Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

ed balls balls man posted:

I'd put them on the tier above airplane fiction. Fun reads but don't take it too seriously. That being said i've also preordered every release.

seconding this post. Didn't enjoy the most recent one as much as the first few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Affi posted:

Pierce Brown good or bad?

Depends on whether you like Hunger Games.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

General Battuta posted:

I’m in final substantive edits on Baru 3, there’s a lot left to do and it’s way too long but I think I’m gonna be happy with it in a way I really wasn’t with the second :shobon:

I had a very hard time reading the second because I couldn't keep the names straight or remember who everyone was and what their motives were. I ended up bouncing off a third of the way through.

I'm thinking maybe if I reread 1 and then 2 immediately after I might be able to follow along.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

The Chad Jihad posted:

If I wanted a book or series that was as close to the Dominions computer game series as possible, if not in content then aesthetic/feel, would there be any good options

My man, probably not what you are looking for, but

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307

A CYOA six years on the making, with an entire world either simulated on Dominion or some other arcane technology. Muscle wizards fighting against hordes of evil while trying to save mankind from divinities that just don't care.

I know, forum CYOA, But its way better than it has any right to be

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nemo posted:

My man, probably not what you are looking for, but

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307

A CYOA six years on the making, with an entire world either simulated on Dominion or some other arcane technology. Muscle wizards fighting against hordes of evil while trying to save mankind from divinities that just don't care.

I know, forum CYOA, But its way better than it has any right to be

The link in the first post to a recap, doesn't lead to a recap.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kestral posted:

The Raven Tower gave me a strong Dominions feel. The gods of that setting are very much in the Pretenders vein, and the chapters revolving around them are, at least IMO, the best part of the book.

Hell, the narrator is straight-up a Pretender chassis, and made me want to do a game as a Strength and Patience of the Hills-themed big-stone-head.

That's actually an excellent recommendation, yeah.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Godstalk by P C Hodgell might fit the bill. I only started reading it before getting distracted but iirc it was about a city teaming with entities that are would-be gods.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Gutter Prayer is v. dominions, now that I think about it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

If I wanted a book or series that was as close to the Dominions computer game series as possible, if not in content then aesthetic/feel, would there be any good options

The guy that writes all the nation backstories and so on for that game is an actual academic of mythology and folklore and most of it it is based very directly on real myth and folklore. so you should be looking at actual premodern texts, like the Norse sagas and the eddas, the Tain, the Popul Vuh, collections of folktales, epic poems like Homer, the Upanishads, all that kind of stuff. no modern fantasy writer is going to do stuff with a similar feel and you should ignore the utter clownshoes recommendations you were given(david eddings lol, this forum is incredible).

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Affi posted:

Pierce Brown good or bad?

I find his books the most addictive not very good books I have ever read. The first one starts off kind of rough, the second I really liked a lot, the third was a notch below the second.

One thing that does become apparent though is that the writing and presentation of the world in the first trilogy is absolutely biased around the perspective of the viewpoint character who in the first book is like, eighteen? There were things I thought 'well this seems a bit dumb' in the first book that by book three were obviously the viewpoint character being dumb and ignorant as to the implications of things.

I am on the new book right now but I really liked Iron Gold for having the aftermath of the glorious revolution being... hosed up, partial, complicated and riddled with compromises, with idealistic characters shown as flawed in their own ways.

So not high literature but something that once you get past the beginning is prone to grabbing the mind and not letting go until you finish. Also the ending of book two was just unfair when you had to wait a year for book three.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I play a lot of Dominions myself, and I've found the feel of Late Era Dominions games is represented very well by the Black Company series. The Company effectively works for an Enchantress pretender and her awful undead wizard-generals for the first several books, and even beyond those the series keeps the flavor of 'basically ordinary people caught between the ambitions of stupendously powerful sorcerers and worse things' that Late Era games so often invoke.

e: I'd also recommend the Malazan Book of the Fallen series for a comparable but more Middle Era feel

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've never played Dominions but it's the rare fantasy strategy game that doesn't have some Black Company inspiration in it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've never played Dominions but it's the rare fantasy strategy game that doesn't have some Black Company inspiration in it.

The Myth series, especially the first game, is probably the most extreme example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-5smq807k

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Myth 1 and 2 are sick military fantasy and good real time tactics. There was some other recent game that obviously took a lot from Black Company but details are slipping my mind right now

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Neurosis posted:

Myth 1 and 2 are sick military fantasy and good real time tactics. There was some other recent game that obviously took a lot from Black Company but details are slipping my mind right now

Tyranny by Obsidian maybe? Does the same "working for the evil empire" thing where you're a agent of the Dark Lord tasked with crushing the last remnants of rebellion and dealing with bickering generals

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Since there's so much Black Company / Malazan / Myth love in this thread, I have to do my TradGames duty and mention Band of Blades, a new tabletop RPG that does an excellent job of giving you the feel of a Black Company novel.

On topic, has anyone here read Urth of the New Sun? I'm in the mood for something in that vein, but it's been a few years since I read Book of the New Sun, and I'm wondering how necessary it is to read it immediately after Book.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Some treat it as a coda but it always just feels like novel 5 of 5 (or 5 of 12 to be exact) to me. It’s fully part of the series and a great, beautiful novel in and of itself. I read it straight after Citadel and it felt like coming full circle.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
I would definitely advise reading Urth of the New Sun only when the four books of Book of the New Sun are fresh in your mind since there's lots of callbacks and even explicit commentary by the narrator about the earlier parts of the story.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Urth is kind of jarring to read right after the first four as the writing is very different but after a few chapters it feels very much a continuation.

