Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Jazzzzz posted:

Plus it makes your exhaust smell like a freshly mopped floor

An unrelated note, what I did to (one of) my ride today, was actually ride it (the 1994 Ninja 250R).

Given that I'm new at riding, I've been pretty cautious. Today I actually had a chance on a straight section to play with the revs a bit. Nothing crazy, just letting it get up higher than I have before. I noticed that it gave up at 11,000 rpm. Not like, 'oh, there's less power up here', just, it would not rev beyond 11k rpm. The bike's marked redline is 14k and it will supposedly go to 15.5k (but power above 13k is supposedly crap, so no real reason to).

Just wondering why it wouldn't go beyond.
The PO did put on a larger sprocket for better gas mileage when he commuted, so not sure if that would affect it.
My next thought is that the carbs might just need some cleaning, but figured I would send this up to the hive mind to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carbs, blocked intake/exhaust are pretty much the only thing that'll do that unless you just aren't opening the gas fully.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
If you do take the carbs out to clean them, note the sizes of the jets and compare them to what the stock jetting should be. It’s possible that in the last 25 years someone who didn’t know what they’re doing hosed with the carb and put a bunch of wonky sized jets in.

My first bike was a Suzuki Savage, and much like you when I first took it out on the highway and opened it up I was surprised that I couldn’t go much faster than 65mph. Turns out a previous owner had used a carb rebuild kit for that carb, but for a non-motorcycle application (jetski maybe? I forget) so the jets were all undersized. I put the correct jets in and it would do 75+ no problem.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Thanks, I'll probably do that when winter hits. I'm not certain what the PO did as far as maintenance and he only had it for a year. Regardless of what he did, I'm sure they are in need of some TLC after a quarter century. But for my admittedly beginner riding it's fine for now.

I definitely had the throttle pegged, it just wouldn't go any farther rev wise. It wasn't even like it was trying, there was just nothing else.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Throttle cable adjustment maybe?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

nadmonk posted:

I'm not certain what the PO did as far as maintenance and he only had it for a year.

This is what makes used bike ownership so much fun! :shepicide:

mewse posted:

Throttle cable adjustment maybe?

Could be, easy way to check that is to move the carb throttle (where the cables are attached to the carb) by hand, if you can turn it farther this way than with the grip/tube then you know you're not getting full throttle at the handlebar.

I'm going with PO carb fuckery. Wrong jets, floats misadjusted, something like that. A small tear in a carb diaphragm could also limit the rpm.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

The best way to do it, imo, is to buy a gallon or two of kerosene and a big steel bucket, and you just submerge the parts in the kerosene and scrub them off in there, and then when you're done you pour it back into your fuel can with a funnel and a coffee filter to take out all the big chunks. It'll be black and grimy looking, but you can just keep reusing that same kerosene for a really long time for the first stage of heavy degreasing.

Then switch to regular dish soap and water for the second stage and everything will be squeaky clean.

The only thing on a bike that kerosene doesn't really help with is the tar and varnish in heavily gummed up carburetors. The secret trick there is to soak them in a 1:1 mixture of Pine-Sol and water. The aromatic terpenes in Pine-Sol are chemically similar to the compounds that form gasoline varnish, and if you leave it overnight it will all get soft enough to rub off with a toothbrush.

Only thing worth noting here - I think you have to get the old/original formula Pine-Sol.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Only thing worth noting here - I think you have to get the old/original formula Pine-Sol.

I looked into this and it's forty bucks a liter :wtc: it's literally cheaper to buy carb cleaner or parts wash.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It has to have actual pine oil in it but it doesn't have to be Pine-Sol brand. Surely you have some equivalent in your part of the world?

Home Depot has store brand Pine-Sol labeled as "HDX Pine Cleaner" for $3.50 per half gallon (2L). It works just as well as the original stuff and it doesn't have any of the fake pine-fresh-nr aroma either

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I wanted to finish the oil change on the R6

:cripes::cripes::cripes:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Time to buy some M14x1.5 Helicoils on Monday if I don't commit honorary Sudoku this weekend out of shame.

