Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Thread

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1156181046536351744?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

JThis guy Jose did a video on Comicsgate a whiel back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vthVmTnp80

But then he also did an hour-and-a-half video on how Secret Empire was actually good, so his judgement might be questionable.

This was literally who I was thinking of. I started watching that secret empire video but noped out pretty quick

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Remember those twins that Vic had said he tried to bang. Turns out they just gave their testimony and he assaulted them:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1156255760743108608?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can already see his defenders saying that since they went to his hotel room they consented.

Because the same thing happened to my sister.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I can already see his defenders saying that since they went to his hotel room they consented.

Blackface lawyer already claimed remaining silent is consent in regards to a different assault Vic committed.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

gently caress this hetero earth

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I enjoy one of the follow-up tweets to that for how it's phrased.

https://twitter.com/CommunistAuthor/status/1156256379545501698

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soonmot posted:

This was literally who I was thinking of. I started watching that secret empire video but noped out pretty quick

Yeah, I mean, he's trying to come at it from a leftist perspective, but frankly it feels like he's giving the story way too much credit. Like, I can get what Spencer was probably going for from that video, but it doesn't excuse the execution being awful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Puppy Time posted:

gently caress this hetero earth

My sister fought back and ran but when charges were brought it was dismissed because she went into the room of her own will. It was exceptionally hosed up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/LawoftheGame/status/1156293823640854528

How does this keep turning into a bigger and bigger cluster for Vic's side?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1156259631452315648?s=19

I'm not going to watch that video, but random person asking about their SO watching comics gate videos will probably hear it in the background. Maybe they can report back?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheQuartering is the most disingenous of all the "gaters" out there. It's patently obvious if you have the misfortune of watching even 5 minutes of his garbage output that he doesn't give a gently caress about comics, video games, movies, cartoons, or any of the other poo poo he's always crying about. He just really hates minorities and women.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I mean, he's trying to come at it from a leftist perspective, but frankly it feels like he's giving the story way too much credit. Like, I can get what Spencer was probably going for from that video, but it doesn't excuse the execution being awful.

Okay, that's better. Are his videos generally leftist, because that was the first one I saw and it kept me from watching any others.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Jeremy "TheQuartering" Hambly is also a tabletop CHUD who claims someone beat his rear end at Gencon or another huge con and tried to sue people because, if memory serves, WOTC banned him from stuff involving Magic the Gathering.

He's a bad person and he's also an idiot grifter who is generally amoral and mercenary.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think I first ran into The Quartering when the new She-Ra came out. I swear that was the loving cartoon Captain Marvel with how many incels it broke. For like a solid two weeks I think that guy was putting out a new video every day trying to find new things to bitch about. "She was designed to be an ideal to look up to--" she was made to be a loving TOY Quart. Everyone looked the same so they could all use the same mold. Even loving children knew that.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Okay, that's better. Are his videos generally leftist, because that was the first one I saw and it kept me from watching any others.

Yeah, José is a full-on leftuber. His latest video, in which he dissects the many lies told on Lauren Southern newest "documentary" is great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hostile V posted:

Jeremy "TheQuartering" Hambly is also a tabletop CHUD who claims someone beat his rear end at Gencon or another huge con and tried to sue people because, if memory serves, WOTC banned him from stuff involving Magic the Gathering.

He's a bad person and he's also an idiot grifter who is generally amoral and mercenary.

Oh yeah, that guy.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think he mentions that by the end, he says it fumbles alot, but he got the message. I left it on while I played Warframe one day. I also didn't read/care about secret empire and had no idea that was the Hail Hydra cap thing until he showed that part.

Rhyno posted:

We should start our own channel then.

Review your 3P TFs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can record myself saying "gently caress EVS" for an hour. Probably get more hits.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Make it ASMR and you might even be able to monetize

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I can record myself saying "gently caress EVS" for an hour. Probably get more hits.

Do it. I won't watch it longer than it takes click like, but I'll definitely give it a like.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The problem with that and YouTube is that watching that video would 100% guarantee that you get CG videos in your recommendations

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Yeah, that was super shady. He didn't report it to the police until way after he said (certainly not the night it happened), claimed the bar it happened at was hiding video tape (they don't have security cameras) and couldn't actually show any signs of being attacked. EVS started the GoFundMe for his 'assault' and he used that the fact he comes from money (which he doesn't like to admit) to badger his air quotes assailant into legally forcing him to admit it, or something to that effect. Hambly certainly didn't get all he said he was going for despite his claims.

