Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Mozi posted:

What's the best way to prevent Windows Update Orchestrator from waking my computer from sleep every night?

Powercfg /lastwake should tell you the specific scheduled task that triggered it. Open Task Scheduler, \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\ and edit the task that is set to wake the system to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mozi posted:

What's the best way to prevent Windows Update Orchestrator from waking my computer from sleep every night?

Install the waiting updates and reboot.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

Install the waiting updates and reboot.

*family feud X buzz* Update Orchestrator runs every day even if you have no updates waiting.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Open Task Scheduler, \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\ and edit the task that is set to wake the system to run.

*second X buzz* The update tasks run with SYSTEM privilege, and can only be edited by the SYSTEM account even if you take ownership. Also the task is reset every time update runs to change the time based on active hours.

Mozi posted:

Try this: Start -> gpedit
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
"Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates" -> set to Disabled

But I don't know if that policy still works, it's from before this new "Universal Orchestrator" thing and I wouldn't be surprised if MS forgot about it. If it doesn't work there's a method to edit the task despite the obstacles in my reply to Bangers. But it's a sledgehammer solution so try the policy first.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Or you could hibernate your system instead.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

Or you could hibernate your system instead.

Hibernate is S4, most hardware will still honor wake timers.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hibernate is S4, most hardware will still honor wake timers.

Combine hibernate with

Geemer posted:

Use the switch on a power strip to fully cut power to the pc after shutting down.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

If you have a SSD, there's no reason anymore to use sleep or hibernate. Just shut it off. Lately I've also been turning off the UPS it's attached to.

You should be rebooting at least once a day anyway.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any way that I can actually repair missing visual c libraries with success

I have some that keep popping up as missing for steam vr and lightroom, I've tried doing 'Microsoft program install and uninstall.meta'

I've tried downloading various vc_redist.x64 files and nada....

Is it time to just say fuckit and reinstall Windows 10?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tater_salad posted:

Is there any way that I can actually repair missing visual c libraries with success

I have some that keep popping up as missing for steam vr and lightroom, I've tried doing 'Microsoft program install and uninstall.meta'

I've tried downloading various vc_redist.x64 files and nada....

Is it time to just say fuckit and reinstall Windows 10?

There are a *lot* of them, and both x86 and x64 flavors. Even on a x64 install of windows you need the 32-bit libraries for 32-bit programs. Here's a handy compilation of all of them.

Alternately you can go to <your steam dir>\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist and run everything that Steam has there, which should at least get your steam VR working.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It all works just bugs me on each start. Generally the installs fail even if I try to install whatever one steam says is missing. (both steam and lightroom are missing a different vc)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Ofecks posted:

:sigh: Always install fresh on a new drive, reboot once a day... come ON people. What's next, do DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 and delete them all? We've come a long loving way from XP, let alone 98SE and (:lol:) Millennium.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:sigh: Always install fresh on a new drive, reboot once a day... come ON people. What's next, do DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 and delete them all? We've come a long loving way from XP, let alone 98SE and (:lol:) Millennium.

Windows 10 is gonna work perfectly once I make a new autoexec.bat and get my IRQ settings right.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Ofecks posted:

If you have a SSD, there's no reason anymore to use sleep or hibernate. Just shut it off. Lately I've also been turning off the UPS it's attached to.

Huh? Hibernate is awesome. With an NVMe it's like sleep, but better because it draws no power.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Hipster_Doofus posted:

How about this: Throw all rules out the window (lol) because "move fast and break stuff" being adopted by Microsoft means that old bugs become new again and new bugs don’t get found or fixed until after a release goes live.

Here’s a recent example: New Dell XPS 9380 with a fresh install of 1903 has 25% CPU usage constantly by "system", even when idle, which cuts battery life in half. Traced it to a driver for the thunderbolt port. Neither Windows’ standard driver, nor Dell’s recommended driver fix it. Only fix is to right click and disable the device until someone gets their poo poo together. Luckily we don’t use thunderbolt devices, and the port is happy to fall back to USB-C functionality.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Klyith posted:

Windows 10 is gonna work perfectly once I make a new autoexec.bat and get my IRQ settings right.

