Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pictured: the Mayor of London

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Is there somewhere I can live that is dark, cold and constantly overcast?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

Dikson, on Russia’s Arctic coast.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

White = :yayclod:

Blue = ☀️

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

your argument has shifted from macro scale population comparisons between nationally recognized cities to the details of local tax law and i guess the contents of your argument are less important than that arguing makes you feel alive. good luck to you

Those are both things that can be compared and measured between cities my dear. This is hardly a controversial statement.

Shockingly you can compare both New York City's population and New York City's income tax rate to Philadelphia's - or Yonkers', or Fresno.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Faroe island sound like they'd be up your alley, the capital of Torshavn averages barely more than 2 hours of sunshine a day. However just about anywhere with a subpolar oceanic climate(Cfc and Cwc on this map) should fit the bill:

This map doesn't have the resolution for them to show up but I'm pretty sure most of those dinky little islands in the southern ocean like the Falklands fit the bill

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

fishmech posted:

Nope they are in fact useful. Turns out you can in fact compare aspects of cities, by comparing aspects of cities, and this is meaningful.

But do go on about how Cheyenne and Bakersfield are in fact identical, or whatever it is you're on.

Here's a pretty good article about different ways you can look at urban areas, which mostly uses Los Angeles as an example.

https://www.citylab.com/design/2011/09/defining-cities-metropolitan-world/102/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Can't believe this place that never rains is running out of water and constantly on fire.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Platystemon posted:

Dikson, on Russia’s Arctic coast.

I want to live somewhere that's always above 70, below 80, and always constantly terribly foggy. I've asked this on the internet multiple times multiple places hoping some tiny parcel of land somewhere in the whole world would have this microclimate but it seems it just doesn't exist. Which makes sense considering the conditions necessary for fog.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xelkelvos posted:

Shameful. That's the width of the state I live in. The length of my state is at least a 7 hour drive iirc, not counting the key.

I thought the average state size was 4 hours. This is very disconcerting.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want to live somewhere that's always above 70, below 80, and always constantly terribly foggy. I've asked this on the internet multiple times multiple places hoping some tiny parcel of land somewhere in the whole world would have this microclimate but it seems it just doesn't exist. Which makes sense considering the conditions necessary for fog.

Some options would be the west coasts of most dry tropical deserts. Lima, Peru is pretty drat close to what you want, with very frequent fog and very moderate tropical temperatures. Slightly colder than you desire at some times of the year, but pretty close:

However some people say Lima's "fog" is more like a light rain, so if you are determined to be picky it might not suit you.

The other climate that could possibly meet these criteria is tropical cloud forest. So Monteverde Costa Rica for example, and a lot of areas in the Andes. I don't think any place will have a temperature band THAT narrow though. Monteverde is like 60-80 all year. I don't know if anywhere on earth has temperatures that regular

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Two approaches come to mind.

One is cheating and I’ll get that out of the way: hang out near a hot spring.

The world’s second largest is Boiling Lake on Dominica.

Pont Cassé has the nearest weather station. It’s nine kilometres from the lake and on the other side of the ridge, so it’s not necessarily a perfect representation of the weather of the lake.

That said, the weather doesn’t do a particularly bad job of aiming for the goals even without the lake’s help.

There’s a good chance of busting the lower end of the range at night but other than that it looks great.

Cloud cover could be better. Those are rookie numbers in this racket. Not all cloud cover is fog, but all fog is cloud cover. Still, the steam coming off the lake might be enough.

This is the deathblow to the dream of perpetual fog. From November to May, the lake is going to struggle to put enough moisture in the air, I think.

Let’s look at the other approach: tropical cloud forest. There is a reason that gorillas are in the mist.

I looked around and found Ambunti, Papua New Guinea.

The humidity is oppressive here.

Temperature is biased high, but it’s consistent.

Cloud cover is overwhelming. Good luck seeing the Sun.

Ambunti itself is along a river and not far above sea level. Climb the hills and you’ll drop that temperature and perhaps put your head in the clouds, catching two pigeons with one fava bean.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Squalid posted:

Faroe island sound like they'd be up your alley, the capital of Torshavn averages barely more than 2 hours of sunshine a day. However just about anywhere with a subpolar oceanic climate(Cfc and Cwc on this map) should fit the bill:

This map doesn't have the resolution for them to show up but I'm pretty sure most of those dinky little islands in the southern ocean like the Falklands fit the bill

Hmmm...enhance.

Enhance.

Enhance!