E: the previous owner fitter that short drain plug with a magnet on his first oil change and yes it totally aided in stripping the thread by just having 4 continuous threads of length and all that in cast aluminum.
But it's entirely on me being a God drat idiot with a half inch ratchet and doing a turn in the wrong direction when I wanted to loosen it... Dunno why... Good mood, everything was going smooth and then zap... Idiot move and the thread's stripped. It's one of these moments where you wish the gods of riding struck you down with lightning.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 27, 2019

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hey Slavvy I was considering a Svartpilen for my next bike until I read your KTM effortpost so thanks I guess for helping me thin down the options.

Combat Theory posted:

Sorry dude :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

I wanted to finish the oil change on the R6

Time to buy some M14x1.5 Helicoils on Monday if I don't commit honorary Sudoku this weekend out of shame.

E: the previous owner fitter that short drain plug with a magnet on his first oil change and yes it totally aided in stripping the thread by just having 4 continuous threads of length and all that in cast aluminum.
But it's entirely on me being a God drat idiot with a half inch ratchet and doing a turn in the wrong direction when I wanted to loosen it... Dunno why... Good mood, everything was going smooth and then zap... Idiot move and the thread's stripped. It's one of these moments where you wish the gods of riding struck you down with lightning.

Good thing that sump comes off with trivial effort and even has a reusable gasket! Once it's off the bike you have way more options and they're all less painful.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Slavvy posted:

Good thing that sump comes off with trivial effort and even has a reusable gasket! Once it's off the bike you have way more options and they're all less painful.

I can get a new one for 112 Euro but apparently the gasket is paper and needs replacement (23 Euro)

My options depend on what we have at work for M14x1.5 and what the Boss will glee over when i order it because paying for any tools will out-cost a new Pan.
My favorite would be a time-sert but a full lenght helicoil will also help as a reinforcement. Both will be stronger than the original cast aniways, but the Time-Sert looks tougher to me. The nice thing about the Oil-Pan Repair helicoils is that they come with the 2-in-1 Tap-Drill that uses the existing thread as a guide so that the new threads will be perfectly concentric. Theres a reason that i cut every thread in my Engineering career on a Lathe/Mill/Drill Press because i absolutely suck at lining up taps by eye.

E: the Time-Sert has a pilot bushing for cutting the threads, but drilling and counter-sinking is kinda free handed. also the Kit costs 250 Euro so well see what the Boss says.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 27, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well if you're gonna take the oil pan off you might as well do it right and weld it up then re-drill and re-tap it for the original plug

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Well if you're gonna take the oil pan off you might as well do it right and weld it up then re-drill and re-tap it for the original plug

That would be my least favorite option since the way the Pan is formed makes for a very direct Thermal conduct from the Meat of the Drain hole to the Sealing surface and i would be still stuck with an aluminum thread. its pretty much guaranteed that ill take it out because im scared of missing even the slightest chip in there. Space wise it would not be an issue to do it installed but some kind of Steel reinforcement will end up in there 100% if just for my ease of mind.

Also all options are for the original Plug, itll still have an M14x1.5 thread, just in a steel insert or Helicoil instead of the cast aluminum

will end up like this

or like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o16UEEbbcSU

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 28, 2019

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Brought to you by a 20 year old rotary sander I found in the basement and Krylon. Looks “good enough” until I feel like going full effort with my friend’s automotive setup.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I took the Rex for its second multi-hundred-km ride since I got it. (Two years ago.) I saw a family of deer in a creek, and I saw some cows, and some mountains, and a stunt plane doing a hammerhead at a local airshow, and I saw a sovcit with a fake license plate that I should have narced on but didn't because there were no cops around!

They sure were speedtrapping everywhere else though. Great work today, fellas.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tyro posted:

Hey Slavvy I was considering a Svartpilen for my next bike until I read your KTM effortpost so thanks I guess for helping me thin down the options.

Sorry dude :(

Slavvy is lame, and now you are too, congratulations!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Came out of a movie tonight to discover a) it had rained while I was inside, but my seat was dry thanks to whatever magic material it's made of, and b) my left side bar end weight was hanging out of the handlebars. Popped it back in for the ride home, but deffo need to see wtf is up with that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Came out of a movie tonight to discover a) it had rained while I was inside, but my seat was dry thanks to whatever magic material it's made of, and b) my left side bar end weight was hanging out of the handlebars. Popped it back in for the ride home, but deffo need to see wtf is up with that.

Is your bike cool enough for random dickheads to jump on for a selfie?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Luckily I'm a boring dad now, and this is not new information to me :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tackled the brake system today.

