Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just use planes as location markers and keep them at 6mm or smaller, and then have them be the only thing to cross the table boundaries. The next thing is to ensure you have enough landing craft in both scales to do a 1:1 representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hmm I kind of like the idea of one (very big) board in 6mm and doing something like invading a Pacific island as a club/exhibition sort of game. It'd look incredibly impressive.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I know nothing more about this, but here's someone's Tarawa board:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Everyone always wants to do D-Day or the Pacific fit beach landing, never Estonia or Finland.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

They didn't until the war was basically over, aside from their submarines. Everything else was coastal artillery.

Well, or crossing the Volga.

I want destroyers and cruisers, maybe even CWGH stuff. Definitely blue water.

E: But maybe I'll do coastal stuff too with Cruel Seas.

Cruel Seas models are fairly huge at 1/300. Go 1/600 and use this guy's garage resin kits:

https://ptdockyard.com/narrow-seas/1600-wwii-coastal-forces/1600-russian/

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah a giant 6mm pacific atoll or archipelago is what I was thinking. You could have the islands oversized compared to the sea areas, ships be 1:1 modeled and infantry be 1 stand or vehicle = 1 platoon or something.

I think a contested pacific island or something like that would be the only reason to actually have the ships. Like there's no reason to model naval combat for D-Day.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think dystopian wars actually was big on this. It was in ~1.5mm scale I believe, and included all the theaters in the same scale

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Stands being a company might be excessive, but stands with a platoon of vehicles or infantry representing a company would be big and chunkily appealing while letting you have a better troop scale.

In 6mm or 3mm, obviously.

It'd give you a better look for a broader timescale, which would let planes and boats be more useable, maybe?

(or a platoon of 3mm on one base just being a platoon, sure)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

"TACWAR" was a wargame played as a staff planning tool when I was in the USMC. The set-up at Camp Del Mar's Amphibious Assault School when I was an instructor there had a really nice beach board. Many, many amphibious assault games were played there. I wish I had taken photos.

It was 1/285 (6mm) scale. Ships were represented abstractly.

Edit: Here's a photo, not mine, of a game in progress:

Edit: Huh, looks like the photo is reversed.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 31, 2019

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Lookit those nerds. They're playing in the right scale though, wonder what rules are used. Anyway, back from holiday and back into the drudgery of work and paint. I can post some more of those uniforms and proper explanation if anyone's interested, I'll take it to a history thread if it's a bit too dry to post here.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Wowshawk posted:

wonder what rules are used.

Tacwar. Here's a brief description.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Hmm I kind of like the idea of one (very big) board in 6mm and doing something like invading a Pacific island as a club/exhibition sort of game. It'd look incredibly impressive.

You could probably do Tarawa or Attu with a large enough map, and the Battle of Tulagi and Gavutu–Tanambogo could probably fit on a standard kitchen table at a decent scale. Tulagi & Gavutu-Tanambogo is one of my favourites for this kind of thing because it's such a sharply defined battlefield.

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Everyone always wants to do D-Day or the Pacific fit beach landing, never Estonia or Finland.

The Aelutian campaign (the battle for Attu specifically) is one option, but I also quite like the campaign for Scheldt, which has Canadians performing a semi-island-hopping campaign in the Netherlands, crossing canals and shooting Germans.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 1, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Lol if you don't want to do 1:1 representation at 6mm or 3mm

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I want to do a 1:1 representation at 1/1 scale.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JcDent posted:

Lol if you don't want to do 1:1 representation at 6mm or 3mm

If I was 1%er rich this is what a ludicrous amount of my money would be going towards.

Whole corps of 6mm on enormous tables

gently caress it, a 28mm corps

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
After finding pictures of several downed DFS 230 glider planes, in North Africa, in 1942, I could no longer resist. I ordered one for my Fallschirmjägers. In 1:48. It's gonna be huuuge. :O But it should be a nice centre piece for the FJ force.

e: not the MDF kit from Sarissa, but the plastic kit from Special Hobby.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If I was 1%er rich this is what a ludicrous amount of my money would be going towards.

Whole corps of 6mm on enormous tables

gently caress it, a 28mm corps

I have some 3mm T-55s and they're beaaaautiful.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

I have some 3mm T-55s and they're beaaaautiful.

At 2mm or 3mm it's quite feasable to do a battle in 1:1, especially if you stay away from the most gargantuan ones.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The summer-dress Brits are somewhat better than Asians in Korea, at least.

