Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Be the change you want to see, bring up a topic to talk about man. Don't just get aggressive that people post their levels and bounce when thats how you play the game if you're a creator.

This attitude discourages me way more than anything else in the game. This is part of why creative communities stagnate and die. You're not supposed to just make stuff, throw it out there, and only respond to attention you receive. Part of building a community is actually talking to people, sharing ideas, engaging with each other on a level more than "look at my stuff". And I've tried to do that, but more and more this thread shifts towards people posting their levels and nothing else. If this is the prevailing attitude then no wonder that is what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I finally played this myself and it turns out the slide music puts me on tilt and I had to unplug my headphones to finish.

Good level though! My only complaint is that 3D world wall jumps get extremely weird when you are moving fast, like it hesitates to grab a wall? I really like how you manage to make each jump feel like it flows together, it doesn't feel jerky at any point. That flow makes it feel less like autoscroll and more like you are just attempting a speed run.

Also I screwed up your joke number, 5/21 isn't funny at all.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Being the thick skulled idiot I am I went and actually committed my strongest ideas to the game already! I still get some new ones but I'm definitely slowing down to a weekly pace and trying to hold that as I do other things. I really like Octopath Traveler, for example.

Felt like RAOM today so here's a fresh shotgun batch for you!

Punch the Switch, Mario!
F94-NL0-15G

By: BabyRyoga

I like the concept but the time needed to nail the harder puzzles can get long and the mushroom puzzle just breaks if you miss it and soft locks you if you go up there, I lost interest entirely when I realized I had to redo the first three puzzles to get back to the same spot.

hmmmm.. Looks Familiar
7M1-51G-4LG

By: dbhjed

I love SMB3 and the tileset so I will applaud an homage level! It's good!

Airfort one
TMN-HSN-T1G

By: semisomnum

A short and sweet puzzle proof of concept, a good one that flows well even running in blind.

These coins belong in a museum?
957-NFN-81H

By: Defenestrategy

Good jokes, would prefer to have to painstakingly get a coin from the bastard dev than just get the freebie at the end.

Treasure Hunt
MM8-4VV-1RG

By: Elpa

Not Found!

Bowser Jr's Airship
JJP-W4B-VKF

By: Kirios

I always like airship levels and this is a classic one with easy stretches and a few tighter and harder hallway gauntlets. Good secrets and branching paths. The bonus star was a nice idea but placed before what I thought was an easier hall! I think changing a few of the mushroom refreshes to progressive power-ups would be a nice reward too(i.e. if you're Big Mario then it's a Fire Flower instead, should be a select option on the power-up itself.) I think the bonus door at the start would look better if it was attached to a semi-solid on the ship itself, it's also visible when you go for the hidden fire flower. Kudos for it not being a dev skip at least!

Blinking Blast
3B3-81Y-4FF

By: Random Stranger

Good concept and good screens. The jump up between the moving pair of 3x1s at the checkpoint can be super annoying.

Father Son Fortress
CS4-QYT-VLG

By: TVs Ian

Good course work overall but severely dragged down by the Bowser fight. Stole the world record very handily by carrying a Fire Flower to that one. Good decision to put progressive power ups in the level but I can see a lot of people skipping course if they get there as Small Mario. Blind Thwomps on the top of the second screen!

Big Boo's Bargain Books
Sls-wtt-wdg

By: Hover

A good stage! An interesting approach if a bit oddly structured, I stumbled into the clear condition before solving any of the optional puzzles. Admittedly I'm not much of an optionals player in Mario Maker 2. Floor Boo spawning on you as Hammer Mario feels awful. When I go back to the stage through the locked door by the Hammer spawn to find Boos the Winged Boo will clip through all the walls to get to me as I go for the Floor Boos to my left. Made things a little speedier than intended, maybe?

Mario's Cat Condo
M72-G51-WVF

By: Ohtsam

A nice idea but a little too simple. There's almost nothing going on you have to engage with until the Hammer Bros spawn in the auto scroller section and you're almost guaranteed to be in Cat Form. Two presses of Y and it's a free clear. I get the feeling I got the world record here because every other player isn't used to Cat controls and has trouble making the jumps on the first screen.

The Old Sawmill
6WM-85K-BBG

By: Rhythmancer

Great! Awesome concept for a grinder spam map, perfect theming, great platforming. My favorite of the night.

In Too Deep
NP5-4T3-WKG

By: Rollersnake

Great concept, cruel Mario stage. If you take an early hit it's almost unplayable. The red shell to open the pathway at the start undermines the difficulty since you can follow it and clear half the enemies. There's a lot to like here but unpredictable Mario water enemies + water level + darkness + unpredictable Super Balls(if you grab that one, great idea to split progressive power ups) as your only light source is just rough. Blooper spam in the second half is brutal. This level could either lose the darkness or needs a heavy helping of guiding sound effects and/or light sources. The repetitive music note block is pretty grating in the first half of the underwater section. Great use of an enemy spawning pipe in the end. I think the same great concept here could be pitched with half as many enemies in the stage.

