Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'd love to put a policy in place that hauls your rear end into the director's office and scares the gently caress out of you for falling for a phishing email. Aside from the fact that my director is a sniveling dudebro with his head up 3 other people's asses. xsf knows what I'm talking about.

If it's the dude I'm thinking of, he started his career as a project manager, and hasn't really gotten any better since. (I sit in front of his office)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Our red team sends out periodic fake phishing attempts, and if you get stung by one, you have to go through a training course on basic internet security and have to have your boss sign off on you having learned how not to be a fuckwit. This doesn't stop it from happening, but our userbase is reasonably well educated. (Until we pick up another loosey-goosey M&A...)

I think I've shared the story before, but I once got called into an emergency mass password reset meeting because loving Atlassian managed to leak a bunch of Hipchat passwords, and we'd been using it internally. It wasn't tied to our SSO, but there was a concern that passwords may have been reused, so everyone who had a Hipchat account tied to an @yayclod.com email had to get their password rotated immediately.

On Superbowl Sunday.

The reason why I got pulled in was because no one on the on-call Security team picked up their phones because apparently Superbowl Sunday is a loving holiday now? And I was the only person anyone could think of offhand who would be available AND know how to hack out a bunch of Powershell on short notice.

Which was true, except I was in a car on I-5 between Seattle and Portland on the way home from a wedding. I could work just fine on a Mifi connection, except my idiot director (former IBM, and no longer with :yayclod:) wanted to keep everyone on a GoToMeeting conference bridge, and refused to turn off his video feed :psyduck: I ended up killing the GTM and pretending it was a random crash, and I was just SO BUSY WRITING CODE U GUYZ that I couldn't get back on the bridge.

So gently caress Atlassian, and gently caress Security for not picking up their loving phones.

At least I got hella overtime and a small spot bonus for not ignoring my phone.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thanatosian posted:

Why is his email still in your database?!

Because no one in academics or student affairs felt the need to notify me that this happened. I just found out today. Apparently he's been on all the contact lists since then... Creeping...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

First of May posted:

Do they have scared-straight style classes for password security like they do for drunk divers?

Could probably hire someone full time to be their email user by proxy and when the user says to respond with their bank details the proxy gets to put them in time out or the bathroom and requires C-Level approval to be removed.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

dragonshardz posted:

I have been doing that, but today I'm onsite so I decided to go and see for myself instead of beating my head against this particular wall. I was hoping it'd be a standard Layer 8 issue, buuut...nope. It's a weird one.

The user can't open a specific document that is attached via email. Other Word documents that are attachments work fine, but this one document that caused her to email us with "I CAN'T OPEN DOCUMENTS :cry:" just opens as a total blank. Not even a blank document, the virtual page doesn't render.

So I emailed it to myself from her account and the document opens fine for me.

Something's fucky as all hell. Next I'm going to try opening the document on her compute but with my account to see if it's the computer or her account that's hosed.

PremiumSupport posted:

I've had that happen. It's a very very rare office quirk of some kind. I'll bet that no matter what you do she'll never be able to open the original document, but if you "Save As:" the document with a new name it will open just fine.

I've seen something similar when the temp folder was full for the user, or too many of the same name existed. Repeating reports etc

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xsf421 posted:

If it's the dude I'm thinking of, he started his career as a project manager, and hasn't really gotten any better since. (I sit in front of his office)

AP, specifically.

At least DP would loving listen to the engineering teams.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

AP, specifically.

At least DP would loving listen to the engineering teams.

That'd be him! I'm coming from the noc, so in already used to useless leadership.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

xsf421 posted:

I'm coming from the noc, so in already used to useless leadership.

:smith::hf::smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

I sent an email out to parents with instructions on how to opt-in for emergency alerts.

I got an email back from the divorced father of two of our students.

I looked them up in the system and they have notes attached to them informing that they have a restraining order against him. Apparently he tried to kidnap them from the dorms last year.

I just want to fix computers, ya'll.
Escalate this internally and "suggest" that your boss report it to the cops. It might be nothing, but someday when there's a sad story on the news you'll be glad you saved that email on multiple devices and to multiple cloud accounts.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

"there's some black stuff that came out of the printer"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

Grab a broom

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Your nose works too.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Renegret posted:

Grab a broom

Give a vacuum cleaner to the coworker you hate the most.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shut up Meg posted:

Give a vacuum cleaner to the coworker you hate the most.

I hate that you're making me choose just one, out of a total of...all of them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Leaf blower

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
A toothbrush, and the MSDS for toner to use as a dustpan.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Figured I would start here first before I went to GSuite support... maybe someone here has done it before!

We have 2 completely separate GSuite accounts using different domains. I would like to take the smaller GSuite account and combine it into the larger account, making the secondary account a secondary domain. Keeping all the users and their data intact...

Has anyone here had to do something like this before?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

Larches we went over our toner budget this month, but printing volumes stayed the same. File a complaint against our supplier as P1 and don't go home until they credit us for the maliciously delivered half-full cartridge!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I lied.

I spilled the toner.

It was me.

I'm the toner dumper.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Did you also put the screw in the tuna?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

larchesdanrew posted:

I lied.

I spilled the toner.

It was me.

I'm the toner dumper.

A call comes in. Printer is barking about low toner, but our vendor hasn't shown up with new cartridges. Not thinking, I tell the user to gently shake the toner cartridge.

A call comes in. There's toner everywhere, help.

stevewm posted:

Figured I would start here first before I went to GSuite support... maybe someone here has done it before!

We have 2 completely separate GSuite accounts using different domains. I would like to take the smaller GSuite account and combine it into the larger account, making the secondary account a secondary domain. Keeping all the users and their data intact...

Has anyone here had to do something like this before?

