Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

After getting back into it these last few weeks, I have to agree. Everything from the genius design of the OG levels to the weapon feel to the challenge and enemy behavior (so simple, yet so fun) to the modability to the music... It's a loving masterpiece of masterpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The fact that enemies have varying hit-stun properties and different weapons naturally slot into being able to keep them safely stunned is such a fundamental thing that's almost never talked about. Not only does it add depth to the combat, but it also provides an extra layer of feedback to the player that they're doing something right.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 1, 2019

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Hot take, but I think Doom 2 is better than Doom.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It has some better elements, but

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mister No posted:

That's imo a tepid take. :P

When asked which of the two is better,lots of fans fall back to the argument of 'well Doom 2 was almost an expansion so...' not noticing they aren't properly replying to the question. The question was what game is better, not what game supposed a bigger advancement over their predecessors (wolf3d to Doom or Doom to D2).

Doom 2 had the best weapon (SSG) and better enemy variety, apart from the best enemies in general (Pain Elemental, Mancubus and Archvile). Most fans criticize Doom 2 maps from the middle of the campaign but imo they aren't so bad. In fact map-wise, I like D2 progression and vaiety better,from techbase to City to hell, and the last third is especially good.

But really, the whole Doom 1 vs Doom 2 is something we nerds do when we are bored on Internet, usually when I think of classic Doom, I treat D1 and D2 as one entity on my mind.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

IMO asking me which is better of Doom or Doom 2 is like asking me which of two lifelong friends I like better, but if I am playing custom levels I'd rather they were for Doom 2 because of the added stuff. The increased enemy variety makes a big difference.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Knee Deep in the Dead is virtually faultless, the latter Doom episodes are a lot more inconsistent (sorry Sandy). KDITD > Doom 2 > The rest of Doom

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want Tom Hall to announce his own version of Sigil, and for Sandy and Romero to finish all the maps for him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom and Doom 2 are one game, thats how I play them. Just when you think youve seen all there is to offer heres a whole new campaign with a completely gameplay redefining weapon and new enemies to mix it up.

Also Knee Deep in the Dead is possibly the single greatest level set for any genre of game ever made

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

Doom and Doom 2 are one game, thats how I play them. Just when you think youve seen all there is to offer heres a whole new campaign with a completely gameplay redefining weapon and new enemies to mix it up.

Also Knee Deep in the Dead is possibly the single greatest level set for any genre of game ever made

I remember getting a magazine cover cd back in summer 1995 that had demos for Wolf 3D, Doom, Heretic, RoTT, Blake Stone, Descent and Dark Forces. That's basically two entire games worth of loving outstanding content for about £3. Additional bonus: the demos weren't signposted as adult games or age rated whereas my parents wouldn't let me play games rated 15+, so a handy loophole :)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Playing through the Doom shareware on Chocolate Doom at night with all of the lights off is totally worth doing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I finished RtCW. Lots of fun, although it got a bit "headshot them before they headshot you" at points. It amuses me that a 2001 fps still had a final boss that was basically "can you circle strafe."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Golden Souls 3 Demo 1 is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfJAGY--giA

Another, entirely unrelated recent release: Flipper is Mirror Mode for GZDoom.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Digitalfoundry did a review of the doom re-releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYTomYMAzYE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I definitely view doom 2 as an expansion pack, not a sequel.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm usually of the mind that Doom 2 > Doom, because it's literally just Doom with more stuff. However...I tend to replay Doom 1/Ultimate Doom more often because I really prefer the episodic structure instead of how Doom 2 just has 32 levels and the occasional text wall. Doom 1 also has the "you are here" screen, which does a lot to add to its sense of place. But Doom 2 has fantastic levels, even the lovely ones, it has the SSG, and it has a much wider and more diverse cast of enemies that require more precision in dealing with than anything from Doom 1. I'd almost always rather face a pair of CyberDemons than any Archvile combo out there.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 1, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chaosapiant posted:

Doom 1 also has the "you are here" screen, which does a lot to add to it's sense of place.

I called this out in the other thread, but I really think those screens add a lot to the atmosphere and I really miss them in doom 2.

Even Heretic had them.

Warcraft 1 had similar CG map screens, and then War2 ditched them for little sprite art maps. Its interesting all the things the game industry was throwing at the wall back then.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Heretic is probably the one I like most, honestly. Other than the Firemace, I enjoy everything about the weapons, level design, art, etc. I replay it a lot more often than Doom or Doom 2. After that, I'd put Hexen as my next favorite, because of the level design and class system, though the low weapon count can make some campaigns feel a bit draggy. Then I'd say Doom 2 because I adore the city maps and their open style of exploration design. Then Doom 1 because it's still super solid.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Jupiter Hell is out in early access on Steam. It’s the spiritual successor to DoomRL and looks pretty fun. I haven’t tried the beta but I’ve heard good things.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hell-Forged has a neat intermap, too:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Hell-Forged has a neat intermap, too:

Oh man that's super rad

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Mister No posted:

