Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My main thought about Chicago by Night (v5) is that I mentioned at the time that the vampire drag queen was possibly super-problematic and they agreed to take a look at it, but in the end changed absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Mendrian posted:

I've been reading long screeds about why it's bad that I largely agreed with after my own reading. There's nothing wrong or ~confusing~ about that but I just saw a whole page of driveby posts about how much V5 owns and I mean, I'd like to know why people feel that way. They don't have to explain themselves to me but I certainly am curious what it is they like.

The new systems are neat, the streamlining of a lot of things is easy and fun to work with. Disciplines being changed up is also pretty cool. Celerity/Potence weren't sexy in v20 but celerity was an absolute gamebreaker, but boring. Those two disciplines with the expanded powers (as well as other disciplines) are pretty cool. You can have two vampires with the same two discipline spreads but have a different build/concept from a stat standpoint. Hunger dice mechanic is fun and I like the move away from the blood pool. The second inquisition stuff in the metaplot is interesting but easily ignored if players/ST aren't really a fan.

If your only exposure to it is just reading people madposting about it I hope my post helped out somehow.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Oberst posted:

I dont think you understand how oceanic water pressure works???

I'm laughing at unironic puffy deepsea vampire looking like lovely blobfish

that was one of my first concepts, they'd be like uber sleek deep sea predators who look like absolute poo poo when they come to the surface. i ditched the idea cause nobody runs campaigns on the ocean floor.

i could still write em up a little bit, it could be cool if the ghouls they make gain resistance to the ocean depths so they have a little slave society down there and live off gross deep sea fish.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ted Cruz is a longtime ghoul to one of the blobfish. They're pro drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, because it brings riggers out to feed on.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The Benthic Kings

There's a legend among the Kindred, one reaching back centuries, of vampires who had grown so fully detached from humanity that they sought refuge from the sun in the deepest recesses of the ocean. Down in the darkness, miles from the light of day, pursuing goals inhuman and unknownable. Puissant, monstrous elders.

The tale is regarded as fantasy by most. Where would such beasts obtain the lifeblood to sustain them? The cold veins of deep sea fish are unlikely to sustain even the least potent vampire for long. And besides, a number of Kindred have tried to reach those depths over the years, and none have survived. The unliving physiology might allow them to dive further than any human, and they certainly don't require oxygen, but the pressures of the abyssal zone are another matter entirely. Those would-be lords of the deep found themselves crushed into torpor, then into final death as they drift on downwards.

But in each legend there is always a grain of truth.

Many of the Gangrel trace their clan's origin to the sea, viewing themselves as sharks in human skin, birthed onto the shore to prey on that which the ocean could not reach. Some, long ago, sought to return.

The project required uncharacteristic patience. Those who rushed in very quickly found their final deaths. This homecoming had to be done in stages, over years and years. Moving deeper and deeper, using their mutable flesh and unholy resilience to reshape themselves into something that could handle the deep. They slept in coffins they dragged along the sea floor, to hide themselves from what little sun could reach them. They marked their progress with clumps of bouyant seaweed they tied to long ropes and floated up to the surface. They fed from airtight barrels of blood their surface-dwelling kin dropped from boats in the night.

Until one night, they vanished. No further progress was marked. An Auspex Master of the Mekhet was brought in, but all his astral form perceived was empty coffins and abandoned barrels. The Gangrel beneath the waves were gone, most likely having succumbed to madness from the stress and isolation of their grand project. They were mourned, and then forgotten.

Diving is one of the deadliest professions on earth. The death rate is staggering, as is the number of causes of those deaths. One slip in judgement is all it takes, but the deeper a person dives the more they run the risk of nitrogen narcosis, the pressure forcing gasses in the breathing mixture to diffuse into nervous tissue, intoxicating the diver and impairing their mind. Many have died from it, and many are never recovered. To send another down to that depths is to expose them to the exact same risk, and many corpse recovery dives merely result in the addition of another to the tally.

