Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Eyes Have It posted:

It took me a long time to figure out how the controller works into the whole ecosystem, but apparently the camera unit doubles as a flight controller (or you could just ignore that and treat it as a VTX if you're just using the camera + goggles). At least, I think that's how it goes.

not the flight controller, the TX reciever, like an XM+ or a Crossfire nano. But it also has the video stuff inside too

So the silver box that the camera connects to is sending video from the drone to the goggles, but also receiving the stick commands from the controller and sending that along to the flight controller which is just a standard Betaflight board. I don't even think this is the first time DJI has sold a product that mixed those two before, but never with this low latency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

It took me a long time to figure out how the controller works into the whole ecosystem, but apparently the camera unit doubles as a flight controller (or you could just ignore that and treat it as a VTX if you're just using the camera + goggles). At least, I think that's how it goes.
No it's basically a receiver and VTX in one. It'll be interesting to see how it works without the DJI radio, and whether they can get some OSD going in the goggles based on sbus telemetry, especially when the FC is getting sbus commands from a different receiver. You can pry my x10 gimbals from my cold dead hands.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

The Eyes Have It posted:

I thought it just doubled as the receiver? You wire it to the FC and it outputs sbus or csrf or something.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see DJI try making a FPV FC but they should also realize they will have to pry our beta/race/butter-flights from our cold, dead, nerdy hands.

Edit: I’m a dummy who should have read the whole thread

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty impressed too, after watching that Rotor Riot video. I mean the cost adds up pretty fast, but if you compare it to just a set of HDOs, a Runcam Split, R-XSR, and a decent VTX the price isn't out of line. The resolution is incredible by comparison though. It would have been awesome to include at least a composite video input to the goggles so you could still fly all your analog equipment with an external diversity receiver or something, as having $500 goggles that only work with the $170 (?) air unit is a bit steep for people like me with a few different FPV setups.

I just did some digging on if the latency has improved in OpenHD this year and looks like it is still about 125ms "glass-to-glass", with 110ms being a best case scenario. Getting better video quality and doing it with such low latency and integrating control and telemetry as well is really amazing and abruptly stops the digital HD for FPV is impossible discussion completely, or at least until we find out all the limitations or problems with the new DJI system.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The system looks impressive. That said, I'm still curious how it'll work in a noisy environment. Or things like someone powering up next to you, while your quad is out in the field.

If I were wanting a HDO and maybe a new remote finally, I'd probably do a complete switch. The added cost is relative.

$170 for the air unit (which includes the camera I think) seems steep, but if you consider the total cost of a robust RC receiver, a decent camera and a decent VTX, you're not really far off either.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Add 2 LHCP antennas too.

The sticker shock IMO is really due to the bundling of items and functions; a pair of had goggles, diversity receiver(s), and antenna kit also isn’t far off the mark, and the DJI stuff’s advantages are huge. Even just being able to one-button channel hop with the VTX following along is a massive QoL improvement.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 1, 2019

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ah I get it, not an FC just a reciever. I may have been confused by assumptions about how DJI ties poo poo together and how I assumed it was supposed to work.

I have a working knowledge of all this stuff (because I fly, but I only fly like an old man afraid to break a hip walks) but boy did I have a hard time figuring that out. There's no block diagrams or sample setups/reference designs or anything. Guess on one hand I'm not the target market but slow dumb unexciting flyers like nice cameras and HMDs, too!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA9eAroS_6I

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm guessing this is all on 2.4ghz? They say 20mhz channel bandwidth, with a max of 8 people flying at once.

Interestingly, fpv.blue switched his chipset (still hasn't shipped yet, ruh roh), and it appeared to be a 720p system as well. So I would not be surprised if DJI and fpv.blue wound up on the same chipset. Cheap, single chip image processing solution.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Rotor Riot guys were yapping about all being on 5.8GHz, that is both video and RC.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

That would probably make the most sense in the racing market. Everyone will want to use their legacy antennas.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The radio antennas look way big for 5.8.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DJI's own website only lists it as 5.7-5.8GHz, so I think the reviewers are right: It's both the control link AND video in a 5.8 signal

https://www.dji.com/ca/fpv/info#specs

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fatshark gonna rush to market: https://www.facebook.com/FatSharkRC...89117317882016/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Considering the DJI one has dual transmitter and quad diversity receiver with appropriate antenna layout, I'd expect that one to work better than whatever Fatshark seems to want to deliver. Not to mention the experience DJI has already from the Lightbridge and OcuSync stuff.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

And the billions of dollars

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, they got caught with their pants down :D

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

CapnBry posted:

It would have been awesome to include at least a composite video input to the goggles so you could still fly all your analog equipment with an external diversity receiver or something
Oh snap, turns out the goggles do have an analog a/v input, at least according to Bardwell. That's nice that you can still fly cheap analog stuff with just an external analog receiver. That makes the goggles a lot more useful especially one they make some better face pads for them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What’s the best sim to teach a young kid 3/4ch airplanes? I have frisky radios so something that takes a USB HID input pls.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Do you already have something like Microsoft Flight Simulator? Tower view mode may be a good start.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Picasim is free and works with Taranis

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Picasim is free and works with Taranis
Wow that is pretty complete for even commercial software, and amazing for free. Why didn't I find this when I was looking for simulators?

I use Real Flight 8 (RF8) Horizon Hobby Edition (I think they're all HH edition now). It works with any HID joystick too. I use a receiver and a Teensy microcontroller programmed to be a joystick to make a wireless link and just read the iBUS packets and convert them to joysticks. I thought at the time that I needed to have the latency to make it more real, but flying airplanes I don't think the added 30ms or so of latency makes any difference. My only complaints about it are that the wind resets to 0 if you change scenes or restart the application and that the UI is sort of half finished. I do like that you can edit the built in planes and change motors or throws or move the CG to see how it affects flight and you can also build your own planes. Its VR support is ok but pretty crap considering there's UI panels that always seem to be in my way, the performance is terrible for the small scenes it has to render, and planes become an unidentifiable speck pretty quickly.

