Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is an anti-archvile script out there somewhere, I downloaded it once because gently caress archviles but I can't remember where I got it from unfortunately.

edit: Repost for new page, make sure to let VideoGames know if you want the sweet WAD Club gang tag!

VideoGames posted:

I will request that this is uploaded and then once it is done, post again asking for people who wants tags to let me know and I will get them added on :)

VideoGames posted:

I will take the link to your new avatar and use it as a gangtag to request changes for anyone who would like one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I don't want to make an entire post just to ask for a gang tag so I'll also offer this important piece of information:

Revenants are also the best Doom enemy.

Thank you for your time.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Ha! I could have gotten it uploaded to the servers for free, but this way is quicker. So I will take the link to your new avatar and use it as a gangtag to request changes for anyone who would like one. Plus I will put in a request your old avatar so you do not have to buy a new one.

I would love a Wad Club gang tag. :) Thank you!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Archviles are a very interesting and good enemy that sometimes gets abused for cheap tricks like chain gunners. I also tend to play very hard WADs where a lot of encounters wouldn't work without rear end in a top hat archvile placements, so opinions may vary.

I'd totally take a DOOM WAD tag, please.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep. Archviles are the stuff of nightmares in Doom, much more than any other enemy that isn't a CD. Two Barons? ok. Two Mancubus? ok. Two revenants? ok.
Two archviles? Ruuuuun.

They are

- more than twice hp than a Revenant. They are tanky despite their looks.
- +50% faster movement speed!
- 55 avg damage, vs 40 of Revenant rocket
- most resistant enemy to pain
- and of course, their special auto-aim fire (or summon in your position, whatever you want to call it) ability, with huuuge range AND unavoidable without cover AND can't be stopped by other enemies between you and him.
- oh yeah, because all the previous points weren't enough, let's make him able to resurrect non-bosses enemies of any type

I doubt a lot their level of bullshit are replicated in Doom Eternal, AAA games at this point are more controlled, hyper-tested and 'smooth'

Archviles are the coolest enemy in doom so I'll be sad if they nerf the hell out of them/dilute their gimmick in the same way as like, new revs afaik not having homing rockets

e; new revs look cool but someone's gotta teach today's gamers how to do the half circle back motion

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 31, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

an_mutt posted:

alternatively:

Arch-viles are the best Doom enemy.

It's when mappers use them badly where they become a problem.

Oh, it's one of the best enemies on the game. I hate them. But... I love to hate them.

DisDisDis posted:

Archviles are the coolest enemy in doom so I'll be sad if they nerf the hell out of them/dilute their gimmick in the same way as like, new revs afaik not having homing rockets

I'm not even sure Pain Elementals spawn new enemies in Doom Eternal, I couldn't catch a glimpse of it in any of the videos. So, yeah...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

i swear, if someone made a script or dehacked patch or whatever is just completely disables avs from being spawned in maps that use them i would use that poo poo in a heartbeat

Would that make Plutonia MAP11 more or less spooky then?

e: also I would like a DOOM CLUB gang tag please

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

There were some old WADs that exploited a fun engine quirk with Archvile resurrection to make "ghost" enemies that could clip through level geometry and could only be killed by splash damage. Icarus: Alien Vanguard intentionally used the bug in map 24 and back in the day it made for one of the biggest :wtf: Doom memories I can recall. There were probably some other maps out there that used it but they'd all be old since all source ports corrected the problem.

As a tangent to monster infighting this was a fun goof that used to be possible: Monster suicide

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
How threatening an arch-vile is can vary wildly depending on the context of the encounter. They kinda feel like two enemies smashed together, their resurrection ability and their attack could work just fine seperately as a monster's only gimmick.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Arivia posted:

Would that make Plutonia MAP11 more or less spooky then?
Thinking about this, I realise that Plutonia 2's Map 11 would still be creepy and tense as it already is without a single vile in it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fabulousity posted:

As a tangent to monster infighting this was a fun goof that used to be possible: Monster suicide

That's a super fun bug and I didn't know about that! But makes total sense.

blakyoshi posted:

How threatening an arch-vile is can vary wildly depending on the context of the encounter. They kinda feel like two enemies smashed together, their resurrection ability and their attack could work just fine seperately as a monster's only gimmick.

Yeah that's how I feel. You could have a necromancer enemy and a magical blast enemy as two different dudes. Putting them all in one is just .. friggin mean !