But not all of those divers die, and not all cases of narcosis are what they seem. Some who dive to the greatest depths may begin to hear a voice in their mind, a siren song that clouds their thoughts and lures them from their task. They follow it, and find the answer to one of the greatest mysteries of vampire legend.

Beneath the waves the Benthic Kings appear as sleek, aquatic horrors. Pale figures that float in the blackness with eerie serenity. Centuries away from the tyrant sun has let their blood grow wild and strange, distorting their bodies and their minds. Their skin resembles the pale, bacterial slime of decaying flesh that coats the abyssal floor, and their vitae tastes as foul as the killing-water of a deep sea cold seep. Their bodies are have taken on many aspects of the creatures whose home they share. Bulbous, black eyes; Translucent, needle-like fangs; fingers as flexible as tentacles, that curl with the currents like a drowning victim's hair. One could be forgiven for not even recognising them as vampires at all.

And on those rare occasions they venture above their abyssal realm, their appearance gets even worse. Like the famous blobfish, their tissues expand grotesquely when freed from the pressures they are accustomed to. It's hardly pleasant for the vampire involved, but the experience can no more kill them than the ocean depths could.

This hardiness transfers to their ghouls too. One bound by blood to these monsters gains the power to survive the deeps, to breathe water. It carries with it the surface pressure ugliness too, although to a lesser extend. Formerly fit and trim divers become flabby, fish-faced creeps once under the ownership of the Benthic Kings.

The Benthic Kings maintain their small fiefdoms in oceanic trenches, building perverse cities out of basalt and populating them with transformed ghoul minions. None escape: they require more vitae than the average ghoul to sustain them at those depths, and would run out long before they could reach the shore. One King even claims to have a famous director in his thrall, who reportedly vanished when his deep sea submersible ruptured.

Some of the most trusted ghouls are allowed to return to the surface, where they work to expand oil drilling operations, salvage diving, deep sea research labs. Anything that brings more mortals within reach of the Benthic Kings. Some are even under orders to spread rumours that the fabled Atlantis has been found, naturally within their master's domain. A mage foolish enough to believe that is a mage foolish enough to wind up blood-bound, a very desirable tool indeed.

Strangest of all, those ghouls who do return to the surface find themselves pining for the deep. They miss the taste of salt, of benthic seafood, the comforting weight of the water. Perhaps that is why they are allowed to leave in the first place: their masters know they will always come home in the end.

Parent Clan: Gangrel
Nicknames: Anglerfish, Deep Ones
Covenants: Given their remote habitat, Covenant membership is usually a fairly minor part of any Benthic King's life, but two covenants have reached out in recent times. The Ordo Dracul, spurred by the ancient legends of vampires beneath the sea and what that might mean for the mutability of the vampire form, began to track missing divers by geographical location. In locations that saw spikes, with seemingly no mundane cause, the Ordo deployed a handful of ghouls as divers, and waited for the inevitable. Since establishing contact with the Benthic Kings there have been several submarine visits, and a couple of the Kings have shown real interest in contributing to the cause.
The Invictus, on the other hand, discovered the Benthics by far more mundane means. They found ghouls of unknown origin meddling in the corridors of power, and after only a moderate amount of torture, made contact with the Kings. Being inducted into wider vampire aristocracy naturally appeals to the Kings, and the idea of extended their reach to even miles beneath the sea appeals to the Invictus. The Benthic Kingdoms barely qualify as an arena of power, but they ARE an arena of power, so it would not do for the Invictus to be absent.
The Carthians and Lancia Et Sanctum hold little interest for any of the Benthics. Political change is non-existent beneath the waves, and their kingdoms far predate Christ and his upstart religion.
Appearance: In their natural habitat the Benthic Kings resemble pale, slender corpses, their wide mouths stuffed with needle-like fangs. Their eyes are large and black, their noses barely nubs. They favour minimal clothing that will not rot or rust, or impede their swimming, so gold or silver chainmail (worked by hand from coins found in shipwrecks) loincloths and shawls are popular. Jewelry, likewise looted from sunken vessels, the more the better. Kings wear crowns, and these kings favour circlets adorned with thin spikes of obsidian.
Havens: Nightmarish basalt cities in abyssal trenches, most often near a convenient volcanic vent, or very rarely pressurised habitats on the surface if their presence is required there long-term.
Backgrounds: Benthic Kings embrace very rarely, and nearly always from trusted, long-term ghouls. In turn the ghouls are drawn primarily from divers, marines scientists, and oil derrick workers.
Disciplines: Animalism, Protean, Resilience, Narcosis
Weakness: As well as the Gangrel weakness, Benthic Kings are hideous enough to also suffer from the Nosferatu clan weakness. Additionally, a Benthic King rising to the surface takes 6 points of bashing damage as his tissues bloat and rupture. Rising over the course of a day can prevent this, but most Kings regard it as faster to rise quickly and just heal the damage over a couple of hours. While suffering from this bloating (ie still has points of bashing damage un-healed) the King's speed is reduced by 1.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 31, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Ted Cruz is a longtime ghoul to one of the blobfish. They're pro drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, because it brings riggers out to feed on.

