Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Is that a secure thing to log into with your Steam info?

If so, do you need a lot of Refined Metal to buy stuff? I tried to scrounge up some of up my duplicate weapons to smelt, but even then I think I only was able to craft one Reclaimed (I'm only scrapping regular, non-unique weapons, and I want to hang on to at least two for...some reason)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I've made 3000+ trades with scrap.tf since 2012, no issues. They're well known and legit. Steamauth doesn't give away your login info anyway.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Max Wilco posted:

Is that a secure thing to log into with your Steam info?

You don't log into that site with your Steam info. You log into Steam, and then Steam will tell that site that yes, you're totally Max Wilco.

Obviously, don't give your Steam password to anything that isn't Steam.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jabor posted:

You don't log into that site with your Steam info. You log into Steam, and then Steam will tell that site that yes, you're totally Max Wilco.

Would it be possible to have it recognized automatically if one via Steam's in-game web browser?

Jabor posted:

Yeah, I see it links to the Steam/Valve Corp now, and its got a verified security certificate.

Guess I'll give it a shot. I can always change my password later if I get paranoid.

EDIT: Oh, I guess trading isn't available right now; probably because of the hat economy crashing. Oh well! Guess I'll try again next week or something :v:

quote:

Geel:
For the time being, auctions and unusual trading are disabled. We plan to re-enable both soon after Valve makes a final announcement, which should hopefully occur Monday.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 1, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The dude who runs scrap/marketplace is a cool dude and the sites have never had an issue with user data, although he did accidentally send out a test email where he called everyone gay and then profusely apologized for it.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

If anybody is looking to break into the hat trading game, I've still got some stuff that's up for grabs.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Infernal_Orchestrina
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Argyle_Ace
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Holy_Hunter (Halloween restricted)

Probably only worth a fraction of a refined each, but hey:
:bubblewoop: They're FREEEEEE :bubblewoop:

Steam name is the same. Avatar is similar.

they claimed

Galaxander fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 1, 2019

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: Oh, I guess trading isn't available right now; probably because of the hat economy crashing. Oh well! Guess I'll try again next week or something :v:

Auctions and Unusual Trading aren't for standard hat trading - AFAIK everything on the page I linked a few posts ago works perfectly.

Most "craft" hats, (older series hats, unpopular hats, common hats, etc.) are 1 refined + 1 reclaimed metal (1.33ref) each. These are at the bottom of the page. Higher value hats can reach 100+ refined metal (about 2 TF2 MannCo Crate Keys) but 99% will be less than that. There are some sweet craft hats to be had for cheap!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Galaxander posted:

If anybody is looking to break into the hat trading game, I've still got some stuff that's up for grabs.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Infernal_Orchestrina
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Argyle_Ace
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Holy_Hunter (Halloween restricted)

Probably only worth a fraction of a refined each, but hey:
:bubblewoop: They're FREEEEEE :bubblewoop:

Steam name is the same. Avatar is similar.

I'd definitely be interested, I'll message you on Steam about it in a minute

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Otacon posted:

Most "craft" hats, (older series hats, unpopular hats, common hats, etc.) are 1 refined + 1 reclaimed metal (1.33ref) each. These are at the bottom of the page. Higher value hats can reach 100+ refined metal (about 2 TF2 MannCo Crate Keys) but 99% will be less than that. There are some sweet craft hats to be had for cheap!

what the gently caress happened to keys and metal?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Araxxor posted:

the slow march of time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I just can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn lately unless I'm playing Sniper(and even there I'm only doing so-so), part of the problem is that I'm definitely having performance problems even after using that Master Comfig program, and the other is that I had lost a long while ago the sensitivity settings I originally had and I just can't seem to find ones that work for me

Might just be me getting "old" and my already bleh reaction speed going even further into the trash though

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Araxxor posted:

Remember when keys were traded at 2.33 refined metal per key? I do.

This time last year keys were about 25 refined metal. In the past 12 months they've about doubled in metal cost. As of right now, backpack.tf is reading them at 53 ref each.

So what happened?

Unusuals and high-ticket items used to be priced in Earbuds, which at their peak earned about 20 keys each. The community decided this was too much, so they decided to cut out the middleman, so to say, and started pricing everything in keys. Earbuds dropped to their current pricing, about 2-2.5 keys per Bud. Buds were now less sought after and keys became the defacto "big spender" currency. The only thing Keys can be priced off of anymore is refined metal.