I haven't, but I know people who have. Where do you want to begin? I can field questions if you've got specifics.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I haven't, but I know people who have. Where do you want to begin? I can field questions if you've got specifics.

Well, how do you even begin? Google's documentation doesn't seem to go over this specific scenario that I can see, or the documentation on it is just poor. What I can find starts off saying to delete the existing secondary account and then in the very next paragraph says to migrate the data... but how can you migrate the data from an account that has been deleted?!

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Exit Strategy posted:

I mean, here it's part of the basic security training, and if you use the same password for more than just one account and tell someone about it there's a bounty on that poo poo with our infosec staff.

What a strange cat.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've been stuck in this mostly boring week-long firewall training class and today we were talking about phishing. One of the guys in the class chimed in to say his org sends people home for a day the first time they fall for a phishing attempt, a week for their second, and permanently for their third. He confirmed they had sent people home for a week before. I felt awe and jealousy that my org can't also do this.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I've been stuck in this mostly boring week-long firewall training class and today we were talking about phishing. One of the guys in the class chimed in to say his org sends people home for a day the first time they fall for a phishing attempt, a week for their second, and permanently for their third. He confirmed they had sent people home for a week before. I felt awe and jealousy that my org can't also do this.

But but but how will the company operate and get their profits????

Yeah, I actually like that rule, too.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Sirotan posted:

Ugh, my company is too gutless to do that.

We had a support analyst give out the master Mac password. THREE TIMES. He didn't get fired. They did refuse to renew his contract when it was up, but they didn't bother to do much more than give him a stern look when he did it. And then again. And then again.

The Mac guys on my team were ready to drive up here and Office Space his skull.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

I work for a financial institution, and while I can definitely see this happening on some level, the phishermen have definitely been stepping up their game over the last few years, and I really can't get too angry at people for falling for some of these. Also, I'd much rather people report when this happens to them than not.

Though, one of our C-levels insisted on a special email rule that got rid of the "this email was from an external source" banner at the top of his emails, then was the only person to click on the link in our pen test email and not report it, so... maybe that policy, but it only applies to C-levels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Remember this?

Arquinsiel posted:

I recently saw a case where users clicked on an email that made it through all the various filters and contained nothing but an image that looked like a PDF attachment that linked to a forms.office.com document. That document just said "Login to continue" and has username and password fields. Approximately one in eight users entered their details :negative:

The RCA had an amazing threaded diagram of how each different security control failed in the simplest ways. It was god-damned masterful.
One of the users that hosed up and got defensive was the CEO. Who said he changed his password after his PA took the hit for him and admitted to using his creds to login.

He did not.

But we enabled MFA for his account, that'll protect him, right? Not if he taps "allow" any time anyone tries to get in! :pseudo: The team is currently mid-audit after someone above the board level decided to blame us for their cousin's idiocy. Family run companies are the best!

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

I I really can't get too angry at people for falling for some of these.

The gently caress you can't!

In TYOOL 2019 security is everyone's responsibility. The exact same as it was all years past.

What I'm getting at is that if there aren't consequences for failing, there's no incentive to improve.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

nullfunction posted:

The gently caress you can't!

In TYOOL 2019 security is everyone's responsibility. The exact same as it was all years past.

What I'm getting at is that if there aren't consequences for failing, there's no incentive to improve.

And if there are consequences for failing, there's no incentive to report.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequences, just that zero tolerance policies are generally bad.

Then again, I come at this from a very lucky place, where my user base is highly security-conscious, and we hear about most phishing attempts almost immediately.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

And if there are consequences for failing, there's no incentive to report.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequences, just that zero tolerance policies are generally bad.

Then again, I come at this from a very lucky place, where my user base is highly security-conscious, and we hear about most phishing attempts almost immediately.

The consequences of failing and then failing to report should be more than the consequences of "hey I did a dumb and probably shouldn't have"

Ideally one is using a spearphishing service to identify folks ahead of a real breach but perfect world, blah blah

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of security, ughh I hate that "cyber" now universally means "security"

"Aw drat, our internal app is getting audited by the Cyber Team"

etc

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Data Graham posted:

etc

F/16/FL wanna talk more about my cyber audit?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Data Graham posted:

etc
What, you'd prefer when idiots tried to claim that cyber means buttcoin?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D. Ebdrup posted:

What, you'd prefer when idiots tried to claim that cyber means buttcoin?
Honestly yes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arquinsiel posted:

Escalate this internally and "suggest" that your boss report it to the cops. It might be nothing, but someday when there's a sad story on the news you'll be glad you saved that email on multiple devices and to multiple cloud accounts.

Yeah, that email absolutely needs to find its way into the hands of the police or FBI in the near future.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
you can ping a router???? - My boss

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Someone's head (more likely multiple people's heads) are going to roll because of a crypto incident involving multiple clients, lack of 2FA and an unreported breach. Just glad the parent company is at fault and not our company; we're just being brought in to help mitigate and assess.

Assessment: poo poo is hosed, backups were wiped out prior to everything getting encrypted, and all of the backups were local so lol

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

A call comes in. Printer is barking about low toner, but our vendor hasn't shown up with new cartridges. Not thinking, I tell the user to gently shake the toner cartridge.

A call comes in. There's toner everywhere, help.
I'd argue that's on them. The people who interpret "gently shake" as "flail that fucker like it owes you money" deserve what they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

you can ping a router???? - My boss
Well, you can try. There's a good chance that a ICMP Pong or TCP SYN-ACK will be de-prioritized or even dropped under any kind of load from any and every router on the internet - so you can't actually use it for what people use it for, which is to run traceroutes to determine if "something is broken on the internet".
InternetPulse doesn't even work anymore, so unless you've got access to RIPE ATLAS probes or a smokeping setup, you're SOL.