Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jaxyon posted:

Almost half of Michigan votes Republican. Trump's base is "white people".

Trump won Michigan by a tiny tiny margin and the biggest upset came from increased turnout of white people. There are plenty of "economically anxious" voters in Michigan, but for some reason the ones who bought into Trump were almost entirely white.

Must be his populist messaging, huh.

Yeah, the vast majority of the electoral map is locked in place. That's exactly why the effective targeted message on trade aimed at a specific subset of voters in a specific handful of vulnerable states was actually effective. It didn't have to be a popular message and it didn't even have to get too many extra people to vote for him, it was also about demoralizing people who might have voted for Hillary.

In Michigan in 2012 Obama beat Romney by just over ten points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Man it's wierd that mainly white people heard that message on trade.

We must have genetically different ears or something.

MrFlibble posted:

A lot of people stayed home because Clinton sucked harder than a turbo powered vacuum cleaner, hth.

Yeah and most of those were people who weren't going to get targeted by Trumps bigotry, white people gonna white.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

Well, kinda?

LOL look how pristine all of his gear is. What a loving piece of poo poo.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jaxyon posted:

Are you suggesting that no non-white people heard the messaging on trade and sat out as a result of it?

Genuinely curious if you're that loving racist and dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

We really are living in 1984 where all words have lost their meaning.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

MrFlibble posted:

Are you suggesting that no non-white people heard the messaging on trade and sat out as a result of it?

Genuinely curious if you're that loving racist and dumb.

I'm suggesting that white people who were drawn to Trump for "economic reasons" were also there for "racism reasons", probably more so.

And my evidence is that poor people went for hillary. Even poor whites, just by the smallest margin.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jaxyon posted:

I'm suggesting that white people who were drawn to Trump for "economic reasons" were also there for "racism reasons", probably more so.

And my evidence is that poor people went for hillary. Even poor whites, just by the smallest margin.

I do not disagree.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
After seeing all the lovely questions from the moderators last night, I get the feeling that they intentionally set up Biden with all the PoC candidates to help Biden out.

It's like they want to make a narrative about how this poor honest white man get besieged by all the ungrateful minorities on stage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HootTheOwl posted:

For the same reason I don't vote for a third party in the general election? If my choices are Evil (won 24 states) and Lesser Evil (also won 24 states) and Best Candidate (hasn't performed above 10% in any primary) I'm going to vote for Lesser Evil.

Post in the protest voting thread about it

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

HootTheOwl posted:

It's really not.
I mean I agree it is easy to reach stupid decisions like "Despite not being able to predict the future, I need to pre-consider voting for bad candidates", but if you're voting in state number 20 figuring out whether you preferred candidate has a chance in states 21 through 50 is actually quite difficult!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah and most of those were people who weren't going to get targeted by Trumps bigotry, white people gonna white.

America is a very racist country and the overwhelming majority of American whites are racist. Their anxiety about various issues like the economy is mediated through their culture and for most Americans that means economic anxiety is inseperable from racial anxiety. This is all elementary enough that I don't even think it needs to be said.

Despite their racism the voters of Michigan voted for Obama over Romney by more than 10% in 2012.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Marxalot posted:

Well, kinda?

millimeter
full
metal
jacket

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pete "Full Metal Jerkoff" Buttigieg

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Uglycat posted:

Many of you know me, but for those that don't...

I'm an antifa super-soldier from South Bend, Indiana. I'm tight with many of the local BLM and New Black Panther folk. I occupied here, in 2011, and our local occupy built a hell of a local politics machine. Pete was elected in nov 2011, just as the cold ran us off from camp. At the time, I worked as a concierge at the hotel on Notre Dame campus - I was the first person someone visiting the campus would encounter, if they were staying at their expensive fancy full-service independent hotel. While I was there, I got really good at customer service because I wanted people to walk away from the desk happy so I could get back to this forum. I studied philosophy and psychology at the public state university's local satellite campus, graduating in '05. In '08, #OpChanology became a thing, and (for my involvement, where two other goons and I created enturbulation.org and established functioning moderation policies, while engaged in high-level strategizing on how to defeat a cult) I was recruited to the hacker team #Marblecake by Gregg Housh. When I stepped down from marblecake (where I would have been described as 'writefag' and 'strategist'), Barrett Brown took over the role.

