Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Crakkerjakk posted:

You really don't want both of them out of the senate if you want either of their agendas to have a chance in hell of passing.

true, but MA and VT are hardly battleground states. Good point though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are either of them up in 2020?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Realistically how many more terms are they gonna have before death or retirement anyway? two or three? We can't rely on them being in the senate to have left of center proposals for too much longer and need newer congress critters with those ideals elected and entrenched.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Schadenboner posted:

Are either of them up in 2020?

Nope, I think both aren't up till 2022.

So long as they keep Martha Coakley away from any races, MA should be fine getting another D in there. Wouldn't be suprirsed if Deval Patrick made a run for it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A Warren/Sanders ticket is worth getting stoked about.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

in that order, 100% yes

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think, unfortunately, that unless they do that they aren’t going to beat whatever centrist oozes to the top. I think there is enough people leaning their way to put one of them on top, but they are literally splitting the vote. I used to think Bernie would do better because he just doesn’t give a gently caress about bullshit and has been the same for 50+ years so he knows what to do when the R invoke communism. Warren has been looking less corncob like over the last few months since she’s found he footing so Bernie isn’t as clear a bet for me personally anymore.

They both have identified the same problems, but just have different policy to fight it. I think they know that the similarities are more important to unite now when they are in safe polling range, than to attack each other and cripple the message as a whole.

Yes. Sanders and Warren combined are matching or beating Biden in the polls. He's not ahead because most people like him, he's ahead because the "non lovely centrist" vote is split several ways.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

in that order, 100% yes

Yes. I'm generally a bigger fan of Warren for my own reasons, but I also think that having a woman and/or minority at the top of the ticket is important in itself.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Audio got released of a call Reagan made to Nixon in 1971. In it St. Ronnie refers to Africans as monkeys who are still uncomfortable wearing shoes, and Nixon laughs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Reagan running for a third term 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think Warren is still the best policy person by far, and probably the best candidate to run this shitshow, but I still don't think she's going to win it. I am however glad that she's been crushing the debates and support has increased accordingly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes. I'm generally a bigger fan of Warren for my own reasons, but I also think that having a woman and/or minority at the top of the ticket is important in itself.

idgaf about the gender stuff, id feel much more comfortable with her dealing with international issues than bernie. also her just talking about antitrust issues with apple/amazon/google brought a whole lot more attention to it. Will it happen? who the gently caress knows, but im sure Ma Bell would have something to say.

bernie seems better for domestic issues by like the tiniest of margins, but i also think they both would be great VPs.

if you want to have fun and see what the next DNC talking point will be, google Warren/Sanders and look at the results

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I dunno, I kinda like the guy who said nuclear proliferation is good

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Reagan running for a third term 2020

Speaking of Reagan (Battalion)
https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1156402050340708358?s=20

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’m an atheist Jew, and I get told I’m not a real Jew quite often. The problem is all the Jew loving Christians out there only love Israel for its part in the Revelation. I always point it out when people trumpet how that only the Republicans care about Israel, and get called an anti Semite for it. Like you want all the Jews to die in a holy war so your space wizard can come back, yet I’m somehow the rear end in a top hat.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Not sure if too cop for this thread can move if so:

Lol NY legislature took a relatively easy media win and are now instead trying to turn the specific act of throwing water into a felony charge. Because apparently the litany of other charges they could choose to pursue in cases of actual assault weren't good enough.

https://abc7ny.com/bill-would-create-felony-charge-for-attacking-police-with-water/5431243/

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The Land of the Free sure does love coming up with new and inventive things to clap its citizens into jail for.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Laranzu posted:

Lol NY legislature took a relatively easy media win and are now instead trying to turn the specific act of throwing water into a felony charge. Because apparently the litany of other charges they could choose to pursue in cases of actual assault weren't good enough.

https://abc7ny.com/bill-would-create-felony-charge-for-attacking-police-with-water/5431243/

If that dumbass bill becomes law I'm moving to NY to become a felon

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are either governor an :gop: in VT or MA?

:ohdear:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Laranzu posted:

On cursory inspection it looks like the "problem" is that they can "only" charge a class A misdemeanor if the officer isn't injured in any way, if the officer is injured in any way its a class D felony?

Because a class A misdemeanor and a year or whatever in jail is "nothing" I guess?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

time to break out the super soakers again

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’m an atheist Jew, and I get told I’m not a real Jew quite often. The problem is all the Jew loving Christians out there only love Israel for its part in the Revelation. I always point it out when people trumpet how that only the Republicans care about Israel, and get called an anti Semite for it. Like you want all the Jews to die in a holy war so your space wizard can come back, yet I’m somehow the rear end in a top hat.

That's not really true. A lot of Republicans care about Israel because Israel is really good at oppressing and killing Arabs.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

The internet is busy laughing over a tweet that has surfaced online and features Hollywood actor Matt Damon. No, sorry, a "CIA agent. " We'll explain the whole deal. But if you are wondering why the internet is amused, it's because of a viral post in which the actor was mistaken for a "CIA agent" on account of his role in his film Jason Bourne.