Snowy Slopes
NG1-NR3-CVG

By: lol 10 bux

Creative and fun but I must confess I have no idea what the Thwomp/Pow/Wiggler devices on the slopes were doing!

Desert Rush
CVK-N91-7LG

By: Spectral Werewolf

A "hold right and dash" stage where it's very easy to desync the automatic stuff! Only appropriate for players who'd make frame perfect shell jump courses in MM1.

Prelude to Pain (40s)
VMG-69Q-KNF

By: Unsound Logic

Pixel perfect masochism level with no clears. Gotta find a Super Expert No Skip streamer for this one.

Tall, Tall Tower
LDF-DN9-41G

By: guppy

A good old fashioned Mario level that hits the spot. I like it, pal!

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
HEY!

I have a spare hour/hour and a half, so I'll be streaming some levels from here at:

https://twitch.tv/zfleeman

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Some RAOM feedbacks from a amateur, played while dinner was cooking:

Projectile Accuracy Examination
CWD-PW8-J3G
Girl Drink Drunk

Nice use of the Superball - when I saw "long range" I figured you meant shells or something. Well-paced so that even us clumsy players can get through.

Bowser's Factory
23N-JJQ-Q5G
dbhjed

A solid course! I died twice to the same drat platform during the thwomp-toggle section. The shell puzzles at the end were good, too.

The Perilous Vine Skyway
7LS-F1Q-6BG
Ikubi Akius

It's nice to see a track level where you still have to actually interact with the elements of the level. It was nice to get acknowledged at the end of the buzzsaw section.

Ski-Easy Peak
0B4-414-YRF
Tender Bender

Using the swinging claw as a ski lift was inspired. The climb to the top was fun, and then the ski trip down the slopes was a nice finale afterward. :)

Simple Swipes
213-8XL-QSG
Asadasa

Short and sweet, just like it says on the tin. It is possible to softlock if you, like me, are an idiot and use up all the bells in the first section, then get powered down before you start knocking the Banzai Bills sideways. Ah well!

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 1, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh, something else I wanted to mention; I've seen a few people say "I'd give feedback but I'm bad/dumb/don't know what I'm doing" or something else along those lines.

When you're doing creative stuff, feedback from all kinds of people is basically always valuable. It gives you an idea of how different people see and interact with your work. Only hearing opinions from "professionals" or people otherwise qualified can twist the perception of your work. Its good to gather a wide variety of opinions.

And with Mario Maker in particular, getting feedback from players of all skill levels is great! It doesn't have to be super detailed (though obviously that helps). Just as long as you say what you honestly think, you can give people an idea of how their level is being received. You shouldn't stress about being qualified to give feedback, unless someone specifically requests a certain kind of feedback (IE kaizo player wants their level played by other kaizo fanatics).

So :justpost: or comment ingame or whatever. Unless you're saying "I hate it" with no other elaboration, people will probably wanna hear your thoughts.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Huxley posted:

mostly easy

lol no

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

This was super fun, I love puzzles like this.

Thanks!

I tried to make this real easy so players could focus more on the puzzle aspect, but this still has a real bad clear rate. I’m not sure if I should be trying to make it even less lethal or work on my signposting.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Like my last one it's open world, trying to build up a series of stages for people whom like longer stages, but not necessarily harder stages, and have the powerups be more for fun instead of being integral. Also added different routes and solutions to every problem, and screwover opportunities for versus. I came up with a cool boss idea for this one

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Jothan posted:

I tried to make this real easy so players could focus more on the puzzle aspect, but this still has a real bad clear rate. I’m not sure if I should be trying to make it even less lethal or work on my signposting.

I think it's pretty universal that levels are always harder than the creator thinks they are. The tricky part is figuring out in what way your level is too hard. If you've got tons of attempts and death markers with a low clear rate, then yeah it's probably the lethality. If there aren't that many attempts to begin with, that might be people giving up after losing direction which would be signposting.

I figured out real early on that I tend to put too many enemies in levels, so before I upload I try to go through and remove maybe 20-30% of them.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

I think it's pretty universal that levels are always harder than the creator thinks they are. The tricky part is figuring out in what way your level is too hard. If you've got tons of attempts and death markers with a low clear rate, then yeah it's probably the lethality. If there aren't that many attempts to begin with, that might be people giving up after losing direction which would be signposting.

