Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

LochNessMonster posted:

The Slack client allows you to open multiple spaces and you can cycle to them with ctrl+number.
Yeah I mean I've used computers before, I just want multiple instances of the application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

The Claptain posted:

Something doesn't seem quite right with this job posting.

err what does the VI / VII mean next to college/university?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
For the love of god people, if you use the TOR network AND you use it to access Azure resources, you WILL show up in reports.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I mean I've used computers before,

You have!? What... What's it like? :ohdear:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sickening posted:

For the love of god people, if you use the TOR network AND you use it to access Azure resources, you WILL show up in reports.

lol

Home office chat:

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to make the home office experience more efficient. Right now my main windows desktop is two monitors, but I can't use them for work with the exception of slack. My work laptop is a macbook pro. To get me through this week I connected one of my monitors to the macbook but I don't have a second USB mouse/keyboard. Is there some way I can A/B my mouse/keyboard/monitors to the laptop when it's plugged in without having to constantly move HDMI cables/usb receivers?

I remember there being a utility that would let you use your monitor/keyboard between two machines but the macbook is locked down. I'm guessing I have to get a KVM but if someone has a recommended one for windows/mac that be great

Sepist fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 31, 2019

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sounds like you just need a two-port KVM switch, unless I am misunderstanding your setup.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

xThrasheRx posted:

err what does the VI / VII mean next to college/university?

Bachelors / Masters degree, more or less.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Sirotan posted:

Sounds like you just need a two-port KVM switch, unless I am misunderstanding your setup.

Yea I guess, just wondering if anyone has suggestions for one that works well with mac/windows

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Sepist posted:

lol

Home office chat:

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to make the home office experience more efficient. Right now my main windows desktop is two monitors, but I can't use them for work with the exception of slack. My work laptop is a macbook pro. To get me through this week I connected one of my monitors to the macbook but I don't have a second USB mouse/keyboard. Is there some way I can A/B my mouse/keyboard/monitors to the laptop when it's plugged in without having to constantly move HDMI cables/usb receivers?

I remember there being a utility that would let you use your monitor/keyboard between two machines but the macbook is locked down. I'm guessing I have to get a KVM but if someone has a recommended one for windows/mac that be great

Synergy: https://symless.com/synergy

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah.

Something like this hooked up to a docking station would allow to to just toggle between your computers.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

How many of your employees were surprised by this?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
From personal experience, I'd recommend having a separate keyboard/mouse over a KVM switch. It's too easy to lose which computer's getting input when it's your "normal" setup.

I use InputDirector on my personal stuff, and it works great, but it doesn't look like it's got a Mac client. Microsoft made "Mouse Without Borders" (http://aka.ms/mm) but I've never actually tried it. I used Synergy for years, but stopped when it looked like it was dead for ages, too.

I think the newest Logitech MX Master 2 mice have some input-sharing settings, too?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I forgot about the Logitech thing.

My km combo at work both have this, they can pair up to 3 devices and support both Bluetooth and unifi

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I mean I've used computers before, I just want multiple instances of the application.

Already was a bit surprised by the remark as it seems pretty straight forward :). What’s the upside of multiple instances over 1 instance running multiple workspaces?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You can alt-tab between them, and they will appear separately in your task bar.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sepist posted:

Home office chat:

I just RDP into anything I need, is that an option? For example, my main workstation is 3 monitors, and then I just RDP into my work laptop to do anything I need, leaving me 2 screens for whatever I'd like.

The Fool posted:

You can alt-tab between them, and they will appear separately in your task bar.
Plus, I'd just put my work Slack in one position on the screen and use that 24/7, and then a separate Slack which rotates between SA, Rands, and the Reddit Sysadmin slack, which are the 3 other three I've joined. Since I spend so much time on Slack for work, I simply never rotate to the other servers. I'd just equate it to dragging a browser tab to a separate monitor. Maybe I'm surfing 20 websites like you do, but I drag a Youtube window over to another screen just to keep it in view. That's all I'd like to accomplish with Slack.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 31, 2019

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Unfortunately with the way the work machine is set up, I cant rdp between them. I have a spare 24 inch monitor so I'm just gonna set up a 3rd monitor dedicated to the macbook and buy that multi-device keyboard and mouse. I was gonna go the KVM route but macbooks and external monitors seems like a losing fight.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Sepist posted:

lol

Home office chat:

cheap way of doing this is a real cheap usb switch for the keyboard/mouse and then just use the input buttons on the monitors when you want to switch them

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sepist posted:

Unfortunately with the way the work machine is set up, I cant rdp between them. I have a spare 24 inch monitor so I'm just gonna set up a 3rd monitor dedicated to the macbook and buy that multi-device keyboard and mouse. I was gonna go the KVM route but macbooks and external monitors seems like a losing fight.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mk850-wireless-keyboard-mouse-combo

That's the set that I have at work, I have been very happy with it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm not idling in enough things, what is the Discord link?

https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

SA Code is here: https://discord.gg/5Ws5gSd

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Thank you!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Last company's stuff finally went dark today.