As per a tweet shared by Ray Kwong, a Pro-Beijing leader posted a photo of a "CIA agent" and said that he is "stirring up chaos" in Hong Kong. No prizes for guessing that the CIA agent in question is actually a picture of Matt Damon from Jason Bourne.

https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-...k8tmJRl-xnn0zqM

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MA is a new england republican governor who is super highly liked for being too moderate and got endorsed by hella democrats for his 2018 election

also if any MA posters have any other opinions im all ears, thats just what ive seen from over the state border so dont think of me as an expert or anything

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 31, 2019

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

For the far right, Israel is an example of ethnic nationalism done right. They want to do something similar here, where Christian whites have full citizenship and non-whites have fewer rights and the majority of them can be corralled into reservations. Richard Spencer for instance loves Israel.

It also jives with the far right take of "I'm not racist, I think everyone should get their own country."

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
My dream ticket of Williamsson/Sanders would be amazing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Best Friends posted:

For the far right, Israel is an example of ethnic nationalism done right. They want to do something similar here, where Christian whites have full citizenship and non-whites have fewer rights and the majority of them can be corralled into reservations. Richard Spencer for instance loves Israel.

It also jives with the far right take of "I'm not racist, I think everyone should get their own country."

gently caress those people

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In case you needed a reminder that we live in the dumbest loving timeline. Donnie sent a hostage crisis diplomat to Stockholm to try and get that rapper back.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

true, but MA and VT are hardly battleground states. Good point though

Like "a generic democrat senator" is not the same as either of them. Conservative and centrist Democrats will look for absolutely any excuse to water down or not vote for the policies both are proposing that make them popular and harm corporate power and profits.

Ideally, Bernie in 2020 with Nina Turner as VP, Nina Turner in 2024 (AOC can primary Schumer in 2022), AOC takes over in 2032.

And yeah, hopefully this coincides with a wave of dem-soc people getting into office across the country and dragging the people who survive getting primaried to the left, because otherwise nothing will really change except the few things the president can do by EO.

That said, it's 100% correct that if both Sanders and Warren stay in they will split the left vote and lead to a centrist winning the nomination. I'd guess Harris (I still think Biden will fade, and the Clinton camp of the party is backing her pretty heavily while the Obama camp can't seem to make up it's mind.)

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 31, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

If this doesn’t boil your blood I don’t know what will. Goddamn I have nothing but contempt for these people, and lord knows the feeling is mutual (Jews will not replace us chants and all that by the same kinda people).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm naturalized by birth US citizen with 12 years of service.

I'm not even surprised anymore. gently caress this country.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't wait till you have to have a confederate flag tat to even be in the military

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was gonna make a quip about how European hate groups use the confederate flag because their own colors are illegal but then I remembered that Pepe exists and is functionally the same.

Then I also realized that eventually they'll go back to saying the loud part in public and it won't matter.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/sta...ingawful.com%2F

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

What does having a vagina or being something other than white have to do with being qualified
for office?

Like... Saying you want a minority female President is as dumb as saying you want a White Male President. Gender and ethnicity should not be anyone’s motivating criteria. The person who is best qualified/has policies you agree with is who you should support. Be they male, female, black, white,whatever.

That all said, I like Elizabeth Warren a great deal more after these debates. And the thought of getting the first female president AND a real deal progressive makes me excited for her future. The party would be strengthened with her at the helm, and the country would get a much better leader than Cheeto Trumpito.

Biden is steadily dropping in the Shim polls, with Warren and Sanders on a ballistic ascent.
I got some serious doubts about Mayor Pete’s suitability/qualification for president after learning more about him.

I just want us to amend the constitution and remove presidential Term Limits and just let Obama be president for life. I loving love Obama.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 31, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Well there is something to be said about having people in charge who have different life experiences. I'm sure that females and minorities in government have a much different perspective on the world than random white dude #7394.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

What does having a vagina or being something other than white have to do with being qualified
for office?

Like... Saying you want a minority female President is as dumb as saying you want a White Male President. Gender and ethnicity should not be anyone’s motivating criteria. The person who is best qualified/has policies you agree with is who you should support. Be they male, female, black, white,whatever.

That all said, I like Elizabeth Warren a great deal more after these debates. And the thought of getting the first female president AND a real deal progressive makes me excited for her future. The party would be strengthened with her at the helm, and the country would get a much better leader than Cheeto Trumpito.

Biden is steadily dropping in the Shim polls, with Warren and Sanders on a ballistic ascent.
I got some serious doubts about Mayor Pete’s suitability/qualification for president after learning more about him.

I just want us to amend the constitution and remove presidential Term Limits and just let Obama be president for life. I loving love Obama.

For the entirety of this country there has been a message to well over half the population that people who look like them with their experiences and perspectives are not allowed to be in charge.
Changing that is an objective good.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Congrats you're basically getting decades of the same lovely policies from Clinton to Bush to Obama to Trump. The latest guy just isn't sugar coating them!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A Bad Poster posted:

Well there is something to be said about having people in charge who have different life experiences. I'm sure that females and minorities in government have a much different perspective on the world than random white dude #7394.

Yeah, but sometimes that different outlook is from a morkn like Candace Owens who may be a PoC woman, but she advocates the beliefs of "random white dude #7394" or whatever.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I recall Shim doing a lot of Obama bashing over those 8 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i miss having a cool president