Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, give me a Satoshi Kon box set. I have no idea why it's so difficult to find his work in blu ray (besides Paprika weirdly enough), but just gimme Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, and Perfect Blue and I'll double dip on Paprika.

Paranoia Agent could use a nice blu-ray set too, and is Kon's greatest accomplishment IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was gonna suggest a collection of Makoto Shinkai's short films, but then I realized he was making those on his home computer in the early 2000s, so it's probably impossible to do HD versions of them :(

So instead I'm gonna ask for a Criterion release of Gunbuster.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

Paranoia Agent could use a nice blu-ray set too, and is Kon's greatest accomplishment IMO.

Ugh I want this so much

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gripweed posted:

So instead I'm gonna ask for a Criterion release of Gunbuster.
I dunno how much crossover there between people who buy Criterion releases and people who like GunBuster, but it is kind of bizarre that there still isn't a proper release of that in the U.S.

Like you would think between the success of Shin Godzilla or the 30th anniversary of GunBuster last year that somebody might have tried to cash in on that but I guess not.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It’s not anime but it’s crazy to me there’s never been a good Ralph Bakshi box set. I really wish we could just get a good release of Coonskin.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The_Rob posted:

It’s not anime but it’s crazy to me there’s never been a good Ralph Bakshi box set. I really wish we could just get a good release of Coonskin.

Vinegar Syndrome was supposed to release it years ago.

Shout! Factory released Heavy Traffic. Fritz the Cat is owned by MGM, so it could by anyone since they licensed to literally every boutique label with the exception of Flicker Alley.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

discotek already does criterion-level releases of stuff for anime. at this point i just want more niche labels to get bigger recognition, i don't give a gently caress if it's criterion. it's kinda exhausting hearing people beg for things that criterion will almost never release because of whatever biases they have or have had in the past

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

GrandpaPants posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, give me a Satoshi Kon box set. I have no idea why it's so difficult to find his work in blu ray (besides Paprika weirdly enough), but just gimme Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, and Perfect Blue and I'll double dip on Paprika.

Perfect Blue just got a release on blu recently too

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Parallax posted:

discotek already does criterion-level releases of stuff for anime. at this point i just want more niche labels to get bigger recognition, i don't give a gently caress if it's criterion. it's kinda exhausting hearing people beg for things that criterion will almost never release because of whatever biases they have or have had in the past

Yeah, I'm fine with films simply getting a proper release. Or a release at all. Criterion is indeed the grandfather of great video treatment, but now there's also Arrow, Shout!, Kino Lorber, Indicator, and Eureka.

A lot of Criterion fans were pissed off when Kino got a bunch of their OOP titles from StudioCanal - The Milky Way, Alphaville, Leon Morin: Priest, Le Doulos, Bob le Flambeur, Last Year at Marienbad, Port of Shadows, Kind Hearts and Coronets, and Touchez pas au grisbi. Except I look at it as if we're getting "bonus" titles on top of Criterion's regular slate.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Parallax posted:

but Discotek's releases don't look as fancy on my shelf.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

GrandpaPants posted:

Perfect Blue just got released through Shout Factory, I think.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The only company I can think of that does Criterion-level releases of anime is AnimEigo, but I think the current theory is that they're doing the limited editions of the anime they still have the rights to left and once they're done, they're folding.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i mean discotek doesn't have fancy cases but they do have
https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1155597709610553345

and they're also putting out space cobra the movie on UHD-BD, the first anime one released in the west

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Kino has a good a selection of movies but I’ve never been a fan of their transfers. The picture is always leaving something to be desired. I’d still buy a blu Ray of the red and the white from them but they only have the dvd. Give me a blu Ray of that drat movie.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

Perfect Blue just got released through Shout Factory, I think.

And GKids is showing a Millennium Actress restoration so that'll probably get a blu as well

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Kino has a good a selection of movies but I’ve never been a fan of their transfers. The picture is always leaving something to be desired. I’d still buy a blu Ray of the red and the white from them but they only have the dvd. Give me a blu Ray of that drat movie.

Most of their releases use off-the-shelf masters provided by the licensors, especially MGM and Universal. They do some remastering and restoration themselves, plus many of the licensed titles have excellent materials.