After occupy, I quit my job. I was given a camera and a bicycle. I spent half a decade living in this city (with Pete as mayor) couch surfing, photographing *everything*, posting it all public on FB, and building the culture here (and weaving the social network here as tight as I could get it, so everyone knows everyone).

further backstory - I graduated from St. Joseph High School in '98 (just before joining SA). Pete graduated in '00 - he mentions my brother's commitment to service in his valedictorian address. This is the same high school that produced governor Joe Kernan - who lives about a block from the food co-op I'm typing this at. Kernan was groomed for a possible run for President, as was Mitch Daniels and Mike Pence. Kernan never ascended beyond governor, but Pete was raised in his legacy.

Pete's parents were both professors at Notre Dame. One of the cool things about South Bend is that it's a place for people to solve the 'two body problem.' If you haven't heard of it, there's this thing where people find their passion in undergrad, get accepted to a top-tier grad school, meet a mate that shares their peculiar and specific passion, the 'two bodies' graduate, and post-doc work is the next thing on their list. At this point, it's extremely difficult for the (now married) post-docs to find work in the same geographic location. Often, one partner drops out of academia.

In South Bend, we have the University of Notre Dame, we have IU South Bend (my alma mater), we have Bethel College, we have St. Mary's college, we have the parochial school system, a decent(ish) public school system, a variety of community colleges and trade schools, etc - to say nothing of our top-of-the-line library system. It's a place for academicians to eke out a family life together. Pete is from this background. I am too.

When he took over as Mayor, it was on him to appoint a new chief of police. He chose a black man from the South Bend Police ranks, a man born not far from here, a man that has lived here much of his life. Chief Boykins.

When Chief Boykins took over, it was his prerogative to change the police station's wiretaps. Boykins did nothing with the wiretaps, leaving them just as they were before he was made chief. One of those existing wiretaps - on outgoing calls from the police station - is extremely illegal in a 'feds will investigate your deparment' sort of way.

Karen DePape, the communications director for the SBPD, had access to the tapes the machine was gathering. Some white pd were racist toward some black pd (and toward the chief). A tape was recorded of white officers referring to boykins (allegedly?) as a 'monkey' and a 'friend of the family.' Those tapes were brought to DePape's attention, and she sent them to the FBI (without talking to Pete's office). The FBI looked 'em over and said 'holy poo poo, that's hugely illegal, you can't tap the outgoing calls from the police station, if you don't fire the chief of police we will begin a federal investigation.' It was made clear at the time that if Pete ever listened to those tapes, he'd be subject to the federal investigation, and it would be bad enough for him to be removed from office in disgrace and his political career would be over. He has never listened to the tapes.

After Pete fired Boykins (I was there on the million hoodie march in south bend the morning Boykins was fired, and Boykins gave his final address to the crowd at the end of the march - I drove home, looked up the news coverage, and boykins' resignation had just hit the news then).

Then the Feds told pete he had to fire DePape too, and that if he does the investigation will be put to bed.

Obviously, this outcome is not in the least bit satisfying to the many brilliant, politically active african american residents. Efforts were made by some people - not all acting in good faith - to use this to attack him as he ran for re-election. He was re-elected with overwhelming support.

I've been an advocate for homeless rights in this town, and spent a good amount of time homeless in this town before I went travelling. I've lived in tents. Right now, I live on a bus that's operated by an OG Zuccotti Park occupier - the bus is parked in view right now, as I look out from the Purple Porch Food Co-op.

I first met the operator of this bus at the DNC in Philly - where I chalked 'KaineButtigieg2020' on the sidewalk following Hillary's nomination. Since then, I spent 3 months at Standing Rock, 2 months in Flint, some time in the Black Hills, the Inauguration (where I tore off my clothes and took a face and dick full of pepper spray to stop a line of riot cops from advancing) and I've helped with a dozen or so intentional communities.

Pete has flaws, for sure. But he's one of the most progressive mayors in the country as well. And mayors in the country are nowhere near progressive enough. He employs the very latest in 'evidence-based best practices', but best practices for mayors still involves some really dumb turn-of-the-century bullshit like bulldozing homeless camps and having a police force /at all/.

Oh yeah, Pete's dad - who recently passed away - taught marxist literature at Notre Dame, and was often the first signature (alphabetically) on protest letters to the Administration from Tenured professors.

