Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

GodspeedSphere posted:

So my end game day 560 Battle Brothers are still struggling against the Chosen Barbarians. They're so drat infuriating. I'll admit I'm not 100% optimized, but they shouldn't be harder than a monolith or a kraken.

Anyone remembers my stream of consciousness bitching about this from page 178 on? I carry on, trying to see how much I can break the game. I have proceeded to day 990 or so. One Star contracts can have orc warlords or barbarian kings or undead priests. After god knows how many hours I've spent, I've come to this tactic. I won't say it's universal, perfect, or even rigorously tested, but try this:

Back up. (edit: diagonally so they clump up, fyi) The Beastmasters chase you, meaning they do not whip the unholds. The results are predictable.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

ull message:

We’re back from vacation with a rework of everyone’s favorite opponent, the Alp.

Why do a makeover? The intention is to have Alps provide unique encounters and challenges with a puzzle-esque element that is solved differently each time, unlike with the first iteration of Alps, while also be fun and without the tedium that now plagues the second iteration of Alps. All while staying true to their lore.

What’s changed? Alps now work like this: They no longer spawn any shadows. Instead, they attack themselves at medium range. They get a unique passive ability as well as two familiar spells, each with two tiles range, and any combination of the two can be cast per turn.

Their ‘Sleep’ spell will inflict the ‘Sleeping’ status effect, which works similarly to ‘Stunned’ in that a sleeping character is unable to act. However, sleeping characters can be woken by adjacent allies, just like you can free adjacent allies from webs, and using the ‘Rally’ skill wakes up every ally within 4 tiles as well. The effect of the spell can also be resisted in the first place with a successful Resolve check. Finally, after 2 turns (or 1 with the ‘Resilient’ perk), characters wake up on their own again.

The ‘Nightmare’ spell of Alps can only be cast on targets with the ‘Sleeping’ status effect. It inflicts damage that scales inversely with the Resolve of the target (like attacks from shadows did), but can not be resisted entirely. Once a target receives damage like this, it wakes up and loses the ‘Sleeping’ status effect.

Unique among all opponents in the game is the new passive ability of Alps, which works like this: Each time any Alp receives damage, all Alps on the battlefield, with the exception of those stunned or rooted, shuffle to a different position within 2 tiles range of your men. In other words, each attack on an Alp will change the look of the battlefield and will have you reevaluate your priorities, which mirrors how they’re besieging your mind in the lore.

What does all of that mean? Fighting Alps is now much quicker, it’s different each time, and there’s much less incentive to strip everyone naked before each fight because fatigue is not the deciding factor. The strength of Alps also scales less with their numbers, which makes them viable opponents from the early game until the late game. They’re not the most dangerous opponent in the game, but they can and probably will kill some of your men.

Changelog for 1.3.0.24

Changed mechanics of Alp. See above for details.

Fixed characters unable to move out of a zone of control when their opponent is armed with a three-headed flail.

Fixed exploit that allowed the player to lose effective fatigue by switching to items on the ground.

Fixed various minor issues such as typos.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That sounds better but considering it's their third try at making an enemy that sucks not suck, I'll be hesitant until I fight them. Tbf I never actually bothered fighting Alps 2.0, because I always just avoided them because I knew they would be a huge pain, kind of like hexen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I fought the new Alps. Battle was actually quite fun, went by fast, and was very easy (this might be because it was a one-skull contract for a Day 200 company). It felt like fighting less dangerous Necrosavants with how they kept teleporting around, trying to spread out your party chasing them so they can put you to sleep where someone can't easily wake you up. The fact that Rally now wakes up bros at a distance is very good. Overall, I'd say a very positive change that makes alps fun to fight and more in the spirit of the rest of the game instead of some boring tedious bullshit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If it's T2 then as long as you are paying average or under for tools then you should make a profit repairing it.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

vyelkin posted:

I fought the new Alps. Battle was actually quite fun, went by fast, and was very easy (this might be because it was a one-skull contract for a Day 200 company). It felt like fighting less dangerous Necrosavants with how they kept teleporting around, trying to spread out your party chasing them so they can put you to sleep where someone can't easily wake you up. The fact that Rally now wakes up bros at a distance is very good. Overall, I'd say a very positive change that makes alps fun to fight and more in the spirit of the rest of the game instead of some boring tedious bullshit.

Yeah this alp rework is by far the most tolerable.