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

blakyoshi posted:

I think it's important since fighting them innately requires cover camping them in some capacity that they have an element that pressures you to be the aggressor, since if you sit around too long they may just rez a bunch of stuff. Also while it rarely works out this way in practice a monster that can shoot through other enemies having a way to build a wall of meatshields makes sense.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm not even sure Pain Elementals spawn new enemies in Doom Eternal, I couldn't catch a glimpse of it in any of the videos. So, yeah...

This is a change I'm okay with. gently caress Lost Souls and especially gently caress Pain Elementals.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Personal pref: shotgun dancing with a Baron at point blank range is fun, once. Probably will skip the rest of Sigil if it’s a dang theme.

I do like the Doom 1 purity for now, though. And I’m noclipping through crushers, and not feeling even a little bad about it.

Also, gang tag, please! Unless my casual playing disqualified me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

doctorfrog posted:

Personal pref: shotgun dancing with a Baron at point blank range is fun, once. Probably will skip the rest of Sigil if it’s a dang theme.

I do like the Doom 1 purity for now, though. And I’m noclipping through crushers, and not feeling even a little bad about it.

Also, gang tag, please! Unless my casual playing disqualified me.

I made the mistake of dancing with the baron at point blank range the first time. :ssh: you can just shoot him through the bars. Way easier.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

doctorfrog posted:

i have bad news

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

For all of us that hate Archviles, just wait until we get to Glory Kill one in Doom Eternal. That's gonna be satisfying.

VideoGames posted:

I will request that this is uploaded and then once it is done, post again asking for people who wants tags to let me know and I will get them added on :)
And I mentioned it on the last page but it might have gotten drowned out, but I would like the gang tag too!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 31, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

i have bad news

I’m John Romero and I would like to talk to you about the good news of Hell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FPzero posted:

For all of us that hate Archviles, just wait until we get to Glory Kill one in Doom Eternal. That's gonna be satisfying.

And I mentioned it on the last page but it might have gotten drowned out, but I would like the gang tag too!

The archvile will soon learn that the only thing one should fear more than Doomguy running at you is Doomguy running at you while on fire.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

VideoGames posted:

making a whole rear end post to ask for the gang tag

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 31, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

CJacobs posted:

The archvile will soon learn that the only thing one should fear more than Doomguy running at you is Doomguy running at you while on fire.
Don't worry archson, he's more afraid of you than you are of him.

It still won't help, he can rip and tear while panicked out of his mind.

also the gang tag is cool and I'd appreciate it, if there's no requirement like "has to have posted some meaningful commentary on one of the chosen wads" because uh sigil yeah it's... sigil

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

also the gang tag is cool and I'd appreciate it, if there's no requirement like "has to have posted some meaningful commentary on one of the chosen wads" because uh sigil yeah it's... sigil

You must post your original un-altered kill screen from E5M8 with 100% kills and secrets or you don't get the gang tag!

Nah gently caress that. :haw:

I'll be posting a one-map bonus WAD for the weekend, as well as opening up voting for the next main club WAD soon, which will start next week. So you won't have to wait long to move past Sigil if its not your cup o tea.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, as annoying as they are I find Archviles to be one of my favorite enemies from a game design perspective, if not my favorite in the actual moment. They're fun because they make for a good extremely high priority monster that you have to find ways to get at while still dealing with other enemies. You need to kill the Archvile because he's just gonna keep bringing poo poo back, and they're extremely dangerous because you can't avoid them and have to find ways to break line of sight (which also might require you to stay in one place until he's finished, something that's dangerous when there's other enemies around). They're an interesting combat challenge. Less fun when 50 of them show up in a place you can't reach.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

an_mutt posted:

alternatively:

Put me in the "Archviles are great but easy to abuse" club

And speaking of clubs, gimme dat wad club tag

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I don't not like sigil, it's just a big chunky wad that I find hard to say anything about.

I do not like archviles, but I'm glad they exist so that I can hate them. Pain elementals I just don't like and not in a good way - maybe if they looked different? Like a skeletal cacodemon instead of a rubbish brown one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glagha posted:

Yeah, as annoying as they are I find Archviles to be one of my favorite enemies from a game design perspective, if not my favorite in the actual moment. They're fun because they make for a good extremely high priority monster that you have to find ways to get at while still dealing with other enemies. You need to kill the Archvile because he's just gonna keep bringing poo poo back, and they're extremely dangerous because you can't avoid them and have to find ways to break line of sight (which also might require you to stay in one place until he's finished, something that's dangerous when there's other enemies around). They're an interesting combat challenge. Less fun when 50 of them show up in a place you can't reach.

