Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Benne posted:

In the middle of a thread talking about All Japan's attendance and streaming numbers (all bad), we got this delicious nugget of Wrestling Bubble Twitter:

https://twitter.com/FerranteFamous/status/1155936717012008960

I can count the number of people I have seen reference AJPW in the scope of souring on NJPW as an alternative on no hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That reminds me of the time someone posted that Naito would probably leave NJPW to go to AJPW because he was dissatisfied with his booking.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Naito is people in the 80s saying Flair's held the belt for too long time to put it on Kerry von Erich.

Jay White is Ron Garvin.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
There are a handful of people that have moved on to NOAH and AJPW since they are "better"

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

MJeff posted:

That reminds me of the time someone posted that Naito would probably leave NJPW to go to AJPW because he was dissatisfied with his booking.

There are people who asked Gotoo to leave NJPW as he was being "ruined" in NJPW

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Adaptabullshit posted:

There are people who asked Gotoo to leave NJPW as he was being "ruined" in NJPW

Goto ruins himself

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
All Japan is pretty good in that the matches have a nice style. They are hard hitting and dont normally run as long as NJPW matches. Its funny because I wouldn't say that AJPW is traditional strong style but NJPW does lean towards the kings road style. Thats why every NJPW maineventor is going to be hosed up in retirement.

That said the booking in AJPW is glacial slow and I think that was the point Voices of Wrestling was trying to argue. That sure Kento is over but they have nobody to draw gates with him. The Osaka gates were bad no matter which way people paint it. Like the people in the comments going oh but they run Edion # 2 thats why the gates are down...well no poo poo but the reason they run the smaller venue was because they didn't think it would be profitable to run the larger one.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I've seen a small community that is all about AJPW>NJPW. They love touting the fact that AJPW out drew NJPW at Korakuen Hall(once. Major AJPW show vs NJPW House show). Their main criticisms of NJPW is "Every match has 3 finisher kickouts" and they have "bad psychology". The thing the seem to like about AJPW is that their matches are shorter and they have 'better psychology'.

Strangely, these same people will turn any and every conversation on any subject in to making fun of Kenny Omega somehow, to the point that they spend more time dunking on Omega than talking about AJPW.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ironically the thing I didn’t like about some AJPW matches I saw was that they just took turns doing moves on each other until one of them did a finisher and it was over

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Takuan posted:

I've seen a small community that is all about AJPW>NJPW. They love touting the fact that AJPW out drew NJPW at Korakuen Hall(once. Major AJPW show vs NJPW House show). Their main criticisms of NJPW is "Every match has 3 finisher kickouts" and they have "bad psychology". The thing the seem to like about AJPW is that their matches are shorter and they have 'better psychology'.

Strangely, these same people will turn any and every conversation on any subject in to making fun of Kenny Omega somehow, to the point that they spend more time dunking on Omega than talking about AJPW.

Are we frequenting the same places? These people love to hate on Omega and comedy in wrestling.

Imagine watching a DDT show and skipping most of the matches due to them being goofy comedy bs

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I like to watch NOAH shows sometimes, when the need to see nasty headdrops comes upon me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There are a number of people on twitter who act like New Japan is very bad and All Japan is very good. All Japan has a very good main event scene but increasing depth issues and well, no one goes to the shows.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

It will never happen, but a merger between All Japan and NOAH really would solve a lot of the problems both companies are having right now. The undercards would be a lot more fleshed out, Kiyomiya could have a more natural push without being forced into the top position he's in now so soon, and Kento would have a new, fresher range of opponents to work with.

All of this, of course, would assume that half the roster of both companies wouldn't bolt on hearing news of the merger to form yet another spinoff promotion :v:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I'm happy people are finding alternatives they like!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NuclearPotato posted:

It will never happen, but a merger between All Japan and NOAH really would solve a lot of the problems both companies are having right now. The undercards would be a lot more fleshed out, Kiyomiya could have a more natural push without being forced into the top position he's in now so soon, and Kento would have a new, fresher range of opponents to work with.

All of this, of course, would assume that half the roster of both companies wouldn't bolt on hearing news of the merger to form yet another spinoff promotion :v:

maybe a working relationship with them doing supercards together, rather than a full-on merger?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AJPW has transcended into sleazy japanese indie and its for the best. Everyone like what you like.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1156341836325089281

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I love when Dave puts "according to the wrestling observer newsletter" on his articles. It is very cool, very legal, and very chic.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Adaptabullshit posted:

Are we frequenting the same places? These people love to hate on Omega and comedy in wrestling.

Imagine watching a DDT show and skipping most of the matches due to them being goofy comedy bs

AJPW's undercards are very comedy heavy between Fuchi, Black Menso~re, Tajiri and Gianni Valletta and those are some of the guys the crowds get most into.

