rimi last episode (since it's just Kasumi inspiring Rimi with the dumbest performance in existence), it's nice to get a more fleshed-out development a la Kasumi's relationship with Arisa. This leads into the drama portion of the episode with...

Kasumi-Arisa Fallout: At first I was wondering if the episode was just gonna keep playing off Arisa's feelings as humorous jealousy but I'm glad it didn't and went into how Arisa's feelings were legitimately hurt by Kasumi unintentionally blowing her off repeatedly, especially after she made the plunge to buy a keyboard (after selling off her beloved bonsai!) to help Kasumi fulfill her dream. Of course, it's a communication misfire from both sides; Kasumi's dense and has no tact, leading to her being unable to pick up cues from Arisa herself and Rimi who, bless her heart, does everything to nudge Kasumi in the right direction to no avail, while Arisa's unwillingness to be honest with herself and Kasumi results in her just being super passive aggressive (her reactions to Kasumi talking about Tae get increasingly annoyed, she stops partaking in conversations during lunch, and she begins to sit apart from the group) without offering Kasumi any proper explanation. The Kasumi-Arisa relationship continues to be the best part of the series, since the anime gives you so many little cues about how the two are growing apart.

Like I noted before, Arisa moves away from the group, and more importantly, she's sitting next to Rimi instead of Kasumi. Moreover, even the way she sits implies (to me) a grumpier and more aggressive attitude (Kasumi's also sitting like that but that's more because of the guitar she's holding). It's neat.

Rimi the Unsung Hero: Poor Rimi does her best to deal with the idiot couple and suffers in abject anxiety as a result. She literally does everything except banging their heads together and telling them to loving talk it out. Poor Rimi. You did your best with what you were given.

Kira Kira Hikaru: The loving songs plays like a bajillion times this episode, why? Why? Why????

Anyways this is a very good episode, gently caress you episode 3, when am I ever gonna be free from that song?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I believe you that there's good poo poo in ep 4, but I'm afraid I have no clue what it might be. 3 is just so incredibly bad that its echos would have drowned out anything decent in 4 even without them literally putting TTLS in 4 as well. I struggled to pay attention to the whole rest of the season, really, and I recall little of it. No other show has ever given me as hard of whiplash as from the good of eps 1-2 to the horrible of 3, and it just killed the whole season for me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You have to learn to power through the trauma.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still love this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fez3rC4cVR8

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 5

A very medium-ish episode, I suppose.

I really don't care for Space or the old lady running it, and I hope they don't exist in S2 or are phased out for the vastly superior Circle, I dunno why I had to listen to that dumbass backstory and I don't look forward to them being brought up even more in the plot as the season progresses.

Tae makes a good point about the unlikeliness of Kasumi performing at Space, given that she can barely play the guitar and how many girl bands are scrambling for the chance to perform themselves. It's a lot more realistic (as long as you accept that there are like a billion girl bands in the town / city / whatever, which is a prerequisite for stories like this or Love Live) than the Love Live series where one training montage later, you got girls capable of putting on masterpiece performances that affect reality itself. So it makes a lot of sense that their first performance isn't some grand thing planned to be in front of a major audience but rather a small gathering of people they know. On the other hand, the song wasn't my style so I wasn't really into it.

Episode 4 leaned heavily on the Kasumi-Tae kinship, which continues to some extent (even pointed out in-story with their guitar cases tearing nigh-simultaneously) but it also does a decent job of bringing Tae into the fold of the future PoPiPa. Also she hugged Sayo so now I'm shipping Tae x Sayo until S2, where I can ship her with that RAS singer's character.

Despite her timidness, Rimi's actually quite the go-getter, she's the one constantly trying to resolve the issue in episode 4 and she's the one who manages to keep Kasumi and Arisa from getting sidetracked by proposing her own song, which takes guts. Rimi's a good egg. A good choco coronet.

