Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama was being a twerp and I went to grab him and Charlie yelled at me :mad:

your birds are unionising :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy does the same thing when he thinks I might possibly be hurting Sera, but because Ozzy refuses to let anyone touch him ever and all hands are evil, this occasionally means Sera comes and asks me for skritches and Ozzy makes nervous, worried noises from nearby the whole time.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

awww Ozzy. :glomp:

All I will say on the Ama-grabbing matter is that sometimes a girl would just like to eat her dinner in peace without constantly fending off SOMEONE'S little black beak :mad:

e: smug twerp (whom I love)

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 31, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

awww Ozzy. :glomp:

All I will say on the Ama-grabbing matter is that sometimes a girl would just like to eat her dinner in peace without constantly fending off SOMEONE'S little black beak :mad:

e: smug twerp (whom I love)

That's some serious bird side eye, right there.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

He is well aware he has been given millet to distract him from my burrito. He is considering how fast he needs to inhale it to have time for another shot at Forbidden Supper

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama was being a twerp and I went to grab him and Charlie yelled at me :mad:

Defensive birds are the best. One time my brother was rolling around on the ground play-wrestling with our old dog Daisy and Pookie climbed down off her perch, ran across the floor and bit him because she thought he was hurting her :3:

(Pookie loved sneaking up on Daisy and pinching her bottom, but she was Not Cool with anyone else messing with her)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I adore the Cockatiel angry eyebrow look. Especially when Serra refuses to do anything other than slam her open beak at me and at most deliver the lightest pinch while making whining baby bird noises.

Her “feed me/pet me/GO TO HELL!!!” noises are all nearly identical.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I think Pookie might be setting up an online dating profile

Selfies are hard when you have no opposable thumbs.
Or hands.
Or arms.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pookah posted:

Or hands.
Or arms.

Looks like Pookie can wing it

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pookah posted:

Just thinkin' about millet

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Potato Salad posted:

Looks like Pookie can wing it

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Just thinkin' about millet

Lol

SEND NOODS

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

Or hands.
Or arms.

haha omg

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pookah posted:

Defensive birds are the best. One time my brother was rolling around on the ground play-wrestling with our old dog Daisy and Pookie climbed down off her perch, ran across the floor and bit him because she thought he was hurting her :3:

(Pookie loved sneaking up on Daisy and pinching her bottom, but she was Not Cool with anyone else messing with her)

lol @Ama and @Charlie

Trev is MY bird. Or, I am his bird, not sure which is the correct terminology, tbh. If he sees my husband come to love on me, he tries his damndest to get to me to either save me or protect me lol When my husband comes home from work, he eats dinner in the computer room with me and the birds. Afterward, he will give me a kiss or make smoochy sounds on my neck, you know, playing around. Trev will literally bumblebee himself over to my desk, yelling the whole time, and make a beeline for him with beak open. Cricket, meanwhile is on her perch yelling "REALLY? REALLY?? (insert conure rage noises)".

I'm usually able to grab him within .5 seconds of impact as my husband laughs and gets away JUST before the angry bird gets there. Then its just hilarious to see a tiny 66-gram bird standing on my shoulder kissing me, then glaring at my husband, and trying to make himself as big and bad as possible. Cricket, if she is there and he is in his cage, will just jump on my husband's shoulder and try to join, making kissy noises and kissing both of us :)

Cracks me up these birds!!

Pookah posted:

Or hands.
Or arms.

Such a gorgeous face /swoon I have such a soft spot for Greys!

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 31, 2019

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Disco Salmon posted:

Trev is MY bird. Or, I am his bird, not sure which is the correct terminology, tbh. If he sees my husband come to love on me, he tries his damndest to get to me to either save me or protect me lol When my husband comes home from work, he eats dinner in the computer room with me and the birds. Afterward, he will give me a kiss or make smoochy sounds on my neck, you know, playing around. Trev will literally bumblebee himself over to my desk, yelling the whole time, and make a beeline for him with beak open. Cricket, meanwhile is on her perch yelling "REALLY? REALLY?? (insert conure rage noises)".

I'm usually able to grab him within .5 seconds of impact as my husband laughs and gets away JUST before the angry bird gets there. Then its just hilarious to see a tiny 66-gram bird standing on my shoulder kissing me, then glaring at my husband, and trying to make himself as big and bad as possible. Cricket, if she is there and he is in his cage, will just jump on my husband's shoulder and try to join, making kissy noises and kissing both of us :)

Cracks me up these birds!!