I figured out real early on that I tend to put too many enemies in levels, so before I upload I try to go through and remove maybe 20-30% of them.

I’ve got two places that require platforming to Not Die, but most of the deaths are from people flinging themselves into the obstacles I use to signpost “Please don’t walk here”

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I put too many enemies in a level and my friends suddenly latched onto the idea that it was a speedrun level, so I guess that's an option too. I just tested a bunch of possible stomping jump possibilities before uploading.

BTW, if you guys haven't been following along with the thread twitter I've started grabbing images from the thread for your levels too, so keep that up.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Doomykins posted:

In Too Deep
NP5-4T3-WKG

By: Rollersnake

Great concept, cruel Mario stage. If you take an early hit it's almost unplayable. The red shell to open the pathway at the start undermines the difficulty since you can follow it and clear half the enemies. There's a lot to like here but unpredictable Mario water enemies + water level + darkness + unpredictable Super Balls(if you grab that one, great idea to split progressive power ups) as your only light source is just rough. Blooper spam in the second half is brutal. This level could either lose the darkness or needs a heavy helping of guiding sound effects and/or light sources. The repetitive music note block is pretty grating in the first half of the underwater section. Great use of an enemy spawning pipe in the end. I think the same great concept here could be pitched with half as many enemies in the stage.

Just out of curiosity, did you step on the "eyes" of the platform creatures in the Blooper-heavy sections? Because that's the other light source. I put one above ground near the very beginning of the stage to try to clue players into it, but since that part isn't dark it's probably not clear what purpose it serves. Also I guess you can't really tell unless you manage to kill enough of them, but the heartbeat sound is only attached to Bloopers in this level and was intended as a "there's at least one Blooper somewhere on the screen" cue. (This was actually inspired by my favorite of Kraken's MM1 levels, where he did this with red wigglers.)

It's a very difficult line to tread between "you're hosed if you lose your powerups" and "it's boring if you keep them." I've beaten the whole level without fire or superballs... but of course I know where the Bloopers are going to be. I thought I was generous enough with the powerups and checkpoint placement that it was more important for me to focus on avoiding the latter problem.

Also, I'm fine with being able to trivialize the beginning/ending of the stage with shells—those sections are mostly just there to help tell the story: The koopas have disturbed something horrible in the ocean depths and are trying to seal it off... and along comes Mario to gently caress everything up. The main functional thing I wanted to get out of the beginning was previewing the cluttered/layered backgrounds you're about to be navigating in the dark.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 1, 2019

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Server maintenance starting in an hour (9:00 EDT), FYI.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Honestly, just give feedback. Even if it’s just “this part/level is good/bad” it at least informs something about what you should or shouldn’t do.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Got some advice in the discord chat, and I tweaked my Hudson Bay level a little bit.

KT2-9C6-FGG

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Rollersnake posted:

Just out of curiosity, did you step on the "eyes" of the platform creatures in the Blooper-heavy sections? Because that's the other light source. I put one above ground near the very beginning of the stage to try to clue players into it, but since that part isn't dark it's probably not clear what purpose it serves. Also I guess you can't really tell unless you manage to kill enough of them, but the heartbeat sound is only attached to Bloopers in this level and was intended as a "there's at least one Blooper somewhere on the screen" cue. (This was actually inspired by my favorite of Kraken's MM1 levels, where he did this with red wigglers.)

It's a very difficult line to tread between "you're hosed if you lose your powerups" and "it's boring if you keep them." I've beaten the whole level without fire or superballs... but of course I know where the Bloopers are going to be. I thought I was generous enough with the powerups and checkpoint placement that it was more important for me to focus on avoiding the latter problem.

Also, I'm fine with being able to trivialize the beginning/ending of the stage with shells—those sections are mostly just there to help tell the story: The koopas have disturbed something horrible in the ocean depths and are trying to seal it off... and along comes Mario to gently caress everything up. The main functional thing I wanted to get out of the beginning was previewing the cluttered/layered backgrounds you're about to be navigating in the dark.

That's cool for the shell and brick seal ups. I thought it was funny that a big part of the level is tons of enemies and every time I redid the start I just had that red shell clear the way.

I never saw the donut blocks as more than decoration so I didn't stand on them. I even avoided contact with the mushrooms/donut blocks as I descended because that's a big slow down with the way water levels work! A pair at the start of the underwater section that you have to stand on to progress would get the functionality across. Block in the pipe exit with hard blocks, leave a little space for Mario to stand, have two donut blocks under him that are the only way down.

I wouldn't say it's boring to keep the power ups through the whole level, especially since it's so hard to shoot upwards during the second half. I got my clear by just being able to tank the non-winged Bloopers I bumbled into because darkness and then recognizing that winged Bloopers never quite descended all the way to touching me and rose when I moved up. With so many enemies overall I wouldn't feel things were too easy no matter how far I got with a power up.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 1, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Oh mighty DalaranJ, keeper of the sacred mario document hear my plea!

