Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I should edit my first question more into, I do not wish to be overly dependent on others because that is not fair on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cool racism from the brexit party founder

https://twitter.com/blaiklockBP/status/1156137033506668544

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Uhh maybe my French isn't great but what is that supposed to be?

Besides a part of BoJo's diplomatic email to the EU, of course.

Closest I can think of is 'me, I accused'. I suspect a better version would be 'je m'accuse' for 'I accuse myself', though.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Private Speech posted:

Uhh maybe my French isn't great but what is that supposed to be?

Besides a part of BoJo's diplomatic email to the EU, of course.

It should probably be more like "moi même, j'ai accuse"- "myself, I accuse" but I didn't pay much attention in french class at school and some goon is about to pull a romanes eunt donuts on me

*Edit* ∆∆∆ see

But my accent was at least praiseworthy :colbert:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Someone told me this is true. This is a text I received.

'Catherine Blaiklock is an idiot and a racist'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

It should probably be more like "moi même, j'ai accuse"- "myself, I accuse" but I didn't pay much attention in french class at school and some goon is about to pull a romanes eunt donuts on me

'about to' :smuggo:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
oh dear more liberal brainworms

https://twitter.com/bengoldacre/status/1156518995010445314?s=20

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
do it you coward, call an election

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1156486102406127616?s=20

my fave bit is they specifically polled CUK to make sure Soubry knows that their current support is 4 (19% of 1%) out of 2,066 people

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I recall people here saying Extinction Rebellion were poo poo. Got any links to why?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See when I read that I think "if you can get rich people to pay to see an NHS doctor then milk the buggers for all they're worth?"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My cat died. Well, it wasn't really mine, she was my sisters cat, but they moved somewhere else so we took her in. She was a bit old and poorly and initially not at all chill, but over the last 5 weeks she'd gotten much more comfortable coming in, eating & generally being around people. Just Monday night she was crawling between my legs while I tried to cook dinner. Didn't see her about yesterday but it was wet and she often hides under the shed to stay dry but today, noticed she was just under the shed and cold and not moving. It sucks, didn't have her for long but she'd already grown on me but it seemed she just died in her sleep which isn't the worst way to go. Not a cat who'd sit on your lap or anything but I had hopes that she'd get there eventually, she just came into the living room for the first time Monday.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jedit posted:

I recall people here saying Extinction Rebellion were poo poo. Got any links to why?

- Encouraging protestors to thank cops for looking after them
- Focusing on protestors getting arrested without recognising the extra impact this has on BAME people
- Demanding recognition of climate emergency without proposing any solution to the climate emergency
- Not informing protestors of their rights
- Ignoring decades of experience from established protest groups
- Demos are more about making a scene than being disruptive with no permanent damage ever occurring
- Has the potential to turn full eco-fascist if their protests continue to be ignored

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

My cat died. Well, it wasn't really mine, she was my sisters cat, but they moved somewhere else so we took her in. She was a bit old and poorly and initially not at all chill, but over the last 5 weeks she'd gotten much more comfortable coming in, eating & generally being around people. Just Monday night she was crawling between my legs while I tried to cook dinner. Didn't see her about yesterday but it was wet and she often hides under the shed to stay dry but today, noticed she was just under the shed and cold and not moving. It sucks, didn't have her for long but she'd already grown on me but it seemed she just died in her sleep which isn't the worst way to go. Not a cat who'd sit on your lap or anything but I had hopes that she'd get there eventually, she just came into the living room for the first time Monday.

Oh, that's sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

Rarity posted:

- Focusing on protestors getting arrested without recognising the extra impact this has on BAME people
- Demanding recognition of climate emergency without proposing any solution to the climate emergency
- Demos are more about making a scene than being disruptive with no permanent damage ever occurring
- Has the potential to turn full eco-fascist if their protests continue to be ignored

Extinction rebellion landlords group

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

AceOfFlames posted:

I just don't understand why.

*Spends entire lunch break staring at phone*

They know if they start talking to you about their internal poo poo, you'll start talking about your internal poo poo, and they don't have the mental energy to deal with that.

