Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Come October I'll be a level SSJ judge and you can be too. For the low, low cost of 50$, cheaper than the academy I might add , you too can be certified. Pre-order now and I'll throw in access to all the current educational material freely available to judges at no extra cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Judges are gonna start running a protection racket

"That's a nice game state you've got there, would be a shame if anything happens to it..."

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

To the contrary, they own up to the fact that there's basically no more standards on what sort of judge is required, etc. From the AMA:

Grudgingly admitting that they cannot force stores to only accept their judges does not fill me with confidence that this organization is anything but a money grab.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Come October I'll be a level SSJ judge and you can be too. For the low, low cost of 50$, cheaper than the academy I might add , you too can be certified. Pre-order now and I'll throw in access to all the current educational material freely available to judges at no extra cost.

how much does it cost to get certified as a SSGSS judge

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Oh boy, Bryan Prillaman is in my cities MTG facebook groups and is very "responsive."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dr. Poz posted:

Oh boy, Bryan Prillaman is in my cities MTG facebook groups and is very "responsive."

Do tell.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Nothing interesting, just seems like someone trying to run point getting ahead of criticism by using Simpsons references to pretend Tournament Organizers would never cheap out on Judges. I imagine if I posted any kind of actual criticism he'd go Full Defense Mode, but right now he seems to be just re-stating the company line.

When I pointed out making a Simpsons reference didn't actually change anything, he said I seemed "upset."

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sickening posted:

People are under the misconception that you aren’t a judge anymore if you aren’t in the JA.

The truth is you are just as much of a judge now as you are on the JA.

The real judge is the friends we made along the way

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Magic: The Gathering: Boy, I hope someone got fired for that blunder

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Rules question: Twice now on Arena I've tried to use Chandra, Acolyte of Flame's -2 to cast a Light Up the Stage for its Spectacle cost after an opponent was damaged that turn. Both times it wouldn't let me.

Is there something in the rules I'm missing that wouldn't allow me to do this, or is this a bug?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

qbert posted:

Rules question: Twice now on Arena I've tried to use Chandra, Acolyte of Flame's -2 to cast a Light Up the Stage for its Spectacle cost after an opponent was damaged that turn. Both times it wouldn't let me.

Is there something in the rules I'm missing that wouldn't allow me to do this, or is this a bug?

Bug. Should have been fixed as of last patch. Did you do damage to your opponent to activate spectacle?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr. Poz posted:

Nothing interesting, just seems like someone trying to run point getting ahead of criticism by using Simpsons references to pretend Tournament Organizers would never cheap out on Judges.

Does it resemble anything like this corporate BS from the AMA?

quote:

Great Question. We believe that events are better with better Judges. We are going to run a campaign to convince retailers and TOs that it is in their best interest to use Paid, Certified Judges. We start this campaign at the GAMA Retailer conference and we will provide additional details to the Judge Community about our efforts as they develop.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Before I answer this, what level of my judge patreon are you subscribed to?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought that was supposed to be a bug fixed in the latest update. Or maybe in the next one

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cynic Jester posted:

How much extra for the senzu bean package? I understand this gives me the right to unlimited energy drinks during events at the LGS of my choice.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Chill la Chill posted:

How much extra for the senzu bean package? I understand this gives me the right to unlimited energy drinks during events at the LGS of my choice.

Yes, you have the right to unlimited energy drinks, but as we're not affiliated with any LGSs you still have to pay for them.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For those who got the Seb prints, was there a shipping notice or did they just show up?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

qbert posted:

It's worked every time I try it, since the patch. You have to click it when it still says, eg: 2R and then it splits to being able to cast it for the spectacle cost after, it's like 4 clicks for some reason.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Kyrosiris posted:

Does it resemble anything like this corporate BS from the AMA?

Guess who pays for that “campaign” to promote the benefits of the JA to LGSs?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Poz posted:

Doesn't he run the Judgecast podcast? I'm curious how they're gonna spin it on there.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

WarEternal posted:

It's worked every time I try it, since the patch. You have to click it when it still says, eg: 2R and then it splits to being able to cast it for the spectacle cost after, it's like 4 clicks for some reason.

I just tried it again against Sparky and it worked, so it's possible I was having that issue right before the patch hit.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo Wilderness Reclamation + Nexus of Fate loving blows

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so when is the gencon panel

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Judges are gonna start running a protection racket

"That's a nice game state you've got there, would be a shame if anything happens to it..."

Carrying sleeved Benjamins in case of a deck check

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

SalTheBard posted:

Holy poo poo Wilderness Reclamation + Nexus of Fate loving blows

Play mono-red and this problem goes away

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Gen Con stuff starts today. The important things are a "You Make the Card Live!" at 11 AM EST, and Commander 2019 talks at 6 PM EST tonight and 4 PM EST tomorrow. There's nothing saying which set if any the "You Make the Card" card is going to appear in.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Starting my own judge academy that costs $2/month (optional, for foils) and reposts all of the L1 content from JA. If theres enough subs I'll buy a L3 membership from JA and repost all the L2/3 training as well. Also we refer to levels as 'grades' instead.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Starting my own judge academy that costs $2/month (optional, for foils) and reposts all of the L1 content from JA. If theres enough subs I'll buy a L3 membership from JA and repost all the L2/3 training as well. Also we refer to levels as 'grades' instead.

I can't wait to troll JA people by calling myself a judge despite not being in the JA. Its driving people insane on facebook currently.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skyl3lazer posted:

Can you call them licenses so they feel more official?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Can you call them licenses so they feel more official?

Can they also come with badges which get plated with the appropriate color of shiny metal to make me feel more important?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you're calling them grades then 3 should be the lowest and 1 the highest. It just makes sense.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Count Bleck posted:

Can they also come with badges which get plated with the appropriate color of shiny metal to make me feel more important?

Foil badges cost extra.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Needs to incorporate the term "Mythic" somewhere

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Needs to incorporate the term "Mythic" somewhere

That's the name of the new level 4 judges.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

MikeCrotch posted:

Play mono-red and this problem goes away

Probably. I just hate playing against decks were you win through annoyance. I remember playing against a deck that constantly sac'd the White Dragon from Kamigawa to just keep tapping 5 permanents over and over until I couldn't do anything. He never actually attacked me as far as I can recall he just made it impossible to continue.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Probably. I just hate playing against decks were you win through annoyance. I remember playing against a deck that constantly sac'd the White Dragon from Kamigawa to just keep tapping 5 permanents over and over until I couldn't do anything. He never actually attacked me as far as I can recall he just made it impossible to continue.

Good old Ghazi-Glare, easily my favorite green deck

3 Arashi, the Sky Asunder
1 Birds of Paradise
3 Kodama of the North Tree
3 Llanowar Elves
4 Loxodon Hierarch
4 Selesnya Guildmage
4 Wood Elves
2 Yosei, the Morning Star
Creatures [24]
2 Congregation at Dawn
3 Glare of Subdual
3 Pithing Needle
2 Seed Spark
3 Umezawa's Jitte
Spells [13]
4 Brushland
5 Forest (306)
1 Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
1 Plains (290)
4 Selesnya Sanctuary
4 Temple Garden
4 Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
Lands [23]
SIDEBOARD
2 Carven Caryatid
2 Greater Good
3 Hokori, Dust Drinker
1 Kodama of the North Tree
1 Kodama's Reach
2 Naturalize
1 Seedborn Muse
1 Wrath of God
2 Yosei, the Morning Star

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SalTheBard posted:

Probably. I just hate playing against decks were you win through annoyance.

This is, in fact, why people play them. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Starting my own Judge League that has different badges that confer aptitude. There are 8 badges. If you defeat a judge in rules combat, they give you their badge. However, should you lose, you give them $100, 150....400 depending on level.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That's a better post than this situation deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Madmarker posted:

Good old Ghazi-Glare, easily my favorite green deck
I did basically the same thing in UW, using as many tax and bounce effects as I could with yosei so casting anything cost +4 mana and keeping anything on board longer than a turn was nearly impossible. I forget how I managed to recur him though.