Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

piL posted:

Navy, just close your former-O-clubs-turned-garbage-sysco-restaraunts and tell people to have their marriages/prom dinners/Christmas parties in town. It's less grafty that way.

Granted it's been a few years since I was there but Whidbey O-club was still pretty legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
So the audio from Sky Penis went public today I guess. It's amazing. Forgive the reddit link

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/ch8wct/it_took_2_years_for_the_audio_of_the_navy_pilots/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
There's your recruiting ad, right there. "Yeah you can put in a chit to be a pilot after boot camp, totally!"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You can put in a chit for anything. Thats what they are there for.

Doesn't mean it will ever happen.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So went to our local DEERS station to get my husband a new ID (did not realize his expired before mine did). After handing her my CAC the lady at the counter was like "that doesn't look like you". I just kind of laughed but was like yeah me right after my MOB was 25lbs lighter and did not have LASIK yet. Thanks for reminding me that I should get back in actual shape and not just Navy reserve fit shape lady.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

and not just Navy reserve fit shape lady.

Hey! Ouch.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn’t the Navy Reserve our nations most elite line of defense right between the Coast Guard Auxillary and the League Of Women Voters?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Isn’t the Navy Reserve our nations most elite line of defense right between the Coast Guard Auxillary and the League Of Women Voters?

Those guys and gals at least do it for free. I gotta be payed.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Man I wish it was like The Simpsons. The reserve is death by paperwork and incompetent full time support who are some of the laziest and least intellectually curious individuals in the world

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nick Soapdish posted:

Man I wish it was like The Simpsons. The reserve is death by paperwork and incompetent full time support who are some of the laziest and least intellectually curious individuals in the world

Oh god as HMs with near zero advancement for active we have all these 6-8 year FTS Chiefs with no deployments who think they’re gods gift to military medicine.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

When do you go on terminal?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

loving base police booted my buddies car we commuted in together. Didn’t realize carpooling was a crime.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

loving base police booted my buddies car we commuted in together. Didn’t realize carpooling was a crime.

ACAB

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So annoying because I have permit prominently displayed and unexpired but my company didn’t get approved for parking privileges this year so on the back end it expired.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

LingcodKilla posted:

Boot for a boot.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nick Soapdish posted:

You're a DC2 who can't make rate? Go to a NOSC and become the IT manager! You'll also be the sole person in charge of GTCCs! You got plenty of rate training on that already, I'm sure.

No? Then you must be an AO3 from a decomissioned squadron who's now in charge of RESPAY. Yes, your bomb-building experience is directly applicable to making sure all 400+ reservists have proper tax and bank info on file so they can get paid properly! You're also the FINAL STOP for all drill pay of any kind!

Again; the NOSC is about people, not jobs. If you get a good person in that job, the NOSC is great. If you get a bad person in that job, then it's two years of misery.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nick Soapdish posted:

When do you go on terminal?

On con leave right now and through August. Take TGPS in early Sept and drop terminal right after. For all intents and purposes I'm already done. Just can't smoke weed yet.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Finally got selected for :chiefsay:

I'll report back in 6 weeks.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DustyNuts posted:

Congratulations! I hope you have a good Mess that doesn't do loving games and makes it worthwhile. If not, well, you at least know what not to do when you're on the other side.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

DustyNuts posted:

Congratulations.

Over/under for how much goat skull paraphernalia Dusty will buy: 6

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DustyNuts posted:

My condolences.

Don't be a bad one.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Congratulations, Dusty! Keep your box close and just remember it's all BS designed to break you down and have you ask for help.

At least, that's what a CWO5 once told me about Chief initiation.

As for how much goat skull paraphernalia: 3.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Get your skull sticker for your rear window before they all sell out. (Little tip from a guy who's been there!)

bengy81
May 8, 2010
0 skulls
4 pirate stickers and a shirt

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

Congratulations, Dusty! Keep your box close and just remember it's all BS designed to break you down and have you ask for help.

At least, that's what a CWO5 once told me about Chief initiation.

As for how much goat skull paraphernalia: 3.

Why wouldnt you ask for help?

Also go relearn your dumb knots. It was really embarrassing for everyone involved to have to teach first classes how to tie a bowline for your silly games.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DustyNuts posted:

Congratulations and/or condolences where appropriate.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Why wouldnt you ask for help?

Also go relearn your dumb knots. It was really embarrassing for everyone involved to have to teach first classes how to tie a bowline for your silly games.

Because people are stubborn and think they can do all of the bullshit craft projects on their own? I dunno. All I know is that the Unicorn told me that, and frankly, I'd believe most things the Unicron told me. She was always a pretty awesome person.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Grats Dusty!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

Because people are stubborn and think they can do all of the bullshit craft projects on their own? I dunno. All I know is that the Unicorn told me that, and frankly, I'd believe most things the Unicron told me. She was always a pretty awesome person.