This was such a great idea i stole it, sorry about that

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Crabtree posted:

And I guess no matter what sort of creature you are, the biggest super natural that is likely gonna be your enemy no doubt is a mage, because you are nothing but a laundry list of powerful and rare ingredients, reagents, raw magic free of any sort of consequences from Paradox to utilize.

Not really. Mages don't need ingredients that much. They may be able to use a Beast or a Vampire as a sacrament in a yantra, but there are easier ways to cast spells. Ones that don't involve hunting a powerful supernatural creature and risk the wrath of its society.

I imagine a Beast can make a decent Mystery for a Mastigos, someone obsessed with artificial souls or even a Thyrsus who sees similarities between getting Claimed by a spirit and a goetia. Other than that, they are purely things you need to get rid of to stop your Hallow for getting clogged with fear resonance.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just lol if you don't think the Invictus doesn't stretch its power even deep beneath the waves. Just 3 or 4 Benthic Kings having Elysium in a sunken pirate ship gossiping.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just lol if you don't think the Invictus doesn't stretch its power even deep beneath the waves. Just 3 or 4 Benthic Kings having Elysium in a sunken pirate ship gossiping.

one of them has his ghouls make him some gucci clothes out of seashells just so he can lord it over the others.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I'm guessing part of the reason V5 is starting to get more favorable looks is that Swede Dracula and his aging edgelord posse aren't constantly making GBS threads in the pool and then drawing everyone's attention to that.

Mechanically, V5 was and is decent. Its certainly better than classic WoD, though that's such a low bar I wouldn't consider it an achievement. How it stacks up to chronicles is more debatable, but at the very least the mechanics are competent enough that you can make comparisons between the two.

For the most part though, that wasn't the issue that got V5 panned in a lot of quarters. Hunger dice and some of the feeding stuff was divisive, but other than that, the mechanics didn't seem to draw much ire. The setting changes, many of which were clumsy or poorly defined, were a turnoff to a lot of people. The supplements tryhard edginess feeling pretty absurd in 2019, even before some of it managed to cause an international incident. Even in Chicago by Night, the whole "Lasombra defection" feels like a clumsy and hamfisted push by one of their larper friends who really wanted to play the clan but didn't have a sabbat game around.

But they're gone now, and while we've still got to deal with some of their stupid larp homebrew poo poo, at least in Chicago by Night it reads much more competent if still working with in some dumb setting frameworks that were thrown up. So people are starting to notice the good bits buried under the bad.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I edited the benthics a bit. Thanks for the idea about the invictus, Lord Hambrose, it was a good one.

I was going to make up a new discipline for them, but I dunno whether to just give them majesty. it would fit for a king, and make more sense as to how they would maintain their ghouls in such a horrible place.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I edited the benthics a bit. Thanks for the idea about the invictus, Lord Hambrose, it was a good one.

