Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Diet Crack posted:

Nigel Ratbastard Fuckwad has a better ring to it.

🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Junior G-man posted:

Let us be the judge of that :maga:

My condolences to anyone picturing mike gapes nudes atm except mike gapes

floofyscorp posted:

If you pronounce it Shawn Bawn it means 'White Sean/John' so it's even more confusing.

At least it works with nominative determinism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

floofyscorp posted:

If you pronounce it Shawn Bawn it means 'White Sean/John' so it's even more confusing.
He is lighter than other Seans like Sean Paul and other Whites like Barry White so it works. Shawn Bawn it is.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Sanitary Naptime posted:

My condolences to anyone picturing mike gapes nudes atm except mike gapes

mr peeker, you have the nudes that are taken from phones in the north, and nudes that are taken from phones in the south, mixed together in the same intelligence agency, and come out, as BLACKMAIL

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

But so is basically anyone with over a certain amount of cash and while by definition that means they're guilty of *something*, there's no particular evidence they ever visited his island or anything like that.

The "Famous Prime Minister" rumour is *allegedly* about the CDs in Epstein's safe, marked with titles like "Young [girl's name] + [man's name]":

https://twitter.com/thelastrefuge2/status/1148314379416477701

(Page 9 of this document if you want the original, which doesn't go as far as the above, but like I say this is the rumour)

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Gonzo McFee posted:

All I've heard is "A famous Prime Minister". The guess is ether Blair or Ehud Barak.

I've been listening to the TrueAnon Podcast, and they're saying Blair's name was in the book. My brain is legitimately melting from the scale of this poo poo tbh. I know I shouldn't be surprised that a Brit with power (probably) raped children on a private island owned by a dodgy american billionaire but still, it's unraveling my mind.

That said, I hope it was Blair. Imagine - he glides through Chilcot and then BAM pedophisles'd.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Imagine - he glides through Chilcot and then BAM no action taken despite everyone knowing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saith posted:

I've been listening to the TrueAnon Podcast, and they're saying Blair's name was in the book. My brain is legitimately melting from the scale of this poo poo tbh. I know I shouldn't be surprised that a Brit with power (probably) raped children on a private island owned by a dodgy american billionaire but still, it's unraveling my mind.

That said, I hope it was Blair. Imagine - he glides through Chilcot and then BAM pedophisles'd.

The contents of the black book are in the public domain so there's no need for hedging over naming someone who's in it. However there are the CDs I already mentioned, and also the names supplied by Epstein's former butler, which very much aren't known to the public but which are in sealed court documents to which a lot of people have access, and it's these that all the rumours are about.

(It is also worth noting that of course a lot of people might be playing up the contents of the book for clicks by pretending to hedge)

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

winegums posted:

Mapping at a city level (Newcastle) to identify areas with high incidence of disease. I might end up using LSOAs anyway, especially if there's a confidentiality issue with using the postcodes.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wga5A6R9BJg

did you see the code i posted, you can swap out the shape file and anonymize the postcodee into a kernel density estimation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/st...ingawful.com%2F

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm glad that people like the question I asked last evening.

Those replies are really interesting and have given me a lot to think about. So I probably won't be posting much after today for a little bit.

However I did have one last question for everyone to think about, and if any advice is possible let me know. Actually it's more like 2:

1) How do people stop being dependent on others for their sense of self/understanding of the self? I am very much stuck in a far to Hegelian set up where I assume that everyone is smarter than me and as such possesses a greater understanding of the world. Therefore I keep becoming very dependent upon others and I would like to stop that.

2) How would you most like to be percieved by others? As in, if you got the choice and people could see you as anything, what would you wish for?

I've been thinking about the latter for a while and have come up with the belief that I really want to be "The dad friend". Consistently out of my depth when it comes to certain things, new stuff and tech. But kind, able to fix mechanical stuff and stoic in the face of disaster. Someone who can be relied upon to be helpful. I am not anywhere near that yet, but it would be something I would like to become.

Lots of love to you all
Yours
Josef.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

CGI Stardust posted:

mr peeker, you have the nudes that are taken from phones in the north, and nudes that are taken from phones in the south, mixed together in the same intelligence agency, and come out, as BLACKMAIL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzAuXuxD0Oo

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So is the name of basically everyone he's ever met. It's just getting played up for clicks just now. We're going to be in a drip feed of 'You'll never guess who else was in Epstiens book!' for the next year.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Josef bugman posted:

Those replies are really interesting and have given me a lot to think about. So I probably won't be posting much after today for a little bit.