He is a troop. I don't care for troops. He's a statist (obvs), I'm an anarchist. He's not perfect. I participated in the 1000-homes-in-1000-days thing, nobody bulldozed black people's homes while they lived in 'em. I lived in that part of town growing up - I was the poor white kid that got to go to parochial school for free. My paper route was in the heart of the blighted west side. When we began the program, we identified the thousand blighted abandoned houses, and efforts were made to reach out to the owners. I place signs outside each of those structures (well, there was a team, and I covered a chunk of the city) with yard signs that said 'hey this house seems to be abandoned if you have any interest in it or want to take it over get at us' and each house had a unique 2-d bar code. That part of town was immensely improved for the efforts.

Downtown is a story of gentrification, and I've been a voice in the ear of the administration and the land developers warning against the consequences of gentrification. I saw what's happening in Flint, and the horrible natural progression of gentrification in a capitalist city is playing out a lot less horribly here than there. And it's horrible.

The problems being put at Pete's feet are real problems. Cities are divided. Racism is real. Black Lives Matter. Gentrification sucks. There's the Combined Sewer Overflow problem. There's homeless folk hanging about on the south side of downtown, sleeping under awnings and using the library's internet while asking workers for spare change. There's a heroin epidemic.

Pete hasn't solved any of this, but he's keenly aware of them and seeking creative solutions. Ideologically, he's not anti-capitalist anarchist - but I think he's sympathetic to antifascism. He still fails to see Chelsea Manning as a hero, and thinks Snowden is the same flavor of awful person that Julian Assange is. If there's anybody that knows that Trump is bad for American cities, it's him. If there's anybody intimately familiar with the challenges of running a city government, it's him. And he's looking to do good, and to change the status quo.

He's definitely not a sociopath. He is a white dude with a mostly white cabinet. Which, again, is a cultural thing that must be challenged and changed. The Police here sucks - but they suck anywhere. In truth, having been a homeless man in a variety of cities over the last 2 years, South Bend is one of the nicest (which isn't saying much), and I'm presently squatting a 34-foot schoolbus (painted at Standing Rock) in the middle of the city, and nobody's giving me /poo poo/ for it. 'course, me an' the crew are all white.

So, yeah. I'm as intimately familiar with Pete the man, and the city of south Bend, as you'll /ever/ meet. And I've spent the last 8 years working to build him up as a viable candidate for the presidency - so in a sense he does have someone on this forum whispering in his ear, insofar as I post a lot on FB and he sees all of my (very radical) posts.

If Bernie were not in the race, Pete would be my man - but I did make a pledge (when it was hillary v. trump) not to endorse any candidate for president that doesn't regard Chelsea Manning as a hero. I'm still firm on that resolve - but it does matter to me which way the wind blows. I know that Pete would be a much better president than Biden, much much better than Trump. They say 'never let the perfect be the enemy of the good', and pete's imperfect for sure (though not deserving of the weakly-informed vitriol in this thread). But so far as dem candidates goes, he's one of the 'good' ones.

Bernie 2020! (still wish /he'd/ call Chelsea a hero :-/)

Pete . . . not bad?

Thanks for posting first-person on the ground direct experience, Uglycat. Keep on keepin' on.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Helsing posted:

America is a very racist country and the overwhelming majority of American whites are racist. Their anxiety about various issues like the economy is mediated through their culture and for most Americans that means economic anxiety is inseperable from racial anxiety. This is all elementary enough that I don't even think it needs to be said.

Despite their racism the voters of Michigan voted for Obama over Romney by more than 10% in 2012.

I'd love to see some breakdowns by county for MI in 2012 and 2016. I deeply suspect that the (black) Detroit population turned out for Obama and the (white) rural and Grand Rapids folks turned out for Trump.

I imagine that Obama giving GM a few billion federal dollars and saving Detroit's last lifeline probably earned him a few %

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Unoriginal Name posted:

I'd love to see some breakdowns by county for MI in 2012 and 2016. I deeply suspect that the (black) Detroit population turned out for Obama and the (white) rural and Grand Rapids folks turned out for Trump.