Metal keeps flowing into the economy at breakneck speeds. Weapons continue to drop, players continue to accrue metal. There aren't really any "metal sinks" in the community - nobody wants to smash together 3ref for a hat that might only be worth 1.33ref, so it sits and sits and there's more than ever. Refined has dropped in actual $ price (now only about 3-4 cents USD each) but since Crate Keys are only available through Valve for $2.49, and then from there are sold/traded/used, they're of a more finite quantity.

TL;DR: Supply and demand. It's wack.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 1, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
they should make things like the spirit of halloween, giftapults, and maybe mann up tickets be craftable with metal. Things that people will use and sink metal out of the economy.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 1, 2019

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Otacon posted:

Remember when keys were traded at 2.33 refined metal per key? I do.

This time last year keys were about 25 refined metal. In the past 12 months they've about doubled in metal cost. As of right now, backpack.tf is reading them at 53 ref each.

So what happened?

Unusuals and high-ticket items used to be priced in Earbuds, which at their peak earned about 20 keys each. The community decided this was too much, so they decided to cut out the middleman, so to say, and started pricing everything in keys. Earbuds dropped to their current pricing, about 2-2.5 keys per Bud. Buds were now less sought after and keys became the defacto "big spender" currency. The only thing Keys can be priced off of anymore is refined metal.

Metal keeps flowing into the economy at breakneck speeds. Weapons continue to drop, players continue to accrue metal. There aren't really any "metal sinks" in the community - nobody wants to smash together 3ref for a hat that might only be worth 1.33ref, so it sits and sits and there's more than ever. Refined has dropped in actual $ price (now only about 3-4 cents USD each) but since Crate Keys are only available through Valve for $2.49, and then from there are sold/traded/used, they're of a more finite quantity.

TL;DR: Supply and demand. It's wack.

To further explain, Valve used to add the new waves of hats to the craft pool. The first 100 hats crafted of a certain kind are numbered in the item description. Hats with a low number or nice looking number (like multiples of 10, 69...) are valuable to collectors, so people would hoard metal in order to craft like a maniac the second Valve added new hats to the pool hoping for a numbered one.

At some point Valve stopped doing this so people stopped hoarding metal and its value has been decreasing over time, the only reason it still retains some is because they've been promising for years they're going to implement new ways to spend metal so some people still collect it just in case.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Also, part of what gave buds value was the fixed amount. Once the TF2 for Mac promotion ended, buds stopped being created and (theoretically) would never be created again. With the exception of buds being liberated from old forgotten backpacks, no more would enter the ecosystem and the supply (THEORETICALLY) was limited. The (THEORETICALLY) fixed, (THEORETICALLY) limited supply made it a good backing currency, kinda like gold in real life.

The problem is that these properties also made them a good target for people exploiting Valve’s backpack recovery system to duplicate items. Because of this, the amount of buds in the ecosystem doubled between the end of the Mac promotion and the bud crash.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I have a pair of OG buds but I didn't play TF2 during the time when they were actually worth something.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If they just implemented some silly "help build the bridge to the moon" event where your score was a (maybe slightly indirect) measure of how much metal you burned for the event, refined's value would skyrocket and the tf2 economy would experience a fun phase of chaos.

Hire me Valve

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I had a chance to get buds during that promotion. I should have asked my single Mac-using friend for help. Oh well!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So it used to be that if you suspected someone was aimhacking, you would spectate them to confirm. Now that spectating is disabled, what do you do when you think an enemy player might be hacking?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

probably just leave because the framework in place to discourage hackers is nonexistent and valve doesn't give a poo poo

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Otacon posted:

Auctions and Unusual Trading aren't for standard hat trading - AFAIK everything on the page I linked a few posts ago works perfectly.

I tried buying a craft hat, but it looks like I have to have the Moblie Authenticator set up for a week first before I can do instant trades. Guess that means I'll have to get the Steam app on my phone.

It's probably good that I do that anyway. I get paranoid about losing my phone and being locked out of my account, but it's probably more secure to do the 2-step authentication. Plus, if I set up a phone number, I'll be able to play Competitive in TF2 and probably immediately regret it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Max Wilco posted:

play Competitive in TF2
:laugh::holy::cawg:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I played one game of comp and I won, I'll forever be undefeated in tf2 competitive play.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ariong posted:

So it used to be that if you suspected someone was aimhacking, you would spectate them to confirm. Now that spectating is disabled, what do you do when you think an enemy player might be hacking?

leave the server, go into matchmaking, get placed back into the same server, repeat as necessary until your will to live is depleted

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Worst thing about going back to TF2 is getting hit with 22 second respawn times.