I mean just generally, I don't open up to someone about my deeply held feelings unless I'm genuinely ready to give time to theirs.

Guavanaut posted:

e2: Also, repeat ad infinitum

Do people really think about other people that much? When I bother looking at other people I tend to assume they've got their own poo poo going on; assuming that other people (strangers anyway) are thinking about you just because you exist seems kind of immature to me.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Josef bugman posted:

I should edit my first question more into, I do not wish to be overly dependent on others because that is not fair on them.

Ultimately it's their choices whether to associate with you. I wouldn't say it's a problem if they're providing something you need if you're providing what they want.

Jedit posted:

We don't talk about the weather podcast did an episode on it.

https://media.blubrry.com/wdtatw/content.blubrry.com/wdtatw/ep88.mp3

It's also worth considering that even if their leadership and tactics are suspect that they are a lightning rod for all the existing activism to get around though and good may come about despite its founder being a sex pest and their strategy to capitulate to existing power structures.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do people really think about other people that much? When I bother looking at other people I tend to assume they've got their own poo poo going on; assuming that other people (strangers anyway) are thinking about you just because you exist seems kind of immature to me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Edison was a dick posted:

It's also worth considering that even if their leadership and tactics are suspect that they are a lightning rod for all the existing activism to get around though and good may come about despite its founder being a sex pest and their strategy to capitulate to existing power structures.

Yeah, the left needs to be on the periphery of XR action because when their tactics fail we need to be there to pick up the disillusioned protesters and offer them something more.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

It should probably be more like "moi même"
I'm just picturing a West Country farmer trying to chase a racist frog back into its barn.

Renaissance Robot posted:

One of the layers of the ad infinitum is everyone thinking "I bet everyone else except me thinks about other people that much." :smug:

But idk, I don't assume everyone else but me is a mindless sheeple, I do assume other people might have struggles that I know nothing about, but I was just using it as an example of the problems of the atomized self in our current supposedly individualist society, not that everyone literally sits there on the bus thinking they're somehow special.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Yeah, the left needs to be on the periphery of XR action because when their tactics fail we need to be there to pick up the disillusioned protesters and offer them something more.

Just not too close, because Green and Black Cross (the UK's leading legal support organisation for protests) had to distance themselves from Extinction Rebellion over their incredibly reckless approach to protester safety.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But so is basically anyone with over a certain amount of cash and while by definition that means they're guilty of *something*, there's no particular evidence they ever visited his island or anything like that.

The "Famous Prime Minister" rumour is *allegedly* about the CDs in Epstein's safe, marked with titles like "Young [girl's name] + [man's name]":

https://twitter.com/thelastrefuge2/status/1148314379416477701

(Page 9 of this document if you want the original, which doesn't go as far as the above, but like I say this is the rumour)
From a twitter thread about something completely unrelated:
https://twitter.com/WorryingAnd/status/1156479470951268353

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1156586942961770500?s=21

This is interesting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the antisemitic left striking again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wake me up when I can go to the local corner shop and buy enough opium to put a horse to sleep for good.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They can see which way the wind is blowing.
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1156235981902745600

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

the antisemitic left striking again

Specifically sonder means "special" in german, I think, so it's a weird word choice.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

How the hell does that last bit follow from everything before it?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Huh I was going to say how shameful it is for all the other parties that the Tories are moving first on weed but I just checked and apparently the Lib Dems were pro weed legalisation for a couple of years now. And the Greens for a long time.

But still shame on Labour and the SNP for being too scared to do it.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

This is really interesting. It would make sense politically to attract urban/graduate liberals, and I can't see the mail/express getting too het up at Johnson as long as he's Brexiting. He also doesn't have May's Home Office full on authoritarian pedigree, but who the gently caress knows what Johnson actually believes or cares about. Doing it would also trump the SNP and Labour who are making noises about drug reform.

Sadly I doubt it will involve adopting a wider public health approach to drugs, so will be relatively limited in terms of doing good, but it would be better than not decriminalising it at least

Edit: of course, they may well just use the SNP tactic of saying they may do a thing in the future without ever doing it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even Malaysia is considering full decriminalization now, but no legal sales of anything and you still get killed for trafficking if they decide to pursue that angle.