I love it, its half rip roaring sci fi adventure and half pseudo religious text. Fills in a lot of detail about the world of the New Sun books in subtle ways.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
SM Stirling's Dies the Fire sets up such an interesting premise then fumbles the delivery so tragically

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/BancroftJosiah/status/1157283324731252736

:laffo:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grandma’s right

Megafonzie
Oct 26, 2012

????????????
Still reading The Reality Dysfunction. It's still bad. But now I'm 300 pages in and I don't think I can stop. Why do I keep hurting myself like this?

Well, the Lalonde parts so far are alright. Every time it goes back to Joshua Calvert's story I want to die though. He just sucks so much rear end.

Also, to whoever mentioned book of the new sun: it good. I have read the first two books of it, and recently picked up the second two at a bookstore, so I'll probably get to them soon. Well, after I read China Mieville's The Scar. Lots on my plate right now.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Megafonzie posted:

Still reading The Reality Dysfunction. It's still bad. But now I'm 300 pages in and I don't think I can stop. Why do I keep hurting myself like this?

Well, the Lalonde parts so far are alright. Every time it goes back to Joshua Calvert's story I want to die though. He just sucks so much rear end.

I have bad news for you.
He is the typical Hamilton protagonist and one of the constant lows of the series. Fortunately the space marine action makes up for it.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Finished Chasm City. I did enjoy it a lot but not as much as Revelation Space. The worldbuilding continues to be great but I think I found the plot kind of fell apart for me a bit when all the threads started coming together. In particular, I think the whole Tanner = Cahuella = Sky Haussmann thing seemed a bit ridiculous and honestly I feel like I've seen that sort of plot so many places now, and never done as well as Use of Weapons . Will probably still read Redemption Ark next though!

Megafonzie
Oct 26, 2012

????????????
I hadn't heard of Revelation Space and just looked it up. It's going on my list for sure. Maybe I'll even read it next instead of those other things I mentioned...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Carrier posted:

Finished Chasm City. I did enjoy it a lot but not as much as Revelation Space. The worldbuilding continues to be great but I think I found the plot kind of fell apart for me a bit when all the threads started coming together. In particular, I think the whole Tanner = Cahuella = Sky Haussmann thing seemed a bit ridiculous and honestly I feel like I've seen that sort of plot so many places now, and never done as well as Use of Weapons . Will probably still read Redemption Ark next though!

Damnit, I should have known better than to click on that second spoiler since I haven't read that one yet.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Damnit, I should have known better than to click on that second spoiler since I haven't read that one yet.

Yeah sorry about that one, I couldn't really figure out a way of saying what the spoiler was without giving away the spoiler :/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Carrier posted:

In particular, I think the whole Tanner = Cahuella = Sky Haussmann thing seemed a bit ridiculous

Reynolds does that plot again and again and again.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Carrier posted:

Yeah sorry about that one, I couldn't really figure out a way of saying what the spoiler was without giving away the spoiler :/

Maybe if you said Ian M Banks novel Use of Weapons that's what I would do.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Carrier posted:

Nah I just had a failure of the brain. I've already read Chasm City so I guess I just wanted to REVEAL EVERYTHING

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Man murderbot diaries were amazing (thanks for the rec) but soooooo short.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

an excellent grandmother

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I enjoyed this book and its sequel but now I enjoy this grandma more.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Do I Bother You At Night was a damned good read. Great mix of Lovecraft, King, and 80s slasher vibe. Also might be the single best description/writing of depression I have ever read.

Troy Aaron Ratliff is the author, and it's on KU.

Sci fi/thriller about a farmer in Kansas who gets a new neighbor and poo poo gets weird.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Depressing to read about Eddings, I liked his stuff as a teen and it always seemed very innocent, standard fantasy stuff.

I really like stories with tons of practical detail. Does anyone have any recommendations similar to Nathan Lowell’s Ravenwood, in which a small group set up a tiny settlement and there’s a lot of discussion of the steps involved in doing so? The grandest thing that happens is building an inn.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Beefeater1980 posted:

Depressing to read about Eddings, I liked his stuff as a teen and it always seemed very innocent, standard fantasy stuff.

I really like stories with tons of practical detail. Does anyone have any recommendations similar to Nathan Lowell’s Ravenwood, in which a small group set up a tiny settlement and there’s a lot of discussion of the steps involved in doing so? The grandest thing that happens is building an inn.

You might want to look into LE Modesitt Jr's Recluce series, there's a ton of small detail into slice of life stuff and woodworking. Really slow books though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

Jules Verne's Mysterious Island?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

C.M. Kruger posted:

Tyranny by Obsidian maybe? Does the same "working for the evil empire" thing where you're a agent of the Dark Lord tasked with crushing the last remnants of rebellion and dealing with bickering generals

Yeah that's it. Good game in many ways, but a little underdeveloped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat, new Craig Schaefer book out in October, 5th book in the Harmony Black series called A Time To Kill.

He just had one come out a few days ago, or last week maybe? that was a crime thriller.