I was going to make up a new discipline for them, but I dunno whether to just give them majesty. it would fit for a king, and make more sense as to how they would maintain their ghouls in such a horrible place.

I feel a majesty/nightmare mashup would be more appropriate. Attraction and mesmerism and strange beckoning visions to throw prey off guard.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

This was such a great idea i stole it, sorry about that

It was freely given! Great write up.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Do the Pentacles of Solomon show up in any (current) games? I'm doing a series of poems where I describe them as otherworldly beings from the standpoint that these seals represent the algorythmic elements of the body of God and I could probably cook up a 5 point list of powers for each, related to their description in the book itself.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Do the Pentacles of Solomon show up in any (current) games? I'm doing a series of poems where I describe them as otherworldly beings from the standpoint that these seals represent the algorythmic elements of the body of God and I could probably cook up a 5 point list of powers for each, related to their description in the book itself.

The Key of Solomon is not directly referenced in any WoD stuff, as far as I know, though it obviously played a certain inspirational role in astral goetia for nMage. I know some folks who are working on the demons of the Lesser Key as Guides for Scion. (They aren't potent enough to be gods by any stretch, but they're plenty handy to have around.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I figured out that a big thing I dislike about V5 is that it feels like it's got two editions' books' worth of metaplot updates crammed into a single book. Just say things quieted down after the Gehenna scare fizzled and now events are heating up, and make changes on the scale of those found in V2 or V3. This whole "here's what's been happening over the past span of time equal to the entire time the game was being published" feels like too much too fast and leaves me feeling like the setting changes are more radical than they probably are.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I dont think anyone in this thread actually plays the games

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Mostly just reading for fluff and chances to pearl clutch because of the unironic belief that a vampire story book for friends got people killed

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Mendrian posted:

I've been reading long screeds about why it's bad that I largely agreed with after my own reading. There's nothing wrong or ~confusing~ about that but I just saw a whole page of driveby posts about how much V5 owns and I mean, I'd like to know why people feel that way. They don't have to explain themselves to me but I certainly am curious what it is they like.

Edit: Renaissance Nerd for instance gave some things they liked.

I'd play a v5 game with you just to show how much fun it is

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

E - yeah actually if it means I’m on 👆that guy’s side then maybe V5 is bad

Mendrian posted:

I mean it's cool, like what you like and welcome to the thread. I'm just curious where all these people are coming from who are hepped up on v5 when the thread has basically been, at best, "couple cool ideas, mixed execution" about the whole thing. Did something expose a bunch of new people to V5?

At the very least you have to admit that the people in this thread are v experienced WoD long-timers and are super familiar with the mechanics and lore of most/all of the books, which is not the norm

Most of my TTRPG experience is a grab bag of DnD, PBTA, Fudge variants and some V20 so mechanically I think V5 expresses its intention a lot better and a lot cleaner than pretty much any other game I’ve played (other than maybe CoC)

So, to offer opposition, it feels like the strongest dislike of the game from in here is about some group of shithead nazis who put their shithead Nazi ideas in, which based on my understanding from lurking in here were removed?

Tl;dr - I like game, thread does not like game for reasons that feel like inside baseball/shop talk that your average V5 player wouldn’t have ever even heard about.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oberst posted:

I dont think anyone in this thread actually plays the games

Not for want of trying.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
New books always set trolls loose.

Anyways, in my V5 campaign my Brujah's touchstone is his mortal (adult) granddaughter who is ignorant of her grandfather's uh, affliction. The ST has another player characters' (who has siren feeding type and thus a 1 dot spurned lover enemy flaw) flaw who is currently banging my characters touchstone.

Am I being vampirically cucked? If I harm this 1 dot flaw would it put a stain on my characters humanity to kill her lover?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Not for want of trying.