Part of that might be half their police using meth because of the hours they're working trying to police the failing war on drugs though.

OwlFancier posted:

Specifically sonder means "special" in german, I think, so it's a weird word choice.
Pulled from the populace on pain of punishment and forced to assist the guards against their own, seems to fit well with the idea of Special Constables in Reformation England.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

:( not you too Ben Goldacre I liked you

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Their protest outside the Royal Courts was pretty laughable. It was tiny, had little to no purpose and just ended up causing more loving traffic which in turn caused more pollution. Then they hosed off and weren't seen again after 4 hours.

I get why people protest, but it's mostly just a hippie commune for a couple of hours with no rational thought as to how to fix the problems.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

Huh I was going to say how shameful it is for all the other parties that the Tories are moving first on weed but I just checked and apparently the Lib Dems were pro weed legalisation for a couple of years now. And the Greens for a long time.

But still shame on Labour and the SNP for being too scared to do it.

Um, Corbyn's been pushing to legalise it since 2001 https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/20010

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The point of the protests is to disrupt things and such, get in the news to raise awareness/seriousness of the issue. You can argue it's not a effective outcome, but for that limited goal it seems to work. The other issues with naivety with protesting are an issue however.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smdh at all these scotpol avatars thinking every labour mp is jim murphy doing different accents

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

This a really weak criticism really, they want governments to do 'something' rather than just go for a wait and see approach. Building the will to do something is not strictly linked to exactly what that something is.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

That sucks dude. My partners cat from childhood died just a couple of years into our relationship and he was only really beginning to get affectionate towards me shortly before he went too. It cut me up pretty bad, I hope you’re keeping alright.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

smdh at all these scotpol avatars thinking every labour mp is jim murphy doing different accents
I'd watch that. Like a really poo poo Chewin' the Fat.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Double barrelled deep thought

1) I like learning new things and enjoy it most when learning directly from another person who I can bug the hell out of with more questions. Can't really help you with an answer as to how to avoid this kind of dependency.
2) Personally struggling with this at the moment. I'm very introverted, and have been told recently (because I asked a few people who know me) the reason I'm struggling to meet new people at the moment (Moved towns last year) is because I come across as intimidating. When asking those that told me, I was given the bland answer "You just do". I'd like to change that perception of me. Perhaps I should by a free hugs t-shirt?

Love ya buggy.

Josef bugman posted:

Ohhh. Cold Turkey. Due to experiences when younger I find it incredibly difficult to put any level of trust in anyone. If I'm posed with a problem I haven't encountered before. I'll research it, ask multiple people for advice and then tackle it myself. If whoever I've asked advice from offers to help I'll politely decline, because I always want to learn how to solve this problem myself if it comes up again in future. However, I will keep them in mind if I'm way out of my depth. There's nothing wrong with asking for help if you need it.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

AceOfFlames posted:

How the hell does that last bit follow from everything before it?

Makes a fair amount of sense to me- they ignored seasoned legal advice and support on protesting to bow down to cops, who they happily set upon some people who got hassled on suspicion of being brown. They demand a climate emergency without stating what special powers should be enacted- ripe for steering by big business factors they already invited in warmly through the front door.

For the most part this is the fault of bumbling mainly middle class newbies doing babbys first activism- but if they aren't being steered by infiltrators from police/sis (lol) then they are acting exactly like it. They could pull poo poo like a shutdown of all major London airports- hell- 5 fowk with drones could. They could be doing all sorts of poo poo that actually stopped the machine, but instead they largely throw themselves around on streets and doff the cap when the establishment appear.

As climate change gets even worse, government need to monitor and control such groups grows with it, because people are rightly going to become more desperate. Given capitalism in crisis is being replaced by more and more open fascism they will surely cargo-cult the language of the left wing like they have every other time they cropped up- hence the term eco-fascism. I would say countdown to blaming immigrants etc for the climate but I'm certain its already begun, and I just don't have the heart to go looking at fash poo poo today to prove it.