I imagine that Obama giving GM a few billion federal dollars and saving Detroit's last lifeline probably earned him a few %

I will do this later, along with my bad memories from 2016. Essentially, the Clinton campaign went out of their way to keep people from campaigning in Michigan because the state was already won, and they knew better. They were incredibly angry at anyone trying to rally or GOTV in Michigan, including towards President Obama and Detroit's mayor.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Clinton seriously underperformed among black and Latino voters, actually - to a degree where it can't be entirely explained by voter suppression. Indeed, there was evidence of this before the election.

e: Also 2016 voters were whiter than non-voters, so the whole premise of your argument here is pretty suspect.

e2: And here's a piece showing that voter suppression efforts can't fully account for Clinton's low turnout among POC voters.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 31, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

AsInHowe posted:

I will do this later, along with my bad memories from 2016. Essentially, the Clinton campaign went out of their way to keep people from campaigning in Michigan because the state was already won, and they knew better. They were incredibly angry at anyone trying to rally or GOTV in Michigan, including towards President Obama and Detroit's mayor.

I knew things were suddenly hosed up when on election day I went to phone bank and they had us calling Michigan, when during the entire campaign we had been calling Nevada (primarily to help Cortez Masto with her Senate run)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Glasses Optional posted:

So i was doing research on what other goons said, and then this post comes and makes me call into question the other negative stuff being said about Bootlejugs.

Why's that? It doesn't really say anything beyond "sure, Pete's bad, but I personally like him, even though I don't support him for president because he's still too bad for me". It doesn't exactly make a convincing case for why Pete should be president.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Marxalot posted:

tHe MeDiA iSn'T bIaSeD

The media sure as gently caress does, and you’re a fool if you believe their denial of it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tylersayten posted:

The media sure as gently caress does, and you’re a fool if you believe their denial of it.

Thankfully, not getting along with the mainstream media is A Good Thing in elections nowadays.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

Clinton seriously underperformed among black and Latino voters, actually - to a degree where it can't be entirely explained by voter suppression. Indeed, there was evidence of this before the election.

e: Also 2016 voters were whiter than non-voters, so the whole premise of your argument here is pretty suspect.

e2: And here's a piece showing that voter suppression efforts can't fully account for Clinton's low turnout among POC voters.

I'm not sure how the election being whiter when trump is blowing the racism horn undercuts my argument, but Trump won Michigan by 10k votes and that's well within what voter suppression can do.

I also agree that Hillary ran a lovely campaign and had lovely policy positions, and I also think that a lot of people didn't vote from her because they were sexist and internalized years of GOP smears.

I think we can talk about hillary running a lovely campaign and having bad stances AND talk about racism/sexism. If we don't, we're not going to have a full view of the election.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I'm not sure how the election being whiter when trump is blowing the racism horn undercuts my argument, but Trump won Michigan by 10k votes and that's well within what voter suppression can do.

Except that - and you would know this if you read the Vox piece I posted - there weren't any new voting restrictions passed in Michigan by 2016.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nearly 90,000 voters in michigan left president blank (that's nearly double from 2012).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: forget it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Whatever happened to Bernie’s crazy Supreme Court Judge rotation strategy from the first debate?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Whatever happened to Bernie’s crazy Supreme Court Judge rotation strategy from the first debate?

The moderators didn't ask about the courts. Jeffrey Toobin was whining about this on twitter last night, apparently unaware that his own network just completely forgot to ask.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm all in for Bernie but Warren did exceptionally well last night and I think a lot of internet leftists aren't allowing themselves to recognize that.

The problem with Warren is that she’s the public option candidate who has a chance, while Bernie is the universal/single-payer/left candidate who has a chance. The public option is loving bad because it will be nothing more than a punching bag for the private health industry and capitalists - and by extension, the entire corporate media apparatus - to use as “proof” that “leftism” doesn’t work during and after they continuously gut funds to it.

This isn’t even mentioning how the public option will won’t be comprehensive coverage to begin with due to being in “competition” with private insurance. You know how Medicare doesn’t cover everything that private plans do? The public option will be like that but on steroids.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Unoriginal Name posted:

Framing Mitt Romney as the monopoly man probably also helped. Just like Trump hitting Clinton over NAFTA and her years of "bad" experience resonated with the very specific crowd that

As far as explaining it all with a strictly racial explanation, I'm not sure how well that works.

Bay County in Michigan voted for Obama twice. His margin of victory in 2008 was 15 percent. In 2012 was it was 5%. In 2016 Trump won with a margin of 10%. The population is 91% white.