:hist101:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
In the "NWO" (new weather order) southern/central europe is an uninhabitable desert in the summer and the UK is the new french riviera.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Wow fishmech really hosed that one up. I'll remember this day forever

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Ras Het posted:

Wow fishmech really hosed that one up. I'll remember this day forever

Did you know the City of London has ~8000 inhabitants? It’s not even in the top 500 localities in the UK! The most important city in the UK is Birmingham, by a huge margin, having 500,000 more inhabitants than Liverpool.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fishmech has basically completed his transformation into the forum's ben shapiro and I refuse to read his posts in any other voice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

Fishmech has basically completed his transformation into the forum's ben shapiro and I refuse to read his posts in any other voice.

Her posts.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Honj Steak posted:

Did you know the City of London has ~8000 inhabitants? It’s not even in the top 500 localities in the UK! The most important city in the UK is Birmingham, by a huge margin, having 500,000 more inhabitants than Liverpool.

Speaking of the devil the UK :v::

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It doesn't matter, any day now Volkswagen will just tell Merkel to give us a good deal and we'll be on our merry way.

Any. Day. Now.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

fishmech posted:

Yep they do. You just seem to be salty because some city you like has ugly borders or something?

All cities have ugly borders except Baltimore.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Honj Steak posted:

Yeah "London" is a shambling congeries of low density suburbia with pointlessly divided jurisdiction and a so-called City Hall that they have to rent from a private company, quite sad. The English spirit in a nutshell

It's probably why Brexit keeps happening under the leadership of former London leader "Boris Johnson". At least the Birmingham people have a nice accent.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Byzantine posted:

Not Greece, that's drat sure.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

System Metternich posted:

Speaking of the devil the UK :v::

Wait really?? Cyprus gets off scott free? I assumed they'd take a big hit because of tourism/old expat retirees dropping out, but they'll barely notice it?
lol awesome, they get to have their cake and eat it too (unlike poor Ireland...)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Lol imagine living somewhere like Inglewood or Downey and being told you don't live in "Los Angeles" by fishmech.

"Ya me and my wife went to Vegas for vacation and stayed in the Mandalay Bay, it was great."
"Um actually, you stayed in the unincorporated city of Paradise. You must feel so silly."

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 1, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

fishmech posted:

At least the Birmingham people have a nice accent.

Don't they sound like Ozzy Osbourne? That's definitely on the low end of good English accents (Yorkshire and Liverpool are the actual best, tied).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pook Good Mook posted:

Lol imagine living somewhere like Inglewood or Downey and being told you don't live in "Los Angeles" by fishmech.

"Ya me and my wife went to Vegas for vacation and stayed in the Mandalay Bay, it was great."
"Um actually, you stayed in the unincorporated city of Paradise. You must feel so silly."

You sure seem angry about the fact that you can compare Inglewood to Los Angeles, or indeed Inglewood to Paradise.

Really quite amazing.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Two approaches come to mind.

One is cheating and I’ll get that out of the way: hang out near a hot spring.

The world’s second largest is Boiling Lake on Dominica.

Pont Cassé has the nearest weather station. It’s nine kilometres from the lake and on the other side of the ridge, so it’s not necessarily a perfect representation of the weather of the lake.

That said, the weather doesn’t do a particularly bad job of aiming for the goals even without the lake’s help.

There’s a good chance of busting the lower end of the range at night but other than that it looks great.

Cloud cover could be better. Those are rookie numbers in this racket. Not all cloud cover is fog, but all fog is cloud cover. Still, the steam coming off the lake might be enough.

This is the deathblow to the dream of perpetual fog. From November to May, the lake is going to struggle to put enough moisture in the air, I think.

Let’s look at the other approach: tropical cloud forest. There is a reason that gorillas are in the mist.

I looked around and found Ambunti, Papua New Guinea.

The humidity is oppressive here.

Temperature is biased high, but it’s consistent.

Cloud cover is overwhelming. Good luck seeing the Sun.

Ambunti itself is along a river and not far above sea level. Climb the hills and you’ll drop that temperature and perhaps put your head in the clouds, catching two pigeons with one fava bean.

Huh guess I was wrong about how common super low temperature variation is. Although tbf we are talking averages, so irl you’ll see things leave that range occasionally

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Wikipedia posted:

The concept of Urbanized Areas as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau is often used as a more accurate gauge of the size of a city, since in different cities and states the lines between city borders and the urbanized area of that city are often not the same. For example, the city of Greenville, South Carolina has a city population just over 64,000 and an urbanized area population of over 800,000, while Greensboro, North Carolina has a city population just over 285,000 and an urbanized area population of around 400,000 — meaning that Greenville is actually "larger" for some intents and purposes, but not for others, such as taxation, local elections, etc.

It seems to me that being absolutist about which definition best fits the notion of 'city' as used casually (emphasis for people who care more about arguing about definitions than about being misleading) is unwise. Choosing between urban area population and metropolitan area population for the purpose of 'city size' does not seem like a no-brainer in general. However, being a stickler about formal city limits over urban area seems obtuse. As mentioned, formal city limits are relevant for studying some aspects, but when someone wants to talk about 'city size' in a more general sense the formal limits are just a legal construct rather than something inherently meaningful.

e: Going by city limits, Memphis, TN (2017 est population 652,236) is considerably larger than Miami (2018 est population 470,914).