Am I going to have to run a game for all the lost souls in this thread

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok we get that you like V5 just marry it already

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
V5 looks cool and there's a bunch of elements of its design that I like, but it really annoys me how well it maintains XP parity in its array-based chargen options only to throw it out the window entirely when you choose your "predator style" and get a single free discipline dot that might end up turning a 0 to a 1 OR a 2 to a 3. I'm also curious as to how well the combat system works in practice, and whether the social "combat" system works out especially given that your willpower pool doubles as a health track.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

V5 looks cool and there's a bunch of elements of its design that I like, but it really annoys me how well it maintains XP parity in its array-based chargen options only to throw it out the window entirely when you choose your "predator style" and get a single free discipline dot that might end up turning a 0 to a 1 OR a 2 to a 3. I'm also curious as to how well the combat system works in practice, and whether the social "combat" system works out especially given that your willpower pool doubles as a health track.

The combat system works really well because it's streamlined, but not mindless. Having only Superficial/Aggravated damage really helps a lot of things (also having a legit health bar instead of whatever the hell hieroglyphic poo poo v20 used). Social Combat is good because whittling away at someone's willpower can be super useful. When you make willpower/frenzy rolls you use the dice of your current unspent willpower + 2/3 of your humanity. Dementation also damages willpower and if you begin to start inflicting aggravated willpower you can choose a compulsion for the kindred to act out.

Predator types are really good and the free discipline dots are awesome because you can choose to either get a good start on disciplines by rushing to a 3rd dot on something, or get dots in all 3 clan disciplines (or take 1 of the available out-of-clan disciplines from the predator type.) This allows cool build diversity. In the campaign I run I have a NPC that was a Ventrue with the Blood Leech Predator type, and took Protean. So she plays as this weird atypical Ventrue who busts out the claws in combat.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Social combat in particular is one of the more elegant ways I’ve ever seen an TTRPG handle that facet of RP

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pope Guilty posted:

I figured out that a big thing I dislike about V5 is that it feels like it's got two editions' books' worth of metaplot updates crammed into a single book. Just say things quieted down after the Gehenna scare fizzled and now events are heating up, and make changes on the scale of those found in V2 or V3. This whole "here's what's been happening over the past span of time equal to the entire time the game was being published" feels like too much too fast and leaves me feeling like the setting changes are more radical than they probably are.
Are they still based largely off of the guy's home LARP?

These things always kind of suck. Like I remember the "Avatar Storm" coming into Mage and it was like "Oh, okay, so now if you enter the Umbra you get flensed by soul knives... maybe. Because someone did an A-bomb."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oberst posted:

Am I going to have to run a game for all the lost souls in this thread

My only new year's resolution is to run either W:tWW or W:tF and I will succeed.

Eventually.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

moths posted:

Ok we get that you like V5 just marry it already

Spots are filling up fast better sign up now

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm shocked how popular V5 has gotten, most LGS's near me have moved from 5e DnD to V5

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

This is actually a good point from a xp numbers perspective l, but in execution it actually diversifies builds and through multi games I've yet to see it cause an issue

Predator types are one the best additions to v5

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
V5 is good because of its simplicity and versatility

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My only new year's resolution is to run either W:tWW or W:tF and I will succeed.

Eventually.

What's WtWW meant to be exactly?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Sour Diesel posted:

The combat system works really well because it's streamlined, but not mindless. Having only Superficial/Aggravated damage really helps a lot of things (also having a legit health bar instead of whatever the hell hieroglyphic poo poo v20 used). Social Combat is good because whittling away at someone's willpower can be super useful. When you make willpower/frenzy rolls you use the dice of your current unspent willpower + 2/3 of your humanity. Dementation also damages willpower and if you begin to start inflicting aggravated willpower you can choose a compulsion for the kindred to act out.

My worry is that your willpower track also being a health bar creates a chilling effect on actually spending willpower to do stuff. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (after all, your blood is also part of your health track and you certainly spend that all the time), just a concern I keep in the back of my mind whenever I design stuff that lets you attack someone's willpower in other White Wolf or White Wolf-like games I play. If it were up to me I might make "Humanity" or "Integrity" or something your psychic health bar and Willpower a third (or fourth, I guess, since Hunger's still there) resource pool that mostly goes untouched.

