Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't think I've ever attempted CBT with more than 4 mechs per side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It... takes a long time. Especially if you don't have the hit location and TM+ tables memorized.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I GM for my RPG group, which means running the opposition, so I've gotten pretty good at handling lots of mechs. One thing I found handy was making little mini record sheets so I could handle a pile of mechs on one same page, and so reduce overall paper tracking.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 2, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

It... takes a long time. Especially if you don't have the hit location and TM+ tables memorized.

I play about once every other week with one of the other local players, and when we play Total Warfare both of us have everything memorized we can possibly be expected to remember to streamline the game. We got through four turns of a 12 vs. 8 fight in three hours a week ago, and that was a loving feat thanks to the victory conditions (one of them was force an enemy to become immobile or shut down due to heat) and me bringing heat generating weapons that required us to not skip the fire declaration phase for the first time in living memory.

It takes a long time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

You will of course.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks, thread, for scaring me away from CBT.

Does alpha strike include combined arms at any level?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's incredibly worth it, in my opinion. Sometimes you have hilarious outcomes, like a hover tank in the opening turns skidding and slamming into the loving woods directly in front of an enemy Atlas. Or a gauss rifle immediately blowing someone's head clean the gently caress off in the beginning of a confrontation.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 31, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

:frogout:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BULBASAUR posted:

If it doesn't you're doing it wrong

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Alpha Strike implements combined arms at every level including artillery and air support in standard level rules.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Alpha Strike is cool and good. I only have played the first print rulebook - what is different in the companion/commander edition and is it worth getting?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

lovestick posted:

Alpha Strike is cool and good. I only have played the first print rulebook - what is different in the companion/commander edition and is it worth getting?

The Commander's Edition is basically just the original rulebook combined with the stuff from the Companion like LAMs.

Currently DTRPG has the Commander's Edition for $20 and the Companion for $15, so it really depends on whether you'd rather have one book instead of two, or half a :10bux:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Taintrunner posted:

It's incredibly worth it, in my opinion. Sometimes you have hilarious outcomes, like a hover tank in the opening turns skidding and slamming into the loving woods directly in front of an enemy Atlas. Or a gauss rifle immediately blowing someone's head clean the gently caress off in the beginning of a confrontation.

Or a hovertank losing its skirt while going 15 hexes on water, tumbling across the surface and slamming into the mech that crippled its motive system, taking out its killer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Commander's Edition is basically just the original rulebook combined with the stuff from the Companion like LAMs.

And the addition of Jump Weak and Jump Strong for 'Mechs that don't jump as far as they run and/or jump farther than they run and have reduced/increased TMMs while jumping. And the Float like a Butterfly SPA, which is really nice. There're a lot of little additions in Commander's Edition that I appreciate.

I think the Special Command Abilities are new too? I'm probably misremembering.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Alpha Strike sounds better to me because I want to play with more than 4 mechs. I have yet to play either, but I don't see the point to for that level of simulation detail?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mugaaz posted:

Alpha Strike sounds better to me because I want to play with more than 4 mechs. I have yet to play either, but I don't see the point to for that level of simulation detail?

That kind of detail can be really fun when you're running games as part of a long-running campaign, especially if you pair it with the RPG (or a better RPG, honestly) and make every hit location and credit's worth of damage actually matter.

If you just want to play games, I'd do Alpha Strike all day.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'd do Alpha Strike all day.

This is my vote. After losing countless hours of 2 mech combat, Alpha Strike gives me a legitimate excuse to field the whole lance I painted in matching colors

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Someday I'll run a campaign involving all the scopes from Interstellar Operations on down, and I will thoroughly enjoy the hours of prep work I do and the half a session I play with my friends.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Someday I'll run a campaign involving all the scopes from Interstellar Operations on down, and I will thoroughly enjoy the hours of prep work I do and the half a session I play with my friends.

Keep the dream alive.

I am shocked, absolutely shocked by that the Battletech Community here is full of so many SICK FUCKS. What a wretched collection of freebirths that won't even fill in a bubblesheet the way their fathers, and in fact grandfathers did.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The problem with the classic board game is that it sucks. I mean there’s a million things I love about it and the simulationism produces the most hilarious twists and turns. But it sucks. You could play a dozen games of Dominion or some quality X-wing in the time it takes to resolve a 3v3.

Curious about Alpha Strike though - if the to hit rolls are all or nothing, isn’t it a bit swingy?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

That kind of detail can be really fun when you're running games as part of a long-running campaign, especially if you pair it with the RPG (or a better RPG, honestly) and make every hit location and credit's worth of damage actually matter.

If you just want to play games, I'd do Alpha Strike all day.

This is probably a dumb question but something I've never really been clear on. Does the RPG have mech combat in it at all or is it really just a life simulator for the pilot? Like is it just a set of rules for wandering around a city as a person with a vibroblade and a gun and then if you get into a mech they expect you to play CBT?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is probably a dumb question but something I've never really been clear on. Does the RPG have mech combat in it at all or is it really just a life simulator for the pilot? Like is it just a set of rules for wandering around a city as a person with a vibroblade and a gun and then if you get into a mech they expect you to play CBT?