There's not much left for them to tweak IMHO. Maybe the high end barbarian camps with a mess of unholds and chosen, but I'm starting to come around to the opinion that the game needs more common threats other than the one-offs like the black monolith and goblin city that can challenge late-game companies, and those camps are certainly scary enough.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I've fought the new Alps once so far.
I am now willing to acknowledge the existence of Alps and actually fight them.
The Alps must have realized this and have fled from the game; I haven't seen a nightmares contract since I first fought them about a month ago.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
ive had two alp fights so far. both 3 alps and once with an additional direwolf. they must have heavily negative ranged defense because i was hitting them way above the 30-40% displayed chance to hit.

it was tough but my bros were all so low level that no one had rally yet.

alps behave a little funny if you have bros in bushes that they know are in there but cant see. most of the time they dance around one step at a time staying out of your zone of control and use up all their AP without sleeping anyone.

other times they just sleep/nightmare your melee bro in the bush at the start of the round. it wasnt very consistent.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
Word is the update broke some mods. Anyone have an idea if true/which?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Word is the update broke some mods. Anyone have an idea if true/which?
Apart from the obvious Alp mods, it should just be those that override some of the AI parent files. I don't know which of these were changed but config/ai.cnut definitely was. I modded it myself and my modded version broke the new Alps because it of course didn't include the new teleport ability so the game couldn't find it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Had a fight against Necrosavants, standard procedure until, all of a sudden, my bros decided to miss all their attacks. After two turns of doing less damage than the remaining Necrosavants healed back as they started getting through my armor I eventually had to sacrifice a relatively new recruit so one of my best high level bros could live.
The chosen sacrifice was a militiaman with good overall stats but only 37 Resolve at level 5. A bro I wasn't sure would make the cut anyway.
The Necrosavants took the bait but didn't quite kill him off. My bros could still save him and end the fight with no casualties.
They didn't. Instead they refused to land a hit at all.
One turn later, the militiaman goes down and of course, now every attack connects and we win the fight in short order.
And then I see that the militiaman was only struck down.
And his permanent injury is brain damage, meaning the complete refusal of his brothers in arms to do their job fixed his Resolve issues for good.
They do look out for each other. :)

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Wizard Styles posted:

Apart from the obvious Alp mods, it should just be those that override some of the AI parent files. I don't know which of these were changed but config/ai.cnut definitely was. I modded it myself and my modded version broke the new Alps because it of course didn't include the new teleport ability so the game couldn't find it.

Should be fine then. Mostly UI stuff and an extra perk every 5 levels beyond 11.

Wizard Styles posted:

Had a fight against Necrosavants, standard procedure until, all of a sudden, my bros decided to miss all their attacks. After two turns of doing less damage than the remaining Necrosavants healed back as they started getting through my armor I eventually had to sacrifice a relatively new recruit so one of my best high level bros could live.
The chosen sacrifice was a militiaman with good overall stats but only 37 Resolve at level 5. A bro I wasn't sure would make the cut anyway.
The Necrosavants took the bait but didn't quite kill him off. My bros could still save him and end the fight with no casualties.
They didn't. Instead they refused to land a hit at all.
One turn later, the militiaman goes down and of course, now every attack connects and we win the fight in short order.
And then I see that the militiaman was only struck down.
And his permanent injury is brain damage, meaning the complete refusal of his brothers in arms to do their job fixed his Resolve issues for good.
They do look out for each other. :)

Brain damage is one of the best injuries. Had it happen to my already decent sergeant. Got him to almost 150 resolve it did :yarr: :v:

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
I just had that bug where someone dies, and then gets up with negative HP. Characters are still there with 1 hp, got a level and all. I also got their armours duplicated. Good for me, but what the heck. One of them seems to have died twice. I now have a good collection of mail and sallet helmets :v: Snow Unhold fight if that matters. Nothing in the obituary. I use the detailed obituary mod. Could that have something to do with it? :raise:

Edit: Yep. The game gone done broke itself. One guy who died could not change or repair his armour. Then in the next fight people refused to die until the game crashed upon the third bashing of Asbjørn the Barbarian's brains.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 6, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

I just had that bug where someone dies, and then gets up with negative HP. Characters are still there with 1 hp, got a level and all. I also got their armours duplicated. Good for me, but what the heck. One of them seems to have died twice. I now have a good collection of mail and sallet helmets :v: Snow Unhold fight if that matters. Nothing in the obituary. I use the detailed obituary mod. Could that have something to do with it? :raise:

Edit: Yep. The game gone done broke itself. One guy who died could not change or repair his armour. Then in the next fight people refused to die until the game crashed upon the third bashing of Asbjørn the Barbarian's brains.
I've had something like that happen twice, both times to a Hexe who would happily go on and charm bros after not-dying. The first time it happened I didn't have the obituary mod installed.
I didn't check the log unfortunately, so not sure what broke there and if it was a function that also gets called when a bro dies.