But it's still better than the never ending guantlet of trying to push last in Overwatch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's kind of amazing how a 22 second respawn time followed by three seconds of walking to reach the fight is way more stress-inducing than a 5 second respawn followed by twenty seconds of walking.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jabor posted:

It's kind of amazing how a 22 second respawn time followed by three seconds of walking to reach the fight is way more stress-inducing than a 5 second respawn followed by twenty seconds of walking.

Loss of control can cause players to feel that way in one game, even if it the time to actually get back to the action is similar in both cases.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Update on The Crate Depression of 2019 posted:

On the evening of Thursday, July 25th, a bug was introduced that allowed some older crates to grant an Unusual hat on every opening. We fixed the bug the following morning and decided to trade-lock the hats from the bugged crates while we evaluated the situation.

Over the past week, we have been discussing ways to address this situation with the goal of minimizing the impact on the TF2 community as a whole, while preserving the experience of customers who had simply opened a crate, made a trade, or purchased from the market on the 25th, unaware that a bug produced their item.

During our investigation we discovered that a small number of accounts acquired these hats and a smaller portion of those accounts acquired an exceedingly large number of them. Based on this, we've decided that if you currently own one of these Unusual hats, the first one added to your account will be made tradable. Any other Unusual you have received due to the bug will remain permanently trade locked. If you decide that you would rather not have these trade-locked hats on your account, you may instead elect a full refund on any number of them.

The number of Unusual items being made tradable represents about one month of the regular Unusual drop rate.

A few of you were concerned that you had done something wrong by opening a bugged crate, and proceeded to delete your hats. While we appreciate the concern, you didn't do anything wrong, so hats from bugged crates deleted before the tradable date will be restored to your accounts with the same restrictions described above.

Item tradability, restoration, and the refund support page will be made available in about a weeks time. We will post an update when that exact date becomes available.

We apologize for the inconvenience of this incident, and we’ve added safeguards to prevent incidents like this in the future.

TLDR

The first crate depression hat you unboxed or bought will be tradable in a week.

Any other crate depression hats will tradelocked, but "refundable" to Valve - it's unclear what that means.

If you deleted any crate depression hats, they will be restored upon request.

No cheater's lament whether you were asleep or not.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 3, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
During our investigation we discovered that a small number of accounts acquired these hats and a smaller portion of those accounts acquired an exceedingly large number of them.

lol

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I assume the refund thing means that you will he able to effectively delete a Crate Depression hat you bought off the store in exchange for whatever you paid for it being credited to your Steam wallet.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ariong posted:

I assume the refund thing means that you will he able to effectively delete a Crate Depression hat you bought off the store in exchange for whatever you paid for it being credited to your Steam wallet.

I'm pretty sure when they say refund they mean the cost of the key, not however much you paid some dude for your black market fancy hat.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Seems like a pretty fair deal, or at least as much of one as could be hoped for. No doubt people are melting down about it as we speak.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

They added a line to that paragraph:

quote:

Item tradability, restoration, and the refund support page will be made available in about a week's time. Refunds will be the full price paid for any hats, crates or keys bought on the Steam Community Market or Mann Co. store. We will post an update when that exact date becomes available.

I'd interpret that to mean: if you bought the hat from the market, you get credited that amount. If you opened a crate you just had, you get credited what you paid for the key. If you bought the crate from the market and opened it, you get back what you paid for the crate and the key.

It's impressive if they have the ability to easily implement all that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It’s easy to forget that there are a lot of extremely talented people working at Valve. It’s just that normally they have no reason to actually get up and do something.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ariong posted:

It’s easy to forget that there are a lot of extremely talented people working at Valve. It’s just that normally they have no reason to actually get up and do something.

Because they have a corporate structure that on paper seems like a great and progressive concept, but in actual execution is a complete mess and why they've barely done anything of note in at least 5 years

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They're all working, just usually not on tf2. My guess is they're all working on next year's summer sale minigame because gently caress if valve is actually developing anything anymore.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

They're all working, just usually not on tf2. My guess is they're all working on next year's summer sale minigame because gently caress if valve is actually developing anything anymore.

Hence what I said about it being terrible

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
hey Underlords got an update today so they got at least 1 dude on that

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's safer for your career if noone knows what you work on, imagine what your performance eval would look like if they realised you worked on artifact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I watched the TF2 short films yesterday.
Goodness they still absolutely whip!