On the other hand, the circumstances behind the live were really wonky???? Like, the entire reason the performance was being held was so the trio could perform a song that could move Tae. But then they add Tae to the band???? What is this, Awaken the P- gently caress YOU OREOS. And then Kasumi's sister's comment had me even more confused because when was this supposed to be a competition???????? I thought it was just them moving Tae with their music to prove that they could. I mean I get that the thing that moved Tae wasn't the music in of itself but rather the experience of performing with friends, but even so, it could have been executed better!!!!! Which is the same flaw the third episode had, only not as terribad as, well, Kira Kira Hikaru.

Also can this loving anime drop that song already.

Verdict: My heart didn't pound.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Also she hugged Sayo so now I'm shipping Tae x Sayo until S2, where I can ship her with that RAS singer's character.

I'm nipping this 'Zep can't distinguish similar names' in the bud.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

It's a lot more realistic (as long as you accept that there are like a billion girl bands in the town / city / whatever, which is a prerequisite for stories like this or Love Live)

They’re in Tokyo, so yeah, there’s bound to be a bunch of girl bands in the area.

And Polsy already called you on it, but it’s Saaya, not Sayo. The latter is the guitarist for Roselia and won’t actually have a role until season 2 if you don’t count the cameo or the OVA

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 30, 2019

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zep is never wrong.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zep is also a super Roselia stan, to the point where he's going to see them this weekend!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Zep is also a super Roselia stan, to the point where he's going to see them this weekend!

Is that this weekend? I hate that NA is no longer getting Bandori DVs

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Yup, Flamme/Wasser is this weekend. It's projected to be very hot and rainy, just like the title! Then their next live is the two-man live Rausch and/und Craziness with RAISE A SUILEN at the end of November.

I also miss Bandori DVs, even though my location had maybe 25 people come out for Roselia (and half that for Popipa).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

KariOhki posted:

Yup, Flamme/Wasser is this weekend. It's projected to be very hot and rainy, just like the title! Then their next live is the two-man live Rausch and/und Craziness with RAISE A SUILEN at the end of November.

I also miss Bandori DVs, even though my location had maybe 25 people come out for Roselia (and half that for Popipa).

NY had decent amounts, maybe a hundred or more at a glance (or maybe less, it’s hard to tell in that massive theater we usually get at Village East), but nothing like what came out for Love Live DVs. Still had fun though, and there were decent amounts of UOs burned and PoPiPa nesos spotted.

Also, 2 DVs at $30 each on consecutive weekends drained away much of the younger crowd that wasn’t quite flush and relying on parents’ money. One of the last DVs falling on Katsucon weekend probably had something to do with the lesser numbers too.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 31, 2019

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
limited chika :toot:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Limited die.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

NY had decent amounts, maybe a hundred or more at a glance (or maybe less, it’s hard to tell in that massive theater we usually get at Village East), but nothing like what came out for Love Live DVs. Still had fun though, and there were decent amounts of UOs burned and PoPiPa nesos spotted.

Also, 2 DVs at $30 each on consecutive weekends drained away much of the younger crowd that wasn’t quite flush and relying on parents’ money. One of the last DVs falling on Katsucon weekend probably had something to do with the lesser numbers too.

Yeah, the two weekends in a row thing really hurt the showings for the DVs. I'd have gone to both if it weren't a 3 hour drive away, but I'd only do that two weekends in a row for Aqours.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

GhostStalker posted:

tbh I skipped part of katsu so I could popipa
and meet bees!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

graybook posted:

tbh I skipped part of katsu so I could popipa
and meet bees!

Bunch of NY friends who were down there did the same. Led to that particular DV being somewhat less yakkai than NY ones usually get, but made it all the more noticeable when people did Tiger or wota, not swallowed up in a crowd of any sort because of less people there.

NY DVs tend to get pretty wild (during the last Aqours DV, a group of my friends broke out a UO umbrella during Marine Border Parasol, threw balloons and paper airplanes and blew bubbles during Next Sparkling, among other things, At the one before that, the same group brought a life sized cutout of Furinrin complete with happi and No. 10 foam finger. We def have a Tiger pit for a reason and people burn through UOs like crazy), and most of us are used to it by now, although there’s always the stodgy with some complaints (someone Tiger’d too loudly, etc).

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why are we back to this poo poo again???