Calhoun Country in Michigan voted for Obama twice. His margin in 2008 was 9.36%, in 2012 it was 1.60%. Trump won with a margin of victory of 12.46%. Calhoun country is 79.8% white.

Isabella County in Michigan voted for Obama twice. His margin went from 19.26% to 9.28%. In 2016 Trump won with a margin of 3.66%. The population is 91.51% white.

So far as I can tell all the state and federal reps for these areas are still Democrats. Also glancing through the other Obama-Obama-Trump counties is so far giving roughly similar demographics to these ones.

Here's the full list of "pivot" counties for Michigan for anyone curious to glance through them.

White people became much more self consciousness of themselves as white in the time between 2012 and 2016 and that can obviously account for some of the shift in voting sentiment, but the idea that trade literally played no role in these swings seems hard to sustain. Many of these are voters who were more than willing to support a black person for President even if they wouldn't have happily greeted him as a neighbor or as a partner for one of their children. Racism plays a key role in explaining Trump's victory but it's not sufficient on its own to explain these numbers.

AsInHowe posted:

As I recall it was worse than this (though I'm going off my memory of reading Shattered while on an international plane flight so maybe my recall here isn't perfect): didn't they have internal polling showing that every time people in Michigan were reminded that Clinton was the nominee they became less inclined to show up and vote? I could swear reading that there was actually a calculated decision to avoid big campaign events because the more people heard about the candidate the less they liked.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Pete . . . not bad?

Thanks for posting first-person on the ground direct experience, Uglycat. Keep on keepin' on.

i'm gonna be honest, this carries a meaningful amount of weight for me

still doesn't bring buttigieg up above, like, distant third or fourth, but

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm all in for Bernie but Warren did exceptionally well last night and I think a lot of internet leftists aren't allowing themselves to recognize that.

She did well, and the fact that it wasn't just Bernie up there defending leftist proposals was A Good Thing. She'll never be as good as he is, but I'm glad she was there. I think most leftists would agree.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thanks for the words, Uglycat. This is a good counterpoint to some of the looser elements of the Current Affairs Pete critique.

However, this makes me even more convinced that Pete basically sucks. Nothing in your telling really speaks to a guy who gives a poo poo about serving his community rather than advancing his own political career. And yeah, if you join the loving army to bolster your political credentials you are pathetic scum wedded to American imperialism and deserve to only experience failure and shame in your life.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Helsing posted:

As far as explaining it all with a strictly racial explanation, I'm not sure how well that works.

The explanation is NOT strictly racial.

It's just not strictly NON racial.

Or NON gender.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jaxyon posted:

Whites just have more fast twitch stereocilia.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

The explanation is NOT strictly racial.

It's just not strictly NON racial.

Or NON gender.

But no one even remotely suggested that it was strictly non-racial or non-gender. You objected to people suggesting that it was even partially economic/trade-influenced.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Uglycat posted:

Many of you know me, but for those that don't...

I'm an antifa super-soldier from South Bend, Indiana. I'm tight with many of the local BLM and New Black Panther folk. I occupied here, in 2011, and our local occupy built a hell of a local politics machine. Pete was elected in nov 2011, just as the cold ran us off from camp. At the time, I worked as a concierge at the hotel on Notre Dame campus - I was the first person someone visiting the campus would encounter, if they were staying at their expensive fancy full-service independent hotel. While I was there, I got really good at customer service because I wanted people to walk away from the desk happy so I could get back to this forum. I studied philosophy and psychology at the public state university's local satellite campus, graduating in '05. In '08, #OpChanology became a thing, and (for my involvement, where two other goons and I created enturbulation.org and established functioning moderation policies, while engaged in high-level strategizing on how to defeat a cult) I was recruited to the hacker team #Marblecake by Gregg Housh. When I stepped down from marblecake (where I would have been described as 'writefag' and 'strategist'), Barrett Brown took over the role.

After occupy, I quit my job. I was given a camera and a bicycle. I spent half a decade living in this city (with Pete as mayor) couch surfing, photographing *everything*, posting it all public on FB, and building the culture here (and weaving the social network here as tight as I could get it, so everyone knows everyone).

further backstory - I graduated from St. Joseph High School in '98 (just before joining SA). Pete graduated in '00 - he mentions my brother's commitment to service in his valedictorian address. This is the same high school that produced governor Joe Kernan - who lives about a block from the food co-op I'm typing this at. Kernan was groomed for a possible run for President, as was Mitch Daniels and Mike Pence. Kernan never ascended beyond governor, but Pete was raised in his legacy.

