Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's worth nothing that they sat a bunch of actual Yakuza in front of someone playing the game and literally the only 2 complaints about the realism were "you can't beat people with bicycles in broad daylight, you'd get arrested instantly" and "the fashions are way out of date" (Yakuza 0 takes place in the 80's)

If you want "Japanese gangster film with occasional interludes of beat-em-up" then you're good; if you want to spend hours racing slot cars or running a real estate racket or a hostess club, you're good; if you want deep gameplay you're pretty much SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's worth nothing that they sat a bunch of actual Yakuza in front of someone playing the game and literally the only 2 complaints about the realism were "you can't beat people with bicycles in broad daylight, you'd get arrested instantly" and "the fashions are way out of date" (Yakuza 0 takes place in the 80's)

If you want "Japanese gangster film with occasional interludes of beat-em-up" then you're good; if you want to spend hours racing slot cars or running a real estate racket or a hostess club, you're good; if you want deep gameplay you're pretty much SOL.

I hope every Yakuza guy they say down shat on Shenmue at some point

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Total War games take an interesting premise and then hang an awful and boring game on it.

The best bit of the whole series are the FMV assassinations in shogun 1

I like when the Western diplomats come in and they are all lolloping derps with bizarrely huge noses, which is presumably period accurate to how the Japanese saw them

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Here's a legit unpopular opinion - I got Fallout 76 a month ago and it's fun as hell. I have enough caps to just fast travel whenever I feel like it, eating & drinking is tedious but not a big deal, and Nuclear Winter is addicting. I expect the update this fall will be more akin to Lost Harbour LC as far as amount of NPC content goes, and that's OK

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I like when the Western diplomats come in and they are all lolloping derps with bizarrely huge noses, which is presumably period accurate to how the Japanese saw them

They still do. White face is my favorite thing on tv

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
controller vibration was awesome and I can't believe they scaled back on developing the technology, instead of upgrading it to outright electrocution as they should have.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

controller vibration was awesome and I can't believe they scaled back on developing the technology, instead of upgrading it to outright electrocution as they should have.

Amen, brother.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Once someone realised you could make remote control dildos I assume all the greatest minds working in the field started making those instead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

You haven't tried the Switch's HD rumble? Golf Story does some fun things with it.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Zelda BotW is the least fun game I've ever played.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

First of May posted:

I liked it but it has too many busy work mechanics for me to consider it a great game.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Some of the shrines or whatever they were called are cool and good. The main game though is pretty meh compared to other Zeldas.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

First of May posted:

:yeah:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Breath of the Wild was just empty

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I loved the concept and the style but the shrines were a really poor attempt to mask the fact that the entire game is 4 30-minute dungeons and an incredibly easy (even for the series) final dungeon/final boss sequence.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the steam controller had really nice vibration motors in it that could trick your hand into believing you were spinning a trackball and it's not hard to imagine games using them to great effect, like maybe being able to feel the road surface in a driving game. sadly everything is held back by the bare-minimum vibration capabilities of the console gamepads

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

the steam controller had really nice vibration motors in it that could trick your hand into believing you were spinning a trackball and it's not hard to imagine games using them to great effect, like maybe being able to feel the road surface in a driving game. sadly everything is held back by the bare-minimum vibration capabilities of the console gamepads

It looks like it would feel like rear end when playing twin-stick games though

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Xbone controller was awesome for racing games cos the triggers had some kind of vibration, you could feel the traction etc. It’s just a shame theyre made so poorly and cheaply

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There is way too much busywork in games in general these days

I aint got time for your poo poo anymore

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
The steam controller would have actually been good if it had a real d-pad on the left. The track pad on the right and the gyros were genuinely really cool and playing games like Cities Skylines on the couch was dope but it was useless for anything that required precise movement like platformers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

internet celebrity posted:

The steam controller would have actually been good if it had a real d-pad on the left. The track pad on the right and the gyros were genuinely really cool and playing games like Cities Skylines on the couch was dope but it was useless for anything that required precise movement like platformers.

lol i beat most of the Mega Man legacy collection on a steam controller, you’re just bad

take thirty seconds to calibrate it if you feel like it’s not precise enough, like that’s the whole point

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

I aint got time for your poo poo anymore

don't worry in modern games you can pay $0.99 to skip the busy work! please note this has absolutely nothing to do with the general increase in busywork in games today

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Zzulu posted:

This is the real reason I don’t play open world games. Just let me kill something, don’t make me drive there first. GTA5 was the worst at just setting you loose, even if it was a good game overall.