I've deleted Entry 316 - Final Fantasy XV
I've tweaked Entry 989 - Red Switch, Boo Switch - The new code is P1P-R6L-2NF
I've also tweaked Entry 1085 - Bounce House Mouse Trounce - The new code is WG4-VWX-R5G

TBH, I play a ton of RAoM levels but i only post about the ones that I have something constructive to say about. If thread ettiquitte demands that I post every goon level I play that's fine, but it's not going to be particularly interesting, I just didn't want to spam the thread.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Oh mighty DalaranJ, keeper of the sacred mario document hear my plea!

Who dares summon me!?!

I mean, yeah, okay, done.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Time for some deliberate acts of Mario. Did as much as I could before maintenance.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Updated my famous Mass Blast course. Tell me how she plays goons!

QXX-02N-SDG
Plays pretty well. The layout was good but enemy/cannon density felt a little overdone at times, particularly the section after the checkpoint where the koopas are each carrying two.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I finished my first jam level on the stream, too. Bowser’s lost so many airships that he’s cutting down on costs and strapping rockets to any old piece of junk. They do go fast, though!

Bowser’s Discount Rockets: LXY-LTW-XHG

Nice to see a fast auto-scroll course that could fall in the normal difficulty range. Short and fun enough that I played it twice.

Rollersnake posted:

I felt like making a really traditional level tonight, so here's a course that takes inspiration from SMB1 World 4. Difficulty is closer to Lost Levels, because that's the challenge level I like. Also it's short enough that it doesn't really need a checkpoint, but I took J-Spot's advice and put one anyway to encourage more people to clear it.
I'm digging the classic style level design you've been working with lately. Didn't need the checkpoint this time but it was at a 6% clear rate when I got to it so I'm sure someone appreciated it.

Jothan posted:

I made a coin-collecting level where you can’t reach any of the coins. Enjoy!

XC6-DPJ-QWG
Cute idea. A bit long for a level with a clear condition. I had 126 coins at the end. Other than missing one 10 coin I'm not sure how I could have made that up and didn't feel like playing again just to clear it.

I don't really like speedrun stages, but it seems like the point of them is to make them flow well enough to feel almost automatic. The hard jump feels more like a flaw of the level design where the player has to work around a broken bit you should have fixed.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Mega Action Robot: M.A.R.I.O.
CN5-K4D-9MF

The big Mario robot was really cool but that winged Bowser Jr. managed to crash his way into the cockpit. That whole segment went on a little longer than I would have liked and the lack of any power-ups to tank a hit made me too frustrated to keep going. You should definitely try to pimp it out though as I could see it doing well in popular.

Besesoth posted:

Single-Player Verses
9W1-585-S5G

Given my experience in Endless, this feels a little easy for Expert and a little hard for Normal, but I'd love to hear feedback.
I imagine it will fall in the 8-12% range when more randos play it which is right on the edge between normal and expert. The hardest part is those two tile gaps you need to squeeze through if you're big Mario which are kind of uncomfortable to pull off.

Pixeltendo posted:

Wiggler Woods
C6V-FMB-FGG

A forest course that uses Wigglers, and springs to get around, this is the kind of course I wish I made in the first game.
How do you have a million new stages every time I check? I played this one. Very nice traditional style stage.

Spellman posted:

Like my last one it's open world, trying to build up a series of stages for people whom like longer stages, but not necessarily harder stages, and have the powerups be more for fun instead of being integral. Also added different routes and solutions to every problem, and screwover opportunities for versus. I came up with a cool boss idea for this one

I didn't get the boss. The thwomps and Yoshi can't kill it. Seemed like it needed to go in one of the pits but it had no intention of doing so.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Here's my Jam level. I hope you all like it and appreciate my artistic genius.

Played this one yesterday but I wanted to bump it now anyway because it's awesome and everyone should play it.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Boiling Backup
4HJ-7JF-CBG

This one is great as well.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 1, 2019

Spellman
May 31, 2011

J-Spot posted:

I didn't get the boss. The thwomps and Yoshi can't kill it. Seemed like it needed to go in one of the pits but it had no intention of doing so.

Hint: he's a wriggler :P

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Macaluso - Spooky Sprint - D9K-NML-FJF
The fast autoscroll really makes it clear how weird SM3DW running is. Coin indicators were on point, got through the final section in one go, I remember you saying you had problems getting it just right. Set the WR.

beerinator - Boot Scoots - 80C-5VN-RFF
At first I thought it was meant to be like a dismount tutorial stage, but I got to the second half and all the blind upwards jumps that are just at the limit of your height made me confused. The most difficult jump doesn't even use the boot, it just uses the falling platforms. I feel like you ran out of boot obstacle ideas so you just threw in some non boot stuff. I liked the first half.

ThisIsACoolGuy - ?????? - 2JW-003-VKF
Fun and funny, Solid level, I had the WR for a bit but not any more, dunno how they topped my time, i was all out the entire level, so congrats to them.

beerinator - Rise of the Haze - V43-Np9-WNG
There are certainly worse 'run back and forth' levels out there. A fine play but for a couple questionable design choices like an unmarked dead end and a bomb omb dispenser that dispenses onto your head. Liked the beer.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Spellman posted:

Hint: he's a wriggler :P

Well I pissed him off but that didn't help.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Actually a item I think worth adding that could be fun are stop watches. Collecting them gives the player 10 - 20 - 30 more seconds on the clock (think a big coin) so people can make levels with ultra tight time limits. I like the idea of making a stage that near perfect play you can get through without needing em, but having them around for the less hardcore crowd.

Plebian Parasite posted:

ThisIsACoolGuy - ?????? - 2JW-003-VKF
Fun and funny, Solid level, I had the WR for a bit but not any more, dunno how they topped my time, i was all out the entire level, so congrats to them.

J-Spot posted:

Played this one yesterday but I wanted to bump it now anyway because it's awesome and everyone should play it.

I'm glad you enjoyed em! I dunno why but I'm trying to put more dumb humor into my levels lately so whenever it works out I'm happy :v:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

J-Spot posted:

How do you have a million new stages every time I check? I played this one. Very nice traditional style stage.

Haha well, I'm a Mario Maker at heart, I've always kind of wanted to make my own Mario game and Maker makes that mostly a reality.

My original plan for MM2 was another 70 levels like on the Wii U, but I had to curb a lot of my ideas when I found out it was 32 limit at first.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The limit is eventually going to be 96 if the third increase is the same as the second.

If you can somehow make 96 good levels then shine on you crazy diamonds.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Doomykins posted:

Tall, Tall Tower
LDF-DN9-41G

By: guppy

A good old fashioned Mario level that hits the spot. I like it, pal!

Thanks! And thank you for playing my level.

I haven't been doing much Mario Maker -- making or playing -- because Fire Emblem came out, but I'll be getting back to it soon. I would play way more levels generally if I could queue them up for myself via the web when away from my Switch, that feature needs to be added yesterday.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Downloaded some goon levels to tide me over through server maintenance.

Mega Action Robot - M.A.R.I.O.

C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la Mario. Still looks pretty cool though.

20 Second Airship Adventure!

I'm not really sure which cannonball jump was supposed to be the hard one, they were all fairly demanding. Kind of annoyed by the possible softlock if you run past the on/off blocks without hitting them; yeah it's a 20s timer but it's still a pain.

Four A Change

Great quick classic level, stomp jumps are always satisfying and they're tuned nicely here

Goombas Working Overtime

An amusing romp. I like the 1up off the parachute goomba, I wish there had been another optional trick/shortcut or two along those lines.

Mario's Mushroom Factory

The theme/story is hilarious but this just didn't grip me. Probably the autoscroll.

Parapet Pause

I enjoyed the platforming but I'm not really sure the gimmick adds much to the level, it seems simpler to not bother with it.

Magikoopa's Castle

More note block jumps than I would prefer. Solid classic level overall, I enjoyed the theme but it could maybe push it harder. It seems to lean on theme more than gameplay but the aesthetics are pretty basic.

Mystery Cave

Amusing concept. The cave part feels like fairly basic classic Mario, which isn't a bad thing.

SMB3 Revival - Giant's Causeway

Felt very authentic to classic SMB3 overall. Maybe a little more crowded with enemies but I found it enjoyably busy.

Race to the Bottom

Very enjoyable race course that's not too difficult. I didn't really run into any rough edges, seems pretty well polished.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's my birthday! Hooray! But the servers are down. Boo. I'm gonna play some story mode until 11 when the servers come back, but then I would like to play and stream some viewer levels. I'm open to any and all kinds! :)

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Straight White Shark posted:

Goombas Working Overtime

An amusing romp. I like the 1up off the parachute goomba, I wish there had been another optional trick/shortcut or two along those lines.

Thanks for playing! There actually are three optional 1-up opportunities in the level including the one you mentioned.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

J-Spot posted:

Thanks for playing! There actually are three optional 1-up opportunities in the level including the one you mentioned.

I know, I just like that sort of setup in particular.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

J-Spot posted:

Well I pissed him off but that didn't help.