Same thing with Ms Cookies and me. Peanut is my boy, and will not tolerate Ms Cookies coming over near me. Pinto is Ms Cookies's bird, and I am not allowed to touch her while Pinto is on/near her. It's kind of adorable.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Same thing with Ms Cookies and me. Peanut is my boy, and will not tolerate Ms Cookies coming over near me. Pinto is Ms Cookies's bird, and I am not allowed to touch her while Pinto is on/near her. It's kind of adorable.

It makes me laugh so much tbh. Trev can't fly very well, and I am not sure just HOW he manages to get to my desk at times. It's very much like watching a bumblebee, we have no idea how he manages to get in the air. (He was roughly, badly wing trimmed before fledging :( so his flying skills are not good.) If he misses, and his rage power peters out he plops on the floor, and all you see is a little green blur racing for my chair, grabbing the towel, climbing as fast as he can till he gets to the top, then it's to my shoulder and RAR I AM MAN BIRB!!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Greys always look a hair's width from brutal disembowelment of all nearby things and it unnerves me ever so much.

Disco Salmon posted:

It makes me laugh so much tbh. Trev can't fly very well, and I am not sure just HOW he manages to get to my desk at times. It's very much like watching a bumblebee, we have no idea how he manages to get in the air. (He was roughly, badly wing trimmed before fledging :( so his flying skills are not good.) If he misses, and his rage power peters out he plops on the floor, and all you see is a little green blur racing for my chair, grabbing the towel, climbing as fast as he can till he gets to the top, then it's to my shoulder and RAR I AM MAN BIRB!!!

:kimchi:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Disco Salmon posted:

Oh man, please tell me he gets all angry, and looks around in confusion/anger looking for the best/quickest way to get to attack position. Pinto does this all the time if someone accidentally rings one of his bells. (The bells are only for him to ring, don't you know.) Beak opens, feathers out, and he shakes his head looking for the highway to bite town. Like, sorry I rang your bell, doofus, I was just trying to give you your fuckin' food you're about to inhale and chirp happily about.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

terra is moulting pretty bad recently so most of her time has been spent begging for scritches and scratching herself

however, it's her hatchday on the 18th and I want to give her something special and tasty that she's never had before! so other than millet and sunflower seeds, what treats do your tiels go nuts for that I could treat her with?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Oh man, please tell me he gets all angry, and looks around in confusion/anger looking for the best/quickest way to get to attack position. Pinto does this all the time if someone accidentally rings one of his bells. (The bells are only for him to ring, don't you know.) Beak opens, feathers out, and he shakes his head looking for the highway to bite town. Like, sorry I rang your bell, doofus, I was just trying to give you your fuckin' food you're about to inhale and chirp happily about.

omg he totally does....he opens his wings and poofs himself all up and doing the snakehead thing with open beak lol My husband will laugh and back off a little, and immediately, Trevor starts rubbing my cheek and saying "Sweet bird, good bird baby bird" haha but he always keeps an eye on him in the room :P

He attacks the bells if he is in his cage tho with the door shut, as .does Cricket. R will totally come in and smooch on me just to watch them go "OMG YOU DIDN'T!!!" and start beating the daylights out of the bells while yelling bird obscenities at us lol

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

:D

Kitfox88 posted:

Greys always look a hair's width from brutal disembowelment of all nearby things and it unnerves me ever so much.
:kimchi:
They always seem to look either horrified or a bit crazy in photos; its really weird - she's got a very mild, gentle face in reality.

Disco Salmon posted:

Such a gorgeous face /swoon I have such a soft spot for Greys!

She's my sweet and very good girl, and she shared in a big vegan curry and rice dinner today so she went to bed very happy and very chubby :3:

edit: all these chesty jealous birds would probably be furious if they knew how adorable we find their terrifying threat displays.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 31, 2019

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bleh, double post

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pookah posted:

:D

They always seem to look either horrified or a bit crazy in photos; its really weird - she's got a very mild, gentle face in reality.

She's my sweet and very good girl, and she shared in a big vegan curry and rice dinner today so she went to bed very happy and very chubby :3:

edit: all these chesty jealous birds would probably be furious if they knew how adorable we find their terrifying threat displays.

I had a dream of getting a Grey for a long time. When I was finally able to be in a position for one, I knew it wouldn't be fair to them to get one since they live so long. We don't have any kids nor family who could/would take our birds as it is, and I wouldn't want to bet on a Grey not outliving me. That's why I went with the smaller birds in my flock. I will always have a special place for Greys tho in my heart...they are so pretty and smart.

Silly birds tho!! They do love curry, don't they?? Mine go absolutely apeshit over it!!! We end up letting them share ours :) They go bonkers for the chicken or lamb curries I make, so I am always sure to let them have a little bit. I did find a salt free curry powder that I add to their chop sometimes and its always "it's REALLY yummy" from both of the bottomless pits.

