Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm just hanging out by the trash. Because I'm trash, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm just hanging out by the trash. Because I'm trash, you see.
The dialog with Mr. Marvelous in Shinryu makes me go "mood," "same," and "me IRL" at the same time

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
if you're ever like super dry on commentators I could give it a shot ig

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Grandma has paid me to bring you all a very sexy and spicy man.
"He wanted to make an act of sacrifice for all of you so you wouldn't get permabanned. This is Nine Gear Crow's fault."

Kad fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 31, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kad posted:

"He wanted to make an act of sacrifice for all of you so you wouldn't get permabanned. This is Nine Gear Crow's fault."

This belongs in the Louvre.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
:swoon::gonk::munch:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Kad posted:

Grr + woof

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kad posted:

:one::f5h::f5::five:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Kad posted:

Tastefully tasteless, noice.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Also I'll throw my hat in the proverbial ring for guest commentary. I picked this up a while back because of this thread and have been enjoying it :toot:

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I would also be down to commentate! I put the game down for a time but this is maybe for the best as I no longer remember some of the older stuff, so I get to figure things out on my own.

All this...sexy? dad and/or uncle art is horrifying and fantastic.

Relevant to the episode: The song 'What Does the Fox Say' is conceptually kind of weird for Japanese, because the noise foxes make is commonly-known onomatopoeia in the language.

Korov wasn't lying that they have it for everything.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jade Rider posted:

Also I'll throw my hat in the proverbial ring for guest commentary. I picked this up a while back because of this thread and have been enjoying it :toot:

Speaking of hats, where is your hat in time avatar from?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NewMars posted:

A Hat In Time

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was gonna suggest doing a Lars nude art picture similar to that one Burt Reynolds picture, but we kinda don't need that now. I feel conflicted about whether we needed the most recent one, to be honest.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 31, 2019

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Is this the final memory cave?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Does anyone else imagine Lars's dialog as being voiced by Jon Benjamin? His delivery and voice fit perfectly.

Mizuti posted:

Is this the final memory cave?
Yes. We've covered all the family members.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

get that OUT of my face posted:

Does anyone else imagine Lars's dialog as being voiced by Jon Benjamin? His delivery and voice fit perfectly.

Yes. We've covered all the family members.

He's voiced by Droopy Dog. Imagine droopy dog's voice explaining the virtues of Asian women.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

NewMars posted:

Not sure about the source, I got it during one of the past Games Done Quick chat threads.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 26 is up!

You thought we were going to play a cute little RPG. Today things get a switch. And because it's kind of a slog, Katherine joins me for this one. And the next one too.

I'm so mad we don't get to date anyone. Then I'm not mad because we're 8.

It's a really cute gag but it goes on for a little too long, to be honest.

Not a whole lot gameplay wise so Katherine and I just go nuts in the commentary.

I have strong feelings about mean girls whose dads own fish markets. Especially girls who are mean to our sweet baby Jimmy.

Commentary On

No Commentary

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 1, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is a game on Steam. If it doesn't have a visual novel aspect to it, then you can't sell it there. Sorry, but I don't make the rules.

I do agree that this part goes on for a bit too long. At least it's free experience for your imagination forms, for the most part.

Principal Pulsating Mass is another boss fight that took me a few tries the first time around. I try taking out the one that inflicts Weak Point first and go from there.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 1, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Uhh...how old is Lars again?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Uhh...how old is Lars again?
It's not specified, all we know is that Helga is his older sister. But, as Andrew says, he acts like a child, so he gets to go back to school.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one thing i liked about the v-novel section was the way it showed that jimmy's tried to make up for his illiteracy by getting real, real good at math

if you take the mathematics courses he's bored out of his skull because he's already functioning several grades higher than his classmates

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
I like the VN portions showing what Jimmy's experience at school was.

He was mostly a loner, good at Math, terrible at English and probably bullied since Lars seems to be doing his job of being the target instead of Jimmy.
Punch is of course the cool Janitor, but Jimmy doesn't or Didn't know just how hard they worked so Punch is experiencing that first hand.
Another thing I like is that the Principal really works as a villain, because most students dread catching their attention in school.
As for Hitomi, I'm curious what her roles gonna be.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's been brought up in the game a few times at this point, and we're seeing it here again: the recurring theme is that no matter how Jimmy occupies himself, he can't escape the Pulsating Mass (which is to say, the fact that he has cancer). Playing around at home in the garden? It's there. Trying to forget about his guilt about stealing a Jonathon Bear toy? It's there. Playing video games? It's still there. Going to school? Yep, still there. Sooner or later, everything comes back to the Pulsating Mass.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's something horrifying about the insinuation that the Pulsating Mass eats a lot of raw meat.

The visual novel stuff is going on for a while, but at least it seems to be giving you breaks where you can go off and do RPG stuff. That's some good design.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tenebrais posted:

There's something horrifying about the insinuation that the Pulsating Mass eats a lot of raw meat.

The visual novel stuff is going on for a while, but at least it seems to be giving you breaks where you can go off and do RPG stuff. That's some good design.

