Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Rhea can also teach you how to fistfight and I really want to see her in action, brawling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

unless the defeat condition very specifically says the guest npc has to survive you're gravy, they just retreat.

It does for that battle.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah I had to scramble for that fight since Jeralt is suicidal and gets one-turned by the death knight. Strongest knight of Seiros apparently a joke :colbert: .

Thankfully Dimitri had a horseslayer for that fight.

Also if you use the brawler art fading blow DK actually won't counter it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RoyalScion posted:

Yeah I had to scramble for that fight since Jeralt is suicidal and gets one-turned by the death knight. Strongest knight of Seiros apparently a joke :colbert: .

Thankfully Dimitri had a horseslayer for that fight.

Also if you use the brawler art fading blow DK actually won't counter it.

Edelgard could go toe to toe with the DK by that point, for me.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Rhea can also teach you how to fistfight and I really want to see her in action, brawling.

Every Pope has to be trained to fist fight in case Ezio Auditore shows up.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Edelgard could go toe to toe with the DK by that point, for me.

I saw her able to do pretty solid damage and definitely able to live the retaliation but his 25% crit rate remained regardless, so I softened him up with gambits from him & petra, then used Ingrid's relic with the horseslaying art to finish the job

High Crit Rates remain my most feared part of the combat UI.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

rannum posted:

I saw her able to do pretty solid damage and definitely able to live the retaliation but his 25% crit rate remained regardless, so I softened him up with gambits from him & petra, then used Ingrid's relic with the horseslaying art to finish the job

High Crit Rates remain my most feared part of the combat UI.

Well, I meant that she could survive a crit.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

High Crit Rates are fine. You go into the battle expecting to reset or divine pulse or to lose a unit or whatever.

It's those single digit crit rates that'll get ya.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hahahahah what the gently caress is Thyrsus? :stonk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

God dammit. I was trying to steal the dark seal from the death knight, and I had it all planned out; I would steal and immediately afterwards kill the boss so he could never fight back (and one-shot someone). But while trying to weaken the boss before attempting the steal and final kill my guy crit him and killed him :(.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm really pleased that (minor timeskip spoiler) everyone gets new battle lines. I don't know how much longer I could've listened to I AM FERDINAND VON AIUR. and that they keep their new outfits into battle. Assassin Petra looks great.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 1, 2019

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A neat trick I found is that forging a weapon fully repairs it, even if it's at 0 durability, and costs only slightly more than repairing it. So you can save yourself a bunch of money and materials and get mildly better weapons out of it too!

You can't forge again when they're already + weapons though so this only works once, or twice if you upgrade iron to steel first or whatever.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also equip everything even slightly worn out in your inventory before the time skip. Everything equipped, even on characters who are inactive, is fully repaired. Which helps a lot since you don't get free money infusions every month after.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

God dammit. I was trying to steal the dark seal from the death knight, and I had it all planned out; I would steal and immediately afterwards kill the boss so he could never fight back (and one-shot someone). But while trying to weaken the boss before attempting the steal and final kill my guy crit him and killed him :(.

Ah you too?

Bernie did that for me

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bogart posted:

I'm really pleased that (minor timeskip spoiler) everyone gets new battle lines. I don't know how much longer I could've listened to I AM FERDINAND VON AIUR. and that they keep their new outfits into battle. Assassin Petra looks great.
THIS ROSE HAS ONLY THORNS LEFT

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Only the + weapons are un-upgradable. You can totally forge Rusted>Iron>Steel>Silver>Brave if you want. Making any stage an "X+" ends its upgrade path tho.

(I'm pretty sure Silver upgrades to brave)

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I hope sparing Claude won't bite me in the rear end later!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it is really adorable how all of the blue lions desperately beg me not to pick them when i come around asking about the dance competition. bunch of clumsy fuckers we are

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As a note regarding Dark Seals, Blue Lions at least have a third chance to get one before the timeskip (admittedly on the very last map, so no time to use it), because the Death Knight appears on that final map. Given the setup of how the end of the first act plays out, I'm guessing Golden Deer might too.

Of course, Blue Lions really don't care about them (unless you really try and force the issue with Felix or Sylvain), and Golden Deer only if you concentrate on Lorenz's magic side. Both the true male mages are in Black Eagles. And speaking of pure mages, what the hell are Linhardt or Hubert even supposed to do if you didn't realize the only master classes for male mages are ones that require huge investment in Riding or Swords? And if you're focusing on their strengths (or poached Linhardt late), they likely won't.

Honestly, it's just hilarious that characters in the houses not advertised as the magic house are better suited for the endgame magic classes (Sylvain and Lorenz through Dark Knight, Felix through Mortal Savant) than those from it. Both have more realistic potential Gremories too.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Harrow posted:

Welp, missed my last chance at the Death Knight because Jeralt decided he was going to start moving and forced me to end the map before I could actually engage him. That's pretty infuriating, but I'm not about to start this whole tedious map over again so, well, gently caress dark classes I guess.

I hate guest units, especially ones I have to protect.

I'm pretty sure he only starts moving once all the villagers are safe/dead. I rushed Petra (as Peg. Knight) up the left flank to kill all the enemies baring one (the one second from the top, who is behind a destroyable wall at the start, giving him another turn) and then left that villager in range of someone with Physic to keep the villager healthy, with Petra flying nearby so that once the right side was dealt with I could kill the enemy, save the villager and then rush the boss with everyone I had left waiting in the corridor leading up to the boss' area.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 1, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Zore posted:

Also equip everything even slightly worn out in your inventory before the time skip. Everything equipped, even on characters who are inactive, is fully repaired. Which helps a lot since you don't get free money infusions every month after.