There's a really bad conversion of mech combat rules to the RPG system in an appendix but they honestly expect you to switch game systems when you get in the robot

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

There's a really bad conversion of mech combat rules to the RPG system in an appendix but they honestly expect you to switch game systems when you get in the robot

That's really really dumb.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

It has a very cool life path character generation which was actually really fantastic for its time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I tried to use A Time of War in a campaign for several years and having to engage with its poorly designed systems was a hassle that I tried to avoid whenever possible. The resolution system and combat is like some kind of weird outsider art that was designed by someone who had never seen a game system other than BattleTech who decided they had to make a system that was different in a bunch of arbitrary ways like completely inverting how action rolls work, while adding a bunch of detail that barely makes a difference like lots of fiddly numbers for armour when getting shot is deadly no matter what. I actually liked the life path system in concept, but imo it didn't go far enough in terms of defining your character and that the end result of using it was mostly point buy with extra steps anyway.

If I run a campaign again I'll use something gritty that's actually decently designed like GURPS or something. GURPS has a reputation for being really complex but it's downright light compared to AToW as long as you're using realistic human characters, and it isn't as harsh as AToW while having non-stupid combat rules and math. Though I've heard that Mechwarrior 2nd Edition does a much better job of actually integrating with BattleTech. Unlike AToW and GURPS I've never played it (even though I have the copy I bought in the 90s) but I've read it and it gets bonus points for doing resolution rolls and modifiers the same way as BattleTech, plus piloting and gunnery skills that can be used directly in BattleTech without having to do a conversion step.

I like what Alpha Strike wants to do but I found it to be unsatisfying. I'm glad that there are people out there that enjoy it though, because it means that there are more people out there who care about BattleTech and I totally get that the very 80s rules of the original game aren't for everyone. I wish there was something that was somewhere in the middle in terms of complexity that also doesn't render infantry pointless and useless like Alpha Strike does, I'd be all over that. But for now I need to go with BattleTech proper to get my infantry/battle armour jetting/fastroping out of a helicopter fix.

edit: my specific complants re: infantry in Alpha Strike are that they get really low numbers and nothing to stop them from getting destroyed in one hit from nearly anything. A rifle platoon in BattleTech is scary if you don't have any weapons for dealing with them and battle armour can be terrifying if they get in close and make mechs do the ants in the pants dance, but in Alpha Strike foot rifles just do 1 damage at short range and have 3 HP and Elementals are scarcely better :geno:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 1, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It has a very cool life path character generation which was actually really fantastic for its time.

Might be worth importing over to a better system. I picked up Traveller for a similar reason. Still haven't had a chance to play that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

The problem with the classic board game is that it sucks. I mean there’s a million things I love about it and the simulationism produces the most hilarious twists and turns. But it sucks. You could play a dozen games of Dominion or some quality X-wing in the time it takes to resolve a 3v3.

Curious about Alpha Strike though - if the to hit rolls are all or nothing, isn’t it a bit swingy?

Actually it's good except for DHS. Sorry.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Classic Battletech is a guilty pleasure for me on the same level as very logistics-heavy games like Aurora 4x or War in the Pacific: AE. It's definitely not something I want to play all the time, but sometimes I just get urges to block off 8 hours of my day and do nothing but get really deep into it.

Fakeedit: so I just got my hands on a copy of the AGOAC box set from last year for a Not Unreasonable Price, and the sculpts are pretty drat fantastic compared to what there was previously. Have they done any updated lance packs with new sculpts since releasing this box, or is that pretty much going to be 100% handled via the Kickstarter?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yeah, that's the point of the kickstarter. Those will be the first next-gen sculpts outside the two new intro boxes, aside from whatever IWM releases in metal (they have a very nice updated Shadow Hawk out now, for instance).

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Spherecucks be like

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Thank you for your rousing defense of the caste-based, poverty-stricken, genocide-legalizing fascist regime.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Thank you for your rousing defense of the caste-based, poverty-stricken, genocide-legalizing fascist regime.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

No, thank you!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No really it takes some cojones to talk about ethnic cleansing when the Clans are doing it at the point we're at in the timeline now. It's all cool because they're genetically unclean, right?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
New Btech RPG announced at GenCon

Mechwarrior: Destiny

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/battletech-mechwarrior-destiny.850287/

Nothing but the title known

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

No really it takes some cojones to talk about ethnic cleansing when the Clans are doing it at the point we're at in the timeline now. It's all cool because they're genetically unclean, right?

After 1000 years of existence, the Inner Sphere has invented: crushing feudalism

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Clans are 'Everything you can do we can do dumber' compared to the Inner Sphere.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IS Supremacy

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The inner sphere invented hero clicks

If the best they can do is the Qing dynasty, they deserve furry space mongols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004