e: That said it could also have something to do with the obituary mod in your case. In either case it's probably a function that gets called before the dying unit is fully despawned loving up, breaking everything and leaving that unit around in some weird half there half gone state.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 6, 2019

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Wizard Styles posted:

I've had something like that happen twice, both times to a Hexe who would happily go on and charm bros after not-dying. The first time it happened I didn't have the obituary mod installed.
I didn't check the log unfortunately, so not sure what broke there and if it was a function that also gets called when a bro dies.

e: That said it could also have something to do with the obituary mod in your case. In either case it's probably a function that gets called before the dying unit is fully despawned loving up, breaking everything and leaving that unit around in some weird half there half gone state.

Well. Never went and looked for a log file before now. It even shows the AI choosing behaviors. Quite detailed. I should probably post this log and the savegame in some bug report forum?

In any case this is the end of it, where things really go wrong:

Take note of the Better Obituary Mod in the script snippet there.

What I'm wondering now is if i can use BBedit to remove the bugged brothers, kill the mod, and keep on murdering with this campaign. It's been a good LoneWolf run so far.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 7, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GodspeedSphere posted:

Anyone remembers my stream of consciousness bitching about this from page 178 on? I carry on, trying to see how much I can break the game. I have proceeded to day 990 or so. One Star contracts can have orc warlords or barbarian kings or undead priests. After god knows how many hours I've spent, I've come to this tactic. I won't say it's universal, perfect, or even rigorously tested, but try this:

Back up. (edit: diagonally so they clump up, fyi) The Beastmasters chase you, meaning they do not whip the unholds. The results are predictable.

I tried this secret tactic, it didn't work. The beastmasters just stayed in place and whipped the unholds from across the map. Evidently they have infinite range and infinite vision with that move.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So I have made a lot of changes to the game since modding became possible.
Among other things, Head Hunter now gives a flat +20% chance to hit the head and two-handed flail skills lost their chance to stun, instead getting a guaranteed daze effect on a hit to the head.

First run with these changes and I end up with the perfect bro and weapon for the obvious gimmick build:

Unfortunately, at the height of the noble war I got into a fight against 2 companies at once, 31 soldiers in total:

RIP Hilmar, you were too beautiful for this world. (Also RIP that Brawler who died in the same fight and was a much better bro overall but not nearly as fun as the guy that would just spin to win all day.)

New run. It's day 12 and I have some money for the first time after a bit of trading and looting primitive art from barbarians. A good time to look for some decent recruits.

We go again. :getin:

e: nvm

In retrospect, this post was pretty much a guaranteed kiss of death. :v:

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 11, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh great, Alps are now bullshit necrosavant light teleporters.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

:v:

:v:

:suicide:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I have been playing the lone wolf or poacher start and just following/protecting caravans free of charge just so I can deal with that exact scenario of too many brigands with the tactic of running away

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
what area does the second ijirok location show up in?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

After reloading quite a few times, I finally got a run at this bandit camp with a named dude in it with an acceptable amount of losses. Scored a good bit of loot, too, besides the sword, all the spears are super useful to have, drat things have been really rare so far.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
How do you get a reputation as being Good in this game? I always have my brothers not rat out the escaped serfs/help wagons out of the mud/etc and never do any peasant slaughtering jobs but my brothers' morality never seems to go up or whatever.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pretty sure that it’s actually impossible. I remember some goon posted that they did it but they’re a god damned liar :colbert:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Molybdenum posted:

what area does the second ijirok location show up in?

Pretty sure its the tundra, so the bit between the permafrost areas and the more northerly foresty bits, seems to spawn anywhere in a band to the south of the cave.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
So I've decided to wrap up my first major post-DLC campaign after about 300 days and two crises. It ended up being the standard start with a regular 1H, 2H and crossbow brother. I've experimented with lots of different starts and seeds, and gotten some to post 100-days but I really hit a groove on this last one. I'm interested in exploring Lone Wolf and Cultist starts next, any good seeds and advice for either start would awesome. I've only gotten to around 20 days on either, Lone Wolf seems cool but you need to be very deliberate in picking your fights early on, and the one time I tried the Cultist start I had decent beginning brothers but the first sacrifice event literally ripped my company apart, had to sacrifice one good non-cultist brother and the other non-cultists abandoned after. Is there some way to prepare or mitigate these sacrifice events? Should I even bother recruiting non-Cultists?