However I did have one last question for everyone to think about, and if any advice is possible let me know. Actually it's more like 2:

1) How do people stop being dependent on others for their sense of self/understanding of the self? I am very much stuck in a far to Hegelian set up where I assume that everyone is smarter than me and as such possesses a greater understanding of the world. Therefore I keep becoming very dependent upon others and I would like to stop that.

2) How would you most like to be percieved by others? As in, if you got the choice and people could see you as anything, what would you wish for?

I've been thinking about the latter for a while and have come up with the belief that I really want to be "The dad friend". Consistently out of my depth when it comes to certain things, new stuff and tech. But kind, able to fix mechanical stuff and stoic in the face of disaster. Someone who can be relied upon to be helpful. I am not anywhere near that yet, but it would be something I would like to become.

Lots of love to you all
Yours
Josef.

that's getting pretty philosophical. one school of thought is that only by being percieved, and reflected, by others do we actually attain existence. this can be good (finding new ways to be yourself) or bad (satre's no exit, where hell has no mirrors, only other people - but they're people you don't like).
you might not be able to eschew others for reflection, but you could try and focus on how you interpret the reflection you receive? what makes you so sure they're 'better'? if you;'re unsure of yourself, they're probably too. i personally feel like garbage near-constantly, and i have great healthcare, a partner who is attracted to me and likes me, and good education. there's just a small part of my brain that goes to increasing lengths to try and convince me that it's all fake and i don't deserve it because...
idk. because if i did i'd be responsible. I'd have to live one of the best lives i can imagine vicariously, i'd have to do the best job i could to make sure i do all i can, for myself and others. because someone else didn't get the chance to live this great life, by virtue of me being in it. so i gotta do my best for it, even if i'm worried i'm doing it wrong.

i guess this went somewhere personal. i hope you find your answer, josef. i'm still working on mine. but that's okay.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Good, eat eachother you fucks

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I'm invoking the Jimmy Savile rule. Blair is a pedo because of course he is

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really I'm not sure why everyone famous isn't a paedophile..?

Like, this is the UK we live in.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You’re just a rat, not a ratbastard, don’t take offence 😙

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Blair is a born again Catholic he absolutely fucks kids

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Lots of love to you all
Yours
Josef.
1) There's a Zulu saying, umuntu ungumuntu ngabantu (or umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu in some parts), which means "a person is a person through/because of (other) people", you are who you are because of how you relate to and interact with others around you. Like the reason we're having this conversation in English and not in Zulu is because of the people each of us has been around growing up. Our speech, our internal monolog, our worldview, each of these is influenced by the inputs we have received from others. Goffman likens these interactions to acting on a stage in The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life, but who taught us to act, who wrote the script? We are who we are through others.

Modern life has tried to atomize this, to cast us as rational individuals forging our own path, with the obvious effects that when we fail at being Randian Supermen (because Rand wrote poo poo Supermen) sometimes we feel everyone else must be smarter than us, and even when we succeed sometimes we feel like frauds. But in isolation you don't get any greater understanding of the self, only navel gazing, any understanding of the self has to be through its interaction with others.

2) I don't know, that's a good question. I think I can answer better what I wouldn't like to be seen as rather than what I would.

OwlFancier posted:

Like, this is the UK we live in.
Like so, I wouldn't want to be seen as a nonce. Thus I don't seek fame in the UK or molest children (in or out of the UK).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Sounds like you've contracted pedo-brain

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gum posted:

I'm invoking the Jimmy Savile rule. Blair is a pedo because of course he is

Princess Di, Nonce of our Hearts

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Josef bugman posted:

Lots of love to you all
Yours
Josef.
(because I can never resist a numbered list of questions)

1: IDK, I'm working on that. I think it's something my new therapist was trying to get at in our first session, I'll find out in the next one. I think I come at it from a different angle though, where I am always painfully aware of just how interconnected my existence is with everything and everyone else, so I don't really feel much of a sense of individualism so much as being part of a greater whole in a way I struggle to distinguish my internal self from. IYSWIM.

2: Creative, helpful, harmless, I think. I want to be seen as creative, because creativity is a huge part of how I (want to) interact with the world, and I want people to see it. Helpful, because I have always wanted to be helpful. Harmless, because I'm a big, looming, deep voiced, loud guy with a somewhat short temper, and I never, ever want that to mean people are threatened by me. That's pretty much the worst thing anyone could think of me. I guess dad friend kind of fits that archetype.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Josef bugman posted:

1) How do people stop being dependent on others for their sense of self/understanding of the self?