Here's what I'm curious about combat: If I'm fighting two people, A and B, all in melee, how many attacks get made? Is it like:

1) I attack A, which is resolved in a rolloff
2) A attacks me, which is resolved in a rolloff
3) B attacks me, which is resolved in a rolloff to which I get -2 dice

...such that, in effect, six "attacks" get rolled? Or, as soon as I attack A, does that more or less consume both our turns, and then B attacking me effectively gives me a free (but less accurate) hit back on them?

quote:

Predator types are really good and the free discipline dots are awesome because you can choose to either get a good start on disciplines by rushing to a 3rd dot on something, or get dots in all 3 clan disciplines (or take 1 of the available out-of-clan disciplines from the predator type.) This allows cool build diversity. In the campaign I run I have a NPC that was a Ventrue with the Blood Leech Predator type, and took Protean. So she plays as this weird atypical Ventrue who busts out the claws in combat.

I agree, I love Predator types in theory, but the XP differential between branching out and boosting something you're already good at is enormous - especially in a game in which XP costs are so high and per-session XP payout is so low. Predator Type should really get standardized in some way, like that it always gives you 1 dot in a Discipline you don't have yet, or it literally gives you a lump sum of XP you can spend into a set of certain Disciplines as you like, or something.

I also don't like that blood resonance gives you free XP such that you end up with situations in which more skilled or lucky players have more XP than others, but even if you're okay with that I think there's a big difference between XP differences developing gradually in play and coming right out the gate because of mathematically clever chargen choices.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 31, 2019

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

My worry is that your willpower track also being a health bar creates a chilling effect on actually spending willpower to do stuff. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (after all, your blood is also part of your health track and you certainly spend that all the time), just a concern I keep in the back of my mind whenever I design stuff that lets you attack someone's willpower in other White Wolf or White Wolf-like games I play. If it were up to me I might make "Humanity" or "Integrity" or something your psychic health bar and Willpower a third (or fourth, I guess, since Hunger's still there) resource pool that mostly goes untouched.

Here's what I'm curious about combat: If I'm fighting two people, A and B, all in melee, how many attacks get made? Is it like:

1) I attack A, which is resolved in a rolloff
2) A attacks me, which is resolved in a rolloff
3) B attacks me, which is resolved in a rolloff to which I get -2 dice

...such that, in effect, six "attacks" get rolled? Or, as soon as I attack A, does that more or less consume both our turns, and then B attacking me effectively gives me a free (but less accurate) hit back on them?

I agree, I love Predator types in theory, but the XP differential between branching out and boosting something you're already good at is enormous - especially in a game in which XP costs are so high and per-session XP payout is so low. Predator Type should really get standardized in some way, like that it always gives you 1 dot in a Discipline you don't have yet, or it literally gives you a lump sum of XP you can spend into a set of certain Disciplines as you like, or something.

In execution the issue with predator types really isn't a big deal. You have things you are good at, and you have your weaknesses. I personally run 2xp per session standard and things have gone fine with the players and their disciplines/skills.

Each session you get your willpower restored equal to the highest of your resolve or composure, so you always have that to lean on. Using willpower for re-rolls or to control yourself temporarily during a frenzy works out great in execution. Yea you can burn a willpower to re-roll a larceny check, but you might need it in case you blow your cover and get attacked or something like that. You can always start taking Aggravated willpower damage in an emergency (which is restored by furthering your convictions or fulfilling desires.) Because of this, there really hasn't been any chilling effect at all. If people REALLY want to succeed at something, they'll burn the willpower and adjust their playstyle accordingly if their skittish they might run into a situation where a possible frenzy can occur.

As far as combat goes, you have a choice in how you want to pursue your actions. You can attack A, then dodge against B so your dicepool on the attack doesn't get harmed. (Dice pool reductions come into play if you want to split the pool to attack multiple people, or if you want to dodge multiple opponents which you get -1 to your pool for each dodge.) You also have the use of your disciplines available if you're not wanting to just brawl or dodge.

