Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I can only access the 4th link.

Not that I need more evidence, but

Ah, I see it's because the WFRP4 FB group is closed and you need to be a member to see posts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1718549725113205/ if people need to join to check it out, I've already done enough legwork that I can't be assed to do screencaps on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's "Sparked by the Resistance"? That's a new one on me.

Games based on Spire's system.

Also, unrelated, but it turns out that marketing in the TTRPG industry is really hard if you have a relatively small social media footprint.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If my DBZ fan game veers far enough away from base PBTA to warrant a different descriptive engine name, I think I'm going to insist people use "Punched by the Goku".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fuego Fish posted:

If my DBZ fan game veers far enough away from base PBTA to warrant a different descriptive engine name, I think I'm going to insist people use "Punched by the Goku".

how about PUOE, Powered Up Over Episodes.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kurieg posted:

how about PUOE, Powered Up Over Episodes.

Trained in the Gravity Chamber.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The fact that the "Resistance Toolbox" (link here doesn't mention Sparked by the Resistance in its ad copy and you actually have to get into the PDF to find that is... mildly frustrating.

I think the core mechanic is superior to Forged in the Dark, but FitD has all the great mechanics built around its core mechanic.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

The fact that the "Resistance Toolbox" (link here doesn't mention Sparked by the Resistance in its ad copy and you actually have to get into the PDF to find that is... mildly frustrating.

I think the core mechanic is superior to Forged in the Dark, but FitD has all the great mechanics built around its core mechanic.

but I don't think that Grant Howitt has ever fallen on his face by talking down to a prominent black ttrpg community leader in a profoundly belittling way

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
That's definitely a factor to consider if you want to give money to buy one or the other books. I don't know if that's a factor in deciding on a license to use for a game, or a core mechanic.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

That's definitely a factor to consider if you want to give money to buy one or the other books. I don't know if that's a factor in deciding on a license to use for a game, or a core mechanic.

Using a person's engine can also be seen as a tacit endorsement of that person. I know at least a couple of people who have shelved FitD products after what happened with Harper.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Sure, people can do what they want to do and if they feel that's the best way, I support them.

That flies in the face of my understanding of open source and communities, though. I wouldn't be able to use the internet if my taking advantage of open code was a tacit endorsement of the coders who wrote it.

So I'm not going to lambast an OGL system and the good people who've done good work because it's ostensibly fruit of the poisonous tree.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

slap me and kiss me posted:

What are examples of games with good licenses for sharing mechanics and content?

I know apocalypse world, and the OGL are pretty big deals. Any others?

For the Queen/Descended From the Queen

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Meinberg posted:

but I don't think that Grant Howitt has ever fallen on his face by talking down to a prominent black ttrpg community leader in a profoundly belittling way

Whoah what. I remember Harper being douchey about paying for work on kickstarted stretch goals, and I remember he got in a twitter slapfight that he's since admitted he was wrong about. Is there more?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Whoah what. I remember Harper being douchey about paying for work on kickstarted stretch goals, and I remember he got in a twitter slapfight that he's since admitted he was wrong about. Is there more?

Mienberg is talking about the second thing

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I only vaguely remember it because I don't really do twitter, but I thought he was out of bounds but then quickly was like, "O yeah, that was hosed up, sorry."

Am I making it way better in my memory?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Xiahou Dun posted:

I only vaguely remember it because I don't really do twitter, but I thought he was out of bounds but then quickly was like, "O yeah, that was hosed up, sorry."

Am I making it way better in my memory?
nope, that's the one

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ahhh that's great. Alex Roberts does good work.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I hadn't heard about it, it sounds like he apologized, unless it becomes evidence of a pattern I'll have forgotten about it by the end of the day.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I did not realize For the Queen had gone SRD. That's pretty cool.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I took a look at the SRD and it's like about ten paragraphs that give a basic overview of how the game is played. Am I missing something? Because that's wildly different from, say, the Fate or Gumshoe SRDs.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The Resistance Toolkit document is pretty similar; it's a short description of how the system works overall, and what the basic parts are. There's not, for example, any real advice on how the math is supposed to work.

That being said, it's a useful and iirc free document, and if I ever get my act together I'm definitely using the Sparked by the Resistance base for an SF RPG idea I've been kicking around. Although I'm 100% stealing flashbacks from BitD, since they work really well in Resistance. In fact, if and when I run Spire, I'm going to have flashbacks as a standard mechanic that cost a little of the appropriate stress track but can't trigger consequences that would conflict with the current situation. It's just a natural fit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Are flashbacks not in The Spire as vanilla? I thought they were but I do have brain-spiders so who knows.

Edit : I'm apparently the oldest man in the world and need to be reminded about everything. "You kids remember the war? We gotta beat the Huns!" :corsair:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are flashbacks not in The Spire as vanilla? I thought they were but I do have brain-spiders so who knows.

If they are I totally missed them while reading the book, and I'm certain they don't come up in the GMing advice section where it talks about how to structure a heist/operation.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The Spire lacks Flashbacks, any sense of XP (which can be good or bad), all of the downtime mechanics, the cool gear rules, factions and tiers, all that.

Again, I think the Spire's task resolution and stress/harm models are slightly but noticeably better than Blades', but I think my ideal project is a hybrid of the two.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

CitizenKeen posted:

The Spire lacks Flashbacks, any sense of XP (which can be good or bad), all of the downtime mechanics, the cool gear rules, factions and tiers, all that.

Again, I think the Spire's task resolution and stress/harm models are slightly but noticeably better than Blades', but I think my ideal project is a hybrid of the two.

Spire's EXP-equivalent system is quite effective honestly, because it's based on changing the city (for better or for worse) so if it's well-calibrated, then it has player powers develop in direct proportion to the stakes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

My memory must be playing games with me and I just back-filled that from Blades without thinking. drat.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Joe Slowboat posted:

Spire's EXP-equivalent system is quite effective honestly, because it's based on changing the city (for better or for worse) so if it's well-calibrated, then it has player powers develop in direct proportion to the stakes.

My problems are (a) it can be hard to know how much of a change in the city is how much, because there's not much guidance with that, as I recall, and (b) it's a pain in the rear end to write your own playbooks because then you're just compounding the ambiguity.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

inklesspen posted:

I took a look at the SRD and it's like about ten paragraphs that give a basic overview of how the game is played. Am I missing something? Because that's wildly different from, say, the Fate or Gumshoe SRDs.

The game is unlike either of those, though. All the characters inhabited by the players love the queen, but many have also not necessarily been treated well. Through the game, they tell their stories of their relationship with her, and when she is attacked at the end, each has to decide whether they still want to defend the queen. You could make a game with a similar structure about a Jedi Master and their students after Order 66. The system is how it's played, since there's no dice to roll or mechanical content beyond the construction of the deck.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

Power Up, Never-Cowardly Heroes!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Power Up, Never-Cowardly Heroes!

I had a small bit of awkwardly-positioned schmutz on my screen that I didn't notice so this read as "Power Up, Never-Cowardly Herpes" and it took a solid minute of staring to figure out what was wrong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.