It's to the point now where they see me get the Instant Pot out and its a nonstop chorus of "Yum!!" , "Its good!", and lip-smacking noises from both of the heathens.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Disco Salmon posted:

green cheeks are so friggin blessed lmfao

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
When Serra wants out of her cage, and the door opens, one of two things happen -

A. My father is getting her out. He reaches in and she instantly jumps on to his finger.

B. I am getting her out. She proceeds to play "run away from the finger" for five minutes until I grab her squeaking little butt.

drat :derptiel:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

these are two good handsome boys.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

me: *holding ama gently like ice cream cone* I love you *kissing his cute little face* you're a good bird *snuggling his cheek* you're the best boy

ama: *gazing back at me with sweet docile head-on bird face, all beak and eyes and just ever so darling* ...Need to poop.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Disco Salmon posted:

I had a dream of getting a Grey for a long time. When I was finally able to be in a position for one, I knew it wouldn't be fair to them to get one since they live so long. We don't have any kids nor family who could/would take our birds as it is, and I wouldn't want to bet on a Grey not outliving me. That's why I went with the smaller birds in my flock. I will always have a special place for Greys tho in my heart...they are so pretty and smart.

Silly birds tho!! They do love curry, don't they?? Mine go absolutely apeshit over it!!! We end up letting them share ours :) They go bonkers for the chicken or lamb curries I make, so I am always sure to let them have a little bit. I did find a salt free curry powder that I add to their chop sometimes and its always "it's REALLY yummy" from both of the bottomless pits.

It's to the point now where they see me get the Instant Pot out and its a nonstop chorus of "Yum!!" , "Its good!", and lip-smacking noises from both of the heathens.

If I had known then what I know now about the level of care an african grey needs, I'm honestly not sure I'd do it again. I love Pookie dearly, no question - she's my own lovely sweet girl, but there is also a constant level of anxiety about whether she's getting all the attention/out time/perfect nutrition that she needs and deserves, and of course, her longterm care is a kind of unanswerable question - if we both live to be very old we'll be old ladies together, but there is always the chance I got first, and I don't know who'd look after her then :cry:

On a less depressing note, shedoes loves curry very much - she likes lots of rice and only a little coating of sauce though. One time when she had to stay overnight at the vets they asked if she had any food preferences and I mentioned curry and they started laughing and said one of the nurses was having daal for lunch so she could share that. Apparently it was entirely acceptable and she ate as much as she was let :3: . She also adores spaghetti bolognese (meaty or vegan).

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

me: *holding ama gently like ice cream cone* I love you *kissing his cute little face* you're a good bird *snuggling his cheek* you're the best boy

ama: *gazing back at me with sweet docile head-on bird face, all beak and eyes and just ever so darling* ...Need to poop.

I cannot see this as anything but the end of a romantic movie, all swelling strings and soft-focus closeup - after Ama speaks, the last line is you saying 'I... I need to poop too, my darling' before it fades to black and the credits roll.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 1, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I don't mean to sound heavy, and I know I'm not the only ill person in the forums, but I seriously recommend setting up a will that includes your birds. A simple will is pretty easy to get done, and will guarantee your bird family will be seen after if you go first. While my diagnosis is terminal, I could still be around for a while. But if not, and if my father is gone as well, they will go live at the bird store down the road for the rest of their lives. It's a wonderfully happy place, and the woman I briefly dated has promised me she would take care of them for however long it took, even if she had to take them in herself.

Thinking about that type of stuff absolutely sucks, but it's really just a piece of legal paper that will help make sure your universe will be in order after you're gone. We all owe it to our feathered friends to watch out for them once we have flown off to the next turn of the wheel.

I adore you all, hug you birbs. :derptiel:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

I don't mean to sound heavy, and I know I'm not the only ill person in the forums, but I seriously recommend setting up a will that includes your birds. A simple will is pretty easy to get done, and will guarantee your bird family will be seen after if you go first. While my diagnosis is terminal, I could still be around for a while. But if not, and if my father is gone as well, they will go live at the bird store down the road for the rest of their lives. It's a wonderfully happy place, and the woman I briefly dated has promised me she would take care of them for however long it took, even if she had to take them in herself.

Thinking about that type of stuff absolutely sucks, but it's really just a piece of legal paper that will help make sure your universe will be in order after you're gone. We all owe it to our feathered friends to watch out for them once we have flown off to the next turn of the wheel.

I adore you all, hug you birbs. :derptiel:

Thank you, that is very good advice - I really need to think about where I'd like her to go since my immediate family is either much older than I am or not likely to be keen to take over her care. She's kind of a one-person bird who also has bitten some of them in the past (the brat!). I do think she'd do quite well in a multi-parrot sanctuary situation though - any time she's met with other african greys she's been fairly open to making friends with them. Thank you again :3:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Y'all kidding me if Sinbad outlives me he ain't outliving me y'hear my will's gonna have him in a little golden sarcophagus next to mine like the pharoahs did (yeah I want a golden sarcophagus). Or at least like the Simpsons anyway...

(He's totally fine after the shallot sauce scare btw)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Always glad to help, even if it’s a grim line of thought.

:derptiel:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Parrots in snow are just what one would expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9iifaLV15Q

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Pookah posted:

On a less depressing note, shedoes loves curry very much - she likes lots of rice and only a little coating of sauce though. One time when she had to stay overnight at the vets they asked if she had any food preferences and I mentioned curry and they started laughing and said one of the nurses was having daal for lunch so she could share that. Apparently it was entirely acceptable and she ate as much as she was let :3: . She also adores spaghetti bolognese (meaty or vegan).

I cannot see this as anything but the end of a romantic movie, all swelling strings and soft-focus closeup - after Ama speaks, the last line is you saying 'I... I need to poop too, my darling' before it fades to black and the credits roll.

Yeah, my vet says curry is fine as long as it's not the onion-based. So mine get to enjoy it :) And spaghetti ...oh lord help anyone who touches the noodle box in their sight. Immediate yells of ""YUM!! ITS GOOD DO YOU SEE???"

I would so love to live that movie... I think I have an Anti-ama tbh!

My movie end credits would be this: Trev is being held like an ice cream cone, and I tell him he is wonderful, and that he is loved, and he is the most gorgeous handsome boy ever! And he looks at me, kisses my finger and says so lovingly as he looks in my eyes...." pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt" :(

(I've no idea just where he picked up this new noise from...but it's his new favorite go-to. Off and on all day I hear him pbbbbbbbtttttttttttttttttttt-ing away happily...I think it's just a fun sound or something. R swears its cos he's a boy, and all boys love fart noises. Lucky me.)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

hahaha omg. it is our single most binding thing in common... The Need to Poop.

(Incidentally when he is clearly not interested in pooping when I offer I will say "not really? Okay..." and set him down on his gym. After he said that I held him over the trash can and said "you need to poop?" and he looked back at me and said "not really" :mad: :mad: :mad: How dare you get tired of my kisses!!!)

Salmon, Trevor sounds perfect idk what you're on about :colbert:

Tendai I love keas' surprise bright orange underwings :kimchi:

Sinbad Amadeus and I are going to die at the exact same time in the exact same place holding hands/feet and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I feel the same way about Serra and I, but knowing how absurd my life is it won’t be holding hands, it will be careening into a ravine in a flaming bus while getting attacked by ghosts.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I feel the same way about Serra and I, but knowing how absurd my life is it won’t be holding hands, it will be careening into a ravine in a flaming bus while getting attacked by ghosts.

yelling choo choo muthafucker? lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Disco Salmon posted:

yelling choo choo muthafucker? lol

All day ‘errr day!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Salmon, Trevor sounds perfect idk what you're on about :colbert:

he is perfect!!! a perfect little turd :)

I had to go to the kitchen just now to get dishes done etc.

I asked Trevor: "wanna come with?"
Trevor: Sits under his squiddy and says "NO".

So, I get Cricket.

Me: "Wanna come with?"
Cricket: Hops over to go with me, going "Yeah!"

I ask Trevor again: "You sure? You wanna come with momma?"
Trevor: Still sits under his squiddy and he pokes his head out and says "NO"

Me: Fine. It'll be us girls.

10 seconds later, a full conure tantrum pops up from the other room. Screaming, bells ringing...the whole 9 yards. I finish doing what we went in there to do and go back in with Cricket. We see him out of his cage on top of his play gym screaming "COME WITH!! COME WITH"

I looked at him and then put Cricket on her cage.

I ask Trevor: "You want to come with now?"
Trevor: Races down the gym and onto my finger and looks at me. "COME WITH!!"
ME: Still on my finger, I say "I ASKED you at least 2 times if you wanted to come with, and you said no both times!"
Trevor: Looks at me and says " Pbbbbbbbbbbbbt. Not ok! You be good birb!"
Me: So I say "Fine... you want to come with me then?"
Trevor: "No."

People say that birds just mimic...I don't think so. I KNOW they know what to say and the right times to say it. All I could do is just laugh. He is such a turd but I love him lol Such an attitude!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ROFL