This paragraph is wonderful to take literally.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
don't you get an egg carton of problem sailors who are fragile, much like an egg is fragile?

on leave in singapore currently, way too much to do here for the short time i have. this deployment is a loving debacle, i've got some fun stories that i am not sharing until i EAOS

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Eat as much food as possible and stay out of Orchid Towers should be at the top of the list.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

don't you get an egg carton of problem sailors who are fragile, much like an egg is fragile?

on leave in singapore currently, way too much to do here for the short time i have. this deployment is a loving debacle, i've got some fun stories that i am not sharing until i EAOS

Go to the Indian or Chinese districts and find a tailor, have them take your measurements, and buy a pile of tailored shirts in whatever fabrics you want. Maybe even a full suit or two. Most of them will also take orders over email and mail them to the US so you can always reorder later. I went to this place called little India master tailor last two times I was there and they were great. Its cheap compared to going to any suit store in the US. And tailored button up shirts look excellent.

Orchid tower is a scam and a money pit and almost assuradly a den of human trafficking and drug rings. The reality is far more disappointing than the legend that has sprung up around it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
For lurkers in this thread Orchid tower is colloquially referred to as the 'four floors of whores' among sailors. Maybe in the 80's it was a popping place deserving of its reputation, but its long gone.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

For lurkers in this thread Orchid tower is colloquially referred to as the 'four floors of whores' among sailors. Maybe in the 80's it was a popping place deserving of its reputation, but its long gone.

Honestly it's the old dudes who are more into whores that I've seen in the merchant marine, maybe whorehouses are going downhill accordingly, tho the bigger European districts still seem quite whoretastic

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

Honestly it's the old dudes who are more into whores that I've seen in the merchant marine, maybe whorehouses are going downhill accordingly, tho the bigger European districts still seem quite whoretastic

poo poo.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Orchard Towers, however, is a reputable collection of local businesses.

The escalator ride is worth bringing an adventurous friend unjaded by SE Asia on, but just have a drink and gtfo unless you're on babysitting duty.

In fact (with the exception of 28 Hong Kong Street and a hotel jazz bar I stumbled into) downtown and orchard mostly sucks unless you're China rich trying to show off cool mall purchases.

Instead (and you didn't ask), my recommended Singapore activity revolves around cocktail prices. Since drinks are super expensive anyway ($15 poo poo beer/$20 for a glorified vodka chu-hi) instead spring for one of the best, if not the best craft cocktail scenes in the world. Going rate for one of the best old fashioneds, a smoke infused sake, or something creative you'll never again make is $5 more than the koolaid and vodka described above.

Two year old recommendations to get you started:

Bar Stories, which supposedly brought craft cocktail to Singapore, is in a cool district, illuminated by a tokyo-golden-gai style sign and maybe a marquee if you're lucky. There is no menu; describe what you want to the bartender and they'll make you something great.

28 Hong Kong Street is fake hidden behind what looks like a closed store front, but it's not really locked. Classy wood and stone interior, and the best Negroni I ever had.

Neon Pigeon was amazing, and the bar was always open since Singaporeans hadn't yet attached status to bar seats, and still thought the cool status symbol is sitting at a table. Hopefully for the prospective reader this is still true so you can get a cabbage cocktail or a smoke infused sake Negroni.

Dress like what an rear end in a top hat who says "dress like an adult" means, and check out ATLAS for a super cool building, an amazing and expensive restaurant that serves drinks for "normal" Singapore prices, look at the art deco interior, and examine from a safe-wallet-closed distance the absurd gin collection.

Last recommendation, since I'm out of date, is Crackerjack. The staff seemed to be rotating through supercool hip young mixologists who ca tell you where you should have went instead of my stupid list. Food is great. This is where you need to ask the bartenders for recommendations. Ask whether Junior is crowded and if you can go. Expensive but a unique experience, they focus on one liquor at a time and you're paying for a combination of the rarity and the tutelage. Seriously, go, learn some poo poo and ask a lot of questions and stories. Blow $120.

Other notable recommendations that are just as good as the list above: Catchfly, The Tippling club*, Gibson bar, Operation Dagger*, Employees Only*, Maison Ikkoku, Jigger and Pony, Spiffy Dapper. A * means some sort of novelty worth investigating, or that you might need some extra effort to get in.

Man, I miss Singapore :(.

Edit: Oh, and grats Dusty!

piL fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 1, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If you’re going out there is a little alley street just west of downtown called Club Street that’s off of Cross and South bridge near Clarke quay. Lots of American/British/Australian ex-pats around there and the scene is much nicer than the tourist trap of Clarke Quay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oops. The company that runs NMCI on Bremerton somehow didn’t get any parking attached to our on base offices with our new contract. We have to move 16 company vehicles off base and lost all 20 or so contractor parking spaces.

Gonna be a lot of downed switches not getting reboots for weeks.

So really not much will change.