You laugh, but there's still a lot of IRQ stuff on A+

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Ofecks posted:

It's not 1995 and these are modern operating systems. S3 is fine, you don't have to re-load all your programs. Shut up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
S3 lasts weeks on my chomebook. otoh, it lasts like 12h of browsing so it's probably an outlier in battery life.

never not sleep your laptop :v:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ofecks posted:

Here is a little "secret".

Starting with Windows 8, when you "shutdown" you are not really shutting down at all. Its actually doing what amounts to a "hibernate-lite". Users are logged out and their running apps closed, but the system is then hibernated. This is called Fast Startup mode and it is always enabled by default. (This link explains it a bit more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/distinguishing-fast-startup-from-wake-from-hibernation)

To do a real shutdown and bypass Fast Startup mode, you have to hold down SHIFT while clicking on the Shutdown button. Your next boot will then be a full cold start.

Edit: I just tested this on a laptop with a SATA SSD... A boot from a normal "shutdown" its 4.5 seconds to desktop excluding BIOS post. From a cold shutdown (using the Shift key) its 11 seconds to desktop. On a spinning disk there would be a much bigger difference since a cold boot requires a ton of random accesses.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 1, 2019

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

stevewm posted:

Here is a little "secret".

Starting with Windows 8, when you "shutdown" you are not really shutting down at all. Its actually doing what amounts to a "hibernate-lite".

In my experience, "Fast-startup" has been one of the biggest sources of system-weirdness in Windows 10 and it keeps getting re-enabled with every major update. :argh:

Most recently, Slack refused to remember to start a login and Firefox refused to remember that I didn't want all of my bookmarks alphabetized. Turn off fast-startup (startup is still plenty fast, just not 1 second fast) and suprise suprise, all those settings are remembered.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Weird... In all my time I have never seen a problem I could attribute to Fast Startup.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have. I tell people at work to regularly reboot their machines because, while windows is better now, a few weeks of uptime still fairly regularly causes issues due to.. i dunno, special mirkosoft magic.

So, people shut down at the end of the day, and turn on next day, and lo and behold when there's an issue and i get called, uptime is 23 days.

user: But I shut down every day!
me: No, shutting down does not actually shut down your pc, you need to click reboot.
user: That's incredibly stupid.
me: I agree!

fast startup saves a few seconds of time on a ssd equipped box in exchange for causing incredibly dumb issues that could be avoided if the shut down button actually did what it says on the label lmao

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Truga posted:

I have. I tell people at work to regularly reboot their machines because, while windows is better now, a few weeks of uptime still fairly regularly causes issues due to.. i dunno, special mirkosoft magic.

So, people shut down at the end of the day, and turn on next day, and lo and behold when there's an issue and i get called, uptime is 23 days.

user: But I shut down every day!
me: No, shutting down does not actually shut down your pc, you need to click reboot.
user: That's incredibly stupid.
me: I agree!

fast startup saves a few seconds of time on a ssd equipped box in exchange for causing incredibly dumb issues that could be avoided if the shut down button actually did what it says on the label lmao

Yup. It's a feature that we could have used back in the day when most machines had hard drives, but it now just causes more trouble than it's worth. Oh well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are SSDs that prevalent?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Power Options -> Additional Power Options -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Then uncheck "Turn on fast startup".