I hate them, but I don't think they should be removed from the game. But as someone said before, a big part of it is how map makers place them. IMO there should be like, maybe one arch-vile per map. Having 20 of them in one room is just stupid, unless you're playing with Russian Overkill or some similarly game-breaking weapon mod.

I do like the idea of a high priority but very tough enemy that you can't ignore because they can rez, and also an enemy that has a non-line-of-sight attack who can summon enemies to get in your way. Those both sound like things that do belong in doom. But how to balance that with how loving lovely they are?

It has me curious to try playing with enemy designs in doom, since everything can be modded. Like what if you had a similar type of enemy, but it couldn't resurrect all enemies, just imps? Something like that.

Doom is all about weaving through enemies and bullets in order to pick off targets based on priorities, so things that make you alter those priorities seem good.

One thing I was thinking about recently, I was looking at the bosses in Duke Nukem, and trying to think of how you could make better FPS bosses for Doom. Its not an easy ask. FPS bosses are usually pretty garbage. Destiny has finally started to do the kind of RPG boss design which makes for really cool FPS bosses, but it takes a TON of work to actually design and implement the kinds of mechanics you need to make for a challenging and also fun boss fight. And that's with full 3D, being limited to a few sprites facing different directions makes boss fights in Doom/Duke feel even more funky than in Quake-onwards.

And even Quake, like, they wanted to make boss fights but at the end of the day there's the one where you run in a circle and hit switches and the one where you jump in a portal to telefrag the boss... both are pretty lame.

Designing a good boss fight for Doom is really hard.
And I guess slaughtermaps kinda show that maybe its foolish, rather than try to make one big flashy tough enemy which doesn't play very well, better to just have 10,000 weak enemies that you get to blast one after another and at least get some satisfying feedback, compared to a giant cyberdemon with 10,000 hp who just sits there and tanks your shots for 10 minutes.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I do not like archviles, but I'm glad they exist so that I can hate them. Pain elementals I just don't like and not in a good way - maybe if they looked different? Like a skeletal cacodemon instead of a rubbish brown one.

I'm with you, I've always despised Archviles, but the meatballs always just seemed dumb and annoying to me in a different way. Cacos look way cooler and loving lost souls suck dick.

But I don't think the idea of a summoner enemy or spawner enemy is a bad idea per se. So I'm curious how you could like, "fix" the pain elemental. Like I was saying, maybe have them spawn imps instead of lost souls, something like that. Wouldn't work with how cacos can fly but IDK. Maybe instead of having a brown caco you have a purple hell knight that can summon imps? I could try modding something like that, see how it plays.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 31, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Actually, summoning imps only for them to fall into death pits sounds perfect.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

an_mutt posted:

alternatively:

rf1024 was by far one of my favorite WADs until they stated pulling the archvile abuse. It came to a point where I bound a key to kill archvile and hit it every time I started a map.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Actually, summoning imps only for them to fall into death pits sounds perfect.

I suppose that'd make them...

... lost souls :cool:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
let's post examples of good archvile use in maps. I'll start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-57grr-71w&t=1233s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF9AoGXoWA0&t=757s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epncHR4fR5M

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

let's post examples of good archvile use in maps. I'll start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-57grr-71w&t=1233s

This looks awful personally

He's just standing there firing like 60 rockets at a mosh pit of arch viles

And then they see him so his screen is full of fire and he just ducks in and out of cover firing so he can cancel the arch vile attack. Pretty boring.

I think the screen filling with fire is one of my biggest problems with the viles. You need something so you know they're attacking you with their range move, but it basically blinds you.

The later part of that video where he's fighting a billion cacos and imps in a big open room looks rad as gently caress though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Here's a map with an archvile surgically introduced to make you poo poo yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZAbgLfbz8

What are the next wad candidates?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

What are the next wad candidates?

I'm gonna make a big effort post on Friday. I'll select 4-5 of the WADs nominated thus far at random, post a short blurb and link to each of them, and then post a big weighted vote so everybody can say which they like and which they hate.

And then I'll just do my best to pick the one that gets the most response.