Embrace ego death :v:

Josef bugman posted:

Themselves. In fact I wish everyone would see more of themselves in other people, I believe this is key to both compassion/empathy and to self-reflection/self-improvement (looking at awful people and going "oh no that could easily be me, I better fix my poo poo").

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

Princess Di, Nonce of our Hearts

Noncess Di.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sounds like you've contracted pedo-brain

Like, the part of pizzagate that's unbelievable is that people sending emails about pizza are coded language for eating children in a basement, not that the rich are all nonces.

Our government literally sources most of its senior people from a school where they all molest each other for fun. If you tried to build a nonceocracy you'd be hard pressed to do a better job?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

Noncess Di.

Princess PIE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

1) There's a Zulu saying, umuntu ungumuntu ngabantu (or umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu in some parts), which means "a person is a person through/because of (other) people", you are who you are because of how you relate to and interact with others around you. Like the reason we're having this conversation in English and not in Zulu is because of the people each of us has been around growing up. Our speech, our internal monolog, our worldview, each of these is influenced by the inputs we have received from others. Goffman likens these interactions to acting on a stage in The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life, but who taught us to act, who wrote the script? We are who we are through others.

Modern life has tried to atomize this, to cast us as rational individuals forging our own path, with the obvious effects that when we fail at being Randian Supermen (because Rand wrote poo poo Supermen) sometimes we feel everyone else must be smarter than us, and even when we succeed sometimes we feel like frauds. But in isolation you don't get any greater understanding of the self, only navel gazing, any understanding of the self has to be through its interaction with others.

This I agree with, people are defined by other people. If there was nobody in the world but you, you would have no concept of self, because there would be nothing to define it in contrast with. The self is the part that isn't everyone else, but is like everyone else.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Josef bugman posted:

1) best way is to not depend on anyone but yourself. The only person I trust in this world to give me sound advice and understanding is my own mother, because other than myself, she’s the only one that knows me well enough to give me any relevant understanding.

I find that self inflection and reading/watching very deep and constructed items is the best way to understand myself and how I fit in this world. It’s not to say that you should try and fit into a subscribed position, but rather to question where you want to fit in it. Only the individual can truly understand their own self, and it takes a lot of questioning the self to get there.

2) I don’t care how I’m perceived by others for the most part. I’m a solitary and self dependant individual, and work/process/function better on my own in most cases. In my time on this earth it has become abundantly clear that I will never please everyone, and not everyone will intrinsically like me based on my personality or whatever. I only care about how I affect those that I love or are very close to me.

Call it an overly realistic view, but trying to achieve a perception isn’t being yourself, and that opens up a huge can of worms of a self identity crisis. Just be yourself, even if people don’t like it. If it severely impacts your ability to do something, then maybe consider changing something.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

1) How do people stop being dependent on others for their sense of self/understanding of the self?

2) How would you most like to be percieved by others?

1 is kind of dependent on the answer to 2 really. Once you've sorted out how you want to be seen, you can then narrow the field of who you listen to and who you politely ignore, based on how much they relate to your answer to 2.

In that case my answers are generally (2) Not at all and (1) by avoiding them. It's not an ideal solution for most people but after years of feeling guilty for not being sociable out of a fear of being alone, I have decided to embrace it. I like my own company.

I have spent many years labouring under my mother's impressioned fear of what 'other people will think,' and am finding now that I have successfully stopped both giving a poo poo and giving my time to people who harm or stall me being who I want to be.

This was not an easy process, by any means.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe modern life has utterly atomized this because it seems everyone around me is utterly devoid of introspection or a desire to speak of deeper topics than their latest CrossFit workout. Or maybe it's because most of the people I know are engineers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"everyone I know is an airheaded idiot" could also suggest that they just don't want to be open with you, rather than that they lack complex internal thoughts.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

"everyone I know is an airheaded idiot" could also suggest that they just don't want to be open with you, rather than that they lack complex internal thoughts.

I just don't understand why.

*Spends entire lunch break staring at phone*

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Josef bugman posted:

You don't, really. Humans are inherently sociable animals, even for people who don't really like most people (moi, j'ai accuse), there are still drives for recognition/attention/validation from others- especially people that they might like/appreciate the worldview of. It's not a bad thing. It's not a good thing. It's just a thing- and something best observed in life, rather than through the eyes of someone elses philosophy. Especially mine.