Galfer front and rear stainless hoses. Why? Let me tell you a sto—

:stonklol: Ok so no untimely loss of brakes on the highway, check!

Also a full brake fluid change, obviously. I stripped a screw getting into my front master cylinder so I had to dremel a slot to unscrew. Will order a replacement master cylinder top and screws but for now I found a substitute that works, albeit ugly.

Pretty pleased with how easy everything was.

E: for comedy, I present the “cotter pin” used by the PO

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 28, 2019

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Oil change, brake flush and bleed including the ABS unit, reset the service warning light, installed a bracket for some Squadron Pro lights I got my mitts on, and spent a half hour or so dicking around trying to figure out the best location to mount an EZ-Can.

I need to get some speed bleeders installed; it's a hassle trying to reach either the front or rear brake lever and close the bleed screw from the left side of the bike. Vacuum bleeder at least made it so I wasn't getting air in the lines, but my little pancake compressor got a hell of a workout.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, sounds like your seat was magically dry because someone wiped it off with the seat of their 7-for-all-mankind's

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Slavvy was right once more, the oil pan gasket in the R6 is some funky neoprene foam composite and would have been reusable, but after 10 years mine was baked on a bit and some of the foam came of. Turns out a new one is only :10bux: so good thing I ordered one.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

I finally got my turn signal relay for the '78 GS750 in the mail. Everything now flashes and lights up when it should.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I figured it would be a good idea to run the lambda sensor plug through the new exhaust before I screw in the sensor.

When I wanted to back out the plug it refused.

Turns out the stainless threads performed a cold weld. Holy poo poo I thought this was some wrencher myth.

A round of oxy fuel and brrrrrrrrrt later I had to recut m18x1.5 threads in stainless but I did succeed. Hell this motorcycle gotta be cursed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yup, galling is a real thing

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The deed is done

Lambda works, oil pan and the new fancy drain valve are tight.

Tomorrow the DB-killer goes the way of the dodo but the sound is already nice.

Just gotta tidy up the lambda harness with some wire straps and hide the exup cables.

The stuff on the alternator cover isn't oil by the way, that's some cavity wax that flowed on there.

E: aluminum floor rules.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 30, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's a GSX650F, I'm sure some will think of it as a bit of a dad bike, but it looks nice And suits my needs in the acceleration and comfort departments. So idk. There were two actual sport bikes beside mine, I dunno.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The R6 is completed again. All the wiring and the Exup Cables are tidied up, cowling and fairings are on. The rubber mounts got a bit of silicone grease and the rusty bolt that holds the lower radiator mount got some cavity wax. DB Killer screw had its spot weld broken and was reinserted with anti seize ( i learned after that galling incident)

As a nice bonus, i dont have to take the cowlings off anymore when i do oil changes now since the drain valve and the hose that it drains through require no tools and dont soil the entire inside of the left cowling.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

While I should have done this when I had the carbs off the GS750 the first time, until I fixed the float/overflow problem, I didn't know how it ran.
The answer, as it turned out, was "not the best". Had trouble idling, rough idle, trouble getting started, would stall out, revs would hang if you actually were able to rev it.
I haven't looked at everything yet, most of it looks good, except for the pilot jets. A couple looked ok, #4 was completed blocked and #3 was almost completely blocked.
Sadly, I'm out of carb cleaner so I'll need to grab some and get everything cleaned out.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Keep the DB killer in

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Spiffness posted:

Keep the DB killer in

in germany, yes
in spain, no

its just too mighty of a sound to let go (tried it at work today - sounds about like in the video below), especially when i dont disturb anyone with it due to the solitary part of spain where i do holidays (the next traffic light is 28 km away)

E: not doing the comparison at home, but this guy did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CzK56vi7Gs&t=210s

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 31, 2019

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

DB killers are lame. I didn't buy an exhaust to not be able to hear it

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Changed led indicators on my fz6n. I put some flowing no name China specials with white extra light for the fronts and pulsing brake light for the rears. Works nicely and people can actually see me brake now. The led rear light some PO put on have really little difference in light when brakeing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I unpacked my Chinese aftermarket fairings and bought $200 dollars worth of spray paint and painting supplies. Going to be a productive week ahead :clint:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dual-sported my WR250X with some TKC-80's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

DB killers are good.

Unrelated, the exhaust for my RSV4 came.