I've been collecting all the mentions in the thread so far into a sheet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Archvilles are the only enemy in Doom that have made me shout "Oh gently caress you!" out loud at their placement so they'll always have a special place in my heart. Probably behind a pillar or on top of a plinth a mile away.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

This looks awful personally

He's just standing there firing like 60 rockets at a mosh pit of arch viles

And then they see him so his screen is full of fire and he just ducks in and out of cover firing so he can cancel the arch vile attack. Pretty boring.

I think the screen filling with fire is one of my biggest problems with the viles. You need something so you know they're attacking you with their range move, but it basically blinds you.

The later part of that video where he's fighting a billion cacos and imps in a big open room looks rad as gently caress though.

That person has screen effects turned off which kind of obscures what's cool about that setup. They're fighting the viles on a 10 damage hurt floor and extra bio suits are on top of player lowerable pillars which are of course also what you're using as cover from getting instagibbed by 100 viles, so it's kind of a time pressure thing where you have to kill most of them before you run out of good ground. I think the player kind of trivialized it anyway by routing the map to come in with a full biosuit but I saw someone streaming it get stuck there a long time and thought it was pretty inventive. The possibility of just game overing there or otherwise trivializing it mighta been why it got rejected from Sunlust though.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 31, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

That person has screen effects turned off which kind of obscures what's cool about that setup. They're fighting the viles on a 10 damage hurt floor and extra bio suits are on top of player lowerable pillars which are of course also what you're using as cover from getting instagibbed by 100 viles, so it's kind of a time pressure thing where you have to kill most of them before you run out of good ground. I think the player kind of trivialized it anyway by routing the map to come in with a full biosuit but I saw someone streaming it get stuck there a long time and thought it was pretty inventive. The possibility of just game overing there mighta been why it got rejected from Sunlust though.

Azuruish does their runs TAS including like rewinding and poo poo for perfect runs. They're fun to watch, but they are absolutely not representative of the real play experience. Conversely, that's why he's one of the only people with a recorded playthrough of okuplok.wad (I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THE 6000 MONSTER SLAUGHTERMAP FOR THE CLUB).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

That person has screen effects turned off which kind of obscures what's cool about that setup. They're fighting the viles on a 10 damage hurt floor and extra bio suits are on top of player lowerable pillars which are of course also what you're using as cover from getting instagibbed by 100 viles, so it's kind of a time pressure thing where you have to kill most of them before you run out of good ground. I think the player kind of trivialized it anyway by routing the map to come in with a full biosuit but I saw someone streaming it get stuck there a long time and thought it was pretty inventive. The possibility of just game overing there or otherwise trivializing it mighta been why it got rejected from Sunlust though.

Ahh, okay. I didn't realize. Yeah, that's a cool mechanic. Although that video maybe not the best demonstration of it then.

Still, that's too many archviles! I like the idea of the room of nukage and you have to lower the suits to get protection but in doing so you lose cover, but maybe have like 2-3 arch viles and a ton of imps to give them cover and that they can resurrect or something.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Arivia posted:

Azuruish does their runs TAS including like rewinding and poo poo for perfect runs. They're fun to watch, but they are absolutely not representative of the real play experience. Conversely, that's why he's one of the only people with a recorded playthrough of okuplok.wad (I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THE 6000 MONSTER SLAUGHTERMAP FOR THE CLUB).

Oooh. I'd seen other people's TAS UV Max's and figured they just knit saves together so they could post a smoothe "demo" like video even if they couldn't beat the map deathless. Maybe they just max damage rolled every rocket and that's why it looked so much easier than when I saw someone streaming it.

e; yeah that's a fair take zaphod. I like "enough viles to probably oneshot you" but you could definitely manage the same setup with fewer pillars alongside fewer viles.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 31, 2019

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I want to nominate a wad but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called; I want to say it's something like Return To UAC but that's turning up nothing.

It's got a very atmospheric, slow opening, with (if I remember right) some time on a monotone planet surface before going underground to a UAC type base. Any ideas anyone?

Also can I have a wad club tag please :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

Oooh. I'd seen other people's TAS UV Max's and figured they just knit saves together so they could post a smoothe "demo" like video even if they couldn't beat the map deathless. Maybe they just max damage rolled every rocket and that's why it looked so much easier than when I saw someone streaming it.

I enjoy watching Doom playthrough videos on youtube (they're relaxing, I fall asleep to them), but outside of ones that are specifically listed as "I recorded a demo by j4rio or ancalagon" or something like that I would be skeptical that any of them are done deathless and that well. Azuruish just points out that they use all the tools in the TAS toolkit, not just stitching runs together.