Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

that is slander, only skeletor's face is skeletal :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sapho is in the book. I haven't gone to the trouble of finding a specific quote or page but it's in the glossary in the back of the book and definitely says mentats claim it's brainroids. Also mentions the red staining of the lips.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I think it was the little chant Piter says that Lynch invented.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think it was the little chant Piter says that Lynch invented.
Yeah, sapho juice comes up in the glossary (not to be confused with Glossu, the Beast Rabban)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm pretty sure there's a passage somewhere that mentions it in the text too but I ain't gonna go hunting for it. I can't imagine it's in the glossary if it wasn't.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Now I need to know if Lynch came up with the line "it is by will alone I set my mind in motion" because if so he needs to write the Dune extended universe novels instead of failson.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a passage somewhere that mentions it in the text too but I ain't gonna go hunting for it. I can't imagine it's in the glossary if it wasn't.

quote:

Paul looked at his father, back to Hawat, suddenly conscious of the Mentat's great age, aware that the old man had served three generations of Atreides. Aged. It showed in the rheumy shine of the brown eyes, in the cheeks cracked and burned by exotic weathers, in the rounded curve of the shoulders and the thin set of his lips with the cranberry-colored stain of sapho juice.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cranberry, vodka, cointreau, rose's lime.

Done.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah hell even just some boozy rear end punch would've worked. Just a big ol bowl of sapho.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Thanks I was just about to type it out haha

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

just make paul fight rabban at the end, get rid of feyd entirely, bautista is lovely enough

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I beliueve in Villanueve

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Doc Hawkins posted:

just make paul fight rabban at the end, get rid of feyd entirely, bautista is lovely enough

But Timothee Chalamet is little and Bautista could destroy him with but a single Batista Bomb.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kiimo posted:

Now I need to know if Lynch came up with the line "it is by will alone I set my mind in motion" because if so he needs to write the Dune extended universe novels instead of failson.

Idk if Lynch wrote it but it is definitely original to the movie

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Lynch is credited with the screenplay at least.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kiimo posted:

drink chat

I think you guys are vastly overestimating how much film crew types care about the minutiae of the story they shot.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I work with a lot of film industry types and every single one of them says they don’t watch the movies they work on.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Booze chat beats acknowledging that Frank had a son. :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I work with a lot of film industry types and every single one of them says they don’t watch the movies they work on.

That's so loving depressing.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's so loving depressing.

It's a little less depressing when you account for the fact that 97% of movies are complete trash

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Communist Walrus posted:

It's a little less depressing when you account for the fact that 97% of movies are complete trash

When I was a cobbler I would still take pride in my labor even though people mostly brought me garbage to repair.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I work with a lot of Bene Gesserit types and every single one of them says they don’t watch the selective breeding programs they work on.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Nessus posted:

Yeah, sapho juice comes up in the glossary (not to be confused with Glossu, the Beast Rabban)

If I recall, Hawat is described as having stained lips too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey I’m a film industry type!

Ok I watch maybe half the films I work on. It’s demonstrably less for union types like the tatted up crew who smoke everywhere and nobody has the balls to ask them to stop even in 2019 Los Angeles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Taking into consideration they work on a shitload of different movies all the time and most are by the numbers garbage, not surprising.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I don't see the problem.

I also don't watch most of the movies industry types make.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Miles Teg seems like a Duncan Idaho if he didn't suck as much. Also he is too old for this poo poo.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Miles Teg seems like a Duncan Idaho if he didn't suck as much. Also he is too old for this poo poo.

And then he fucks his mom and gets bullet time? I think?
Or wait he gwts bullet time, dies, then his daughter rapes his clone?

Those last 2 books, man...

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Temaukel posted:

No cinnamon? Pathetic.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Shoulda had a whiskey (usquebaugh) cocktail called the Water of Life

It literally could have just been fireball whiskey! You can even put that in coffee!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I am a film industry type and there's no point watching films/tv shows you've worked on, at least for me. I find it difficult to not just constantly relate what's on screen to what it was like shooting that scene: oh they chose that take instead of the other one, hmm they only used three angles on this scene when we did twelve set ups, this actor was a real dick I hope I never work with him again, oh that's what the guy in a green suit looks like with the CGI, didn't we shoot this scene on the day they served that terrible lasagna for lunch everyone hated? etc. etc. etc. It's pointless and I don't engage with the story.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And then he fucks his mom and gets bullet time? I think?
Or wait he gwts bullet time, dies, then his daughter rapes his clone?

