Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm still waiting for my Intrepid. Tracking number never got tracked and I agreed to give them a reasonable amount of time. That time is now up, so they either have to courier a new one over or give me a refund.
I know the thread warned me, but they are really badly organized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They've been pulling that "we're just a small company trying our best" poo poo for far too long, lmao

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah. this is more like a early kickstarter company, than one who has already done several revisions, etc.

Similarly, I asked for a lens holder to get added to my order, but that wasn't possible and I had to order it and get it shipped separately. (That *has* turned up, but it still took them 2 weeks to actually ship it).

I know, you told me so...I still want the camera, though!.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

You better hope your Intrepid has no problems when you get it, otherwise you'll be doing this all over again.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Why the gently caress does like every person who shoots LF on YouTube use intrepids? It really does feel like kickstarter dedication crowd mentality.

I assume that the reason you tubers use it is probably because intrepid shipped theirs high priority and likely gave them their cameras for free lol

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

yeah and honestly a lot of those shooters don't know why it's bad, they're not necessarily 4x5 shooters who know what it should feel like. if i had never used a chamonix or touched any other good field camera i might assume that the intrepid is the way it is as some sort of fact of large format cameras (leaky, wobbly, badly finished) instead of a sign of lovely manufacturing. i sincerely believe that the makers of the intrepid weren't serious large format shooters before they started selling cameras.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

alkanphel posted:

You better hope your Intrepid has no problems when you get it, otherwise you'll be doing this all over again.

Any problems and it's a refund. I was this close to pulling it when they shipped it. I have everything else ready. (Ok, so still need an spare box/envelope for exposed film).
They didn't reply to my email today, so if there's no reply tomorrow, then I'll start a paypal dispute.

I mostly looked at Ben Horne and Alex Burke. Not sure if they're typical youtubers, but at least they seem to have 'other' photography experience.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Why the gently caress does like every person who shoots LF on YouTube use intrepids? It really does feel like kickstarter dedication crowd mentality.

I assume that the reason you tubers use it is probably because intrepid shipped theirs high priority and likely gave them their cameras for free lol

Yeah because most of us serious LF shooters already have better cameras and would laugh at the Intrepid ones. And also most of the serious ones are not on YouTube or care about a social media presence.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I mostly looked at Ben Horne and Alex Burke. Not sure if they're typical youtubers, but at least they seem to have 'other' photography experience.

Yeah these 2 guys have more of a social media presence, along with Michael Strickland. I'm sure there's more but not as big as these guys.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 1, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

alkanphel posted:

Yeah because most of us serious LF shooters already have better cameras and would laugh at the Intrepid ones. And also most of the serious ones are not on YouTube or care about a social media presence.

Yeah this definitely makes sense, it's possibly the most involved form of photography and when you still see lots of "I like shooting film because it forces me to think about each shot and not use automatic settings all the time!" online it's not a huge surprise there isn't a large social media presence around it. And the one that does exist is for the cheap fad option! As someone thinking about breaking into LF as a hobby specifically, having some of those vlog-style videos has been helpful to get at least some kind of (admittedly curated) idea of what the experience of shooting LF is like, in a more tangible way than merely reading about it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah this definitely makes sense, it's possibly the most involved form of photography and when you still see lots of "I like shooting film because it forces me to think about each shot and not use automatic settings all the time!" online it's not a huge surprise there isn't a large social media presence around it. And the one that does exist is for the cheap fad option! As someone thinking about breaking into LF as a hobby specifically, having some of those vlog-style videos has been helpful to get at least some kind of (admittedly curated) idea of what the experience of shooting LF is like, in a more tangible way than merely reading about it.

Most of those film fad shooters tend to be mostly 35mm film shooters because it's the easiest and cheapest way to get into film. They usually quit film the fastest too. There's a lot of effort involved getting into LF film photography so it is relaly for those who want to shoot LF and usually not just for a fad.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Also if you’re getting into LF with some decent gear you won’t lose money if you decide it’s not for you. The gear isn’t cheap, but it holds its value well.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Alright going to pull the trigger on the 45n2. Going to start looking for a fujinon 150 5.6 as well.