Pete's parents were both professors at Notre Dame. One of the cool things about South Bend is that it's a place for people to solve the 'two body problem.' If you haven't heard of it, there's this thing where people find their passion in undergrad, get accepted to a top-tier grad school, meet a mate that shares their peculiar and specific passion, the 'two bodies' graduate, and post-doc work is the next thing on their list. At this point, it's extremely difficult for the (now married) post-docs to find work in the same geographic location. Often, one partner drops out of academia.

In South Bend, we have the University of Notre Dame, we have IU South Bend (my alma mater), we have Bethel College, we have St. Mary's college, we have the parochial school system, a decent(ish) public school system, a variety of community colleges and trade schools, etc - to say nothing of our top-of-the-line library system. It's a place for academicians to eke out a family life together. Pete is from this background. I am too.

When he took over as Mayor, it was on him to appoint a new chief of police. He chose a black man from the South Bend Police ranks, a man born not far from here, a man that has lived here much of his life. Chief Boykins.

When Chief Boykins took over, it was his prerogative to change the police station's wiretaps. Boykins did nothing with the wiretaps, leaving them just as they were before he was made chief. One of those existing wiretaps - on outgoing calls from the police station - is extremely illegal in a 'feds will investigate your deparment' sort of way.

Karen DePape, the communications director for the SBPD, had access to the tapes the machine was gathering. Some white pd were racist toward some black pd (and toward the chief). A tape was recorded of white officers referring to boykins (allegedly?) as a 'monkey' and a 'friend of the family.' Those tapes were brought to DePape's attention, and she sent them to the FBI (without talking to Pete's office). The FBI looked 'em over and said 'holy poo poo, that's hugely illegal, you can't tap the outgoing calls from the police station, if you don't fire the chief of police we will begin a federal investigation.' It was made clear at the time that if Pete ever listened to those tapes, he'd be subject to the federal investigation, and it would be bad enough for him to be removed from office in disgrace and his political career would be over. He has never listened to the tapes.

After Pete fired Boykins (I was there on the million hoodie march in south bend the morning Boykins was fired, and Boykins gave his final address to the crowd at the end of the march - I drove home, looked up the news coverage, and boykins' resignation had just hit the news then).

Then the Feds told pete he had to fire DePape too, and that if he does the investigation will be put to bed.

Obviously, this outcome is not in the least bit satisfying to the many brilliant, politically active african american residents. Efforts were made by some people - not all acting in good faith - to use this to attack him as he ran for re-election. He was re-elected with overwhelming support.

I've been an advocate for homeless rights in this town, and spent a good amount of time homeless in this town before I went travelling. I've lived in tents. Right now, I live on a bus that's operated by an OG Zuccotti Park occupier - the bus is parked in view right now, as I look out from the Purple Porch Food Co-op.

I first met the operator of this bus at the DNC in Philly - where I chalked 'KaineButtigieg2020' on the sidewalk following Hillary's nomination. Since then, I spent 3 months at Standing Rock, 2 months in Flint, some time in the Black Hills, the Inauguration (where I tore off my clothes and took a face and dick full of pepper spray to stop a line of riot cops from advancing) and I've helped with a dozen or so intentional communities.

Pete has flaws, for sure. But he's one of the most progressive mayors in the country as well. And mayors in the country are nowhere near progressive enough. He employs the very latest in 'evidence-based best practices', but best practices for mayors still involves some really dumb turn-of-the-century bullshit like bulldozing homeless camps and having a police force /at all/.

Oh yeah, Pete's dad - who recently passed away - taught marxist literature at Notre Dame, and was often the first signature (alphabetically) on protest letters to the Administration from Tenured professors.

He is a troop. I don't care for troops. He's a statist (obvs), I'm an anarchist. He's not perfect. I participated in the 1000-homes-in-1000-days thing, nobody bulldozed black people's homes while they lived in 'em. I lived in that part of town growing up - I was the poor white kid that got to go to parochial school for free. My paper route was in the heart of the blighted west side. When we began the program, we identified the thousand blighted abandoned houses, and efforts were made to reach out to the owners. I place signs outside each of those structures (well, there was a team, and I covered a chunk of the city) with yard signs that said 'hey this house seems to be abandoned if you have any interest in it or want to take it over get at us' and each house had a unique 2-d bar code. That part of town was immensely improved for the efforts.