Absolute-zero take imo. Doom 2 was a sequel only because they needed a commercial game for store shelves and the publisher demanded it be titled Doom 2, and not, say, "Spear of Destiny" which mostly just confused people about how it related to Wolf3D. Internally at id, they thought of Doom 2 as "the commercial version" of Doom and not as a separate property.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 1, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Has anyone ever modded, or anyone know of a mod that actually adds the "you are here map" into Doom 2? That'd be so coooool wouldn't it? I agree!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I agree, we need more wads with intermaps

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gloomy Rube posted:

Heretic is probably the one I like most, honestly. Other than the Firemace, I enjoy everything about the weapons, level design, art, etc. I replay it a lot more often than Doom or Doom 2. After that, I'd put Hexen as my next favorite, because of the level design and class system, though the low weapon count can make some campaigns feel a bit draggy. Then I'd say Doom 2 because I adore the city maps and their open style of exploration design. Then Doom 1 because it's still super solid.

heretic is probably my favorite, but Hexen really suffers from bland enemies. The wendigo is the one thing that really mixes things up, and it's nothing compared to the liches in heretic. The items system is also badly cluttered.

Hexen's still the only one I've beaten at max difficulty with all classes (inc expansion) but the mechanics don't live up to the aesthetic

Also Hexen 2 blows

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

That's imo a tepid take. :P

Linguica posted:

Absolute-zero take imo.

Guys... I'm pretty sure :thejoke:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Putting Heretic before Doom is heresy in itself.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tulip posted:

The items system is also badly cluttered.

Between the Build holy trinity and Heretic I could just never quite get a handle on shooters with inventories. Though I suppose like 90% of the time you really only need to worry about healing.

What's the ideal not-the-goddamn-brackets bind setup for being able to scroll through/use (I don't remember if you need a unique key for use item in those games) anyhow? Q + E would force Use to be somewhere else which feels wrong, R + F generally don't match the orientation. And no, I don't have any of your fancypants mice with extra buttons!!!! :argh:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gloomy Rube posted:

I like the enemy design and most of the weapons in Heretic but gently caress me, I hate the level structure. I rapidly lose patience with long and winding switch hunts and Heretic is infested with them - though it obviously has nothing on Hexen, which is Super Long Boring Switch Hunt: The Game. I much prefer Doom's punchier, faster level pacing.

Maulotaurs are way scarier than Cyberdemons or the Mastermind ever were.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The multiple Maulotaur fight at the end of Heretic ep2 is the only really good bossfight in any of the 2.5D shooters imo

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'd rather replay they entire Catacombs series than Hexen. They've got enemies walking out of walls, statues and trees coming to life, and a time-stopping powerup in one of the later games.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Gloomy Rube posted:

God the Firemace was such a bad call. Instead of a BFG equivalent, let's shoot little bouncey balls that don't even have anything to do with fire and poop into nothing if they touch water. At least the Tomed Firemace was sort of fun to use, again, until you're near water. In a game where the third episode takes place under... Water.

The Dragon Claw has the most annoying firesound in Doom history and the Tome upgrade is lame.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

John Murdoch posted:

What's the ideal not-the-goddamn-brackets bind setup for being able to scroll through/use (I don't remember if you need a unique key for use item in those games) anyhow? Q + E would force Use to be somewhere else which feels wrong, R + F generally don't match the orientation. And no, I don't have any of your fancypants mice with extra buttons!!!! :argh:

I despise mousewheel weapon scrolling, I like using it for items instead when I have the chance. Wheel for items, middle click or something like F for item activation.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 1, 2019

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

T for use, weapons 1-6 on the buttons and everything else mapped to w z x etc.

(I'm also of the superior ESDF movement set up)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm probably gonna try switching to ESDF when I dive into my annual Doom 16 Ultra Nightmare attempt soon. Need more ways to complicate what's already rending my mind asunder.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Okay, here’s a slightly more difficult question: what’s the best Build Engine game? Clearly it’s Tekwar but ignoring that obvious choice what do you guys think?

I’d probably say that I think Blood is the best, but it’s honestly a bit tough as Powerslave is also great.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Console Powerslave doesn't use the Build engine and it's better there.

Actually, what are decent PS1 shooters to check out?

Disruptor is a bit Doom-y but with silly enemies.
Brahma Force is nice in a stompy mecha way.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

John Murdoch posted:

Between the Build holy trinity and Heretic I could just never quite get a handle on shooters with inventories. Though I suppose like 90% of the time you really only need to worry about healing.

I usually use z/x with left Alt as the 'use item' key.
But I also use esdf for movement, so it might be a little too tight for wasd.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

looking at my beta setup for testing out ESDF and regretting the choices I've made in life and the people I've wronged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that reminds me, i was watching a 100% speedrun of doom 16 and the runner was doing this thing where they would quickly flip between the rocket launcher, ssg, and...something else all within like 5 seconds for max damage and im still curious as to how they configured that. i dont even recall 16 having a console to make macros like that