NuclearPotato posted:

Both promotions have recovered a lot from a few years ago when they were wrestling in front of half empty Korakuen Hall and their Korakuen shows are out drawing DDT Korakuens recently. NOAH are running Sumo Hall this year which would have sounded ridiculous two years ago. I don't think less competition/variety is a good thing and they are willing to work with pretty much everybody else so there's always the opportunity to bring on outside challengers.

As for the problem with Kento not having fresh challengers, the solution is to just get him out of the title scene for a bit. Jake Lee or Naoya Nomura really need to be elevated to the main event anyway.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Trolling noted shitlord racist asshat Brad Shepard is always okay in my book.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lighten up on ol' BS, guys.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Facebook showed me a post a friend commented on. The comment was along the lines of "NJPW fans are hypocrites. Okada is no different than Roman Reigns. They should be upset at him. He has too many championship reigns and it's time for someone not stale and boring."

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
If anything New Japan push Okada vastly more than the WWE has pushed reigns. Not that a strong top guy is something to get upset about

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

TTBF posted:

Facebook showed me a post a friend commented on. The comment was along the lines of "NJPW fans are hypocrites. Okada is no different than Roman Reigns. They should be upset at him. He has too many championship reigns and it's time for someone not stale and boring."

This would be true if Roman won the Rumble that Batista won instead. A year later dud a number on him, especially his push to the main event after The Shield break up and especially the injury updates when he got injured. It was amazing, it was an unironic week by week injury update just like randy Orton in the early 2000s except was meant to keep him a face and instead turned him into Poochie.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WWE fan complaints that boil down to "when/if this happened in WWE everyone would be mad" are the absolute dumbest. They're complaining that another fanbase isn't as miserable as them for reasons that are beyond me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
if okada booked his record setting championship run never in the main event, with hiroshi tanahashi as the main eventer instead because he was the draw i promise okada wouldve still gotten over because being the champion for a year is more important than not main eventuing a single ppv, including wrestlekingdom, why are you all booing us

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Roman's push is completely different from Okada's because Vince chickened out on actually pushing Roman over the top what, three times? Before he actually did it in the most limpdick way possible. Gedo actually pushed Okada.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MJeff posted:

Roman's push is completely different from Okada's because Vince chickened out on actually pushing Roman over the top what, three times? Before he actually did it in the most limpdick way possible. Gedo actually pushed Okada.

Roman is much closer to Naito. They waited to pull the trigger when he was hot so he had already cooled off so by the time he was meant to be The Guy (G1, Royal Rumble) people soured on them for others (Hiroshi Tanahashi, Daniel Bryan). Their biggest problem was then enduring the literal years of boos and the smarks saying "turn him heel". They think making him heel would kill him for merch when if they just stepped back and realised His Cousin The Rock got over through being a heel who organically through heelishness became a face they were trying to bloody save him. Meanwhile Naito did turn heel, became tranquilo, pissed people off for a while and then as time went on became really popular through charisma. Like when EVIL debuted he was meant to be EVIL and it was so on the nose that I laughed when I first saw the recap.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The truly obnoxious thing about is how they had a literal blueprint for how to turn make someone a face by turning them heel in, of all people, Roman's cousins, but they never figured they should try it on him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
To be fair to that they took years to turn The Uso's too, instead they were the twins no one could tell apart who did a haka in their entrance. Like I know the people who just could focus on their ring work, like Big Dave, said they were great but a few years back I remember Dave being shocked The Uso's not winning tag team of the year over The Young Bucks and I did a double take because literally until he said them I didn't think anyone rated The Uso's as anything other than "that team with the titles in WWE". Hell that may have been the first year the Bucks won it.

P.S. Please for the love of gently caress The Bucks better not win this year. They should've already lost a few, definitely at least once to The Revival, but if they win this year over anyone (but especially the Lucha Brothers) I give up on them entirely and they've gone too far into the meme.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've decided I'm already sick of MJF's shtick. It strikes me as too in character all the time for 2019. Is this a stupid fan opinion to have?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've decided I'm already sick of MJF's shtick. It strikes me as too in character all the time for 2019. Is this a stupid fan opinion to have?

you have to wear the hat now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hellblazer187 posted:

Congrats on working yourself into a shoot

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I only respect wrestlers that have a 1000 hours of youtube footage of them unboxing things.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

coconono posted:

I only respect wrestlers that have a 1000 hours of youtube footage of them unboxing things.

so, Austin Creed and Kenneth Omega

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

WWE fan complaints that boil down to "when/if this happened in WWE everyone would be mad" are the absolute dumbest. They're complaining that another fanbase isn't as miserable as them for reasons that are beyond me.

And I’m like “buddy I watched Dragon Gate through the entirety of the T-Hawk push, and let me tell you, people were mad.”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hellblazer187 posted:

He's good in small doses.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mjf's already worked himself into a shoot leaving one wrestler homeless, so :shrug:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

My only exposure to him being twitter and AEW, he seems real middle of the road. He reminds me of The Miz too much.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

really the fault is on allie kat for not capitalizing and remarketing herself as stray kat