Well then you had the right idea, he was just being slippery. A lot of times I just mimic him and it works pretty well, he's got a pretty decent hangtime

https://imgur.com/a/fg3FkkP

The pits are actually there to kill Yoshi since he's kinda a handful in the next area (and you usually take a hit trying to figure this rear end in a top hat out)

Spellman fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 1, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Here's my jam entry for this week, bit shorter and easier than my usual fare, but hopefully someone enjoys it.

Cardboard Castle - HDV BLN MPF

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

guppy posted:

Thanks! And thank you for playing my level.

I haven't been doing much Mario Maker -- making or playing -- because Fire Emblem came out, but I'll be getting back to it soon. I would play way more levels generally if I could queue them up for myself via the web when away from my Switch, that feature needs to be added yesterday.

Yeah I think Nintendo screwed up by not adding the bookmark site again. Downloading levels is wayyyyy easier due to the portable nature of the Switch but its still not as simple as just bookmarking them and then getting to play a whole queue of levels later.

Little Mac posted:

It's my birthday! Hooray! But the servers are down. Boo. I'm gonna play some story mode until 11 when the servers come back, but then I would like to play and stream some viewer levels. I'm open to any and all kinds! :)https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=497168592

Can't watch most streams but I hope you have a happy and fun birthday :toot:

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
Have been working through your levels for the past few days whenever I had time, ended up being quite the undertaking. Wrote down whatever thoughts I had after each stage. I realize some of the details seem extra nit picky, but they're really there to draw attention to something I think might be useful from a feedback perspective. Or I just didn't like it, one of those.

Head in the clouds
The one jump with the koopas is a huge increase in difficulty relative to the rest of the level. It’s also one of the only bottomless pits that isn’t marked by coins

It flowed really well, I had fun. Always nice to find a cape too!

Pipe up
Felt a little bit too long to me, it started to drag a bit towards the end. Despite that, it felt pretty good overall.

Midnight fridge run
I don’t quite understand the theme, but the level was good! Nice use of the pow block lights, it was a dark level that didn’t feel unfair to play.

Coin ball bash
Neat use of the super ball. The pipe piranhas were a bit rude, but there were plenty of power ups available.

Bullet festival
I liked it. The boom boom felt a little out of place towards the end, the rest of the stage didn’t really feel like a boss level.

Jungle crawl
Neat concept with the ground pound blocks, haven’t seen them guarded like that before.

Wetland warriors
Those koopas didn’t seem too vicious! Powerup spacing felt pretty good, and I liked the flow of the level.

Giant jumble
Feels a bit of a shame that you don’t need to switch the size of the world at any time, you could play through the whole level and not notice the gimmick. Enjoyed the layout of the level!

Haunted heights
Not much to say, played vaguely like a ghost house and I enjoyed it.

Magikoopa hot pot
I kind of wish the sub level was an autoscroller so that the camera would keep pace with the level more. The standard camera is pretty bad at going up. Theme was neat.

Toxic friendship
Cute concept. A lot more tolerable than those “goomba escort” maps simply due to speed. The spin jump section (and partially the koopa section) was a bit out of place difficulty wise compare to the rest of the level, but other than that seemed consistent.

The wrecking ruins
Very good decoration here! The stage flowed pretty well.

Great deku tree
Really well done, you translated the rooms pretty well, particularly the first one with the web break.

The climb
Nice and chill. Would’ve been even less stressful without the icicles, but was still nice. Was a bit surprised you didn’t use a vertical subworld.

Purple pipes in the dusty dunes
Can’t really justify why, but something felt off here to me. I think I just got caught by the pipe piranha plants one too many times. I’m also pretty forgetful so being punished for going into the subworld early was a bit rough.

Palace of the pea beetle
Liked the style here. The beetle jumps after the checkpoint were surprisingly difficult for some reason, I think I kept undershooting them.

Cavern of chaos
The fire bros room was uncharacteristically rough, but everything else was fine. The trees didn’t really make it feel like much of a cavern, but the layout was good.

Porcupuffer pond
Pretty good use of the porcupuffer without it feeling overbearing. Fairly short and sweet.

Emergency escape
I enjoyed the chaos here. I think marking a few of the leaps of faith with coins would’ve helped a bit, but in general the way forward was fairly clear.

Vine sauce is hope
Pretty neat vine themed level. Can definitely tell it was intended for a stream but that didn’t really take away from the enjoyment too much. I’m sure someone managed to softlock themselves in those contraptions at the end.

The demon lords castle
I liked the idea of the on off switch affecting the other rooms in a very slight way. The checkpoint setup for infinite checkpoints is a little awkward, you have to go out of your way to "save" your coins.

