Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Rewatching some clips, I have to admit it is filmed well. The overall production design doesn't hold a candle to Salvation, though.

I saw Genesys (second) on the same day I saw Jurassic World (first) in theaters and I thought Genesys was the much better experience of the two. It was schlock, but it was pretty self aware and tried to be fun. I think if Salvation didn't happen and they had cast literally anyone but Jai Courtney, people would appreciate it for the dumb and fun sci-fi experience it is rather treating it as a continuation of poo poo smearing on the franchise. Maybe that's how people see TSCC, but I don't know. I certainly don't recommend anyone go out of their way to watch Genesys though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Reese would have no way knowing that they destroyed the time machine after he left. Connor could have told him he was going to, but lied instead.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Maybe Connor didn't know Reese would be his dad and it turns out he just really hated him. "Oh I can't stand that prick, let's send him to the past so I don't have to deal with him anymore. Tell him it's one way and we're going to blow it up, but gently caress that, we're totally going to keep a goddamn time machine. Seriously... gently caress that guy."

Sort of a retroactive "gently caress You, Dad."

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I could totally see John having an Isildur moment where he's like wait a second, why would I destroy a time machine?

Hell, that future was probably already so hosed up that their best bets were to send everyone back to a happier time with the expectation that they're creating alternate realities anyway, thus not really ruining anything. Maybe that could be the basis of a sequel series.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

iamsosmrt posted:

I could totally see John having an Isildur moment where he's like wait a second, why would I destroy a time machine?

Hell, that future was probably already so hosed up that their best bets were to send everyone back to a happier time with the expectation that they're creating alternate realities anyway, thus not really ruining anything. Maybe that could be the basis of a sequel series.

I think they did a Southpark episode on that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

If Skynet can put living tissue over a terminator to send it back in time, why doesn't it send meat dufflebags full of laser guns with them? Is there an in-canon reason?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Tart Kitty posted:

If Skynet can put living tissue over a terminator to send it back in time, why doesn't it send meat dufflebags full of laser guns with them? Is there an in-canon reason?

I doubt there'd be in-canon acknowledgement of that in the movies. Maybe a comic series though.

In a similar vein, was it ever explicitly said that the Skynet in T2 is the same as in T1? It doesn't really make sense that it'd bother sending a T-800 to the 80s when it could've easily had sent a far superior T-1000. Unless the events of T1 had already changed the future.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Tart Kitty posted:

In one of the comics Skynet cuts open some humans, stuffs em with gun parts, sews them shut, teleports them over and they die horribly, but on the other side so now the Terminator there has a plasma rifle.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Man, thinking about it, thinking about "why not just send a nuclear bomb wrapped in meat", terminator feels like it fell apart once the cold war ended and no one had the same sort of nuclear war fear to tap into.

Think of how zeitgeist tapping an early 2000s, a movie about skynet just sending bombs super unexpectedly that could just appear anywhere and are coming from some distant time far far away. Like tap in to the fear of that period where everyone was like, small towns fortifying their local mall on fear terrorists would get it. With no way to stop it but to turn on eachother.

(actually, 2019, terminator could do a "what if the terminators represent mass shootings" if they made it abstract enough to be not totally tasteless)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
what if skynet is the driving force behind resistance to acting on climate change, hoping to kill off all biological life the easy way?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

thatbastardken posted:

what if skynet is the driving force behind resistance to acting on climate change, hoping to kill off all biological life the easy way?

It's honestly really weird how many major social anxieties society has and how bad movies have gotten at tapping into them.

Like movies certainly come out "about" major social issues, but looking back you can see there was a ton of big movies that really hit the zeitgeist by taking a thing people in society was worried about and making it abstractly a monster without really even mentioning the issue it's the fear of and having that movie resonate a ton with lots of people.

Like there is movies that mention climate change, but none of the "what if climate change was a guy that came to your house and kicked you" type movies the way stuff like terminator had a weird edge of "you know that fear you have of inevitable nuclear war everyone in the country currently has to some degree? what if that was also a guy chasing you personally!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

iamsosmrt posted:

I doubt there'd be in-canon acknowledgement of that in the movies. Maybe a comic series though.