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Snuffman posted:

In my experience, "Fast-startup" has been one of the biggest sources of system-weirdness in Windows 10 and it keeps getting re-enabled with every major update. :argh:

Most recently, Slack refused to remember to start a login and Firefox refused to remember that I didn't want all of my bookmarks alphabetized. Turn off fast-startup (startup is still plenty fast, just not 1 second fast) and suprise suprise, all those settings are remembered.

fast startup is preserving the state of the kernel so it doesn't have to be re-initialized at startup. slack and firefox are user-mode with no kernel modules. whatever you are observing is either only coincidental or has a different root cause that fast startup happens to interact with.

the kernel doesn't change much unless you're loading a bunch of dodgy software that does weird stuff. don't give your users admin rights, kernel never changes, fast-boot isn't a problem unless you're doing software installs that invoke some kernel driver

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Are SSDs that prevalent?

I bought 120gig ssds for every single box in 2013(?) or whenever samsung 840 evo got on the market. If your office still uses spinning platters for your boot/app drive in 2019, it's time to cause an epic shitstorm.

We have some amazingly old shitboxes people work on today (i.e. from before the said 2013 ssd upgrade) and I only see complaints about people needing new pcs because "slow" very rarely, and it's always developers/designers/spreadsheeters running out of ram. Everyone else just keeps on trucking without a flinch.

Cheapass SSDs for at least the boot/app disks are easily the best hardware investment you can make these days, IMO. It'll cut down on office frustration a lot, and a 120 gig ssd costs 30 eurobux.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rinkles posted:

Are SSDs that prevalent?

In my experience, these days, absolutely, yes.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

I bought 120gig ssds for every single box in 2013(?) or whenever samsung 840 evo got on the market. If your office still uses spinning platters for your boot/app drive in 2019, it's time to cause an epic shitstorm.

We have some amazingly old shitboxes people work on today (i.e. from before the said 2013 ssd upgrade) and I only see complaints about people needing new pcs because "slow" very rarely, and it's always developers/designers/spreadsheeters running out of ram. Everyone else just keeps on trucking without a flinch.

Cheapass SSDs for at least the boot/app disks are easily the best hardware investment you can make these days, IMO. It'll cut down on office frustration a lot, and a 120 gig ssd costs 30 eurobux.

Yeah, they're a complete no-brainer. For some reason (aka, greed) Dell was still offering spinny disks in all but the highest tier of desktops offered under our corporate account (IE, the list I can order without an act of congress) until last year, and a 120GB was like a $150 CTO option. For that reason we still have some newish PCs with spinning drives, but if we have any issues that might merit a reimage, we offer them an SSD for $70 and everyone says yes (depts pay for their own gear in our org.)

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I just bought a Thinkpad T480 earlier this year from Lenovo, which came with a 500 gig platter drive. Unbelievable that they're still being offered.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Snuffman posted:

I had a shut down issue with my previous computer where it would get stuck at the state after "shutting down" screen. First time I fixed it by turning off fast-startup and second time after major W10 update or two I had to fix it again. By uhh, turning fast-startup on again. Wtf

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I still know people solely on spinning rust and refuse to upgrade. Whenever it eventually happens, it's always such a huge Aha! moment, it makes me want to kick them in the groin. Yeah, please don't listen to the computer guy, that you otherwise bug for every little thing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

monsterzero posted:

Yeah, they're a complete no-brainer. For some reason (aka, greed) Dell was still offering spinny disks in all but the highest tier of desktops offered under our corporate account (IE, the list I can order without an act of congress) until last year, and a 120GB was like a $150 CTO option. For that reason we still have some newish PCs with spinning drives, but if we have any issues that might merit a reimage, we offer them an SSD for $70 and everyone says yes (depts pay for their own gear in our org.)

Albeit I haven't had to build a fleet config with Dell in five years, but when your unit budget $1k and you've been previously been jamming in 1TB drives because they perform better than the base model 80GB ones you end up painted in to a corner where you're not entirely sure who actually needs how much drive space. Yeah, a 256gb ssd is blazin fast compared to a standard drive, but unless the people running the hardware in the field are running sccm or some other good management platform do you really know if that is sufficient? Buying 1TB ssds blows your budget hard and would be wasted on most people. The good news was that was right around the time that intel integrated graphics started support dual-display configs so you could drop a $100 line item for whatever lovely low-end AMD card they were selling.