Mario moon jump
I felt the decision to put spike blocks under the claws was questionable, but mostly because I’m not used to it. Took damage a few times and was fairly confused until I realized what happened. The first checkpoint is probably a little far up (especially because I found the see saw piranha plants the hardest part of the level), but other than that it flowed nicely. Night music is always nice.

Mario’s treetop trouble
The vertical climb was a bit awkward because the camera doesn’t really keep up. Felt harder than the average level of yours that I’ve played, not sure how intentional that was.

Meowser’s big battle
Good use of meowser, this is how I would expect him to be used! A few of the sections forced you to slow down a bit which made getting hit up to RNG which didn’t feel that great, but you had plenty of power ups. The progressive power ups were a bit weird here since you have two power ups at the same time. If you hit them both immediately you just end up with a mushroom, would have preferred a straight cat bell.

The final battle room was also a bit weird since you weren’t required to stay at all. I just skipped it which felt a bit like cheating. If I stayed for the whole battle I would’ve felt like I wasted my time.

UFO? That’s Mario!
The double shell fireflower suit was pretty neat! I liked the theme of the level, but it was a little too slow for me. Good powerup spacing too.

Blast block academy
Seemed to be a good “this is how red pows work” level. The section by the ! Blocks was probably a bit too tough relative to the rest of the level.

Seesaw skies
Nice and simple. The down arrow right before the second checkpoint was a bit rude since there’s no ground underneath it. Could’ve done without the autoscroller, standard would’ve been nicer.

Mariotroid: mushroom mission
The lack of checkpoints could really hurt this one. If I died during the escape sequence it would’ve been pretty disheartening. The level was good to explore the first time, but retracing steps wouldn’t be that exciting.

The perfect run
This was great! Having yoshi pretty near to the beginning definitely brought the galaxy level to mind. The coins were a bit awkward in the cape section because I assumed you would need to keep flying. They stopped kid air so I couldn’t really tell what you expected me to do, and the landing was kind of blind. I didn’t actually get hit, but it’s the only segment where I felt it was a bit unfair.

The McDonald’s level
Pretty weird for you to have the official McDonald’s level on your account! Store design was pretty cute, but I think your burgers could use some work.

Most mountain marathon
I like the concept, I can totally see this working as a versus stage. I think the right side stage 2 was much harder than left side, but they seemed relatively equal in time taken.

Raiding boobarosa’s airship
Heh, boob. No powerup right before the boss door was a bit rough considering you can get there fairly easily with a fireflower on your first attempt. The jumps in the boss fight felt a little tricker than I would have expected from that level. You had a few too many boo rings for my taste, they just slow everything down.

The theme worked out well, the colours with the night theme and everything were nicely put together.

Classic canyon
No prize for making that jump at the start? No 1up or anything :(

The camera felt a bit weird at the beginning due to the raised ground, but there’s not much you can do about that. Very motivational!

The killer cabin
More boo rings? Made things a bit slow, especially the spring at the bottom right. The boo at the top right is a bit rude if you aren’t paying attention when waiting for he spring, but I suspect that was intentional.

You can p switch jump to reach the doors in the first area out of order, but it doesn’t really skip a whole lot.

Winter in 1-1
Very cool concept. In particular, the way the screen scrolled in the subworld the first time was a great “wait, what?” Moment.

Mario’s mushroom factory
I feel a bit bad for all of those galoombas. The boss fight felt a bit out of place, but I have no idea what I’d replace it with to keep the same feeling. Autoscrolling made it feel fairly slow (as expected), getting killed by the very last enemy would seem pretty disheartening.

Overall: I liked basically every level, though the biggest issue I had was the numerous slow sections you had. I remember noting a lack of progressive powerups through more than a few levels, but it doesn't look like I wrote it down for any specific level.

Maxxim fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 1, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

after "spite" playing internet kraken's levels, i have to say you make good levels. using icicles for a rain effect, everything in the beehive level (one which I was anticipating playing when I got to it eventually but was happy to skip to now), and the foghorn in your awesome boat level are all inspired design choices. there's more but i might go into it more when i have more time.

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
Howdy! New to Mario Maker 2 but I'm absolutely loving my time with it, creating levels is something I'm immediately enthralled with and wanted to share my levels and get some feedback.

N9P-HTP-8RF 2 ways 2 win!: My first level, rough around the edges and way too easy, but it felt good to test the waters and get something out there. There really are two paths but they're a bit random and not well thought out!

DR6-KQB-VGF Saws and shooter daves: What, the name? Alcohol. Don't worry about it, won't happen again. I actually really like the platforming in this one, it's got a back and forth section which is a little tricky but otherwise it's not terribly difficult.

4C2-3CQ-HNF Frantic Folly: A jaunty platforming section followed by a simple but fun to look at puzzle.