Those last 2 books, man...

Bullet time was unrelated. He got bullet time from getting electro-waterboarded.

The rape was to revive the original from his ghola and iirc it was Sheeana. Lucilla was the one that was going to rape the Duncan ghola, and that's not Teg's daughter, just another BG of the Siona line that looked a lot like Jessica, as did Odrade.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

tanglewood1420 posted:

I am a film industry type and there's no point watching films/tv shows you've worked on, at least for me. I find it difficult to not just constantly relate what's on screen to what it was like shooting that scene: oh they chose that take instead of the other one, hmm they only used three angles on this scene when we did twelve set ups, this actor was a real dick I hope I never work with him again, oh that's what the guy in a green suit looks like with the CGI, didn't we shoot this scene on the day they served that terrible lasagna for lunch everyone hated? etc. etc. etc. It's pointless and I don't engage with the story.

It was mostly this reason they gave, also that they just don’t really care about movies other than a job. And many movies are just crap. Oh and one guy who hated Hollywood because it’s run by the Illuminati for evil mind control and child sex slavery and world dominance. That guy was interesting. Didn’t stop him collecting a paycheck from it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It was mostly this reason they gave, also that they just don’t really care about movies other than a job. And many movies are just crap. Oh and one guy who hated Hollywood because it’s run by the Illuminati for evil mind control and child sex slavery and world dominance. That guy was interesting. Didn’t stop him collecting a paycheck from it.

I mean, he's right about the child sex slavery at the very least.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Bullet time was unrelated. He got bullet time from getting electro-waterboarded.

Do they ever explain why being electro-waterboarded gave him physical superpowers beyond anything we ever see in the series otherwise?

That said, I do confess I like that part, as well as the bits with Duncan and Murbella on the slums of Geidi Prime since they’re the only real looks we ever get of how average schmucks live in this universe. And it’s got some cool stuff, and there’s a lot more I can’t even remember. There’s sewer workers who have been bred to lack a sense of smell, there’s roving gangs of street kids who’ll lynch anyone who doesn’t accept Leto II as their lord and savior, etc.

Oh and that is also the part of the book where Murbella acts all high and mighty about her superior sexual knowledge, and then whichever BG Sister is there is like “excuse me bitch, while it’s true that the HM sexology corpus is far in advance of our own, you’re just a HM novice where I’m the premier Sexologist in the entire Bene Gesserit and have written multiple treatises on how to [various kinky poo poo only Old Frank would think to write] etc.”

Edit: unrelated (I think), but I just remembered that there’s furries in Heretics, genetically engineered to fight the Honored Matres. But I think the Honored Matres’ Mother Superior has one as a cabana boy?

God, if you cut out or at least heavily toned down the sex stuff, Heretics of Dune would be what I’d expect and want from Dune EU licensed fanfiction. Like at least it has the feel for the world, and doesn’t have robots fighting a conventional war against humans because somebody yeeted a baby out a window.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 2, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Do they ever explain why being electro-waterboarded gave him physical superpowers beyond anything we ever see in the series otherwise?

That sounds like a comic book supervillain origin story.

quote:

Oh and that is also the part of the book where Murbella acts all high and mighty about her superior sexual knowledge, and then whichever BG Sister is there is like “excuse me bitch, while it’s true that the HM sexology corpus is far in advance of our own, you’re just a HM novice where I’m the premier Sexologist in the entire Bene Gesserit and have written multiple treatises on how to [various kinky poo poo only Old Frank would think to write] etc.”

Now picturing an extremely explicit version of the Navy SEAL copypasta.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds like a comic book supervillain origin story.

It’s been a bit since I read it, but I think you’re pretty much spot on.
When I have a free moment at work I can find the entire passage on Kindle and post it.

Is that allowed if I use citations?

Okay I was wrong about which characters were involved. It's someone named Sirafa? I have no loving idea who she is, and the wiki turns up nothing.