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 2, 2019

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

FreeKillB posted:

It seems to me that being absolutist about which definition best fits the notion of 'city' as used casually (emphasis for people who care more about arguing about definitions than about being misleading) is unwise. Choosing between urban area population and metropolitan area population for the purpose of 'city size' does not seem like a no-brainer in general. However, being a stickler about formal city limits over urban area seems obtuse. As mentioned, formal city limits are relevant for studying some aspects, but when someone wants to talk about 'city size' in a more general sense the formal limits are just a legal construct rather than something inherently meaningful.

e: Going by city limits, Memphis, TN (2017 est population 652,236) is considerably larger than Miami (2018 est population 470,914).
Sydney is the 7th largest city in Sydney.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > politically-loaded fonts (which are also maps)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Honj Steak posted:

Did you know the City of London has ~8000 inhabitants?

The question of how the City went from being like 150k people in the 19th century to being like 5k at the turn of the 21st is very interesting to me. Was it just people leaving the squalor of the center city as public and other transportation improved until it was completely hollowed out and could be turned into the financial district we know today?

And for the 8k residents present now, are they all mega rich finance people living in cavernous townhouses and duplex sky palace apartments or is it something else?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > politically-loaded fonts (which are also maps)

This is actually impressive work.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Grape posted:

Don't they sound like Ozzy Osbourne? That's definitely on the low end of good English accents (Yorkshire and Liverpool are the actual best, tied).

Ozzy Osbourne, minus the 40 years of drinking and drugs.

Not that I claim my Brummie accent is any good. The rest of Britain hate it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ellspurs posted:

Ozzy Osbourne, minus the 40 years of drinking and drugs.
Let's not speak for all of Birmingham.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bloodnose posted:

The question of how the City went from being like 150k people in the 19th century to being like 5k at the turn of the 21st is very interesting to me. Was it just people leaving the squalor of the center city as public and other transportation improved until it was completely hollowed out and could be turned into the financial district we know today?

And for the 8k residents present now, are they all mega rich finance people living in cavernous townhouses and duplex sky palace apartments or is it something else?

Half the modern population lives in the postwar Barbican Estate project. In the 19th and 20th centuries, vast amounts of old housing was demolished in favor of office and industrial buildings, greatly reducing the resident population. But there's half a million people who commute in for work these days.

The Barbican Estate is, iirc, designed so that its residential portion is significantly composed of apartments to be made available for low and middle income families - leaving the resident population of the district much lower income than you might expect for a CBD.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 2, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

yeah, industrial era cities in industrialized nations hung onto their early modern/medieval core areas with pedestrian oriented urban fabric, except with like 10x people as the hinterlands depopulated and people came hunting for jobs. this lead to overcrowding to the point that new innovations in sanitation and transportation were necessary just to mitigate mass sickness and death. the invention of railroads allowed suburbs to proliferate, railroads became miniaturized for local urban use first as horse drawn streetcars, then eventually to small steam trains and eventually electric trains. sometimes you could put the trains underground. this allowed everyone, first the wealthy and then the masses, to spread out such that you didn't have to stack people to the rafters except in the very largest cities (american cities, especially in the northeast, stayed crowded for much longer because of unceasing waves of immigration)

this is the historic circumstance which leads the City of London to be much smaller than the city of London

Bloodnose posted:

mostly, but in historic/financial districts where some people still life like the ile de la cite or south of wall street, you're likely to find wealthy people that live very locally to their jobs because they can but also folks who have inherited an extremely prestigious living situation and also the odd assortment of relatively affordable rentals, except with a "you live where?" tier address

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 2, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tei posted:

I don't think terrorism is a solution to fascism.

Terrorism polarize society and scare the "normal guy" that you want to involve into forcing the government out.

The normal guy is a para-fascist and should be shot.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't the City of London a totally separate entity from the city of London?

Like it's administered by guilds and corporations because of some bullshit medieval legal poo poo and not at all connected to the actual city of London where millions of people live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't the City of London a totally separate entity from the city of London?

Like it's administered by guilds and corporations because of some bullshit medieval legal poo poo and not at all connected to the actual city of London where millions of people live.

The vast majority of its special rights and privileges have been reduced to parades and dinners where bankers can show off while hanging out with the queen or minor royalty. It forms a district of the entity known as "Greater London" these days with slightly more independence than the other 32 districts (which are called boroughs currently). It is a separate county from the one that Greater London also is, but counties now mean very little and wildly varying things between each other these days.