Downtown is a story of gentrification, and I've been a voice in the ear of the administration and the land developers warning against the consequences of gentrification. I saw what's happening in Flint, and the horrible natural progression of gentrification in a capitalist city is playing out a lot less horribly here than there. And it's horrible.

The problems being put at Pete's feet are real problems. Cities are divided. Racism is real. Black Lives Matter. Gentrification sucks. There's the Combined Sewer Overflow problem. There's homeless folk hanging about on the south side of downtown, sleeping under awnings and using the library's internet while asking workers for spare change. There's a heroin epidemic.

Pete hasn't solved any of this, but he's keenly aware of them and seeking creative solutions. Ideologically, he's not anti-capitalist anarchist - but I think he's sympathetic to antifascism. He still fails to see Chelsea Manning as a hero, and thinks Snowden is the same flavor of awful person that Julian Assange is. If there's anybody that knows that Trump is bad for American cities, it's him. If there's anybody intimately familiar with the challenges of running a city government, it's him. And he's looking to do good, and to change the status quo.

He's definitely not a sociopath. He is a white dude with a mostly white cabinet. Which, again, is a cultural thing that must be challenged and changed. The Police here sucks - but they suck anywhere. In truth, having been a homeless man in a variety of cities over the last 2 years, South Bend is one of the nicest (which isn't saying much), and I'm presently squatting a 34-foot schoolbus (painted at Standing Rock) in the middle of the city, and nobody's giving me /poo poo/ for it. 'course, me an' the crew are all white.

So, yeah. I'm as intimately familiar with Pete the man, and the city of south Bend, as you'll /ever/ meet. And I've spent the last 8 years working to build him up as a viable candidate for the presidency - so in a sense he does have someone on this forum whispering in his ear, insofar as I post a lot on FB and he sees all of my (very radical) posts.

If Bernie were not in the race, Pete would be my man - but I did make a pledge (when it was hillary v. trump) not to endorse any candidate for president that doesn't regard Chelsea Manning as a hero. I'm still firm on that resolve - but it does matter to me which way the wind blows. I know that Pete would be a much better president than Biden, much much better than Trump. They say 'never let the perfect be the enemy of the good', and pete's imperfect for sure (though not deserving of the weakly-informed vitriol in this thread). But so far as dem candidates goes, he's one of the 'good' ones.

Bernie 2020! (still wish /he'd/ call Chelsea a hero :-/)

I mean, this is interesting but it does nothing to explain why he thought things like 'hey poors, fix your ugly house so we can gentrify better or we'll flatten em even while you're living there' and 'let's just jack up civil fines, a thing I absolutely understand will hurt the poor and minorities the worst' were cool ideas to him, and why he does poo poo like 'I'm gonna join the literal safest possible form of the military for six months right before getting into politics so I can say insane things like 'if you make me the nominee Donald Trump will have to explain TO A VETERAN why he dodged the draft' as if Trump won't just make a mouth fart noise'.

Like, yea, he's not a sociopath, but you're not really offering anything other than 'no see I know him so I promise I know he cares about these things' when his actual record speaks to nothing but elitism and apathy to these issues. All this post really did was remind me that his dad was way cooler than Pete ever was and it blows he didn't get into politics.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

But no one even remotely suggested that it was strictly non-racial or non-gender. You objected to people suggesting that it was even partially economic/trade-influenced.

No, I didn't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

No, I didn't.

Yeah, you kind of did:

Jaxyon posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Majorian posted:

She did well, and the fact that it wasn't just Bernie up there defending leftist proposals was A Good Thing. She'll never be as good as he is, but I'm glad she was there. I think most leftists would agree.

As someone else put it:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's also pretty fascinating to watch the effect on centrist psychology. One person in a room talking progressive policy is an extremist, who needs to be shut up immediately. Two people talking progressive policy is a consensus, that they all start to instinctively triangulate towards.

This is also why I'm glad Marianne and her anti-imperialism is in the primary. It's embarrassing that people are getting angry about Marianne but not about the people who loyally support the American war machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

Yeah, you kind of did:

I like how that goalpost already shifted to "kinda".

That quote doesn't support what you said.