But only somewhat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Warlord’s faces are usually not great but they’re on a roll lately

The bottom row of guys straight up looks like they’re intended to be zombies and the pointing guy is the head white walker

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
2-3 looks like a goddamn goblin.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Don't buy ugly miniatures for Korea: buy hundreds upon hundreds of Napoleonics! I just wrote a blog post on my thoughts on why we're throwing caution to the wind and venturing into that scary place I vowed to never go: brigade (or even divisional and corps) level Napoleonics!

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/big-boy-napoleonics-part-1-expanding-the-battles

In other news, if you're into WW2 and want a free (postage not included) set of tank commanders you should check out the yearly survey from the WSS magazine. If you answer the survey you'll get a coupon code that you can use at their webshop, where Rubicon has put up a new sprue of four tank commanders.

https://www.karwansaraypublishers.c...151oQRc-4Ugev-w

You can also get Old Guards... in SPAAAAACE, or some halflings I guess. Or just use the coupon to buy magazines or books. You can do the survey here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PJ825GK

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there a go-to for 15mm WW2 soviets right now?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PSC or first-gen Battlefront FoW plastics are both pretty good.

The new FoW plastics aren't as bad as people say either, IMO.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

moths posted:

PSC or first-gen Battlefront FoW plastics are both pretty good.

The new FoW plastics aren't as bad as people say either, IMO.

The newer new ones are about as good as their old hard plastics, IMO. The earlier MW ones were pretty dire, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really like the Team Yankee plastics, and the lessened detail is a trivial price for gun barrels which don't snap off.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

moths posted:

I really like the Team Yankee plastics, and the lessened detail is a trivial price for gun barrels which don't snap off.

Gun barrels, poo poo; RPG warheads not constantly going missing sells it for me!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Depends on how many you need, but I got some from Peter Pig recently and really liked them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I remembered, GHQ makes tiny ships. They have a ruleset, too, but I don't know if it's any good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Someone was complaining about the Epic video game platform having lots of various problems, and I had the realization that the Peter Pig website has more features, what with having a shopping cart and everything.

Really makes you think.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Peter Pig faces are also somewhat distinctive.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

How do people base warlord metal figures so that the blob their feet are attached to looks like it blends with the base? Just cover the entire base with putty?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

When you add sand/grit for basing you just fill it in so it’s even. If you’re adding static grass it’s even less noticeable

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

lilljonas posted:

In other news, if you're into WW2 and want a free (postage not included) set of tank commanders you should check out the yearly survey from the WSS magazine. If you answer the survey you'll get a coupon code that you can use at their webshop, where Rubicon has put up a new sprue of four tank commanders.

https://www.karwansaraypublishers.c...151oQRc-4Ugev-w

You can also get Old Guards... in SPAAAAACE, or some halflings I guess. Or just use the coupon to buy magazines or books. You can do the survey here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PJ825GK

Just a heads up, I filled out the survey and ordered a sprue of the Wargames Atlantic halflings, because I saw some previews of the models and they looked good, and I got a notice that my order is expected to ship in... October. So you might be waiting a while.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spiderbot posted:

How do people base warlord metal figures so that the blob their feet are attached to looks like it blends with the base? Just cover the entire base with putty?

Roll some green stuff or putty into a snake. Roll it around the foot blob. squeeze it to make it into kind of a pitcher's mound. It'll blend fine enough once you have sand, grass and other textures on.

An alternative is to just cover it all with a bunch of spackling paste/pollyfilla, which is the method I'm using most of the time.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 6, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spiderbot posted:

If you want to put in way too much effort you can try file down the blob a bit too, but yeah, just build up with putty TBH.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

It's campaign time! Me and a clubmate are marching to war, using the Dawns & Departures campaign rules for Sharp Practice 2. This is our first Napoleonics campaign, and we've recruited fellow historical goon zokie to act as umpire.

I will have the honour of marshalling my French forces against the defiant Russians standing in our way on the road to Smolensk in July 1812. Will I be able to brush them aside while gathering enough supplies from the local villages, or will the Russians succeed in delaying me and pillage their own land?

To maintain a real fog of war, we'll keep separate blogs to record the campaign. This way we have no idea what's happening, as both sides can have several forces on the map. The umpire will receive all orders and resolve them as he sees fit.

I think this will be a really interesting and fun experience. First up is my orders of battle, including the personalities rolled up according to the campaign rules, and the starting moves. I'm told my opponent has uploaded the same, but I'm not allowed to check! :O That's my conviction to the all mighty fog of war.

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/campaign-blog-russia-1812.html

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 6, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Eagerly looking forward to this one!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak