Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

but how does Camacho factor in to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD2ZtJwRSiQ

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Alaois posted:

Him as Sin Cara would have been something to see for sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

Him as Sin Cara would have been something to see for sure.

THAT'S WHY HE AND TAMA WEAR THOSE HELMETS! :aaa:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DLC Inc posted:

"I will break your arms to provide my children with a better life" is a fantastic heel gimmick tbh
He didn't talk about his family, but Jake Roberts' gimmick in Mid-South was just "gently caress the fans and gently caress sportsmanship, I'm in it for the money."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't know how this answers my question, Tanga Loa is clearly not the same person, he's not even Mexican!

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Sidenote to all this Sin Cara-talk, it looked like he (Hunico) was getting to a good point when he and Kalisto had their NXT tag run, since Kalisto would do all the highflying and Sin Cara would be the stronger/power-guy, with his cool one-arm powerbomb move. Bummer that kinda went nowhere.

Sort of related (and probably already asked, but this thread is huge): who is the biggest, most high-profile wrestler to get signed by WWE to end up being a HUGE flop? Like, tons and tons of hype, initial big push, then slumming it on the preshow rumble matches within a year or so? Sin Cara (1&2) definitely fit this, but anyone else come to mind?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Balor

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Nakamura

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Scott Steiner

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Sort of related (and probably already asked, but this thread is huge): who is the biggest, most high-profile wrestler to get signed by WWE to end up being a HUGE flop? Like, tons and tons of hype, initial big push, then slumming it on the preshow rumble matches within a year or so? Sin Cara (1&2) definitely fit this, but anyone else come to mind?

Tazz is in the conversation for sure. Maybe DDP.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
KENTA might not be the biggest example but he’s probably one of the sadder ones

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Not the biggest flop (though technically :v:) but Paul Wight coming in was a big nothing for a while.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

akebono

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Not the biggest flop (though technically :v:) but Paul Wight coming in was a big nothing for a while.

Big Show never felt as dangerous or as over as Giant did. The Chokeslam was over.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can't say Nakamura because he won the Rumble and was huge in NXT, and Balor probably was on track to much more before Rollins murdered him. KENTA is up there but personally I feel like DDP was loving destroyed in WWE. Dude wanted to wrestle so bad he cut his AOL poo poo in half just to get in, only to be made an example of because WCW. Fantastic ring+promo talent, he could have done so much but because he was WCW they had to bury him harder than anyone else coming in. The whole InVasion angle was just a way to make everyone coming in look like poo poo except for RVD who got massively over.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gavok posted:

Maybe DDP.
theres no maybe imo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

would be easier to name pushes that did work

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I can't say Nakamura because he won the Rumble and was huge in NXT, and Balor probably was on track to much more before Rollins murdered him. KENTA is up there but personally I feel like DDP was loving destroyed in WWE. Dude wanted to wrestle so bad he cut his AOL poo poo in half just to get in, only to be made an example of because WCW. Fantastic ring+promo talent, he could have done so much but because he was WCW they had to bury him harder than anyone else coming in. The whole InVasion angle was just a way to make everyone coming in look like poo poo except for RVD who got massively over.

Well the question included "big initial push" so

You don't get much bigger of a fall over the course of a year than Royal Rumble Winner to Royal Rumble Preshow. Same with Balor, he won their brand new world championship in his 3rd match on the main roster, got injured, and has been in boring 6 month feud after boring 6 month feud ever since, with that Brock match this year being the most exciting thing he's done since 2017.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny how we all used to be baffled by how they could have screwed up the Invasion so badly cause with the benefit of hindsight it’s obvious Vince was pulling the same poo poo he pulls now even back then. He didn’t like that they were over, didn’t want them over, and made sure they didn’t get over

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

would be easier to name pushes that did work

AJ's like the only guy in the last few years that comes to mind as someone from the outside who came in, was protected really well and consistently was kept in view. Everyone else---Nakamura, Devitt, Joe, Zayn, Owens--has at some point been booked like a geek or left off the map creatively.

Aesop Poprock posted:

It’s funny how we all used to be baffled by how they could have screwed up the Invasion so badly cause with the benefit of hindsight it’s obvious Vince was pulling the same shot he pulls now even back then. He didn’t like that they were over, didn’t want them over, and made sure they didn’t get over

kind of a loving miracle that Chris Jericho came in with huge fanfare and was consistently utilized by the company in ways WCW never would have done for him. It's like a bizarro world thing.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I feel like WWE tried their best to sabotage Jericho immediately after his debut but he somehow got over in spite of his awful initial booking.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Jericho was booked awful for a while and only made it out because of his charisma and ability. Remember Mr. Hughes?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

It's kind of hilarious that the weed incident halted RVD's championship run. They let something relatively tame by today's standards basically ruin the relaunch of an entire brand. Who's to say he would've had a great championship run otherwise, but there were a ton of possibilities at the time. Plus he was capable of amazing ladder matches.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bartok posted:

I feel like WWE tried their best to sabotage Jericho immediately after his debut but he somehow got over in spite of his awful initial booking.