Here's some of the best I've seen so far:

Becky Sharp - 4K restoration by UCLA and Paramount (mix of 35mm 3-strip camera negative, positives, dupe negative, and last reel from a dye-transfer print)
Daredevils of the Red Circle - 4K transfer by Paramount (35mm fine-grain)
The Adventures of Captain Marvel - 4K transfer by Paramount (35mm fine-grain)
The Spiral Staircase - 4K transfer by Disney (35mm fine-grain)
Under Capricorn - 4K restoration by CBS Digital and BFI (35mm camera negatives)
Trigger, Jr. - 4K transfer by Paramount (35mm camera negative)
Cease Fire! - 2K restoration by 3-D Film Archive and Paramount
Sangaree - 2K restoration by 3-D Film Archive and Paramount
Gog - 2K restoration by 3-D Film Archive and MGM
The Big Country - 2K remaster
Irma La Douce - 4K restoration by MGM
Charly - 2K remaster by Disney
The Lion in Winter - 4K restoration by StudioCanal
The Atomic Cafe - 4K restoration
La chinoise - 2K restoration by Gaumont
Bob le flambeur - 4K restoration by StudioCanal
Leon Morin, Priest - 4K restoration by StudioCanal
Le doulos - 4K restoration by StudioCanal
Last Year at Marienbad - 4K restoration by StudioCanal
Alphaville - 4K restoration by StudioCanal

The upcoming Blus of Hitchcock's Blackmail and Murder!, the Ealing comedies Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob, and The Lavender Hill Mob, are all from new 2K/4K restorations as well. Sweet Charity will be a new 4K from Universal.

And most of the Paramount silents - The Sheik, The Covered Wagon, Zaza, Stage Struck, It's the Old Army Game, Old Ironsides, You Never Know Women, Running Wild, and Beggars of Life are all from at least 2K masters supplied by the Library of Congress and Paramount.

Their one UHD release, Hannibal, is also excellent quality with a 4K Dolby Vision remaster supervised by the DoP.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thought I’d take a last look before the end of the sale and found they did a decent sized restock. Picked up Lady Snowblood, Touch of Zen and Branded to Kill.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh wow, completely whizzed right past me but When We Were Kings is getting added (bluray) in October, pretty much the best documentary on this planet.

I have waited SO loving LONG for this...

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 2, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Police Story 1 & 2 added, and a couple of the Alec Guinness ones leaving at the end of the month.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Oh wow, completely whizzed right past me but When We Were Kings is getting added (bluray) in October, pretty much the best documentary on this planet.

I have waited SO loving LONG for this...

Oh hell yeah, I just watched Ali and am primed for this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Unmature posted:

Oh hell yeah, I just watched Ali and am primed for this.

Ali and WWWK would actually make a really good double feature because they both include a bunch of peripheral stuff about the time period and famous faces in the black community.

Mario Van Peebles as Malcolm is great casting, the opening scene with Sam Cooke at the Copa, and that Lubezki camerawork :allears:

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What should I blind buy from B&N tomorrow? Tiny Furniture?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

Pick one of my underrated titles:

The Kennedy Films of Robert Drew & Associates - Primary and Crisis are essential viewing
Pierre Etaix - The Suitor and Le Grand Amour are two of the funniest films ever made, great if you like Tati and Bunuel
A Hollis Frampton Odyssey - Worth it just for Zorns Lemma and (nostalgia)
Lonesome - Late silent/part talky that's utterly charming.
King of Jazz - Early 2-color Technicolor musical revue, gorgeous restoration and great music (including the first film appearance of Rhapsody in Blue)
Bigger Than Life - Monster movie pretending to be a melodrama where James Mason wants to murder his family
Master of the House - Carl Theodor Dreyer does a comedy and it's funny!
War and Peace - Eight hours long, but redefines the idea of epic cinema and breezes by.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Seconding the Pierre Etaix set. It’s incredibly rewarding, and always great to have a director’s complete filmography in one place.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think everyone should own a copy of Double Life of Veronique.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wish I hadn't bought a used copy, there was something hosed up with the disc and the whole movie was tinted slightly yellow

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Alec Eiffel posted:

Tiny Furniture should only be purchased if you own literally every other Criterion and just want to complete your collection. And even then just buy the case and just pretend.