Does the time skip occur immediately after a battle with no break, meaning I have to go into the battle with every unit full of gear, or is there an interlude where I can run around and manage the inventory before fast forwarding?

Also, when exactly does the skip occur?

I just sided with Edelgard to burn down the establishment and arrived at the temporary camp.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Annath posted:

Does the time skip occur immediately after a battle with no break, meaning I have to go into the battle with every unit full of gear, or is there an interlude where I can run around and manage the inventory before fast forwarding?

Also, when exactly does the skip occur?

I just sided with Edelgard to burn down the establishment and arrived at the temporary camp.

Directly after that battle, no interlude

Lord Koth posted:

As a note regarding Dark Seals, Blue Lions at least have a third chance to get one before the timeskip (admittedly on the very last map, so no time to use it), because the Death Knight appears on that final map. Given the setup of how the end of the first act plays out, I'm guessing Golden Deer might too.

Yeah everyone gets three chances at Dark Seals, Black Eagles actually get all 3 the earliest.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Who here has made their Byleth focus on punching poo poo? I did and I don't regret it since the brave effect that Gauntlets have alongside my Byleth being fast (either from good levels or being in Myrmidon) usually results in four attacks which always kills any enemy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Terper posted:

THIS ROSE HAS ONLY THORNS LEFT

Absolutely one of my favorite post battle lines. It's right there in the middle of goofy and cool for me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm excited to see what the Blue Lions look like together post time skip, because Ingrid and Annette have made some very interesting palette choices.

The Shortest Path posted:

Hahahahah what the gently caress is Thyrsus? :stonk:

The perfect Hero Relic for Lorenz when he eventually upgrades to a Dark Knight, the extra range will really help him out! Yep, he's the Glouchester Crest bearer most suited to the Thyrsus. Can't think of anyone else who could really make use of it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Does Marianne's Crest ever do anything?

For that matter, do Catherine and Lorentz ever comment on the fact that Lysithea has their houses' respective Crests?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Annath posted:

Does Marianne's Crest ever do anything?

She gets a sword with a special art only she can use in her paralogue post time skip. Other than that no iirc.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm excited to see what the Blue Lions look like together post time skip, because Ingrid and Annette have made some very interesting palette choices.

The perfect Hero Relic for Lorenz when he eventually upgrades to a Dark Knight, the extra range will really help him out! Yep, he's the Glouchester Crest bearer most suited to the Thyrsus. Can't think of anyone else who could really make use of it.

Yeah it'd be a shame if there was a small walking nuke who would love some more range. Lorenz is also probably the one character I actively dislike and wish I didn't feel compelled to get him because Thyrsus is just that good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gender locked classes are such bullshit. I really wish they'd do away with them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Gender locked classes are such bullshit. I really wish they'd do away with them.

They did in Fates. Its super weird they brought them back.

That was one of the like unambiguously good things Fates did too.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

They did in Fates. Its super weird they brought them back.

That was one of the like unambiguously good things Fates did too.

It is real dumb and hey maybe they'd patch it...haha...right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

It is real dumb and hey maybe they'd patch it...haha...right?

No because they'd need to do a bunch of new models and stuff.

Its dumb as hell but we're probably stuck with it for now.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Its dumb as hell but we're probably stuck with it for now.

Sadly. Though the only one I really feel the loss of is Hero personally. I don't care for punchmans, and I'm not even sure what the difference between Gremory and Warlock is, I'm guessing just more flexibility by giving you more white magic spells?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gremory is straight up better, gives x2 uses to all the magic types, including dark.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's lame that both Catherine and Rhea are Brawling teachers, yet women can't be Brawlers. Let Catherine be a Punch Mom IntSys or Koei Tecmo or Whoever

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

Sadly. Though the only one I really feel the loss of is Hero personally. I don't care for punchmans, and I'm not even sure what the difference between Gremory and Warlock is, I'm guessing just more flexibility by giving you more white magic spells?

Gremory has more move and doubles white and dark magic unlike the Warlock. All non-Master level mages are stuck at 4 move which is probably my biggest complaint about the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Gremory is straight up better, gives x2 uses to all the magic types, including dark.

Gremory lacks the +5 damage to black magic, but frankly having 2 more movement than Warlock would probably make it worth it even without any bonus magic usages. As people have said before, I'd be totally fine with Master classes being "more specialized, but not strictly better" if they didn't all have more movement than the Advanced classes.

Girls not being able to punch at all and Lysithea, one of only 2 real dark mages, being unable to be a dark mage is real dumb though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Clarste posted:

Gremory lacks the +5 damage to black magic, but frankly having 2 more movement than Warlock would probably make it worth it even without any bonus magic usages. As people have said before, I'd be totally fine with Master classes being "more specialized, but not strictly better" if they didn't all have more movement than the Advanced classes.

Girls not being able to punch at all and Lysithea, one of only 2 real dark mages, being unable to be a dark mage is real dumb though.

Gremory only has 1 more move over Warlock. Mortal Savant has 2 and then Holy/Dark Knights have 3

They really decided to gently caress over mage movement here.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eimi posted:

Warlock is an Advanced class, while Gremory is a Master class - which means higher pity bases, higher overall growth rates (much higher in this case) and better movement. There is no pure magic class for males at Master level, they have to be a melee/magic hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Zore posted:

Are you saying Hubert couldn't rock the feather boa look if he wanted to? :colbert: