Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I have an unopened copy of Civ VI ready to go and I haven't played a Civ since 2 so hopefully ignorance is bliss in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
LoL if you weren't playing Doom in 1994 with the music turned off and a CD playing

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I don't get how people can preload a month in advance. How can you stare at an icon that you can't use for that long? I'll preload day of, can't do it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Your Computer posted:

I'm gonna play on easy casual :twisted:

I am very bad at these games okay
I think I'm going to start over and do this. I've never played a game like this and one of my guys already died in the first battle, and I think I messed up some of the teaching stuff already. I figure this is probably a good place for a redo now that I have an idea what I'm doing. I oughta be back where I am in a few hours since I won't have to actually read everything again.

It's a really engrossing game though. I'm glad I got it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheScott2K posted:

LoL if you weren't playing Doom in 1994 with the music turned off and a CD playing

The 486 my parents bought me for 'homework' didn't have a sound card :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

I had a Mac so we got the superior Marathon :colbert:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't get how people can preload a month in advance. How can you stare at an icon that you can't use for that long? I'll preload day of, can't do it.

Because poo poo happens. Last week there was a goon in here lamenting that the internet was down where they were so they couldn't download FE.

Someone might be traveling when a game gets released, so it is easier to preload a week or two ahead of time, then connect to airport wifi to unlock your game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a Mac so we got the superior Marathon :colbert:

Marathon was so boring it was almost educational

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

too busy playing other games to be bothered by it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

Marathon was so boring it was almost educational

That was Doom, Doom was the boring one.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Your Computer posted:

don't talk to me about skill if u haven't beaten dark souls using the dk bongos

i asked that u not publicly describe my romance style even via metaphor :negative:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1156972864748314630

They'll never do it for anything cool but the concept of free game "rentals" through the online service is neat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario Tennis Aces 3 day trial and than 20% off, save carries over

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1156973460590956544?s=19

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

Every Civ game is perfect and beautiful in it's own way

*Boots up Civ III*

I respect this immensely.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

American McGay posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1156972864748314630

They'll never do it for anything cool but the concept of free game "rentals" through the online service is neat.
Eh, that's pretty cool, I guess, but it definitely won't make anyone rush out to get Nintendo Online if they don't already have it. Who knows, maybe at some point, it'll have something more than just Tetris 99.

On the other hand, Nintendo Online sucking rear end keeps away vipers like EA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6b7FrehyY

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Marathon is the one with save points and walls of text on wall PCs?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Marathon is the one with save points and walls of text on wall PCs?

Yeah, it rules

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Beastie posted:

Because poo poo happens. Last week there was a goon in here lamenting that the internet was down where they were so they couldn't download FE.

Someone might be traveling when a game gets released, so it is easier to preload a week or two ahead of time, then connect to airport wifi to unlock your game.

Please don't use logic to bully me

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

Eh, that's pretty cool, I guess, but it definitely won't make anyone rush out to get Nintendo Online if they don't already have it. Who knows, maybe at some point, it'll have something more than just Tetris 99.

The title alone made me laugh at EA. Yes people don't like poo poo products, shocker that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The Switch Bloodstained performance update is still a ways off with no ETA. This post in the same thread summarizes things better than I can:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892153&perpage=40&pagenumber=115#post497182033

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Wildtortilla posted:

The Switch Bloodstained performance update is still a ways off with no ETA. This post in the same thread summarizes things better than I can:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892153&perpage=40&pagenumber=115#post497182033

I downloaded the game but, having heard all the buzz about the terrible performance, have held off on even launching it until it gets unfucked. Kinda feeling like that's never going to happen at this rate

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It'll definitely happen, but it seems like it'll take a few months.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LethalGeek posted:

The title alone made me laugh at EA. Yes people don't like poo poo products, shocker that.

I do think EA is correct more broadly that the Switch audience isn't interested in the kinds of games they're interested in making - namely, a small number of games designed for long-term play that leads to recurring purchases over the course of at least one year.

The numbers for FIFA Ultimate Team on FIFA 19, whose Switch version is probably as technically good as a Switch version of that can be, are probably terrible compared to Xbone and PS4, where everyone is online all the time. Switch-first users, of the three current console platform userbases, are the ones most-connected to the "game as a single purchase" paradigm, and that's just not the business EA is in. If they thought they could sell those dozens of expansion packs for The Sims 4 after that initial purchase they'd probably port it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The problem for EA is that those ~70% that own another console and a switch also know they're putting out subpar products on the switch. Instead of investing in a port of the frostbite engine, they decided to give crumbs. Notice how 2k is still day and date on features with the switch version, as unfortunate as that is in regards to VC. But that also should put to rest any notion that nintendo's infrastructure can't handle EAs schemes when Fortnite purchases tops the eshop every month

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wildtortilla posted:

lol

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

404notfound posted:

I downloaded the game but, having heard all the buzz about the terrible performance, have held off on even launching it until it gets unfucked. Kinda feeling like that's never going to happen at this rate

I would be very surprised if this was a quick fix that they can crank out in a week. The programming in Bloodstained is... unoptimized to say the least (more contrite words might be ‘slipshod’ and ‘failure-prone’ with the number of crashes I’ve had on PC) and even the PS4 Pro and PC versions run into performance issues. The Switch version is very likely going to need more then some asset replacements and fixed code to run better- I suspect entire elements are going to have to be redone from the ground up to run on the much weaker Switch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

get that OUT of my face posted:

Normally I agree with his pro consumerist position, but this is more :wotwot: "It can't run 90% of our current games/engines over 15fps without significant work and the ROI just isn't there in our opinion"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
rare double post

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

I've bought Doom more times than I can count. The Doom ports aren't as good as the XBLA/BFG versions but they're fine. The music is a little hosed up from perfect but this is a game where the music sounded different on basically every sound card. They're fine. If you want to play retail Doom on your Switch here it is for $5.

This is how I feel. It’s mostly pretty good. I played OG doom on a pentium 75 with the first house of pain album in the CD-ROM drive.

I survived SNES doom, 32x doom, touch doom on android and GBA doom. From my perspective this is a pretty drat good port, all things considered

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, last week I got a SNES30 Pro from 8Bitdo, bought from Best Buy. I was playing splitscreen Rocket League with my son, and holy poo poo, the input lag. What the hell? Apparently it's at its worst in thattgame, but other games suffer to different degrees if you're playing with both an official Nintendo controller (or two, if you've got two joycons together) and the SNES30 Pro.

I can't check the firmware at the moment, but would there be a recent update to it that fixes this? I saw a tweet about an update from 2017 that claimed it addressed this problem. I'd like to think that the firmware it's currently running is more recent than 2017, though that would certainly be an easy fix if it's the case and the update works.

Anyone else experiencing this?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My Switch's back panel has a large crack, so I'm looking at picking up one of those transparent BassTop back panels. Is there a better quality/appearance alternative that I should be considering?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, last week I got a SNES30 Pro from 8Bitdo, bought from Best Buy. I was playing splitscreen Rocket League with my son, and holy poo poo, the input lag. What the hell? Apparently it's at its worst in thattgame, but other games suffer to different degrees if you're playing with both an official Nintendo controller (or two, if you've got two joycons together) and the SNES30 Pro.

I can't check the firmware at the moment, but would there be a recent update to it that fixes this? I saw a tweet about an update from 2017 that claimed it addressed this problem. I'd like to think that the firmware it's currently running is more recent than 2017, though that would certainly be an easy fix if it's the case and the update works.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Never had that problem with mine but the first thing I did was update the firmware cause the original had some trouble syncing. So yeah, firmware update. There's no real way to know if that controller was updated or has been sitting around for ages.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LethalGeek posted:

Never had that problem with mine but the first thing I did was update the firmware cause the original had some trouble syncing. So yeah, firmware update. There's no real way to know if that controller was updated or has been sitting around for ages.

Ok, cool. I'll check into it later tonight. So, when you say you've never had a problem, I'm assuming you've played with it along with someone else playing with a joycon or two? Any chance you were also playing Rocket League? No idea why that game seems to be affected the most.

I heard Mario Kart also had this issue.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, cool. I'll check into it later tonight. So, when you say you've never had a problem, I'm assuming you've played with it along with someone else playing with a joycon or two? Any chance you were also playing Rocket League? No idea why that game seems to be affected the most.

I heard Mario Kart also had this issue.

8bitdo posted:

Firmware v1.30
Enhance the accuracy of joystick.
Fixed input lag when more than three players problem.

Sounds like this was the problem you're having, so yeah update to 1.31 and see if it persists.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Mario Tennis Aces 3 day trial and than 20% off, save carries over

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1156973460590956544?s=19

Never buy things at launch is the lesson learned here. 42 euro is a far more bearable price for this game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the best way to save $10 is never buy things ever

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Super No Vacancy posted:

the best way to save $10 is never buy things ever

Wait like a week and Walmart will have it for $10 off

Which is impossible!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Never buy things at launch is the lesson learned here. 42 euro is a far more bearable price for this game.
The game has been out for over a year. If that's your takeaway from this then more power to you I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You shouldn’t really buy a Mario sports game on launch unless you really love em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Toaster Beef posted:

I got Civ VI for the Switch on the 16th of July and I've already put more than forty hours into it. It's my first Civ since the second one back in '96 so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing, but I'm having a great time.

i dunno if this bug is in the switch version but on pc the AI will straight up contact you to propose trade and if you click accept they'll say "this deal isn't good enough for us"