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

tomanton posted:

How do you get a reputation as being Good in this game? I always have my brothers not rat out the escaped serfs/help wagons out of the mud/etc and never do any peasant slaughtering jobs but my brothers' morality never seems to go up or whatever.

I never had this happen until my last run, I did not do anything intentionally to get a "good" reputation but what I can say I did that I think helped was choosing the noble crisis for my first crisis. I usually do this because the noble crisis can be ignored entirely if you so wish. So I was in a position where I was not ready for any of the siege or pillaging missions and so I did not engage with any of those contracts at all. I guess 100+ days of beast slaying, bandit hunting, artifact retrieval and raiding undead and orc camps was enough to push me to "good". I didn't notice any gameplay or story benefits from it though, I literally didn't notice at all till I happened to take a closer look at the faction screen between the two crises.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
There are one or two noble contracts that you only get if you have low Reputation.
Apart from that I think it does literally nothing.

I got it to Kind in a game that lasted until I was done with both 47 enemy locations once and felt good about it for 10 seconds when I noticed.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

tomanton posted:

I posted a pic earlier but it seems completely arbitrary. Sparing bandits also counts towards being kind I think?

edit:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 20, 2019

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i beat the goblin town. i thought the flavor would explain the helmet but nope, they just randomly have this really cool helmet for humans.

still looking for ijirok. also the black obelisk. and i need to gather unhold hides for the kraken.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

i beat the goblin town. i thought the flavor would explain the helmet but nope, they just randomly have this really cool helmet for humans.

does everything need to be explained? use your imagination. it's an ancient long-lost artifact, maybe they scavenged it from a battlefield or ruin somewhere and their shaman said it was magical so they worship it or something, maybe they killed and took it from an adventurer and kept it as a trophy, who knows

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Wafflecopper posted:

does everything need to be explained? use your imagination. it's an ancient long-lost artifact, maybe they scavenged it from a battlefield or ruin somewhere and their shaman said it was magical so they worship it or something, maybe they killed and took it from an adventurer and kept it as a trophy, who knows

They take turns wearing it, going “look at meee I’m a human!” :histdowns:
Gotta love those scrappy little buggers.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Mount and Blade is what Goblins think humans act like

"ITS ALMOST HARVESTING SEASON"

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Molybdenum posted:

The ancient empire was conquered by goblins who took the emperor's helmet as a trophy. The legions of the empire came back as arrow-resistant, poison-immune skeletons out of sheer hatred for goblinkind.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
the passage said something like

you burn the town and pillage, you go into a goblin temple that used to be a human fort and see a blind goblin shaman crawling on the floor, you stab him. you meet up with mr goblin predator, do a "son of a bitch" handshake and depart.

just a line that the shaman was crawling toward a pedestal with a baller helmet on it. you pick it up and have a false king or emperor vision. then mr goblin predator wakes you from the vision, do a "son of a bitch" handshake and depart.

bing bang boom so simple

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It says you pillage the place. The helmet is there among all the other valuables in their treasure hoard, because the goblins looted it from somewhere. It really doesn't need a specific explanation.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I was just glad to finally reunite my man with his long lost pecker:

Also for like the third time I've taken a game past day 100 and I'm having trouble finishing these kinda of builds at level 11, I just don't know what to take for the last 2 perks. Although I have really fallen in a love with mace frontliners and the heavy crossbow/warscythe bros this run.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Molybdenum posted:

the passage said something like

you burn the town and pillage, you go into a goblin temple that used to be a human fort and see a blind goblin shaman crawling on the floor, you stab him. you meet up with mr goblin predator, do a "son of a bitch" handshake and depart.

just a line that the shaman was crawling toward a pedestal with a baller helmet on it. you pick it up and have a false king or emperor vision. then mr goblin predator wakes you from the vision, do a "son of a bitch" handshake and depart.

bing bang boom so simple

Do you really need a detailed explanation for why a city literally full of goblins has shiny poo poo in it? Goblins hoard shiny poo poo and valuables, which a fancy helmet would count as. Like this is fantasy 101 here.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
Doing a build for a shield wall/indomitable tank. Purpose is to tie down a bunch of enemies, mostly by being surrounded and smacking them if they try to leave his threatened squares. Now, for hit chances (just need one) is a three headed flail with the 3 separate rolls better than a spear? My mathematically inept brain says yes, but does anyone have a reason why it is not so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wizard Styles posted:

The ancient empire was conquered by goblins who took the emperor's helmet as a trophy. The legions of the empire came back as arrow-resistant, poison-immune skeletons out of sheer hatred for goblinkind.

this is my headcanon now