If you're worried about getting hit by more than 2 people, then yea you're screwed if you're in a situation where you are trying to take on 3+ people without any backup, or if you're just jumping into the fray without any kind of preparation.

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 31, 2019

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Sour Diesel posted:

In execution the issue with predator types really isn't a big deal. You have things you are good at, and you have your weaknesses. I personally run 2xp per session standard and things have gone fine with the players and their disciplines/skills.

This doesn't convince me that the mechanics of Predator Types shouldn't be altered so that it doesn't create XP disparity.

quote:

If you're worried about getting hit by more than 2 people, then yea you're screwed if you're in a situation where you are trying to take on 3+ people without any backup, or if you're just jumping into the fray without any kind of preparation.

No, I'm literally asking you how it works, since I wasn't sure I understood it from reading the book.

In fact, simpler question. Let's say my character is just in a fistfight with yours. On each of the three rounds of combat, do we...

A) Each roll Strength + Brawl once, and whoever wins deals damage to the other, unless there's a tie in which we both deal damage to each other?
B) Each roll Strength + Brawl twice, once on my "turn" and once on "yours", such that there's a possibility for each of us to get hit twice, each of us to hit the other once, etc.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

This doesn't convince me that the mechanics of Predator Types shouldn't be altered so that it doesn't create XP disparity.

It's really not a big deal, you either heavily specialize in something or you become decent at multiple things (this also reflects with general character creation rules as their are options to specialize, balance, or jack of all trades). Once again all I can really say is that in execution over multiple games it really hasn't been a problem so there's nothing I can really say to convince you otherwise if you're firmly set on seeing things that way.

Ferrinus posted:

No, I'm literally asking you how it works, since I wasn't sure I understood it from reading the book.

In fact, simpler question. Let's say my character is just in a fistfight with yours. On each of the three rounds of combat, do we...

A) Each roll Strength + Brawl once, and whoever wins deals damage to the other, unless there's a tie in which we both deal damage to each other?
B) Each roll Strength + Brawl twice, once on my "turn" and once on "yours", such that there's a possibility for each of us to get hit twice, each of us to hit the other once, etc.

You are correct. I misunderstood the original question and thought it was more about the advanced side of things like splitting dice pools and whatnot but yea, you nailed it.

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 31, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

xanthan posted:

What's WtWW meant to be exactly?

Werewolf: The Wild West, which was the Dark Ages equivalent for oWolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Sour Diesel posted:

It's really not a big deal, you either heavily specialize in something or you become decent at multiple things (this also reflects with general character creation rules as their are options to specialize, balance, or jack of all trades). Once again all I can really say is that in execution over multiple games it really hasn't been a problem so there's nothing I can really say to convince you otherwise if you're firmly set on seeing things that way.

Well, here's the problem: let's say in specialize during chargen, and you become a generalist during chargen. Now we have different strengths and weaknesses but are basically comparable characters.

Later, I decide to generalize a bit, to shore up my weaknesses. It's super cheap! I can only spend a few XP and become just as much of a generalist as you started out as.

Meanwhile, you decide to specialize in one of your existing strengths. It's incredibly expensive! By the time I've become just as much of a generalist as you, you're still like a third of the way to becoming as much of a specialist as me.

A lot of people don't see this kind of thing as a problem, but the developers of V5 are not among them, which is why V5 has array-based, NOT dot-based, chargen. They've just slipped up in the implementation of Predator Types specifically. Would the game be better if Predator Types were deleted outright? Absolutely not, it's a really good and interesting part of chargen. But, the mechanics of Predator Type are not as well-polished as those of the earlier parts of character generation.

This isn't a huge problem because it's pretty easy to fix, but it's always annoyed me.

quote:

You are correct. I misunderstood the original question and thought it was more about the advanced side of things like splitting dice pools and whatnot but yea, you nailed it.

Wait, but, which is it? A or B? I think either you're misreading me or I'm not writing clearly.