The other downside is that it is hella pricy at $100 compared to most of my homemade planes, which are under $10 in materials.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks everyone. I’ll give picasim a try

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

CapnBry posted:

Why didn't I find this when I was looking for simulators?

You have to troll the depths of rcforgrumpyboomers.com rcgroups.com, it's pretty popular there

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Good news! The new camera for my Tinyhawk S arrived so I can crank some 2s goodness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBHc6uku8CI

Bad news! I'm 99.9% sure I burned out the VTX!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I had some problems with my motors, which I assume had to do with the immense abuse the Tinyhawk has endured. People on the Facebook group said to solder the motors and the problem would go away, but I opted to buy the 'upgrade' 16500kV Emax motors. Problem fixed! But also I only get like 2:20 battery life now with Mockingbird so it's time to revisit tuning

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Played around some more, and I can get a solid 3 minutes of ripping around the back yard. Need to turn 100% down due to jelly at 90+, but otherwise the tune feels really good on 16500kv. I think I probably shouldn't 2S with these motors though?

Lost a battery too, must have dropped it. Luckily the yard was freshly mowed, hopefully I'll find it tomorrow in the sun

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Tried cheapo stick-on ND filter and it's super blotchy and not at all sharp anymore, no contrast. I'm probably using it wrong, but still enjoying putting around the backyard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX0PTYrLEVg

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My Tinyhawk came in and I should have my radio by the end of the week. Still haven't sourced goggles, but I'm hoping one of these FS Dominator auctions on eBay don't get crazy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a decent "Drones for morons" guide out there that anyone can recommend? My radio comes in today and while I have a decent concept of how this all works I'd feel more comfortable if someone laid out the base concepts so I don't go and break something.

eg: The Tinyhawk came with this little USB charger dohickey for the batteries. Fairly self explanatory, but with enough wiggle room that I'm semi concerned about causing something to make these batteries explode. Like I assume that I'd want to flip the switch to .6A for this extra 600 mAh (3.7V) battery I got, but I'm also fairly sure these things don't have as many protections in them to keep me from loving up as DJI's stuff has.

This appears to be it exactly, but I can find a Crazypony charger that looks just like it that very clearly says not to use it on 3.7v batteries (as well as another one from them that does).

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 9, 2019

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
I found Oscar Liang's site helpful, https://oscarliang.com/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Thanks! I like that he has a nice "Click here for new folks" section right at the top. My main concern is not causing a battery to explode through extreme misadventure, but I'd like to think that this USB charger thing has some logic built in. That being said it's off some rando on eBay so who even knows.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
A little fear of a battery fire is not a bad thing. That style of charger is pretty typical for 1S, but it's best to not leave batteries charging unsupervised regardless.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

sigseven posted:

A little fear of a battery fire is not a bad thing. That style of charger is pretty typical for 1S, but it's best to not leave batteries charging unsupervised regardless.
I was wondering the other day when I realized I have three 1S batteries that have sat fully charged for like 3 months, are 1S batteries just so cheap that the everyone just charges them up to full all the time instead of doing storage charge? I hadn't been using storage charge since I fly almost every day, but my (3S) 1400mAh batteries are more like 1000mAh now after maybe 100 cycles and never settling below 3.6V so I'm starting to wonder if I should be charging to storage charge rather than topping them off at the end of every day. I have no way of doing storage charge on 1S though, so I just hooked a power resistor to them to run them down a bit.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
There is a big low-cost, give-no-fucks factor, but there is also definitely a benefit to not leaving them fully charged or empty. Flying it down to ~3.8 is probably the most common way, but if the charger you use for your 3S batteries is halfway decent it will work with little tiny whoop 1S batteries if you get/make an adapter for the smaller plug.

The little 1S batteries don't seem to hold the full charge for long, so I find it's best to top them off right before flying anyway. If it was charged yesterday, you'll probably be taking off at ~4.1V, especially noticeable when racing.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

oops https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifypy0HRzn0

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Good news, I've sourced some goggles for what I hope was a reasonable price. I grabbed some FS Dominator v3s off of eBay. I did not realize that the HD3 SKU was a thing at the time though. Is it safe to assume that the Dominator v3 is a decent enough entry point vs the HD3s? The latter is clearly "better" due to a larger FOV and a bit better resolution, but I don't see myself shelling out the amount that a used pair goes for.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Warbird posted:

Good news, I've sourced some goggles for what I hope was a reasonable price. I grabbed some FS Dominator v3s off of eBay. I did not realize that the HD3 SKU was a thing at the time though. Is it safe to assume that the Dominator v3 is a decent enough entry point vs the HD3s? The latter is clearly "better" due to a larger FOV and a bit better resolution, but I don't see myself shelling out the amount that a used pair goes for.

The only thing with those goggles is they are 16:9 widescreen. Most cameras are 4:3, and most pilots prefer 4:3 because the extra vertical real estate is nice with a quad.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Warbird posted:

I've used Dom V3s for a couple of years now they're great. I actually prefer the widescreen(16:9) picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Good stuff. The seller is taking their sweet time shipping them, but I'm hoping to get them by the end of the week. I've gotten my radio connected to the TH, but I haven't been able to sort out exacrly how to get it to actually do anything yet. I can see the bars moving in BetaFlight so I'm starting to think I need to set up an ignition switch or something. All sorts of fun things to learn!