You talk about wanting to help others lots, do you see them as being dependent on you? It seems more that you want to help because some people just have it in them naturally to try and help and be friendly- there are other people that want that too. Human needs and desires aren't a dependency unless you consider oxygen and food and warmth and shelter dependencies too. Modern society sucks at dealing with it- civilization far outpaced our social development.

Josef bugman posted:

That episode of the simpsons where homer is like 100 feet tall and encrusted in gold and jewels, only it's me. And I'm totally ripped. And shirtless. And my accent doesn't wander. And I walk round solving climate change and rescuing kittens and puppies from bad fowk.

Josef bugman posted:

Lots of love to you all
Yours
Josef.

It's a good goal and you are already closer than you think- just keep doing the things you want to work on and the validation can come from within you and those around you

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

This I agree with, people are defined by other people. If there was nobody in the world but you, you would have no concept of self, because there would be nothing to define it in contrast with. The self is the part that isn't everyone else, but is like everyone else.
One of the books I was heavily advised to read was A Field Guide to Earthlings, which heavily leans on this as an underpinning function of neurotypical people. It's a very dense book, starting with signifier & signified, and going through some deep and weird areas of psychology and sociology.

Most people operate around a web of linked meanings, which is both created and reinforced by the people around them. Our concepts of truth come from people we have learned to trust, and our concepts of social norms come from people we see being treated as normal.

So in a very real sense we are the people around us. We understand things only in terms of how we can connect it to our webs, how we can explain it to others, and how they respond to our attempts to explain it. Socialising becomes a way of bringing our webs into alignment.

E: What's really interesting is when the webs aren't in alignment, you can get people accusing each other of lying because the new info doesn't fit their narrative. For example that Corbyn can't really be backing a second vote because he is a secret remainer, etc.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 31, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The fact that we've all been effectively individualized does make it seem a bit that way to some people.

(Also the goatkcd version.)

The problem is, conditioned like this, nobody wants to be the first one to open up in case it's actually true (it isn't) or they get shot down (more likely). So it's something that needs a collective response.

In Lynne Segal's Radical Happiness (Moments of Collective Joy) she states that sometimes just getting involved with groups that share the same goals can provide more insight and improvement to the human condition than any amount of inward focusing mindfulness, regardless of whether the group succeeds.

e: Although, typing it out like that, you could summarize half the book as "doing stuff with friends is good, doing meaningful stuff with friends is great."

e2: Also, repeat ad infinitum

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 31, 2019

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Josef bugman posted:

I'm suspicious of people who say all dependencies are bad. They sound like libertarians.
We all have needs and as good socialists we collectively provide for others.

quote:

The kind of person that just having them around makes you feel better.
I think I'm doing well at that.
One friend has described me as having a gentleness to me that they admire and want to emulate.
Another I've mentioned before has said I have a calming and comforting presence, which helps with their agoraphobia and anxiety when they go out.
I'm also apparently trusted to be a good listener, to the point friends have told me some pretty grim stuff that they've told barely anyone else.

Basically everyone's best friend I guess.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

DesperateDan posted:

(moi, j'ai accuse),

Uhh maybe my French isn't great but what is that supposed to be?

Besides a part of BoJo's diplomatic email to the EU, of course.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The fact that we've all been effectively individualized does make it seem a bit that way to some people.

(Also the goatkcd version.)

The problem is, conditioned like this, nobody wants to be the first one to open up in case it's actually true (it isn't) or they get shot down (more likely). So it's something that needs a collective response.

In Lynne Segal's Radical Happiness (Moments of Collective Joy) she states that sometimes just getting involved with groups that share the same goals can provide more insight and improvement to the human condition than any amount of inward focusing mindfulness, regardless of whether the group succeeds.

e: Although, typing it out like that, you could summarize half the book as "doing stuff with friends is good, doing meaningful stuff with friends is great."

e2: Also, repeat ad infinitum

Relatedly this is why I advocate vulnerability as a method of building trust. Especially if you can cultivate areas of yourself that you don't mind getting burned occasionally though honestly I don't think I ever have been, people are generally much nicer than you might think.

But being willing to make the first move and share something that makes you even superficially vulnerable is key, I think, to building other people's trust in you. Obviously you don't want to go overboard cos there is such a thing as too much information but like, expecting everyone else to always make the first move or waiting for it to happen on accident is by far the silliest way to go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Uhh maybe my French isn't great but what is that supposed to be?

Besides a part of BoJo's diplomatic email to the EU, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF2KwYLEmro