Any suggestions for a loupe? After some research it seems like some people use +4.00 or whatever drugstore reading glasses instead of a loupe which makes sense, frees up your hand. Is there any reason not to try that?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I use a wista 5x loupe, it's small and easy to use

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I use a cheap slide viewer where I popped the bottom piece of diffuse plastic off and ground it flat but uhhhh you should probably not do that. I have really good eyesight so I don't find the loupe is absolutely critical but it may be different for you.

Also nice choice, that's what I have except 135mm instead of 150.

Do you have a lightmeter? (a DSLR or phone with a lightmeter app can work in a pinch). Also I fond that a proper dark cloth was much nicer to use than a black t-shirt, especially outdoors.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I have reasonably good eyesight and I still can't focus critically (like when using tilt/shift to actually increase what's in focus instead of just obliterating it for ~bokeys~)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, it actually appears to be waiting for me at the post office!.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Google Butt posted:

Any suggestions for a loupe? After some research it seems like some people use +4.00 or whatever drugstore reading glasses instead of a loupe which makes sense, frees up your hand. Is there any reason not to try that?

The EMO Macromax 5X loupe (later acquired by Leica and rebranded with a substantial Red Dot tax) is my hands-down favorite, to the point that I keep an eye on eBay for good prices and good copies to get spares in case anything ever happens to mine. Right now though the supply is a little dry and the price is about $150-200, roughly double what they usually go for. That's still pretty good (comparable Schneider and Rodenstock loupes were $275-300 when they were in production) but probably overkill for your first.

This Fuji will be pretty good for the price.

I've tried the reading-glasses and they're pretty good for ballpark estimation, but I have a lot of trouble getting really critical focus with them. Your experience may vary and you'll have to decide how important that is.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Reversed 50mm prime

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally got my Intrepid Mk4.
Plywood & Alu parts are nice, but the knob for mounting the front standard and the focus knob was just lying loose in the box and not on their bolts....and one of the clips holding the ground glass came off the moment I put in a film holder, sending both the ground glass and the film holder flying. Luckily I was on a thick area rug and not on the concrete floor!. Easy fix, but could have been costly. Their QC definitely could be better.

However...I'm still pretty happy. It's fairly light, easy to use and I wont have to worry (too much) about it getting knocked about. Now that I have all the accessories, it wont seem as costly, should I grab a Charmonix later on.

Also, thanks to whoever it was who recommended the Macromax loupe. It works awesome.

Gonna spend the evening going through the motions and then I should have time get out to a 'test spot' tomorrow after work.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Don't have LF stuff, but do have MF stuff.

img093 by Cody P, on Flickr

img096 by Cody P, on Flickr

img100 by Cody P, on Flickr

img094 by Cody P, on Flickr

All shot on a Yashica Mat 124 with Illford HP5+ 400 pushed to 1600 (was shooting inside a nuclear reactor building, which was very dark) Would love any and all feedback, since I realize I haven't been taking this hobby as seriously as I want lately.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, it works!

Fujinon 150mm, FP4. 2 x f11 @ 4 secs and f16ish @ 8 seconds. I realized my counting was all over the place so I'm amazed they came out as consistent as this.

(Scan of a contact sheet...didn't want to spend money of paying for scanning just yet).

I was running out of light and getting eaten by mosquitoes, so I rushed more than I would have liked and this was mostly to check if everything worked.

Lessons learned:
- A towel is useless as a dark cloth..lets in way too much light and I had a hard time composing. (And/or the ground glass from intrepid is not very bright). A real dark cloth will be ordered
- Tripod mount came loose, hence the varying compositiion. It was finger tight, which was not enough.
- bring bug repellent!. This place is normally fine if you keep moving.
- Use a real timer!.
- Buy a scanner!

Super stoked..was half expecting to get super under exposed grey mush back.
$36 CAD for 4 films + contact sheet.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
As a general rule, with black and white - especially cubic grained film such as FP4 and TriX - when in doubt just overexpose it a stop or two.
It really does not matter. 2-3 stops barely registers in the highlights but you get more shadow detail. And if you're wet printing 5 stops or more is still totally salvageable. The same is true for color negative also. Just roast that film

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Pulled the trigger on the 45n-2!

Tripod question, I have an older Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod with a 496rc2 ballhead, will that be alright for the Chamonix? I don't know poo poo about tripods in regards to LF cameras.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Pulled the trigger on the 45n-2!