The hybrid hdd/ssd drives were our compromise position until ssd prices fell enough, good enough bridge technology but pretty irrelevant now.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still know people solely on spinning rust and refuse to upgrade.

Good grief what reason do they give? I know expense used to be one but we're way past that so wtf?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

Are SSDs that prevalent?

SSDs and spinning rust have inverted on pricing now. It is the flash that is now cheaper than the spinning rust, and the spinning rust that is having trouble continuing to push advances in technology.

The one point in spinning rust's favor is that it is, as of this moment, far easier to perform data recovery on spinning rust than it is on an SSD. If a hard drive goes, there are any number of parts that you can swap out, cannibalize off other drives, or transplant to get a working drive that will work long enough for you to clone it onto some fresh media.

If the controller on an SSD decides to bite it early, your data's hosed because not only is there no way to tell what chip holds what data, but it's also possibly striped across several chips like a mini RAID 0, probably encrypted, and the key was on the controller.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 1, 2019

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

SSDs and spinning rust have inverted on pricing now. It is the flash that is now cheaper than the spinning rust, and the spinning rust that is having trouble continuing to push advances in technology.

The one point in spinning rust's favor is that it is, as of this moment, far easier to perform data recovery on spinning rust than it is on an SSD. If a hard drive goes, there are any number of parts that you can swap out, cannibalize off other drives, or transplant to get a working drive that will work long enough for you to clone it onto some fresh media.

If the controller on an SSD decides to bite it early, your data's hosed because not only is there no way to tell what chip holds what data, but it's also possibly striped across several chips like a mini RAID 0, probably encrypted, and the key was on the controller.

That, and multiple terabytes of storage is still a lot cheaper on HD. I'm using a SSD for my OS+programs+some data and a large HD, because SSDs are still that good it's a terrible idea not to have one, but bulk storage is basically their last niche.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The hybrid hdd/ssd drives were our compromise position until ssd prices fell enough, good enough bridge technology but pretty irrelevant now.

Those hybrid drives were always way too miserly with SSD cache, making the performance gains unimpressive for many applications.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Last I checked, HDDs also do sequential writes faster and don’t wear down with repeated writes as much as SSDs do (if at all), which makes them better for surveillance and other continuous A/V recording tasks. They probably also retain data for longer in cold storage, but I would still prefer BD-Rs for that purpose.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Double Punctuation posted:

Last I checked, HDDs also do sequential writes faster and don’t wear down with repeated writes as much as SSDs do (if at all), which makes them better for surveillance and other continuous A/V recording tasks. They probably also retain data for longer in cold storage, but I would still prefer BD-Rs for that purpose.

No, hard drives have comparatively low sequential write speeds - but they're still pretty well suited for surveillance video recording and the like due to being cheap and reliable.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

Those hybrid drives were always way too miserly with SSD cache, making the performance gains unimpressive for many applications.

8GB of read cache was enough to handle OS boot caching and your outlook/word/browser binaries in 2010, good enough for an enterprise and way better than just a 7200rpm platter. Looks like they're still making them with only 8gb of cache to this day which is pretty sad almost 10 years on.

SSDs absolutely can write faster than platter drives and have more than enough write endurance to handle the task so long as you read the spec and pick the right one for the job. A 4TB 860 EVO has a 2400TB write endurance. Assuming that's enough to handle a week worth of camera data before overwrite, that's 600 weeks before write endurance is exhausted. Platters will probably still win on price at 4TB+ capacities, but they also are less likely to corrupt data so weigh how much that's worth to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last I checked, HDDs also do sequential writes faster

Oh word? I'd love to hear what sort of spinning rust you have on hand that compares to this mass market SSD:

Only registered members can see post attachments!