Lol I have no idea how anybody finishes jrpgs

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

poisonpill posted:

This is the real reason I don’t play open world games. Just let me kill something, don’t make me drive there first. GTA5 was the worst at just setting you loose, even if it was a good game overall.

Lol I have no idea how anybody finishes jrpgs

Jrpgs are mostly walking in a straight line. But they are mostly time padding, if that's what you mean.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

935 posted:

Here's a legit unpopular opinion - I got Fallout 76 a month ago and it's fun as hell. I have enough caps to just fast travel whenever I feel like it, eating & drinking is tedious but not a big deal, and Nuclear Winter is addicting. I expect the update this fall will be more akin to Lost Harbour LC as far as amount of NPC content goes, and that's OK

I got it when it came out and the complaints about that game were wayyyyy overblown. Looking forward to getting back into it when the fall update comes out.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Give us a new Fallout: Tactics game done in the X-Com style.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vakal posted:

Give us a new Fallout: Tactics game done in the X-Com style.

Really missed the boat on that one they did.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I had forgotten that the Gaia Window in SimEarth for DOS gave me the drat creeps

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Sim Earth was a lot of fun even though I never really knew exactly what I was doing. My goal was usually sentient dinosaurs and beyond that, come what may. I took a technology elective in seventh grade that had all these little modules you spend a week on before moving to something else and playing Sim Earth was one of the modules. So that was cool.

Also the Gaia Hypothesis is a neat way of looking at the world, although a little depressing because if you buy into it humanity is undoubtedly a malignant growth.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
And then SMAC took the Gaia hypothesis up a notch.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Also the Gaia Hypothesis is a neat way of looking at the world, although a little depressing because if you buy into it humanity is undoubtedly a malignant growth.

humanity is the reproductive organs. we are supposed to be building space ships for Gaia. organisms often sacrifice a lot of their health and fitness for reproduction

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sim Earth was a lot of fun even though I never really knew exactly what I was doing. My goal was usually sentient dinosaurs and beyond that, come what may. I took a technology elective in seventh grade that had all these little modules you spend a week on before moving to something else and playing Sim Earth was one of the modules. So that was cool.

Nature gives us bullshit nightmare diseases all the time

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Simearth was good yeah, i always tried to make sentient carnivorous plants or trichordates. The terraforming was pretty sophisticated, I wish some new game would give you realistic atmosphere building

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The SMAC version of the gaia hypothesis was that planets are alive but Earth is already dead and we're just bacteria feeding on the corpse

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think this is too edgy for games but you good people in gbs will get a kick out of this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ooblets

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ooblets/comments/ckqzmq/frustrating_development_experience_for_over_a/

tl;dr small independent studio developing Animal Crossing: My Time At Tumblr signs with epic games, acts smug when people say "yo i don't like epic games launcher it illegally scrapes usage data from my computer and gives it to tencent in china," and proceeds to move their operations to one of the most expensive cities in america

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 1, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't understand the outrage here. They cut a deal with Epic and moved their headquarters and that's bad?

edit: like I get why people don't like exclusivity but tons of smaller devs are doing that with Epic right now, why does this one stand out from the pack?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't believe loving Tetris Effect is an Epic exclusive :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

edit: like I get why people don't like exclusivity but tons of smaller devs are doing that with Epic right now, why does this one stand out from the pack?

it sounds like they may have offered pre-orders for steam keys, and at the very least advertised the game for years as "coming to steam"

also their attitude about it is smugger than :smuggo:, it's classic How Not To Handle PR 101

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Worrying about piracy? Amazing how poorly run small studios basically turn into big publishers in miniature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Worrying about piracy? Amazing how poorly run small studios basically turn into big publishers in miniature.

people reaaaaally like to role-play as big corporations. it's amazing sometimes when you discuss with two man teams that write emails as if they're being sent by their PR department.