I feel naked knowing there is nothing left to even connect to anymore.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
One of our ATT toll-free numbers isn't working right now, for a location we do not have current billing paperwork or account info for. I have spent 3.5 hours so far today navigating phone menus, being hung up on, transferred to hundreds of departments.

I just can't get a motherfucking tech on the phone to tell me if there's a network issue going on or what. I wonder how long I've been dead and in hell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Methanar posted:

Last company's stuff finally went dark today.

I feel naked knowing there is nothing left to even connect to anymore.

Why worry over someone else's tool to getting rich?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
The logitech solution was almost great. Unfortunately the company laptop blocks the logitech communication on the OS firewall so I can only flow the mouse/keyboard one direction. Still better than what I had though!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

Why worry over someone else's tool to getting rich?

Because I established an emotional attachment to my ssh sessions.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What’s the verdict on working at hospitals?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

Stressful

I would also wager that its one of the few places left where you can work there for the rest of your life though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Woof Blitzer posted:

All the doctors I ever had to work with were either entitled assholes (99%) or just the most lovely people you ever have to deal with from a troubleshooting perspective (1%). There was no in-between.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My wife works in the microbiology lab and can confirm most doctors are assholes

The one exception is a doctor I used to date but she is into pyramid schemes so she's just a rogue

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sepist posted:

The one exception is a doctor I used to date but she is into pyramid schemes so she's just a rogue

It's scary to me that these people have gone to so many years of school yet can't see the forest for the trees on poo poo like that.

See also: people who publicly spout nasty poo poo on facebook and fill their profile up with all their info, publicly available of course

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Woof Blitzer posted:

Doing what? I work at a hospital and I've worked for our corporate side.

At least for this company

Hospital = more laid back get to touch more things

Corporate = silo'd into one specialty and that's all you touch.

edit: oh also, again at least for the company I work for, I'm not salary and get as much real overtime as I want to work!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 31, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A co-worker of mine used to work at a hospital, and the amount of red tape he had to deal with to do anything was insane. 4 to 6 weeks, and multiple meetings to do something as basic as move a switchport from one VLAN to another. A doctor wanted to move the printer from one side of his office to another was a month long ordeal.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

cage-free egghead posted:

It's scary to me that these people have gone to so many years of school yet can't see the forest for the trees on poo poo like that.

They don't see the forest through the trees because they've been the smartest people they know for their entire lives and can't or won't comprehend that their knowledge is limited to a subset of human knowledge.

The Bad With Money thread has talked about this numerous times. Physicians are easy marks for scammers because of this. In my experience other high end, highly educated professions also have this issue but it definitely seems to be the worst with physicians.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My first 13 days at my new job have involved rewriting my own job description, rewriting the mission/mandate of my team and proposing a reorg two levels up in the organization that would make my life easier. I can't wait to Leeroy Jenkins my way back into unemployment

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Or you're going to end up running the entire place.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Woof Blitzer posted:

Medicine, law, and academia are the trifecta of bad places to do IT. Doctors, lawyers, and professors are the worst.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Concept: Assign a user the Adobe Standard DC license in the web interface. User sees option to download from their Adobe account. All is well in the world.

Reality: Assign a user the Adobe Standard DC license in the web interface. User doesn't see the option to download. Deal with being tossed from support agent to support agent for what seems like hours. User still isn't seeing download link.

Summary:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
In my admittedly limited experience: avoid working for the professions (broadly defined) because generally they’ll be run by a professional (managing partner or whatever) who’ll never let the lowest paid professional (25 year old just out of Law or Architecture School) make less than the best paid support person (“support” meaning everything from the Kelly Girl secretary to the CCNP-with-20-years-experience network engineer).

And they ain’t exactly all about ladling money to the new lawyers, either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BeastOfExmoor posted:

They don't see the forest through the trees because they've been the smartest people they know for their entire lives and can't or won't comprehend that their knowledge is limited to a subset of human knowledge.

I think this covers it. They are very highly educated and probably pretty good at something that is very hard to be good at, so they just assume that means that they can intuitively understand all other "lesser" disciplines with no additional effort.

anecdote, but my dad is an attorney, and is just wholly incapable of accepting that there are things he doesn't understand without a huge fight.