Trips had a personal dislike for him, which certainly didn't help

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah Jericho was booked awful for a while and only made it out because of his charisma and ability. Remember Mr. Hughes?

Or strapping Chyna to a chair and breaking her thumbs with a hammer.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

aj was booked as an absolute dork for the first ~5 months in, it was only because he kept getting over in spite of his booking that they decided to treat him like a main event player.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
do you think once Vince dies and AEW has been kicking their rear end for a while, the WWE is going to do Dominos Pizza-style commercials where Triple H explains how the product isn't bad anymore

edit: i thought this was the WWE discussion thread, but it could also go in this thread too

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

aj was booked as an absolute dork for the first ~5 months in, it was only because he kept getting over in spite of his booking that they decided to treat him like a main event player.

I remember them finding excuses every week to cut him off before he could actually deliver a promo for some reason, because he had a reputation from his TNA years as not a great promo despite improving massively near the end and while in New Japan. Same thing they're doing with EC3 basically, except he's not one of the best wrestlers on the planet so he can't brute force his way through the "they won't let me loving talk" stage of his career like AJ did.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AEW isn't competition yet, Vince will ignore it until it starts affecting the bottom line.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Randaconda posted:

AEW isn't competition yet, Vince will ignore it until it starts affecting the bottom line.

Vince is already trying to stomp them out before they become real competition.

It makes TNA even funnier in retrospec as wwe's strat to combat them was to just ignore them and let them destroy themselves.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Randaconda posted:

AEW isnt going to effect the WWE's bottom line for awhile cause of blood money and the TV deals but Vince is treating them like competition. See the comments to investors about not doing blood and guts and the 5 year deals

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Drew McIntyre posted:

do you think once Vince dies and AEW has been kicking their rear end for a while, the WWE is going to do Dominos Pizza-style commercials where Triple H explains how the product isn't bad anymore

edit: i thought this was the WWE discussion thread, but it could also go in this thread too

I had this same convo with my boss last week, loving weird

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Sidenote to all this Sin Cara-talk, it looked like he (Hunico) was getting to a good point when he and Kalisto had their NXT tag run, since Kalisto would do all the highflying and Sin Cara would be the stronger/power-guy, with his cool one-arm powerbomb move. Bummer that kinda went nowhere.

Sting

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Caristico didn't even get the big push. They started feuding him with Chavo within a month because Chavo MUST know lucha (he didn't) and then moved onto Matt Sydal who he actually had a cool match.

But he's definitely the most glaring example of how much their system sucks and the biggest star they've completely flopped with. His run in the mid 2000s is among the hottest in the history of the business and when he went back to Mexico he immediately went back to being a spectacular wrestler. But WWE completely dropped the ball. Much bigger star than Nakamura. Probably on the level as Vader but WWF got more out of Vader.

Barry Windham was a big flop but was also past his peak.

Randaconda posted:

He's already offering longer contracts with bigger guarantees so he's not ignoring AEW at all. Along with taking shots at them personally.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Vince is already getting ready to start positioning himself as the victim. Seth's idiotic interview about Moxley "taking food off [his] table" may or may not be Vince's words being spoken by Seth's mouth (I sure loving hope they are because if Seth actually thought that himself with no prompting then 1: not surprised, 2: still yikes) but you should absolutely expect Vince and Stephanie to start saying more or less this exact thing about AEW within the next year.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

So that's two that Rollins took out, along with Balor, anyone else?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh god

it's gonna be the 90s all over, where Vince portrays himself as an innocent victim again

:negative:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

oh god

it's gonna be the 90s all over, where Vince portrays himself as an innocent victim again

:negative:

I'm reminded of one of the WCW documentaries on the Network, perhaps the Monday Night Wars one, where Vince says something like "In business, you help yourself, not hurt the other person" with a completely straight face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

AEW isnt going to effect the WWE's bottom line for awhile cause of blood money and the TV deals but Vince is treating them like competition. See the comments to investors about not doing blood and guts and the 5 year deals

Plus that Evolve show counter-programming.