Oh! Suspiciously he also bought a new truck at the same time the GFM finished!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Is EVS's brother Noah involved in comicgate?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

lifg posted:

Not to my knowledge.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

lifg posted:

Noah seems to be the good brother.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Moai Ou posted:

Not so fun fact: that card is listed in WotC's index as card #1488 :yikes:

they've talked about this and apparently nobody was really paying attention when they were creating gatherer

and the artist hasnt worked there in almost 20 years so i think its safe to say this is a one off

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yvonmukluk posted:

JThis guy Jose did a video on Comicsgate a whiel back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vthVmTnp80

But then he also did an hour-and-a-half video on how Secret Empire was actually good, so his judgement might be questionable.

he did a really good video about the original run of roseanne so he gets a pass

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

lifg posted:

At the very least I know he’s on the guest list for a convention and knowing some of the people who organize it I can’t be see them inviting an open comicsgater.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Noah did an autobiographical comic about his life growing up:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1122529934428332034

Which I haven't read, but apparently it explains that he and Evan (and their six other siblings, geez) had an incredibly traumatic childhood. Not that it excuses anything EVS has done, of course, but from what I've seen about the book you can see how Evan got twisted into the monster he is today.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Quote != Edit

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

they've talked about this and apparently nobody was really paying attention when they were creating gatherer

As in it was a coincidence or some chud slipped it under the radar?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bruceski posted:

The art, I am fairly certain, was one of those "holy poo poo no one noticed" deals; this was in the relatively early days of Magic (the expansion was released in 1994, so right at the point where the game had really kinda blown up but before anyone at WotC had really come to grips with how it had blown up and started hiring, like, more staff), and the emphasis was very much on "get art that looks halfway decent, get it printed, get it the gently caress out the door;" quality control was almost nonexistent. Now, the use of that particular image for that particular card is pretty shady, and I would not doubt that there was some racist chucklefuck who thought it was hilarious (or 'edgy' - it was the 90s, remember), but no one further up the chain noticed because they were all printing and designing and approving cards as fast as they could get them out the door before someone turned off the money faucet.

As to how the card got that particular number in the Gatherer database, it was probably a coincidence (the card is named 'Invoke Prejudice;' the card numbered 1487 is 'In the Eye of Chaos' and 1489 is 'Juxtapose,' all Blue cards from the same expansion in alphabetical order), but there's no way to be 100% certain.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vandar posted:

Which I haven't read, but apparently it explains that he and Evan (and their six other siblings, geez) had an incredibly traumatic childhood. Not that it excuses anything EVS has done, of course, but from what I've seen about the book you can see how Evan got twisted into the monster he is today.

You mean Ethan, right?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Bruceski posted:

The card appearing as #1488 is a huge coincidence. Gatherer’s ordered by set->color->alphabetical. The card art was done by a certified white supremacist

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Vandar posted:

What was hilarious was when a Comicsgater saw this tweet, didn't know it was Ethan's brother, and started making GBS threads all over the artwork saying, "Look at the bullshit they give Eisner awards to nowadays!"

I don't know how good of a person Noah is, but I can't imagine him sitting back and letting his brother's bullshit slide if he was.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
So I guess after the announcement that Alyssa Wong would be writing some books for Marvel, somebody decided to gin up a hate parade against her by blatantly falsifying a tweet where she slagged off Stan Lee.

https://twitter.com/crashwong/status/1156652450629091328

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wish I could turn it into a soundbite but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to legal stuff, but apparently Vic's lawyer goofed up yet again. Every other lawyer who isn't Nick seems to be just shaking their heads.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Going back to the comics youtube chat, I remembered Hbomberguy did a pretty good video on the Killing Joke movie and comics as a whole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRDiUD1a8c
And most importantly, he rediscovered this glorious moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

And most importantly, he rediscovered this glorious moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

It's worth looking up that whole episode. Lee is just poking fun at them the entire time and they just seem so incredibly oblivious to it.

That whole series is pretty good though, tbh.

Open Marriage Night posted:

You mean Ethan, right?

Yes. I had a brain fart.