Kindle says it starts around page 330 and goes till 334, because it's a dialogue exchange, but Ebook pages are weird.

"Herbert, F. (1984). Heretics of Dune. Of. 332-334. New York: Putnams Sons. posted:

Lucilla nodded curtly. “Very good,” Sirafa said. “May I presume you can administer vaginal pulsing?”
“I can.”
“From any position?”
“I can control any muscle in my body!”
Sirafa glanced past Lucilla at Burzmali. “True?” Burzmali spoke from close behind Lucilla: “Or she would not claim it.”
Sirafa looked thoughtful, her focus on Lucilla’s chin. “This is a complication, I think.” “Lest you get the wrong idea,” Lucilla said, “the abilities I was taught are not usually marketed. They have another purpose.”
“Oh, I’m sure they do,” Sirafa said. “But sexual agility is a—”
“Agility!” Lucilla allowed her tone to convey the full weight of a Reverend Mother’s outrage. No matter that this might be what Sirafa hoped to achieve, she had to be put in her place! “Agility, you say? I can control genital temperature. I know and can arouse the fifty-one excitation points. I—”
“Fifty-one? But there are only—”
“Fifty-one!” Lucilla snapped. “And the sequencing plus the combinations number two thousand and eight. Furthermore, in combination with the two hundred and five sexual positions—”
“Two hundred and five?” Sirafa was clearly startled. “Surely, you don’t mean—”
“More, actually, if you count minor variations. I am an Imprinter, which means I have mastered the three hundred steps of orgasmic amplification!”

On one hand it's extremely :gonk:, but on the other this is one of the most organic conversations in the series. Because Frank doesn't know what it's like to be a psychic space-bedouin warrior who doesn't bathe, but he does know what it's like to be extremely horny.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 2, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, he's right about the child sex slavery at the very least.

Yeah. When I first met him he started talking about chem trails. I though he was joking so I laughed along but he was deadly serious.

At the beginning of the playoffs he correctly called 3/4 teams in the NFL championship games and who would win the Super Bowl...because it was obvious which teams the Illuminati wanted to win just by their names.

E: If anyone is curious it was 2011. He picked:

Saints (because the Catholic Church and Mardi Gras are actually Illuminati Saturn/satan idolaters)
Patriots (because the Illuminati want to create nationalistic sentiment in order to get people ready for the next global holocaust)
Giants (who are actually named after the biblical nephilim)
Ravens (animal that ate the bodies of the dead after the great flood)

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 2, 2019

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You and me both, buddy, you and me both.

quoted from half a year ago

Anne Frank Funk posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class on Wallach IX, and I've been involved in numerous secret lays with fish speakers, and I know over 300 amplified sexual positions. I am trained in vaginal pulsation and I'm the top gusher in the entire BG sisterhood. You are nothing to me but just another imprint target. I will gently caress you with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this no-ship, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with using the voice on me? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the galaxy and your DNA is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my pussy lips. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the CHOAM Company and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the planet, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving dead, kiddo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

this page is the funniest one on these.forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

How about those deathstills then?

Do Fremen drink the blood of their enemies? Or do they actually have some kind of device that takes purified water out of corpses and leaves behind all the biological bits?

Is the spice just worm poop?

What other things that get danced around in the novels are probably very gross and depraved?
Like basically all other technology in the books it's glossed over, all we know is that the bodies are rendered for their water, whatever that means. I doubt it has much to do with rendering fat which involves heat, I always took it more as a way of dissolving the body and then cleaning the liquids until it's just water.

I think worms eat sand plankton, whereas spice is excreted by sandtrout into the water they encyst until there is no more water left and it's just a bunch of hydrogen, assuming the sandtrout separate the oxygen from the water.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I assumed this wouldn't work because of the stills evaporating the water and leaving behind anything else.

(Granted with actual distilling it's a little more complicated than that but we're talking sci-fi tech here so I just assume there's ways around having to throw away potentially contaminated portions)
Desiccating organic compounds completely doesn't seem like a very efficient way, since it's incredibly time-consuming and we know that Jamis' water gets brought back to Sietch Tabr that very evening after they leave.