SMT-7H4-6GG Find the fireflower!: A ghost house that has a very obvious solution, but I decided to give hints to make it even MORE obvious!

XHB-TYR-RVG Twin Mountainsides: I had no idea what the gimmick of this level would be until I got to the halfway point, then I figured out it should be a mirrored-but-with-a-twist style level! Slightly more difficult than previous levels.

L8Y-PBN-V0H Bone stew, just add you!: My first castle level, and it was at this point I decided to err on the side of making levels generally difficult instead of flooding the player with powerups/checkpoints. I know it's a tough balance but I'd rather my levels end up in expert/super-expert than in normal/easy, personally! (It's still not that difficult, imo!)

KYG-GC2-HLF The Mushroom Triathlon!: Finally, a level that I struggled to complete for upload. And it was so much fun that I at one point forgot it was even my level! I hope others will enjoy it as well.

I'll happily accept criticism for any of my levels, especially if there is a soft-lock or easy-skip issue.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

Magikoopa's Castle

More note block jumps than I would prefer. Solid classic level overall, I enjoyed the theme but it could maybe push it harder. It seems to lean on theme more than gameplay but the aesthetics are pretty basic.

Thanks for playing! I originally had some different challenges throughout the level (platforms on tracks outside the castle and Thwomps inside the castle), but I wasn't feeling them, so I simplified a little. And yeah, more decorations would probably help. Still, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

I played your level "Bowser's Carrier Fleet" level. It was lots of fun! I didn't know you could have a flying boot power-up, and I'd never encountered that in another level. Nice use of that mechanic. Also, I always like the SMB3 airship theme. When playing a level like this, I recognize that non-boss levels are fun, and most real Mario levels don't have boss fight. And yet, when I make my own levels, I feel like it should be punctuated by something special at the end. I should get better about ending levels in other ways, since normal platforming is so enjoyable on its own, as in this level.

Little Mac posted:

It's my birthday! Hooray! But the servers are down. Boo. I'm gonna play some story mode until 11 when the servers come back, but then I would like to play and stream some viewer levels. I'm open to any and all kinds! :)

Thanks for playing my level! It's really interesting to see if people approach my levels the way that I expect them to. The platforming all worked out how I wanted (even though you killed the big Magikoopa basically as soon as it appeared!). Is there any way of making normal or big enemies fireball-resistant? It was also satisfying to see you engage with the optional minor challenges, such as the big coins throughout the level. And Happy Birthday!

I played your Labor Dispute level. Good stuff. Those Hammer Bros were a little hard to get past without getting hit, though. I really liked the ending, which was a bit unexpected! Lots of levels do multiple boss fights, and I didn't like the thought I having to beat Bowser again, so the ending was a nice relief. As for social commentary, who was that last enemy supposed to represent?

Huxley posted:

Every day I get home from work and find another person has attempted my "mostly easy, only one hard jump" 20-second challenge. Currently at 0% completion with around 100 attempts.

My other 3 levels get played 2-3 times a day and liked about half the time, so whatever "maker score" means, my little murder baby is balancing the rest of them out single-handedly.

e: Hell, might as well post it again. The one "hard" jump is a cannonball where you realllly have to nail the timing of the jump into it. But it's still just "hold right and run" the whole way, no grabbing or turn-throwing or triple jumping or any of the other stuff I associate with "actual hard" 20s levels.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1155339646508752901

Well, I managed to beat this one after about 20-30 tries (with a whole 0.063 seconds to spare!). Yeah, the jumps are tricky because you have to jump at the very last moment, which feels a little unnatural. Once I got the hang of it, I thought the level was pretty good, and the final jump for the flagpole was clever and unexpected. Still, uhh, I feel like we need to have a talk about what "mostly easy" means... When you have a clear rate of ~1%, you should really consider if "easy" means something different to you than it does to other people. :P

Still, nice work. If you want levels like this to be a bit more accessible, make the jumps *a lot* more forgiving. The first few times I missed the "hard" cannonball jump, I got a little annoyed. That's probably where a lot of people are giving up.

Edit: Played a couple more levels, mentioned above.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 1, 2019

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Plebian Parasite posted:

Here's my jam entry for this week, bit shorter and easier than my usual fare, but hopefully someone enjoys it.

Cardboard Castle - HDV BLN MPF

This level made me very mad before bed, good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I have a level that's in first-draft phase and i'm wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on it. Don't bother leaving likes and stuff, I intend to reupload it at some point with tweaks before I put it on the goon spreadsheet. Anyone interested in taking a look? It's a theme level, so i'm trying to convey a story in addition to having some decent platforming

T7R-1KK-TNF Bring Me Pictures of Spider-Man