I watched Detour and I didn't realize it was only 68 minutes long, which explains why it moved so briskly. I kinda wish they had developed the Vera/Roberts relationship some more, but I appreciated the movie for what it was. Good blind buy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I have all their Kieslowski films on Blu and every single one is a masterpiece.

Dekalog is especially rewarding. For those concerned about it being ten hours of heavy stuff, the tenth episode is a full-out comedy and hilarious.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Egbert Souse posted:

I have all their Kieslowski films on Blu and every single one is a masterpiece.

Dekalog is especially rewarding. For those concerned about it being ten hours of heavy stuff, the tenth episode is a full-out comedy and hilarious.

I should go back then, the episodes (?) of Dekalog we watched for a European Cinema class were bummers.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Sex Lies and Videotape, Klute, or Shampoo?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

Sex Lies and Videotape, Klute, or Shampoo?

Klute

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Had SL&V in my hand and saw this comment and switch to Klute, thanks. Been dying to see it too, I’m a sucker for 70s thrillers

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is the face in the crowd blu?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

How is the face in the crowd blu?

Excellent, as expected. You can guarantee anything Criterion licenses from Warner Bros. or Sony to look and sound incredible. Most of the Warner licenses have the scans handled by their in-house team (same ones who do all the great Warner Archive work).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So do people like the Dietrich/von Sternberg movies?

I finished watching through those the other day and I have to say I found them pretty underwhelming as a whole- not that any of them were outright terrible or even bad, but there was thtis strangely lethargic quality to most of them that made them a bit more of a chore than I expected. The Scarlet Empress was probably my favorite of the bunch and a lot of that was just because of how nuts the set design is in that film (Though it makes the bizarre number of title cards for a film from 1934 perhaps standout even more).

I hadn't seen any of von Sternberg's films before watching these (I'll be getting that upcoming Underworld/Last Command/Docks of New York set for a point of comparison at least), but after having liked Dietrich in her later roles like in Destry Rides Again or Touch of Evil I was surprised by how little most of the films in this boxset did for me.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 5, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

So do people like the Dietrich/von Sternberg movies?

I finished watching through those the other day and I have to say I found them pretty underwhelming as a whole- not that any of them were outright terrible or even bad, but there was thtis strangely lethargic quality to most of them that made them a bit more of a chore than I expected. The Scarlet Empress was probably my favorite of the bunch and a lot of that was just because of how nuts the set design is in that film (Though it makes the bizarre number of title cards for a film from 1934 perhaps standout even more).

I hadn't seen any of von Sternberg's films before watching these (I'll be getting that upcoming Underworld/Last Command/Docks of New York set for a point of comparison at least), but after having liked Dietrich in her later roles like in Destry Rides Again or Touch of Evil I was surprised by how little most of the films in this boxset did for me.

Morocco and The Devil Was a Woman didn't do much for me, but The Scarlet Empress, Dishonored, and Blonde Venus are fantastic. Also liked Shanghai Express.

The silents set is going to be a must-see, though. The Last Command and Docks of New York are amazing, plus Underworld is very good (Ben Hecht gangster movie, what's not to like?)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I know they’re stupid and free, and they also don’t mean anything but drat it I want my criterion membership card. Any word on when they are sending them out. I wanna be extra pretentious when I’m cutting lines of coke.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Morocco and The Devil Was a Woman didn't do much for me, but The Scarlet Empress, Dishonored, and Blonde Venus are fantastic. Also liked Shanghai Express.

The silents set is going to be a must-see, though. The Last Command and Docks of New York are amazing, plus Underworld is very good (Ben Hecht gangster movie, what's not to like?)
Morocco was the weirdest of the bunch to me because the famous cabaret sequence is legitimately fantastic but that comes in the like first 15 minutes and I feel like the rest of the movie really can't rise up to it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The_Rob posted:

I know they’re stupid and free, and they also don’t mean anything but drat it I want my criterion membership card. Any word on when they are sending them out. I wanna be extra pretentious when I’m cutting lines of coke.

I want my Criterion email address. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

cvnvcnv posted:

I want my Criterion email address. :colbert:

weedlordbonerhitler42069@criterion.com already taken