In a similar vein, was it ever explicitly said that the Skynet in T2 is the same as in T1? It doesn't really make sense that it'd bother sending a T-800 to the 80s when it could've easily had sent a far superior T-1000. Unless the events of T1 had already changed the future.

the terminators were sent back from the same time (the intro to T2 talks about this). you can infer that kyle reese didn't know this (in universe) because they discovered the t-1000 was sent back after he'd already gone through.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Man, thinking about it, thinking about "why not just send a nuclear bomb wrapped in meat", terminator feels like it fell apart once the cold war ended and no one had the same sort of nuclear war fear to tap into.

if it doesn't send a terminator back it's never created. terminator 2 was released after the ussr collapsed - john even says "aren't they our friends now?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
[SMG]Since Skynet is immanent in the capitalist system, basically yes.[/SMG]

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

the terminators were sent back from the same time (the intro to T2 talks about this). you can infer that kyle reese didn't know this (in universe) because they discovered the t-1000 was sent back after he'd already gone through.

if it doesn't send a terminator back it's never created. terminator 2 was released after the ussr collapsed - john even says "aren't they our friends now?"

Right, that's how I always understood it. I just mean there's no logical reason to send a lovely T-800 when you have perfectly good T-1000s. It's like if Apple gave some of their top execs iPad Airs when they've already produced Pros.

My only logical head canon explanation would be that the T-1000 didn't even exist until Reese changed something in the past.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

terminator 2 was released after the ussr collapsed - john even says "aren't they our friends now?"

I mean the daleks from doctor who are the very specific sort of german tank (with the little egg beater cannon end and suction cup looking machine gun cover) and are the british world war II fear of "hey, what if german tanks got in your house and yelled loudly at you" and doctor who came out like 17 years after world war II, stuff isn't always exactly timely to pray on lingering anxieties. Since people's fears don't end exactly on a calendar. Terminator being about the inevitability of nuclear war was super not a coincidence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's honestly really weird how many major social anxieties society has and how bad movies have gotten at tapping into them.

Like movies certainly come out "about" major social issues, but looking back you can see there was a ton of big movies that really hit the zeitgeist by taking a thing people in society was worried about and making it abstractly a monster without really even mentioning the issue it's the fear of and having that movie resonate a ton with lots of people.

Like there is movies that mention climate change, but none of the "what if climate change was a guy that came to your house and kicked you" type movies the way stuff like terminator had a weird edge of "you know that fear you have of inevitable nuclear war everyone in the country currently has to some degree? what if that was also a guy chasing you personally!"

Because these days every major social anxiety has been politicized to hell and Hollywood as a rule is deathly afraid of taking any sort of stand on those issues.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Tart Kitty posted:

They actually did this in one of the NOW Terminator comics. Darkhorse? One or both of those. It wasn't meat dufflebags though, it was people. Actually, I guess people are meat dufflebags so

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 1, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the terminator definitely grew out of the cold war but what's always stuck with me since i was a kid and fell in love with the first two films was that it's more about our inhumanity towards each other in general. and it's not even subtext - you have the scene where they see the two kids play fighting and john asks the terminator "we're not going to make it, are we? humans i mean." and the terminator says it's on our nature to destroy ourselves. it still applies to something like climate change where we have executives of major corporations knowing about the issue for decades and purposely making the public stupid about the issue so they welcome their own demise.

like chomsky said, the republican party is the most dangerous organization to ever exist since the nazis' aim wasn't to destroy all of mankind.

and that's why partly why i can't stand the sequels (besides them being terrible to mediocre films) - the second movie ends on a note of hope.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 1, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Yeah, I think anything like that has to hit on universal themes too. Like the dalek example is a thing people are still using and liking 80 years past any little british kid was sitting around during a blitz making up some mish mash fear of a german tank coming in their house and yelling mean things to them in a harsh voice. But it seems like that sort of genuine fear probably was important to the longevity of them as an iconic villain.

Like terminator so specifically being the inevitability of nuclear war specifically being a foreign man who is coming to your house and needs to kill your children. And like no terminator since the first two being resonant to anyone because the terminators aren't anything MORE anymore. They are valid sci-fi stories but like, no one is getting anything out of a secret robot who needs a heart transplant or time travel nanobot adventures disconnected to anything.

Like I bet someone could make a terminator climate change movie, that was more than just a smog monster terminator. Some like, "why do the companies keep making these!! we know this is going to kill us all! stop making all these robot skeletons! we 100% saw the future and know they kill us! stop! come on! no, don't call it skynet! come on! we have photos right here of them turning into killer robots in 80 years! just stop making them!" like an open public build up of skynet and terminators that everyone knows with certainty ends the human race and a refusal to just stop making them.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Re: Meatbag weapons

I actually think Skynet would logically fear loving with the butterfly effect a little too much. Sending a bag of future weapons into the past would have massive ramifications just way out of whack with anything predictable. Skynet's goal was self-preservation, not literally loving with everything just because.