Ish. You're stuck with three party members, which hobbles me a bit. Otherwise I'd totally break this up with an optional boss fight.

I think the amount we've done would be fine but the second half (the other twenty eight minute episode of this) devolves into some tedium. Which is why I'm ok with doing things like telling Katherine to talk about hotdogs while trying to get scabs to get her face outta there while I'm recording

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 1, 2019

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I appreciate that this is giving you opportunities to power level the gently caress out of the forms that you might not use, or the ones you do use, so you can just lean heavily into where you want your party to be while giving some decent characterization and story-driven progression without having to mash the "attack" button a bunch to grind. -100 out of ten for having the obviously in-his-twenties Lars pining over a teenager. Lars, buddy, you don't need a chance at high school, you need therapy.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Jimmy isn't really old enough to be critical of Lars' weirdness or to understand why some of it is bad. All he knows is that his uncle loves anime girls and by God, that's what's gonna happen.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This isn't my favorite section, but I love the bitter irony of Lars getting bullied by kids half his age, to the point that they make fun of him for having a beard.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"Jimmy's brain can only belong to Jimmy."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ZeroCount posted:

Jimmy isn't really old enough to be critical of Lars' weirdness or to understand why some of it is bad. All he knows is that his uncle loves anime girls and by God, that's what's gonna happen.
I think that really needs to be emphasized for the people arguing against Lars's characterization. Any adult can see that Lars is a do-nothing slacker and the worst kind of weeb while also having zero self-confidence whatsoever. But Jimmy is eight years old and wants his family to be happy more than anything else. He wants Andrew to be happy by living up to his academic expectations (harsh as they may be) while he excels at his paleontology job. He wants Lars to be happy by having his unrealistic, impossible expectations met.

There are going to be characters that are either firmly on the bad side of the good/bad spectrum, or occupying some middle ground. And that's fine depending on how you write them. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is great writing and characterization in spite of- hell, I'd say because of- the groan-worthy moments balanced with other things. We just saw that Yuk is an example of how not to write a morally bad character. On the flip side, there are some shows and movies out there that make morally good characters that have no flaws or have problems that pop up around them that are either resolved or are swept to the wayside with no resolution, and those are all universally boring.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 2, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
mmm, this may be in Jimmy's mind and he may be creating uncritical fantasies of/for his family (and i think this is a strength of the game), but what has been shown of Lars repulses me as a human being. can't speak for other posters but that's how i take it. i don't know how i could take it any other way ESPECIALLY because Jimmy's mind is presenting an uncritical image of his Uncle. if these are the things a little kid is picking up on, whether or not they are old enough to understand them, then loving :yikes:

Lars never improved for me as a character. the more revealed about him the more i was repulsed. he has great moments of empathy, but i'd argue that they don't redeem him.

edit: grammar

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not endorsing Lars's character at all, he's very clearly a do-nothing loser and with a personality to match. But it makes sense in the context of "Jimmy just wants what makes his family happy." Plus, we get plenty of reminders from Andrew about how much of a gently caress-up he is. And unlike Alex from Yuk, Lars knows it on some level, though that doesn't stop him from going full weeb. Not enough to rehabilitate his character but it is what it is.

One would assume that Jimmy would view him in a less favorable light if he were older. He's empathetic, definitely a little emotionally naive, but he isn't stupid.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 2, 2019

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
What happens if you take Punch back to Sacred Lantern?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jimmy is clearly aware Lars is unpopular - hell, Lars' whole combat mechanic is based around making people want to hurt him. And his mental image of his dad is immediately belittling and tormenting him the moment his mum isn't around. I've no doubt he's meant to be perceived by a player as pitiful at best.

But Jimmy still loves his uncle and wants him to be happy, so he subconsciously gives Lars at least a chance to get the thing he thinks will make life good for him. (I suspect Jimmy, being 8, has no concept of someone Lars' age dating a high school girl being a problem; they'd both look like grown-ups to him)

On a different note, I do love that Andrew bought a few of the dolls that look like Helga. Their romance is still adorable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

(I suspect Jimmy, being 8, has no concept of someone Lars' age dating a high school girl being a problem; they'd both look like grown-ups to him)
I suppose that Hitomi could be older due to being from the moon and just using "high school student" as a way of hiding her identity, but not only is that neither confirmed nor denied, it's not a can of worms I'm willing to open. Plus, I doubt an 8 year old would really care about that detail.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Okay, so...hear me out here.

Lars being a weeb is more of a structural insertion, because if he wasn't, there would be no reason to have a visual novel stage of the game. And as a game that likes to pull in mechanics from other games to make its various stages unique and referential to various forms of JRPGs, someone had to be the weeb. Otherwise, there'd be no plot-based reason for this to be a dating sim style stage.

I mean, is there any other demographic that plays visual novels? Aside from people like Katherine and me who enjoy romancing pigeons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you're saying that lars' interests exist solely to justify the v-novel segment, then no, that's not likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Oxxidation posted:

if you're saying that lars' interests exist solely to justify the v-novel segment, then no, that's not likely

I'm not saying SOLELY, but it does make some of his more weebish behavior seem deliberate rather than stereotypical.