Tripod question, I have an older Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod with a 496rc2 ballhead, will that be alright for the Chamonix? I don't know poo poo about tripods in regards to LF cameras.

I have a Chinese carbon tripod, Zomei z818c, with whatever ball head it came with and a Chamonix 45n-2 and I haven't had any issues so far. Granted I haven't had to use it in extremely strong wind but I've taken it hiking, used it on some uneven ground near cliff edges and the like without issue. I'd say whatever you have now is probably fine, if after you've used it for a bit and there's some issue change it but it's a pretty light camera so I don't think it's going to be an issue for any decent tripod.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I converted my changing bag into a dark cloth and still find the ground glass very dark...granted this was indoors, but I was struggling to compose. (Yes, wide open).

I guess that not all ground glass is made equal?

Also looking for viewfinder apps (Android). Currently using Magic Camera Viewfinder (free). Any other worth using?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Any suggestions for some affordable black and white 4x5 to practice with? Thinking about picking up the sp-445 kit with the solution and a 100 pack of foma 100, but I'm not familiar with it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I just ordered it, but I'm also just fumbling my way through this :D

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I converted my changing bag into a dark cloth and still find the ground glass very dark...granted this was indoors, but I was struggling to compose. (Yes, wide open).

The Chamonix 4x5 has a fresnel over the ground glass that helps to make it much brighter. I’m not sure if the Intrepid has one or not. In very dark areas, some people use a laser pointer to help focusing. I was once shooting in a very dark stairwell (photo is in the OP) so I got a friend to stand near the stairs and hold their phone screen towards me so I focused on that.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Also, thanks to whoever it was who recommended the Macromax loupe. It works awesome.

Glad to hear you like it! Also that you got one before the prices spiked.

Ground glass is one of those things that looks really simple at first glance but can have quite a lot going into it. The quality of the glass itself matters, of course. On top of that, some ground glass will have a Fresnel built into help with your perceived brightness, and there are other manufacturing tricks people use to get them better. You can add a Fresnel if it bothers you (token ebay link - check your dimensions). There are a few companies that will offer better ground glass for any large-format camera you care to measure for them, but past a certain point (for example, Bill Maxwell's incredibly excellent screens can run you $500+ at the high end) you're better off just selling the camera and buying a Chamonix.

There's supposedly a very old trick of waxing your ground glass to make it brighter (a very, very thin layer of paraffin rubbed into the frosted side of your glass), but I don't know exactly what's in your Intrepid or how well it would work.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Any suggestions for some affordable black and white 4x5 to practice with? Thinking about picking up the sp-445 kit with the solution and a 100 pack of foma 100, but I'm not familiar with it.

yo seriously if you want "affordable" just don't shoot 4x5. don't waste your time shooting garbage film like foma, even for testing

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

ansel autisms posted:

yo seriously if you want "affordable" just don't shoot 4x5. don't waste your time shooting garbage film like foma, even for testing

Yeah I looked at film prices after I posted that and it's all pretty much the same, thought there was a wider range. What are the non garbage bw films I should try out?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

I don't know. You get it for like a song with that kit and I see it as a perfect opportunity to experiment, especially with movements.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Google Butt posted:

Yeah I looked at film prices after I posted that and it's all pretty much the same, thought there was a wider range. What are the non garbage bw films I should try out?

Ilford is where it's at for me. HP5+ for 400 speed - and faster, because it pushes great up to 3200. I still have a large stash of 4x5 Fuji Acros for my 100 speed film, but Ilford has the roughly equivalent Delta 100. Kodak 4x5 B&W stuff is fine but too expensive for what it is.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I don't know. You get it for like a song with that kit and I see it as a perfect opportunity to experiment, especially with movements.

you can use the ground glass to experiment with movements

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Large format

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Been researching enlargers and I see intrepid is selling a kit to convert an lf camera. Does it look like it'll be a legit option?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
looks a clown enlarger for clowns to make prints of the circus

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Google Butt posted:

Been researching enlargers and I see intrepid is selling a kit to convert an lf camera. Does it look like it'll be a legit option?

I'm not sure how you could read any of the posts about Intrepid's cameras in here and think this is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Google Butt posted:

Go find a communal darkroom or prepare to shell out for a LF enlarger, something like a Durst 138 with proper condenser lens pairs.

Throw the intrepid in the bin, it will only make you hate photography.