Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Dang, missed it by five minutes. I planned on winning too, drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry folks busy enjoy good weather

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
For people who check this thread instead of Discord (god why): Gooncar in 10 minutes

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am pouring sparkling apple juice all over myself to celebrate a totally undeserved P2 finish.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

I am pouring sparkling apple juice all over myself to celebrate a totally undeserved P2 finish.

thought i clicked on the f1 thread by accident

lol i just heard about the 300 incident limit overflowing to 44 for 24hrs of spa. the iracing code base must be p lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo. How were they using one byte to store incidents?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

It’s ridiculous. Almost everyone ended up DQed and it couldn’t be fixed for subsequent races so they removed the limit entirely with predictable consequences

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because iracing is very literally a fork of a Nascar game from (I believe) 2003.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I thought it was NASCAR 2004?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mr. Powers posted:

I thought it was NASCAR 2004?

NR 2003 was the last Nascar game (and I think the last game total) Papyrus made, after that it was EA.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

:lol:

Wow. Running iRacing on 8-bit servers? :cheeky:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because iracing is very literally a fork of a Nascar game from (I believe) 2003.

Which itself goes back to Grand Prix Legends (98)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

spaceblancmange posted:

Which can be reasonably said to have ultimately been the game that killed the company, since it didn't sell and made Sierra super shaky about touching Papyrus stuff up until their death. Not entirely unlike Richard Burns Rally.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Cojawfee posted:

Just the disqualification limit. Teams have long been able to rack up 1k plus incident counts at the 24 hours of Spa.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

njsykora posted:

Which can be reasonably said to have ultimately been the game that killed the company, since it didn't sell and made Sierra super shaky about touching Papyrus stuff up until their death. Not entirely unlike Richard Burns Rally.

Which is a tragedy because grand prix legends was IMO the best racing game ever made and I would sell my left nut to have an updated version of the 65-72 gp seasons on classic tracks with classic cars, full fidelity physics and mechanical breakdowns etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spaceblancmange posted:

Happy 21st birthday, some (probably lots) parts of iracing!!!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It's definitely frustrating that no matter what I do I can't seem to get iRacing to stop stuttering periodically while I can run newer racing games with almost all of the bells and whistles on at 4K smoothly. It doesn't feel like the render engine is at all optimized for newer hardware, so this doesn't really surprise me at all.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

TremorX posted:

It's definitely frustrating that no matter what I do I can't seem to get iRacing to stop stuttering periodically while I can run newer racing games with almost all of the bells and whistles on at 4K smoothly. It doesn't feel like the render engine is at all optimized for newer hardware, so this doesn't really surprise me at all.

same but at the lowest settings in VR and some decent hardware to boot

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Turn off crowds, events, and stands. That helped me a lot. Mirrors are apparently performance killers, too, but I'm not 100% on that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

njsykora posted:

I loved GPL but holy poo poo they released a game that basically no computers on the market could play reliably, with default setups on the cars that were nearly undrivable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rated PG-34 posted:

same but at the lowest settings in VR and some decent hardware to boot

I have a 1080ti and a Ryzen 2600x and randomly during races, maybe once an hour, iracing in VR will just completely poo poo itself and run at like 40fps for like 30 seconds and then be fine again.

It’s janky, but it’s also the best thing going for racing real people.

The thing that keeps blowing my mind is other sims have plenty of chances to just straight up copy iracing for multiplayer and they just pass on it. I was hopeful about ACC and then they were like “nope, p2p lol have fun”

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I've got a 2700X and a 2070, so there's really no excuse. Even with stands and crowds turned off, it'll still periodically just stutter. It's not huge, just enough to be noticeable for a couple of seconds. 1080, 2K or 4K all behave more or less the same way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've been able to get consistently silky smooth performance in 2D, but in VR I've always had problems and had to have everything on BARE MINIMUM and even then, if I'm racing other people depending upon the track and number of cars, it may not feel very great once I'm halfway through the race.

So I went and bought a stupid expensive video card just so I could race in VR all I want, and its only marginally better.

But as you say, its the best we're gonna get, so ah well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
iRacing runs on one core, and is heavily dependent on single core performance. You can turn on more meters in the options menu. I suggest turning on the render statistics and then click the use numbers checkbox. The R number is your CPU render, and G is your GPU render. I think it's the number of ms it takes each thing to render the frame. You probably want them to be around 10 or below. If the R is high, turn down the number of track objects and turn off crowds. If your G is high, you have to turn down high details and shadows and AA and whatnot.

Carth Dookie posted:

Which is a tragedy because grand prix legends was IMO the best racing game ever made and I would sell my left nut to have an updated version of the 65-72 gp seasons on classic tracks with classic cars, full fidelity physics and mechanical breakdowns etc.