In contrast, an autonomous Terminator could fulfill its mission and then properly terminate itself completely leaving 0 traces of its tech.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Something like that wouldn't work from the text, though. Cyberdyne is developing SkyNet in Los Angeles, so sending a nuke back (assuming Skynet even has any usable nukes left after the war) would be suicidal.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

the terminator definitely grew out of the cold war but what's always stuck with me since i was a kid and fell in love with the first two films was that it's more about our inhumanity towards each other in general. and it's not even subtext - you have the scene where they see the two kids play fighting and john asks the terminator "we're not going to make it, are we? humans i mean." and the terminator says it's on our nature to destroy ourselves. it still applies to something like climate change where we have executives of major corporations knowing about the issue for decades and purposely making the public stupid about the issue so they welcome their own demise.

Terminator Salvation is literally about a Skynet that has allied itself with the richest humans, Elysium-style.

The question is what you mean by hope, because while Cyberdyne is (sort-of) defeated at the end of T2, what happens next? Why are there still liquid-metal killbots in the future?

This is explored in the alternate ending of T2, and in Terminator 5. Like, ok, John Connor becomes a liberal senator or 'green' philanthropist CEO. The Genesis operating system isn't being made for profit; that would be vulgar. John is trying to save humanity and bring peace on Earth, the only way he knows how. And if that means an army of liquid-metal killbots, so be it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shut the gently caress up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

shut the gently caress up.

Top image: Utopian future-Washington during Senator J. Connor's 'commonsense revolution'. Liquid-metal dudes are being manufactured in the background.

Bottom image: ORACLE corporate HQ, aka Cyberdyne. Home of the "Genisys" OS and the liquid-metal production plant in Terminator 5.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 1, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that scene was cut from the film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

that scene was cut from the film.

Yet we've all seen it. It's a possible outcome, depending on how you define hope.

"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves", means there WILL be liquid-metal dudes (as we see in T2, they already exist) but we can change the conditions under which they are constructed.

In Terminator 5, Skynet HQ goes from a bunker in a blasted hellscape, under perpetual nightfall, to a shiny San Fransisco office building with trees and a pond. Skynet itself is even rebranded as Genisys. There has been progress - but not enough. It's still bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the film as released did not contain the scene i will not accept this expanded universe drivel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Imagine responding to SuperMechagodzilla posts multiple times in 2019. The future is not set.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Imagine responding to SuperMechagodzilla posts multiple times in 2019. The future is not set.

it's fun getting him to put in 10 times the effort i do and still be wrong.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

the film as released did not contain the scene i will not accept this expanded universe drivel.

Ok, so what is your hopeful plan to defeat the liquid-metal men from "the unknown future"?
Specifically, how does it differ from the alternate ending of T2, and/or T5?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 1, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

Sarah Conner Chronicles touched on this, too, haha.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

Right, that's how I always understood it. I just mean there's no logical reason to send a lovely T-800 when you have perfectly good T-1000s. It's like if Apple gave some of their top execs iPad Airs when they've already produced Pros.

My only logical head canon explanation would be that the T-1000 didn't even exist until Reese changed something in the past.

Terminator 2 says that the T-1000 was a prototype. Skynet just basically sent an untested prototype out as part of a last-ditch effort.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, so what is your hopeful plan to defeat the liquid-metal men from "the unknown future"?
Specifically, how does it differ from the alternate ending of T2, and/or T5?

no more EU bullshit, nerd.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's fun getting him to put in 10 times the effort i do and still be wrong.

Gloating about how much effort other posters put into replies to your shitposts is loving pathetic, dude.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Anyone know what Edward Furlong looks like today? That's going to be some sad loving image if he looks like poo poo during his cameo. Hell, it'd be some sad implication for John Connor, a man destined to be the hero of mankind for a war and revolution that never comes, letting himself go because there's no fate but what we make.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are a bunch of pictures online of him looking chubby and disheveled, but he'll probably clean up fine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
To be fair the guy is 41 years old, nobody should expect that he's gonna show up looking like an Adonis all the sudden.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It'd be kinda hosed up if they do that de-aging CGI on him like Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Let Zack Snyder have him, Furlong will have abs you can grate cheese on in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

To be fair the guy is 41 years old, nobody should expect that he's gonna show up looking like an Adonis all the sudden.
The guy has substance abuse issues, but I feel like any child actor who doesn't grow up to be a skinny and beautiful adult just gets picked on. You could get a hundred lovely pictures of any movie star.