Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Hollandia posted:

Is there much of a point to working on the relationships besides the recipes / crafting blueprints they give you? I'm in year 2 and feel like I'm running around too much every day to give the time to working out who likes which gift (everybody is getting mayo goddamn it).

I think it's the only way to get certain recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
So only have a relationship until you get what you want from them, then ignore them forever. Just like real life! :angel:

I thought Linus would be cool but he's so whiney. I guess it would suck to be homeless on the edge of such an expensive town, but still, come on mate.

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 26, 2019

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Pro tip: Coffee is just the best thing, everybody loves coffee.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

drunkencarp posted:

Pro tip: Coffee is just the best thing, everybody loves coffee.

Kids hate coffee

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
drat, I sold all my freebies from the festival. I'll keep next years.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
They're the townspeople you live near and interact with almost daily, be friends with them because you're all delicate humans in a cruel world.

Edit: you're allowed to ignore Pierre and that Joja guy, they deserve what they get.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Turning junk seafood into sashimi goes over pretty well too

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Crab pot sashimi turned Abigail from a nerdy loner into the mother of my children

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Kids hate coffee

Kids will like what I tell them to like!!

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

LLSix posted:

They will, very rarely, send you gifts in the mail. The main reason people do it is because its fun. If you don't like doing it, you don't need to boost relations with anyone.

Yeah, I'm in a 4P multiplayer game and I'm at the point that aside from a little bit of crop picking and filling kegs/preserving jars, all I really do most days is work on socializing with people I haven't maxed out yet, which usually involves finding out what they like and getting a pile of it and giving it to them as I go. I think I've got a 3rd of the town maxed, the other 3rd about half way, and the rest I haven't dealt with yet (and might not).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The only enjoyable part of the gift game is when you give someone an iridium starred loved gift on their birthday. It's like a 3 or 4 star jump which amuses me for some reason.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cross-post from the mods thread because this is amazing,

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solumin posted:

They're the townspeople you live near and interact with almost daily, be friends with them because you're all delicate humans in a cruel world.

Edit: you're allowed to ignore Pierre and that Joja guy, they deserve what they get.

Clint does a golf-shoe tapdance on my last nerve.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Clint's life is suffering and if he leaves the "work" that consists of standing around staring at the walls of his dead end life gradually decay around him early to go drink himself into a few hours of oblivion I'm not going to judge him.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Clint does a golf-shoe tapdance on my last nerve.

In my defense I haven't played this game in a while and I forgot he existed.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Clint sucks absolute poo poo and is easily the worst character in the game, if I start a new game file I'm going to woo Emily just to break his miserable heart more and give him trash everyday while doing it

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Skippy McPants posted:

I love this so much

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Have seen multiple possums get up and walk away from dog attacks and supposed car hits I'm not sure if possums can be killed

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Clint is basically Dinkle, the Unlovable Loser.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

chaleski posted:

Clint sucks absolute poo poo and is easily the worst character in the game, if I start a new game file I'm going to woo Emily just to break his miserable heart more and give him trash everyday while doing it

Woo Emily while also making Clint your best friend.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I wish I could heckle him out of town Animal Crossing style

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've been using this mod to replace Clint. Would highly recommend if you're on pc and not using SVE. Replaces everything to do with Clint except a few hardcoded lines afaik.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Rynoto posted:

I've been using this mod to replace Clint. Would highly recommend if you're on pc and not using SVE. Replaces everything to do with Clint except a few hardcoded lines afaik.

Those new loved gifts are perfect. Excellent mod.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How come everyone hates Clint?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Creepy, lazy pervert who is also a rude rear end in a top hat. Specifically for a lot of people at least is the fact he stalks Emily and laments constantly that she won't love him.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
He keeps leaving his drat shop early when I've got geodes to break open.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Except that Emily likes him just fine and even cheerfully accepts the one time he actually does ask her out?

Clint's social awkwardness and self-loathing is hopeless but he deals with it better than Shane does, searing hot take

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Clint and Pierre are fine. It's just weird goon hivemind mentality that comes with their desire to gently caress the moms or whatever

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i hate clint because he doesn't put forth any effort whatsoever to get what he wants and expects happiness to fall into his lap without working for it, which on its own is like whatever man. but he complains when it doesn't, and i won't have that

i hate pierre because he's closed on wednesdays

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 1, 2019

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Hits too close to home :v:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

man i haven't played it in a while because i don't remember any of that about clint

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you're kind to Shane he gets better. If you're kind to Clint he keeps whining.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

My first playthrough I never had a good relationship with Clint because the entire first season or so I kept trying to open geodes by giving them to him, rather than the shop dialogue. Clint loving hates geodes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tired Moritz posted:

Clint and Pierre are fine. It's just weird goon hivemind mentality that comes with their desire to gently caress the moms or whatever

that is why i hate pierre, yes

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Hollandia posted:

He keeps leaving his drat shop early when I've got geodes to break open.

:emptyquote:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

The White Dragon posted:

expects happiness to fall into his lap without working for it

Yeah, if only he had a rich wealthy Grandfather who'd bequeath him land and a fresh start when his current inescapable lifestyle took him over the edge.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, if only he had a rich wealthy Grandfather who'd bequeath him land and a fresh start when his current inescapable lifestyle took him over the edge.

that's not fair, everyone notes that clint sighs in the corner of the bar and never talks to anyone even though everyone except emily knows he's there because he's into her

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

that's not fair, everyone notes that clint sighs in the corner of the bar and never talks to anyone even though everyone except emily knows he's there because he's into her

Social anxiety is really hard to deal with, and makes it really difficult to have social interactions with people -- even the people you've grown up with.

I mean, that's my excuse, I don't know what Clint's problem is. Presumably he's some kind of fungus-based life form that eats rocks and hasn't grasped what "emotions" and "conversation" are yet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Clint just seems unpleasant to be around. He's never happy or cheerful, he doesn't seem to like his job, he makes no attempt to improve his life in any way, and nothing you can do will help him either.

On top of that he's really inconvenient about his shop opening hours too, so it's easy to resent him for that, especially when he fucks off while the shop's supposed to be open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Clint whines about Emily and says, verbatim, “I’m a nice guy, I swear!” Okay dude I’ve heard that spiel before