I desperately want a game with decent AI. I keep meaning to do iracing races, but whenever I actually feel like doing it, a race has already started and it's too long until the next one.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
iRacing also doesn't properly offload everything to the GPU either so graphics settings will have a greater than expected impact on the CPU bottleneck. You can pretty much only run it on max settings on the very latest Intel chips, and AMD is worse because they focus on multi thread performance at the cost of single.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

iRacing runs on one core, and is heavily dependent on single core performance. You can turn on more meters in the options menu. I suggest turning on the render statistics and then click the use numbers checkbox. The R number is your CPU render, and G is your GPU render. I think it's the number of ms it takes each thing to render the frame. You probably want them to be around 10 or below. If the R is high, turn down the number of track objects and turn off crowds. If your G is high, you have to turn down high details and shadows and AA and whatnot.

I desperately want a game with decent AI. I keep meaning to do iracing races, but whenever I actually feel like doing it, a race has already started and it's too long until the next one.

Yeah they keep saying AI is coming soon (tm). I got a sub for 2019 based on that., I'm not going to resub till I see it, I don't have the time I use to.. I have 1-2 evenings a week and in the summer it's less so I'm racing not very often due to start times./

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel ya, I stick to only the races that start frequently, Mazda, Skips, Ferrari GT3 and F3 Fun.

How anyone makes the races that only run once a day are beyond me. I still have a hard time making the frequent ones

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Which series only run once a day? Even the least frequent are like, every 2hrs aren't they?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Vando posted:

Which series only run once a day? Even the least frequent are like, every 2hrs aren't they?

There's a bunch of 'SoF' series where nobody shows up except for that one timeslot at 1am on a weekday and those that do will furiously argue that it's just fine and not at all a sign of a dead car/series.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roller Coast Guard posted:

There's a bunch of 'SoF' series where nobody shows up except for that one timeslot at 1am on a weekday and those that do will furiously argue that it's just fine and not at all a sign of a dead car/series.

Yeah, the race "runs" every X hours but it only goes official if enough cars show, and for some series that's seriously in the range of only 1-4x per week.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Mr. Powers posted:

Turn off crowds, events, and stands. That helped me a lot. Mirrors are apparently performance killers, too, but I'm not 100% on that.

Shadow filters will also murder your frame rate. The default one ( I forget what it's called), can be reduced to simple or none and that helps immensely at the slight cost of some shadows looking a little pixelier.

<---- AMD FX-8350 with an RX-580, running 1080 triples at low to med graphics*. I get about 60-65FPS consistently (except on older tracks at night), which is fine since my monitors only refresh at 60mhz anyway. (the specs say 75mhz but they're Scepter monitors so I suspect that number is bullshit)

*I could probably go higher, but I refuse to limit the number of cars drawn ahead, since if something happens up front I want to see it coming.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 30, 2019

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Vando posted:

Nascar Iracing Series comes to mind. I think they only run once a day on certain days. Though I think there's 2 on Saturdays. Been a while since I've run one so I might be mistaken.

I'm oval trash though, so I don't know about road course stuff.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Yeah, I turned it out down to the one virtual mirror and that seemed to help. It still stutters very occasionally. Man, it's the worse when you're going into a corner and you lose force feedback too

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's been a while since my accountant was active. What road courses are expected to be the next releases?

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 30, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yeah, I turned it out down to the one virtual mirror and that seemed to help. It still stutters very occasionally. Man, it's the worse when you're going into a corner and you lose force feedback too

My frame rate tanked randomly in the corkscrew on Laguna Seca, which was super fun under any circumstance but extra fun in VR

That being said I just threw money at the game to get the remainder of the season tracks for both Ferrari GT3 and skips, so I can’t complain.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Make sure cubemaps are off, lower shadow/light maps, low AA, and set max cars to 20. Reduce rendered mirrors also will help a lot.

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's been a while since my accountant active. What road courses are expected to be the next releases?

Barcelona is supposed to be on the way. TCR cars were hinted at.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Possibly a silly question: what exactly has changed in iracing in the last year? Should hopefully have room to get my stuff moved down to London and so I'd like to get back into it again!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

New tire model on the Skips (which can’t come to other cars fast enough, it’s real good)

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

IceAgeComing posted:

Possibly a silly question: what exactly has changed in iracing in the last year? Should hopefully have room to get my stuff moved down to London and so I'd like to get back into it again!

I think since the last time you raced there has been a lot. Day/Night cycles, updates to some tracks, new GTE cars, dirt trucks, and more. They did release NTMv7 for Skips and keep showing off videos of a new damage/collision system and AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Hey everyone, post a quick 'this is a cool car to drive' post for whatever series you're into atm and I'll add it to the OP